My Dr. Said No To Oral Minoxidil. Help?

patrickstewart

Reaction score
I'm attempting to regrow my hair over the next several years, and connect my results with a transplant. I just ordered finasteride, but wanted to speak with my Dr. about Oral Minoxidil, to make sure my heart was healthy enough to take it. My blood pressure is normal, and my blood tests show I'm perfectly healthy.

However, he advised against Oral Minoxidil as it's not good for the heart, although I do see plenty of guys on here and HairLossTalk.com, etc. taking it. He told me that the he couldn't recommend it regardless, as there's too much liability attached. As a healthy 34 year old Male, should I get a second opinion? I want to take 1.25 mg per day, so not a concerning dose by any means.

Has anyone spoken to their Dr. about Oral Min? I'm about to just go ahead and order it!

LITUATUI

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil is probably the most effective drug to fight male androgenetic alopecia, but there are risks.

In most studies about oral minoxidil effects on Androgenetic Alopecia subjects toke 5 or 2,5 mg doses. I think that a 1,25 mg dose in the morning would be ok, but measure your resting heart rate frequently.

https://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(19)30685-1/fulltext

---

Having this said, I'm thinking about trying liquid minoxidil orally. Only one drop in a teaspoon per day (around 2,5 mg) in the morning.

If taken with care, oral minoxidil can be safer than topical, because you know exactly how much of it will be systemic.

"Pharmacokinetically, approximately 1.4% of topical minoxidil is absorbed through a normal scalp..."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6691938/

However, every scalp is different, so topical absorption will vary, even more if dermaneedling is used. Therefore is very hard to control systemic absorption of topical minoxidil.

If the 1,4 % figure is correct it means that the average person that uses 1 ml of topical 5 % minoxidil twice a day (100 mg) is getting 1,4 mg absorbed internally. People that dermaneedle will absorb more.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, stop repeting that crap that oral minoxidil is the best drug for hair loss. Is a drug that was tested oral more than 30 years ago, and they went for topical, cause it is simple more effective and there is tons of less risk.
Minoxidil have an extremly low molecular way and it easily reach the follicle.
That studies made on oral don't test is people that don't respond to topical then respond to oral, or checking the sulfate minoxidil, they are really, really, bad designer studies.

Want to have a superior minoxidil ? Add tretinoin.

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, stop repeting that crap that oral minoxidil is the best drug for hair loss. Is a drug that was tested oral more than 30 years ago, and they went for topical, cause it is simple more effective and there is tons of less risk.
That studies made on oral don't test is people that don't respond to topical then respond to oral, or checking the sulfate minoxidil, they are really, really, bad designer studies.

Please explain to me why I had hairloss while taking 5% topical on and off for several years combined with finasteride..and then regrew nearly everything in less than 4 months on oral without any finasteride.

MxMa

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hey man, what is the purpose of adding tretinoin to minoxidil?
Tnx

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you really want oral minoxidil, just get a consultation with a doctor who prescribes it. Where do you live? I know one who's in Brussels, Belgium and you can message me if you need more details.

patrickstewart

Reaction score
If you really want oral minoxidil, just get a consultation with a doctor who prescribes it. Where do you live? I know one who's in Brussels, Belgium and you can message me if you need more details.
Prob. a dumb question, but is there a way to figure out which doctors will prescribe it? I don't want to pay for another consultation just to be denied for the oral min. Thanks

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, what is the purpose of adding tretinoin to minoxidil?
Tnx
This combo is used since more than 20 years ago, it is why the Xandrox of Dr Lee was so popular . Here you have a 2019 study :
Tretinoin enhances minoxidil response in androgenetic alopecia patients by upregulating follicular sulfotransferase enzymes.

In that study, and this is how an study should be done, they treat people with topical minoxidil, from that group, a 43 % didn't respond. So to that 43 % they five it with tretinoin, and all of them respond . Then, they tested the sulfotransferase enzime on this subject, before and after, and they see the increase when they added treinoin . This enzyme is need it to conver inactive minoxidil into active minoxidil.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
This combo is used since more than 20 years ago, it is why the Xandrox of Dr Lee was so popular . Here you have a 2019 study :
Tretinoin enhances minoxidil response in androgenetic alopecia patients by upregulating follicular sulfotransferase enzymes.

In that study, and this is how an study should be done, they treat people with topical minoxidil, from that group, a 43 % didn't respond. So to that 43 % they five it with tretinoin, and all of them respond . Then, they tested the sulfotransferase enzime on this subject, before and after, and they see the increase when they added treinoin . This enzyme is need it to conver inactive minoxidil into active minoxidil.

Oral or Topical? Does it matter? I’d prefer doing both oral.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Like it is stated on the article that will take you 2 minutes to read it, we are talking about topical.
Oral don't work better than topical, there is not a single study that prove that is better, and it have more side effects.
Cheers!

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m seeing my doctor tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can get some oral minoxidil

I will consider topical tretinoin. If it helps it helps.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Very interesting. I haven't heard before about tretinoin. Is this some kind of vehicle for minoxidil or just something to boost the power of minoxidil? Do you have some personal experience with it?
It boost minoxidil, increaseing the active minoxidil by increasing and enzyme .
Plus , tretinoin have anti DHT properties .
Yes, I use it.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
It boost minoxidil, increaseing the active minoxidil by increasing and enzyme .
Plus , tretinoin have anti DHT properties .
Yes, I use it.

I visited my Doctor yesterday who said it’s a strong acne chemical that better prepares the scalp for minoxidil.

So when do you use it and when do you use min?

I was thinking an hour before min could be good. But I dunno. 5 mins could be good. So might mixing foam and T?