Microneedling Faqs: Procedures, Studies And Such

drakl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for updating the thread with questions instead of new info/success/photos. I'm a little bit concerned about the recommendation of not exposing the scalp to the sun.

I live in a place that is pretty sunny even in the winter. From what I read I assume that it means not being for a long time whereas being in the sun and going out of buildings to the car and things like that are fine. I'm concerned because even if I'm able to carry a hat with me all the time, if I dermaroll every 14 days, that means that I will only have 7 days out of the 14 of not carrying it and act like a normal person.

I may be a bit too worried but I'm just trying to find a way of dermarolling minimizing every possible issue it can have, and if I have to protect my scalp that way it may interfere quite a bit with my daily life, leading to me stoping the treatment.

newbiemicroneedler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry for updating the thread with questions instead of new info/success/photos. I'm a little bit concerned about the recommendation of not exposing the scalp to the sun.

I live in a place that is pretty sunny even in the winter. From what I read I assume that it means not being for a long time whereas being in the sun and going out of buildings to the car and things like that are fine. I'm concerned because even if I'm able to carry a hat with me all the time, if I dermaroll every 14 days, that means that I will only have 7 days out of the 14 of not carrying it and act like a normal person.

I may be a bit too worried but I'm just trying to find a way of dermarolling minimizing every possible issue it can have, and if I have to protect my scalp that way it may interfere quite a bit with my daily life, leading to me stoping the treatment.

Why exactly is the sun bad again?

2young2retire

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Because inflammed skin has no defense against uv.
Can't stress this enough but if you wound your skin avoid uv for a couple of days.

Last edited:

newbiemicroneedler

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow so sitting a few minutes in the sun will give you cancer??? I thought maybe the reason would be pigmentation as the new skin might be a bit darker than ur usual skin tone. Coz sometimes that's what I feel is happening. The wounded part is healing slightly darker/redder than the existing skin (though it gradually lightens up) but was thinking maybe that could be from the sun. I don't sit long hours but it might happen that the sun blasts on my scalp aday or two after microneedling, while I ambusy doingsomething outdoors.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Microneedling in long run is not good idea. Instead use topicals like minoxidil ,caffeine, nizoral,castor oil(ricinoleic acid) to promote stem cell proliferation.

ToeCutter

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, this seems like a good place to ask, and I hope for a couple of replies.

I always wondered if at any level, the microneedling (I have a DrPen A6) damages existing hair follicles? I can only imagine the probabilities, given the speed and concentration of the needling, that a needle *exactly* punctures right into a hair follicle.. Surely that is not a good thing?

cocona

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all, this seems like a good place to ask, and I hope for a couple of replies.

I always wondered if at any level, the microneedling (I have a DrPen A6) damages existing hair follicles? I can only imagine the probabilities, given the speed and concentration of the needling, that a needle *exactly* punctures right into a hair follicle.. Surely that is not a good thing?

I was worried about this initially.

Arrector Pili muscle depth 1.65mm
Mean length of a scalp hair follicle is 4.16mm
Source: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1524-4725.2010.01809.x

You should be pretty safe at 1.5mm(Dr. Rachita Dhurat depth). If you want to be safer use follicas depth they use for their device which is .8mm.

My hairs bacomes thins due to scarring and it is spot where I had been doing needling.I suggest use good vehicle for better drug penetration of topicals than bloody microneedling

It isn't about penetration of a topical. Microneedling triggers a wound healing response resulting in the up regulation of a variety of growth factors in your scalp. By the numbers Microneedling + minoxodil is 4x as effective as just minoxodil alone.

See: http://www.ijtrichology.com/article...lume=5;issue=1;spage=6;epage=11;aulast=Dhurat

My hairs bacomes thins due to scarring and it is spot where I had been doing needling.I suggest use good vehicle for better drug penetration of topicals than bloody microneedling

Try the dr pen A6. 1/week at 1.5mm then apply minoxodil 5% 2/week.
Here's an example of good technique:

Last edited:

ToeCutter

My Regimen
Reaction score
For some reason, I am having trouble quoting cocona above, but:

Awesome mate - much appreciated! It was so counter-intuitive for me, but you've steered me to think that the needle, even at 1.5mm depth, will not actually penetrate the bulb of the hair. I had no idea the follicle was so deep - the link is quite useful, when supplemented by additional googling for terminology, so thanks again.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just started Dermarolling and had a quick question. Would taking collegen supplements help since Dermarolling breaks down and rebuilds the scalp via collegen formation?

Jon277

My Regimen
Reaction score
I saw this ultima a6 vs derminator comparison. Is anyone able to say something about Ultima A7? Is it closer to derminator than a6 was?

I can't order Derminator from my country, and it seems like this is best device...

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
lol 5 mm is definitely not true. That number came from the patent where they mentioned that the patent covered depths up to 5mm. Some people on the forums took the 5mm number and ran with it. There is no way they are going to wound even close to that deep.
Right. That said, and my understanding based on that, is that the follicle are deeper than 5mm.... is that true?

And nowhere have I read 0.8mm

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
4-5mm, which is probably why they included that in the patent so that they would be covered with any depth up to the follicle, but I doubt they ever expected to go that deep. I haven't read anything about .8mm either, that's why I asked. I can't imagine where that number came from.

I think he made it up based on his own pain threshold ;)