MILK does a body good! what about your hair?

bubka

Reaction score
Bryan, the majority of the worlds population cannot digest lactose because through human evolution, we lose the enzyme. Now you can go on your kick of how there is
"no reason to avoid them, based just on silly faux-philosophical grounds"
but I guess mother nature is wrong, and Bryan is right, because he likes milk, and so should you.

:lol: What ever man. Your "kitty cat or dog" argument does not even hold water either. Animals will drink most things you put in front of them... I mean do you even know what happens when a cat or dog drinks milk??? They get sick, like the majority of humans. Adult cats and dogs are lactose intolerant too Bryan... but I am sure its healthy to have such a nutritious food give you diarrhea. Your point makes no sense as you relate it to being nutritious and natural, yet it causes diarrhea.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Milk and dairy

If we look at nature, we see that the young feed exclusively on milk until weaned away from it with other foods. The natural disappearance of the milk-digesting enzyme lactase from the human system upon reaching maturity proves that adult humans have no more nutritional need for milk than adult tigers or chimpanzees.

Though milk is a complete protein food when consumed raw, it also contains fat, which means that it combines poorly with any other food except itself. Yet adults today routinely 'wash down' other foods with cold milk. Milk curdles immediately upon entering the stomach, so if there is other food present the curds coagulate around other food particles and insulate them from exposure to gastric juices, delaying digestion long enough to permit the onset of putrefaction. Therefore, the first and foremost rule of milk consumption is, 'Drink it alone, or leave it alone.'

Today, milk is made even more indigestible by the universal practice of pasteurization, which destroys its natural enzymes and alters its delicate proteins.
Raw milk contains the active enzymes lactase and lipase, which permit raw milk to digest itself. Pasteurized milk, which is devitalized of lactase and other active enzymes, simply can not be properly digested by adult stomachs, and even infants have trouble with it, as evidenced by colic, rashes, respiratory ailments, gas and other common ailments of bottle-fed babies. The lack of enzymes and alteration of vital proteins also renders the calcium and other mineral elements in milk largely unassailable.

It is far more profitable to the dairy industry to pasteurize milk to extend its shelf-life, though such denatured milk does nothing whatsoever to extend human life.

Furthermore, pasteurization renders milk from sick cows in unsanitary dairies relatively 'harmless' by killing some, but not all, dangerous germs, and this too cuts costs for the dairy industry.

To make things worse, milk is now routinely 'homogenized' to prevent the cream from separating from the milk. This involves the fragmentation and pulverization of the fat molecules to the point that they will not separate from the rest of the milk. But it also permits there tiny fragments of milk fat to easily pass through the villa of the small intestine, greatly increasing the amount of denatured fat and cholesterol absorbed by the body. In fact, you absorb more milk-fat from homogenized milk than you do from pure cream!

Adults should seriously reconsider milk as a constitute of their daily diets, unless they are able to obtain raw certified milk, which is an excellent food.

To stuff children with pasteurized milk in order to make them grow 'strong and healthy' is sheer folly, because they simply cannot assimilate the nutrients.

Indeed men, women, and children alike should eliminate all pasteurized dairy products from their diets, for these denatured dairy products only gum up the intestines with layer upon layer of slimy sludge that interferes with the absorption of organic nutrients.

see complete article:
http://www.hps-online.com/troph9.htm

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
Bryan, the majority of the worlds population cannot digest lactose because through human evolution, we lose the enzyme.

Yes. Apparently all or most animals lose it, too, and probably for the same reason: evolutionary influences tend to push us in the direction of losing things that we don't need. I guess it's not all that surprising that we produce lactase as infants, but then gradually lose it as grow older (ESPECIALLY if we stop drinking milk).

A rather similar example might be that of vitamin C: Pauling and others have speculated that certain species lost the enzymes necessary for its synthesis because their natural diets already contained plentiful amounts of the vitamin, so they had an advantage in not requiring that extra metabolic machinery.

bubka said:
:lol: What ever man. Your "kitty cat or dog" argument does not even hold water either. Animals will drink most things you put in front of them... I mean do you even know what happens when a cat or dog drinks milk??? They get sick, like the majority of humans. Adult cats and dogs are lactose intolerant too Bryan... but I am sure its healthy to have such a nutritious food give you diarrhea. Your point makes no sense as you relate it to being nutritious and natural, yet it causes diarrhea.

Once again, you're trying to avoid the point I made, which is simply that animals will drink milk IF THEY ARE GIVEN ACCESS TO IT. The thing about animals also being lactase-deficient is just a strawman argument.

Bryan

G

My pet rabbit eats meat if I feed it to her as a treat. Explain that. :D

bubka

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Once again, you're trying to avoid the point I made, which is simply that animals will drink milk IF THEY ARE GIVEN ACCESS TO IT. The thing about animals also being lactase-deficient is just a strawman argument.

Bryan
you made no point Bryan, you said animals will drink milk"IF THEY ARE GIVEN ACCESS TO IT[/i"] and that this is a natural product and nutritious and can be an essential part of a healthy diet

so eating a food that causes diarrhea is the majority of adult mammals is natural and healthy? No strawman here, your argument just does not work

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Yeah, you tend to lose the enzyme if you stop needing it (stop drinking milk, in other words). The moral to that is: don't stop drinking such a nutritious food as milk.

Bryan

It has been a few months since I drank it. You just talked me into starting again.

CCS

Reaction score
bubka said:
Bryan, the majority of the worlds population cannot digest lactose because through human evolution, we lose the enzyme.

Since you asked Bryan if he is fat, I'd like to ask you, bubka, if you are lactose intolerant. I'm not. I can drink a gallon in a day and be just fine. Did it many times when it was the last thing in my fridge and I was too lazy to go shopping, or the milk where I work expired and I got to take 4 gallons home for free.

CCS

Reaction score
Bryan said:
bubka said:
:lol: What ever man. Your "kitty cat or dog" argument does not even hold water either. ... .

Bryan

I saw your point. Bubka said it is unnatural because animals don't eat it, and you showed they don't drink it because they can't, and then he went off topic by bringing up that they will eat poison too.

This just shows that what an animal will or won't eat does not determine what we should eat. Who cares if cats are lactose intolerant. I don't care if monkeys are; if a food is nutritious, and I can digest it or take a pill that lets me, I'll eat it.

---------------
strat54, thanks for the info on the different types of milk. I'll drink it by itself unless it is skim, and I'll try to get organic non-homogenized later, and non-pasturized if I can, and do the sniff test. I think my immune system is plenty strong enough.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan wrote:

Oh my god, you don't know what's good, OB! When I buy a quart of milk and pour myself a small glass of it the first time, I have to FORCE myself not to drink a second glass, then a third glass, then a fourth... Mmm-mmm GOOD!

Oh my GOD!!

I was the only one in my family that just couldn't stand the stuff. It was for a wacko reason - the "texture" just gives me the heebie jeebies! It makes me imagine what it would be like to drink motor oil. :hairy: Just plain never liked the stuff.

I've told my dad about the whole fat in milk but he won't budge. He just doesn't want the fat in his system. He's stuck on that.

He'll gulp down a mouthful of olive oil with me but won't consume the milk fat. I don't get it! :? (He just says olive oil (fat) is way better for you than milk fat.)

OTOH, I'll take a mouthful of olive oil but won't touch milk or milk fat? :?

powersam

Reaction score
if not from milk and other dairy products, how do we get enough calcium in our diet?

i'd also like to know where calcium would have been obtained by hunter gatherers etc way back in the way back?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
powersam said:
if not from milk and other dairy products, how do we get enough calcium in our diet?

i'd also like to know where calcium would have been obtained by hunter gatherers etc way back in the way back?

I always thought it was from greens and beans?

bubka

Reaction score
there are lots of decent sources of calcium, people just associate milk (though it is the best really) because of the powerful advertising and milk lobby

Old Baldy said:
He'll gulp down a mouthful of olive oil with me but won't consume the milk fat. I don't get it! :? (He just says olive oil (fat) is way better for you than milk fat.)
you dad is right, fat in milk is saturated (bad fat), while olive oil is mostly mono unsaturated, a healthy good fat

CCS

Reaction score
bubka said:
nutritious, yes, extra dead calories of simple sugar and saturated fat, yes too

dead calories? milk has a very low glycemic index. great for before going to bed, except for people without lactase. why do you count it as dead calories? fruit has lots of sugar, but still a very low glycemic index. is it dead calories? what is your defintion of dead calory? I'd agree soda and many fruit juices are dead calories, without pulp in them, except post workout with protein powder (not the soda).

bubka

Reaction score
i call it dead because it has a decent amount of calories for its serving size... plus the sat fat, which is harder to breakdown... usually stored as fat, while lactose is easily broken down (if not lactose int)

the glycemic index is a diabetic tool, though i see where you could relate junk "dead calorie" food to it

powersam

Reaction score
ou say its a diabetic tool but there are studies showing a high correlation between early balding and insulin resistance, a precursor to type 2 diabetes.

CCS

Reaction score
how is serving size defined?

and I thought I saw that lactose has a very low glycemic index.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
Bryan said:

Bryan
you made no point Bryan, you said animals will drink milk"IF THEY ARE GIVEN ACCESS TO IT[/i"] and that this is a natural product and nutritious and can be an essential part of a healthy diet

so eating a food that causes diarrhea is the majority of adult mammals is natural and healthy? No strawman here, your argument just does not work

It's pure strawman, Bubka. You shot yourself in the foot by implying that it's somehow "unnatural" to drink milk, just because grown animals don't drink it. I flattened that argument by pointing out that grown animals WILL drink it, if you give it to them. So you tried to save face by bringing up lactase deficiency again, which is a separate issue. No living creature should drink milk if they are lactase deficient, and that includes humans, cats, dogs, lions and tigers and bears OH MY! :) But if they aren't lactase deficient, milk is an excellent and nutritious addition to the diet of any of the aforementioned creatures.

Bryan

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
Bryan, the majority of the worlds population cannot digest lactose because through human evolution, we lose the enzyme. Now you can go on your kick of how there is
"no reason to avoid them, based just on silly faux-philosophical grounds"
but I guess mother nature is wrong, and Bryan is right, because he likes milk, and so should you.

:lol: What ever man. Your "kitty cat or dog" argument does not even hold water either. ... diarrhea.

Your reasoning, OTOH, is impeccable.