Microneedling Faqs: Procedures, Studies And Such

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I heard NOT to minoxidil right after needling has anyone else heard of this?

If you read the Follica patent in the Follica thread it explains that. I'm not going to dig up the quote for you, but it is basically out of an abundance of caution, and most people should be safe using minoxidil right after. I've been doing it with no issues for months, and so have many others.

A. Monteiro

My Regimen
Reaction score
I Received my Dr Pen today and I'm going to start tomorrow.
I'll start with 1,5, next week 2.0 and then bi weekly 2,5.
My doubt is, do I use dr pen with maximum rotation or any other lower rotation?
What's the difference between using more or less rotation?

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question, I just started microneedling and honestly I dont know how people handle it, it is painful as f*ck. I put lidocain 20 mins before I start but it still hurt as hell, Im not even sure the lidocain decrease the pain. And I dont even press that hard, if you guys push to the point of blood coming out then I really have no idea how you do that.

Am I doing something wrong?? Do I miss something??

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
You don't need blood to come out. It just need to have a sunburn effect. At .75 you much be putting too much pressure.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you think stabbing your scalp would be a pleasant experience? It hurts less the more you do it, but it never stops hurting.
No, I did not think it would be pleasant, it doesnt matter what I thought. The fact is that it's a legit treatment that people perform regularly, but it is almost unbearable for me so I wonder how, and as I said I dont push that hard at all, not talking about blood, Im not even sure there is redness after I do it (still painfully). It's not like I have very low pain threshold. Also it psychological hard to wound yourself, I guess if it was someone else to do that to me I could go through with it.
Do you feel the area really go numb after applying lidocain? Is there a better numbing cream?

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, I did not think it would be pleasant, it doesnt matter what I thought. The fact is that it's a legit treatment that people perform regularly, but it is almost unbearable for me so I wonder how, and as I said I dont push that hard at all, not talking about blood, Im not even sure there is redness after I do it (still painfully). It's not like I have very low pain threshold. Also it psychological hard to wound yourself, I guess if it was someone else to that to me I could go through with it.
Do you feel the area really go numb after applying lidocain? Is there a better numbing cream?

I don't use any numbing agent. Some people find the pens hurt less than the rollers. In my experience that's not the case, but it may be psychologically easier than applying pressure with a roller.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
've seen women doing it under their eyes and that was painful just watching. But everyone reacts differently to pain. The reward makes it more sustainable.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you think stabbing your scalp would be a pleasant experience? It hurts less the more you do it, but it never stops hurting.

I don't know about you but i find the pain mostly goes away after a couple of passes once your bodies natural painkillers start kicking in.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know what's more painful. This or Dutasteride injections with castor oil into my scalp when I did it last time. I tried a Dermojet on my head and passed out. Since then D2 feels much better.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know about you but i find the pain mostly goes away after a couple of passes once your bodies natural painkillers start kicking in.
Nah dude it doesnt happen to me, your body have some secret painkillers?

've seen women doing it under their eyes and that was painful just watching. But everyone reacts differently to pain. The reward makes it more sustainable.
Actually when I used it on my face it was much less painfull. On the skull it's just f*cking hurt.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Blowing cool air on your scalp is one way to ease the pain while you are microneedling.

Go to a junkyard and find an AC unit in working order. Install it in your bathroom on a stand and run it with an ac converter.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Blowing cool air on your scalp is one way to ease the pain while you are microneedling.

Go to a junkyard and find an AC unit in working order. Install it in your bathroom on a stand and run it with an ac converter.
Ok i will try, thnks for the advice

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Please post pics! :)
Lol pics of what?
I actually didnt get what you said in the second part, you were sarcastic? I probably missed the funny part, lol Anyway if all you mean is blowing cool air I think I can handle this myself...

Other advices from more people for this torture are welcome.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just man up, it's really not that bad . From the sound of it you're doing classic dermarolling, which is super easy. We don't want to hear you crying until you go 40 + minutes on high speed with a pen device. One guy even went for several hours in one session, although he used a medium speed setting I think.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Been away for a few weeks. What is the consensus regime now? Still 1.5mm for approx 15 min in total, weekly, with twice daily minoxidil?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been away for a few weeks. What is the consensus regime now? Still 1.5mm for approx 15 min in total, weekly, with twice daily minoxidil?

Twice a month .75-1mm for 15+ minutes, twice daily minoxidil.

Some of us are trying more frequent sessions, and/or 1.5mm depth. One person is trying 2.5mm. I don't know about going that deep, but hopefully he posts results.

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
Twice a month .75-1mm for 15+ minutes, twice daily minoxidil.

Some of us are trying more frequent sessions, and/or 1.5mm depth. One person is trying 2.5mm. I don't know about going that deep, but hopefully he posts results.

Thanks. I have been less than regular with various regimes for approx 1 year with no real improvement. I will try to stick to 1.5mm weekly for 3 months before tweaking.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just man up, it's really not that bad . From the sound of it you're doing classic dermarolling, which is super easy. We don't want to hear you crying until you go 40 + minutes on high speed with a pen device. One guy even went for several hours in one session, although he used a medium speed setting I think.
f*ck this, you all bunch of masochistic maniacs.