MILK does a body good! what about your hair?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
i just don't think adults should drink milk

If you're not lactose intolerant or have some other sensitivity to it, it's perfectly fine to drink milk. It's very nutritious.

Bryan

HARM1

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
bubka said:

If you're not lactose intolerant or have some other sensitivity to it, it's perfectly fine to drink milk. It's very nutritious.

Bryan
even as for acne and hairloss you think?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen accusations on acne sites that milk contributes to acne, but then LOTS of foods get a similar treatment from time to time. As for milk and balding...that seems too silly even to comment on.

Bryan

bubka

Reaction score
Bryan said:
bubka said:

Bryan
nutritious, sure, but it's full of fat and sugar (yeah, i always drank skim anyways) but the lactose sugar is very simple and really not needed as an adult... and most don't drink skim

people are fat enough, they don't need to be drinking a food for infant cows

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
nutritious, sure, but it's full of fat and sugar (yeah, i always drank skim anyways) but the lactose sugar is very simple and really not needed as an adult... and most don't drink skim

You should read Roger William's great book "Nutrition Against Disease". He has sections in there discussing why he thinks that the butterfat in whole milk probably helps protect against heart disease (one reason being that proper calcium absorption is important for a healthy cardiovascular system, and butterfat increases calcium absorption).

BTW, you apparently haven't heard that lactose ALSO increases calcium absorption. Funny how Nature works, isn't it? She knows better than the rest of us how to go about packaging her foods with the appropriate co-nutrients. Then we go around trying to "improve" on her products by altering their fat and sugar content, etc. :wink:

bubka said:
people are fat enough, they don't need to be drinking a food for infant cows

Why not? What does THAT have to do with anything?

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
I would drink skim milk. Maybe even 2% (tastes like yuck). But they put all those hormones in it. And anti-biotics. And the organic milk is expensive. Like $7 a gallon.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that the added hormones and antibiotics in milk nowadays is a legitimate area for concern, but I wouldn't extend that to the natural butterfat and lactose in milk. It's getting WAAAAAY too arrogant to think that we can fix Nature's "mistakes" by altering those natural components of milk.

Bryan

bubka

Reaction score
so nature wanted humans to drink artificially selected cattle milk our entire lives?

yeah, lactose increases calcium is great for infants, and even some cultures that breastfeed until later ages...

i mean i drink milk occasionally in some "junk" foods, but you are not going to turn me on this one, there is nothing natural about it

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
so nature wanted humans to drink artificially selected cattle milk our entire lives?

What nature "wanted" is beside the point. The point is that milk has excellent quality protein, and is a good source of certain very important vitamins and minerals. It's good stuff! :wink:

bubka said:
i mean i drink milk occasionally in some "junk" foods, but you are not going to turn me on this one, there is nothing natural about it

What's "natural" about ANTHING that we eat?? Is it "natural" to eat an apple that grows on a TREE, for god's sake? Is it "natural" to eat a carrot that grows in the GROUND? Is it "natural" to eat a sardine that was swimming around in the deep blue sea? Hey, here's a good one for you: some people even consider caviar (FISH EGGS, for god's sake) to be a delicacy that they'll pay lots of $$$ for. How "natural" is it for humans to eat FISH EGGS?? :D

Nowadays, we should all understand that we don't eat foods based on some antiquainted philosophical idea of what's "natural" or not. That went out with the 19th Century! Now we recommend food selections based on SCIENCE, like what the quality of the protein is, how many vitamins and minerals it has, whether or not there are toxic materials in it, etc. The often-heard statement by some people that milk is "only for baby cows" is simply ludicrous.

Bryan

CCS

Reaction score
i heard a lot of arguments going either way, whith FDA practically condemning milk fat and adkins fans saying it is ludicris to avoid it. I'm thinking of hedging my bets by buying whole organic milk and just drinking 1 cup per day and eating my calcium foods with so the milk will help the absorption. Maybe 1/2 or 1/3 cup at a time, spread out. But then I have to refridgerate it. I wonder if costco is much cheaper.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
FWIW, I haven't drank milk for about 30 years. Still have male pattern baldness.

Never liked it as a kid and maybe had one or two glasses a week, forced upon me by my parents!! :D

I'll take straight whiskey ANYTIME! :p

Milk - UGH - slimy sh**!! :x :x :x Even though, in moderation, it's probably good for you. It's pretty nutritious overall IMHO. My father has been drinking 16 ounces of skim milk for about 82 years and is as healthy as anyone I've ever known. I only hope I've got some of his immune system genes!

How can you guys drink skim milk? It is absolutely one of the most bland, lousy tasting liquids I've ever put into my system. But I'll drink straight whiskey!? :shock:

Oh, I forgot to mention, I do take whey powder regularly. (I need the protein because I don't eat much meat. I'm a carb. addict!! :oops: )

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Bryan said:
bubka said:

What nature "wanted" is beside the point. The point is that milk has excellent quality protein, and is a good source of certain very important vitamins and minerals. It's good stuff! :wink:

bubka said:

What's "natural" about ANTHING that we eat?? Is it "natural" to eat an apple that grows on a TREE, for god's sake? Is it "natural" to eat a carrot that grows in the GROUND? Is it "natural" to eat a sardine that was swimming around in the deep blue sea? Hey, here's a good one for you: some people even consider caviar (FISH EGGS, for god's sake) to be a delicacy that they'll pay lots of $$$ for. How "natural" is it for humans to eat FISH EGGS?? :D

Nowadays, we should all understand that we don't eat foods based on some antiquainted philosophical idea of what's "natural" or not. That went out with the 19th Century! Now we recommend food selections based on SCIENCE, like what the quality of the protein is, how many vitamins and minerals it has, whether or not there are toxic materials in it, etc. The often-heard statement by some people that milk is "only for baby cows" is simply ludicrous.

Bryan

Bryan, breathe deeply, exhale, breathe deeply, exhale.... :lol:

Bubka, I don't like milk but it ain't poison. :wink: You can overdo it with the fats just like I overdo it with fructose.

However, there's no denying milk is nutrient dense. You just don't need that much of it for milk to "do its thing" IMHO. It's "strong" stuff. But, like Bryan said, it does have alot of nutrients in it.

powersam

Reaction score
as bryan often forgets to add his own sound effects after he lays the smack down, i sometimes have to do it for him.

THWAPPP!!

bubka

Reaction score
"ludicrous" is a great opinion, i am just stating the fact that no other mammals drink milk their entire lives... there is reasons why people are lactose intolorant and stop producing the lactace enzyme

secondly, those milk cattle are as controversial as any other genetically modified food, they have been artificially selected to produce over 100x as much they would naturally in nature

as will all genetics, when you try to change one trait, others are always secondarily effected

CCS

Reaction score
most other mamals don't live as long as we do. We live much longer on average than we did 100 years ago. and if you don't like GM, drink organic.

what is a good plant source of rivoflavin?

And as for calcium in greens, I looked on the food lable, and a cup has 2% of your RDA for calcium.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
"ludicrous" is a great opinion, i am just stating the fact that no other mammals drink milk their entire lives...

Yeah, and for a screamingly obvious reason: they don't have ACCESS to milk after they are weaned. If they did have access, they'd drink it. Try putting a saucer of milk in front of a kitty cat or a dog, and see what happens! :wink:

bubka said:
there is reasons why people are lactose intolorant and stop producing the lactace enzyme

Yeah, you tend to lose the enzyme if you stop needing it (stop drinking milk, in other words). The moral to that is: don't stop drinking such a nutritious food as milk.

bubka said:
secondly, those milk cattle are as controversial as any other genetically modified food, they have been artificially selected to produce over 100x as much they would naturally in nature

As I indicated before, I think it's perfectly legitimate to question modern milk-producing methods (like adding lots of hormones and antibiotics). But people should be RATIONAL about it, and not just use cornball arguments like how milk is supposedly "only for baby cows".

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Never liked it as a kid and maybe had one or two glasses a week, forced upon me by my parents!! :D

Milk - UGH - slimy sh**!! :x :x :x

Oh my god, you don't know what's good, OB! :) When I buy a quart of milk and pour myself a small glass of it the first time, I have to FORCE myself not to drink a second glass, then a third glass, then a fourth... Mmm-mmm GOOD!

Old Baldy said:
Even though, in moderation, it's probably good for you. It's pretty nutritious overall IMHO. My father has been drinking 16 ounces of skim milk for about 82 years and is as healthy as anyone I've ever known.

You might tell your father that a famous biochemist (Roger Williams) recommended WHOLE milk, not skim or low-fat.

Old Baldy said:
Bryan, breathe deeply, exhale, breathe deeply, exhale....

I confess to being passionate about that "milk is for baby cows" argument that crops-up from time to time on nutrition and acne sites. Saying that in front of me provokes a response that's similar to what happens when someone on a hairloss site posts that "finasteride for male pattern baldness was an accidental discovery"! :D

Bryan

bubka

Reaction score
"cornball" wow Bryan, you really elevate the level of discourse, congrats

Milk is such a sore topic for you. Why is this? Are you overweight yourself and don't agree with me that Milk with its simple sugars, saturated fats is not needed in a healthy diet? It's obviously a favorite food of yours. I like it too, we drank a gallon a day of skim at my parents. I am 27 and never had a broken bone (besides a finger playing HS football) nor a cavity.

Try putting a saucer of radiator fluid in front of a kitty cat or a dog, and see what happens! :wink:

Listen, you can argue both ways if milk is good for an adult diet. Yes it is "nutritious" but in my opinion, the cons greatly outweigh the pros for adult milk consumption. But you just think that is "cornball" because a kitty cat or a dog will drink it if available.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
bubka said:
Milk is such a sore topic for you. Why is this?

Because I'm always shocked when anybody uses that trivial "baby cow" argument against milk.

bubka said:
Are you overweight yourself and don't agree with me that Milk with its simple sugars, saturated fats is not needed in a healthy diet?

I never said that milk is "needed" in a healthy diet. No single food is absolutley essential for good nutrition. Not even highly nutritious foods like brewer's yeast, wheat germ, or even milk are things that can't be replaced or substituted with something else. However, they are EXCELLENT as components of any healthy diet. No reason to avoid them, based just on silly faux-philosophical grounds.

bubka said:
Try putting a saucer of radiator fluid in front of a kitty cat or a dog, and see what happens! :wink:

And your point is....?

I made MY point by demonstrating that animals will drink milk if they have ACCESS to it, counteracting your implication that animals don't drink milk because it's somehow "unnatural" for them to do so when fully grown. So what does the fact that they will also drink radiator fluid have to do with the price of green tea in China?? :wink:

bubka said:
Listen, you can argue both ways if milk is good for an adult diet. Yes it is "nutritious" but in my opinion, the cons greatly outweigh the pros for adult milk consumption. But you just think that is "cornball" because a kitty cat or a dog will drink it if available.

No, what I think is cornball is the suggestion that drinking milk is in any way "unnatural" for adults. As I pointed out earlier, NOTHING that we eat as adults would pass such a "natural" test.

Bryan