MILK does a body good! what about your hair?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
IBM said:
i think diary milk is not good for our health.

You mean like when you're writing an entry in your daily diary, and you spill a glass of milk onto it and it soaks-up a lot of it, and then your diary is slowly dripping milk for the next couple of hours? Yeah, it's probably not good to drink that! :)

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
I know they will not sell non-homogenized milk since it separates. Maybe they will, but since it can spoil, I'm sure it costs more than organic butter from grass fed cows. So I'd rather buy non-fat milk and butter than whole milk. I can put the butter on my rice. Now the pasterization process is another issue. Anyone know how to get all our nutrients and cofacters when milk is pasterized? I'm sure non-pasturized mill is very expensive since it can spoil so fast.

bubka

Reaction score
powersam said:
so does anyone know where prehistoric man got his calcium from? or maybe he just didnt, natures way isn't always the best way.
many greens are a decent source, nuts, berries, small bones and fish

the dairy industry has you guys warped that milk is the only source..

powersam

Reaction score
warped? i'm just asking a question as i'm interested in your point of view.

which greens specifically?

i wonder does bone marrow contain good amounts of calcium? or any organ meats? (still wondering how prehistoric man got calcium)

bubka

Reaction score
sam, do a freaking google search, or are you one of these people who needs everything pointed out to you?

RDA is 800mg, a mere cup of greens is ~350mg, pretty easy to add up

powersam

Reaction score
so what kinds of greens do you mean? theres lots of green things one can eat, i'd assume they all had different amounts of calcium. and what colour should the cup be, if i'm to measure out a cup of greens that is?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
RDA is 800mg, a mere cup of greens is ~350mg

Hmmm...could we be exaggerating just a tad, there? :)

Bryan

bubka

Reaction score
powersam said:
so what kinds of greens do you mean? theres lots of green things one can eat, i'd assume they all had different amounts of calcium. and what colour should the cup be, if i'm to measure out a cup of greens that is?
a cup is a form of measurement specific to cooking... i the colour of the cup is irrelevant

Collard greens
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm

use freaking google man

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan wrote:

From the medical and nutritional establishments, that's where it came from! For years (DECADES, actually) they've been feeding the public a very simplistic, kindergarten-level message: heart disease is caused by eating saturated fat and cholesterol. But it's FAR more complicated than just that. Slowly but surely, people are getting the word about the importance of trace minerals, antioxidant nutrients, trans-fats, and other subtle dietary issues which are PROFOUNDLY relevant to the scourge of heart disease.

I'm aware of these facts. What makes me angry is the agressive advice we've been given by organizations like the AMA stating saturated fats are dangerous, unhealthy and should not, in essence, be consumed.

The standard advice of limiting fats, going on low fat diets, etc. That's what makes me angry. Isn't that still the recommended advice from the AMA? Maybe it has changed? If it has I'm not aware of it.

From the AMA site:

The basics remain important:
-see your doctor for a complete medical evaluation, lipid profile, blood -sugar and blood pressure check,
-maintain a healthy lifestyle with a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, fish, and healthy oils,
-match calorie intake to activity,
-exercising for at least 30 minutes everyday,
-limit salt use,
-avoid concentrated sweets and saturated as well as trans fats,
avoid tobacco use and exposure, and
-make sure your doctor knows what medications or drugs you are using, what medical problems exist in your blood relatives, what new stresses you face and any symptoms of problems that you are experiencing.

From the AMA on healthy oils:

What we now know:

Saturated fats, cholesterol, and trans fatty acids are unhealthy and are associated with an increase in cardiac events and should be avoided. They are found with fatty meat, with the skin of poultry, in whole or higher fat dairy products such as butter, cream, milk, or cheese, and hard vegetable oils such as stick margarine or partially hydrogenated products.

Good fats include mono-unsaturated fats and poly-unsaturated fats and are essential for health. Mono-unsaturated fats are found in products made from olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, nuts, and seeds. Poly-unsaturated fats include omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in most fish as well as canola oil, flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, and nuts such as walnuts. Omega-6 fatty acids are found in canola oil, corn oil, safflower oil, as well as cottonseed oil. Products made with these oils include soft or squeeze margarine products, mayonnaise, and salad dressings.

Good fats (usually referred to as healthy oils) are rich in anti-oxidants, oil-based vitamins, and are associated with reduced cardiovascular events. Mono-unsaturated fats increase the HDL or healthy cholesterol, while a good balance of products rich in both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids provide some anti-clotting benefits and appear to reduce the likelihood of cardiac arrhythmias as well as second heart attacks. Certain plant oils called plant sterols and stanols reduce LDL cholesterol and can be used as a supplement or added to spreads to actually improve cholesterol levels.

bubka

Reaction score
hydrogenated fats are worse than trans fats as the bonds are even tougher to break down and likely to be stored as fat and promote LDL cholesterols

powersam

Reaction score
these collared greens you speak of, exactly how does one collar them? i'd assume it would require some sort of lasso?

Felk

Reaction score
Oh stop telling people to google things bubka, so much health information on the internet is a load of sh*t.

docj077

Reaction score
So, this thread seems like it has broken down into madness. Dairy milk that is fortified with vitmain D and has some fats is one of the best things for you in the world.

If you're going to eat or drink something that has calcium in it, make sure you're either getting vitamin D with that food or in something else you're eating.

Calcium absolutely requires vitamin D for absorption in the intestine. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

As for the fat content...

The lipid soluble vitamins A,D,E,and K require that the be absorbed with fats. High dose multivitamins that give you these vitamins are no good without a breakfast or meal with fat in it. They just aren't absorbed.

So, taking your multivitamin and then drinking a glass of milk is pretty much the best thing you can do for your body in the morning. That, or eat a stick of butter with your vitamin.

I hope this helps this conversation.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if you are convinced that milk is poisonous, don't drink it.

if you don't care about the calories (everyone needs a certain amount of calories per day) milk isn't bad.