Latest Patents From Dr. George Cotsarelis

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
So with these treatments coming in 2019 and 2020 I know they work differently than propecia but could they be as effective?

Tano1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The most important part is scab detachment

But what does it actually mean? Does it mean to physically remove the scab or is it when the body naturally pushes it out

Does anyone know?

I read somewhere awhile back that scabs actually delay and obstruct healing. Maybe it's more beneficial to peel it off?

MrV88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I read somewhere awhile back that scabs actually delay and obstruct healing. Maybe it's more beneficial to peel it off?
When you peel it off you probably "interrupt" the full healing process and scars can be seen after doing that. Won't do it. Wait for the full healing process and it will fall of easily.

So with these treatments coming in 2019 and 2020 I know they work differently than propecia but could they be as effective?

They should be more effective since propecia doesn't grow new hair and these ones "should"

Jonnyyy

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you peel it off you probably "interrupt" the full healing process and scars can be seen after doing that. Won't do it. Wait for the full healing process and it will fall of easily.

They should be more effective since propecia doesn't grow new hair and these ones "should"
You're talking about the SETI and Fevi right or Follica?

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen,

Doctor Cotsarelis is an owner of some New patents related to Hair Loss.

I've already posted here, on an another thread, 2 of them, but I found 3 another ones.

Here we go :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Minoxidil for generating new hair follicles and treating baldness
Publication date: 2 Dec 2015
Filing date: 28 Mar 2006

Source: www.google.com/patents/EP2949328A1?cl=en&hair loss=fr

ABSTRACT
Use of minoxidil for the preparation of a pharmaceutical composition for treating a subject to generate a hair follicle and/or to increase the size of a hair follicle in a scalp, eyebrow or scarred region. The treating comprises disrupting an epidermis of the scalp, eyebrow or scarred region, and contacting it with the pharmaceutical composition. The subject may have androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia).
A non-therapeutic method for generating a hair follicle and/or increasing the size of a hair follicle in a scalp, eyebrow or scarred region of a subject. The method comprises disrupting an epidermis of the scalp, eyebrow or scarred region, and contacting it with minoxidil. The subject may have male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness

(...) Follicular neogenesis is defined as the generation of new hair follicles (HF) after birth. Humans are born with a full complement of HF, which can change in size and growth characteristics as in early baldness or can ultimately degenerate and disappear as in late stages of baldness or in permanent scarring (cicatricial) alopecias. Therefore, the generation of new HF is desirable in the treatment of common baldness as well as less common hair loss conditions, such as discoid lupus erythematosis, congenital hypotrichosis, lichen planopilaris and other scarring alopecias.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Shh signaling pathway stimulating agents for treating hair loss (FGF9 !! )
Publication date: 22 Mar 2017
Filing date: 11 Nov 2009

Source: www.google.com/patents/EP3144034A1?cl=en&hair loss=fr

ABSTRACT:
A composition for use in treating hair loss in a subject, wherein the composition comprises an agent that stimulates one or more members of the SHH signaling pathway, and a non-therapeutic method for treating hair loss in a subject, the method comprising administering a composition comprising an agent that stimulates one or more members of the SHH signaling pathway to the subject. The agent may be a glioma-associated oncogene homolog 1 (GLI1) polypeptide, a glioma-associated oncogene homolog 2 (GLI2) polypeptide, a biologically active fragment thereof, or a homolog thereof.

• The invention relates to pharmaceutical compositions and methods for treating hair loss and regenerating hair follicles. Specifically, the invention relates to fibroblast growth factor-9 polypeptides and administering a fibroblast growth factor-9 polypeptide for treating hair loss or regenerating hair follicles.
  • [0028]
    The present invention provides methods of treating hair loss, treating, inhibiting, or suppressing a degenerative skin disorder, and treating androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) in a subject and generating new hair follicles (HF) and increasing the size of existing HF, comprising epidermal disruption or administration of wnt, and administration of a fibroblast growth factor-9 polypeptide or another compound that upregulates sonic hedgehog gene signaling.

• FGF9
  • [0059]
    In one embodiment, the methods of the present invention comprise the step of administering a composition comprising a fibroblast growth factor-9 polypeptide, alone or in composition with one or more additional compounds. In one embodiment, FGF9 refers to Fgf-9, FGF-9, Fibroblast growth factor 9, GAF, glia activating factor, Glia-activating factor precursor, or HBGF-9. In one embodiment, the FGF9 protein of the methods of the present invention has the sequence:
  • administration of recombinant human FGF9 increased levels of sonic hedgehog (SHH) gene expression
3. Methods and compositions for inhibiting or reducing hair loss (PGD2 !)
Publication date: 7 Jun 2017
Filing date: 15 Jun 2007

Source: www.google.com/patents/EP3175856A1?cl=en&hair loss=fr

ABSTRACT
A non-therapeutic method of treating baldness in the scalp of a subject, the method comprising administering a prostaglandin D2 receptor (DP receptor) antagonist to the subject. The antagonist may be a prostaglandin D2 receptor 2 (DP2 receptor) antagonist.

• EXAMPLE 7: HAIRED SCALP CONTAINS A POPULATION OF CD200 HIGH ALPHA-6 INTEGRIN HIGH CELLS THAT ARE LACKING IN BALD SCALP
  • [0500]
    Haired and bald scalp samples from 5 Androgenetic Alopecia patients were subjected to staining and FACS for alpha-6 integrin and CD200. In each case, haired and bald samples from the same patient were compared. A population of alpha-6 integrinhigh CD200high cells was found to be present in the haired but not bald samples (Figure 9). These findings demonstrate the existence of a stem cell population that can be transplanted to generate new HF and treat baldness. Further, these findings demonstrate that administration of CD200 and analogues thereof can be used to treat baldness.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Topical Aza-dC treatment on wound healing enhanced hair follicle regeneration.
Aza-dC treatment at all doses tested greatly enhanced hair follicle (HF) neogenesis

Publication date: 27 juil. 2017
Filing date: 21 juil. 2015

Source: www.google.com/patents/US20170209475?hair loss=fr&cl=en

TITLE : 5-aza-2'- deoxycytidine and methods of use thereof for promoting wound healing and regeneration

FIG. 4. Topical Aza-dC treatment enhanced hair follicle regeneration in healed wounds. (A) 10 μL of Aza-dC (dissolved in DMSO) was applied topically to the wound site, once a day, for 2 consecutive days at the time of scab detachment (SD0 & SD1). Aza-dC treatment at all doses tested greatly enhanced hair follicle (HF) neogenesis compared to the vehicle control, with the strongest enhancement seen with the highest tested dose (10 μg). (A) 10 μL of Aza-dC (dissolved in DMSO) was applied topically to the wound site, once a day, for 5 consecutive days at the time of scab detachment (SD0 to SD1). While the two lower doses (1 & 5 μg) showed little effect on the regeneration, the highest dose (10 μg) still enhanced hair follicle regeneration.

• Early Topical Treatment of DNA Methyl Transferase Inhibitor, Aza-Deoxycytidine (Aza-dC), to the Healing Wound Enhanced Regeneration After Healing
  • [0113]
    To further reduce the toxicity of Aza-dC treatment, the inhibitor was applied locally to the wound sites. Unlike systemic treatment, topical application of Aza-dC exhibited little inhibitory effect on wound-induced hair follicle regeneration. When applied to the wound site immediately following scab detachment for 2 days only, Aza-dC greatly enhanced hair follicle regeneration in healed wounds (from 3 to 8 fold) in a dose-dependent manner. (FIG. 4). Therefore, up-regulation of certain genes, via inhibition of DNA methylation, at the times when hair follicles begin to form plays a critical role in the hair follicle regeneration. This stimulatory effect on regeneration was diminished when the topical treatment was extended to 5 days (from SD0 to SD4), suggesting that the expression levels of some of these genes need to be temporally controlled to support hair follicle formation
Edit: adding the last patent in the first post too

So the assumption is that fgf9 will be part of the treatment protocol once it's released correct? Since the filing date to the patent was filed about a decade ago it's safe to assume it'll be approved right?

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
The results posted regarding the 25 terminal, and 75 vellus in regrowth were from when using minoxidil as well right?

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A few weeks back I recreated the experiment that accidentally grew new hair follicles on my wrist. I won't go into detail because risk of being banned but so far unfortunatley it has not worked.

Maybe I was on minoxidil at the time and the exposure to my scalp and fingertips was enough to help the neogensis. Idk

Min0

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A few weeks back I recreated the experiment that accidentally grew new hair follicles on my wrist. I won't go into detail because risk of being banned but so far unfortunatley it has not worked.

Maybe I was on minoxidil at the time and the exposure to my scalp and fingertips was enough to help the neogensis. Idk

wrist hair is a totally different organ from head hair,
why the f*** is everyone on planet earth not aware of this simple fact.

what kills head follicles grows body hair.

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Not necessarily. Hypertrichosis grows out all type of hair (body,head) etc.

his post doesn't add anything to the topic.
don't stress over futile things bro :D

Last edited:

Medina

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hair shouldn't grow on wrists at all. I'm talking about the underside of your hand. If it can grow there it could potentially grow anywhere.

Follicle neogensis is real and a big deal in case you missed it

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
So the assumption is that fgf9 will be part of the treatment protocol once it's released correct? Since the filing date to the patent was filed about a decade ago it's safe to assume it'll be approved right?

Hi @thomps1523 You made a good point about the fgf9. Follica has filed the patent a decade ago and I think that they have tested it on their clinical trials.

I think like you :)

Maybe I'm wrong but They have done more than 10 years of clinical trials, and I don't think that it was just for microneedling and minoxidil. They have tested Lithium gluconate (failed) and so others compounds.
And in the near future, they will test new coumpounds in order to improve terminal hairs :)

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi @thomps1523 You made a good point about the fgf9. Follica has filed the patent a decade ago and I think that they have tested it on their clinical trials.

I think like you :)

Maybe I'm wrong but They have done more than 10 years of clinical trials, and I don't think that it was just for microneedling and minoxidil. They have tested Lithium gluconate (failed) and so others compounds.
And in the near future, they will test new coumpounds in order to improve terminal hairs :)

Sorry if this has been answered, but were the results that were released showing terminal, and vellus growth tested using minoxidil, or could it have been any of the compounds they've been testing?

hrplz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Follica said they could produce 25 terminal and 75 neogenic. Do we know (or at least strongly suspect) that neogenic = vellus? Thanks.

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered, but were the results that were released showing terminal, and vellus growth tested using minoxidil, or could it have been any of the compounds they've been testing?

Follica have made also a clinical study with Latanoprost (give a better results than minoxidil and Dermabrasion)...

We can see the results of phase 2a clinical study of Follica in their following patent
www.google.com/patents/WO2012078649A1?cl=en

DA = dermabrasion :)

DA + minoxidil = 16 hairs / cm2
DA + Latanoprost = 19 hairs / cm2

Old results from old clinical studies. They have also others clinical studies ended with a better protocol and others compounds.

"
9.4 PLAN FOR DATA ANALYSIS / STATISTICS FOR CLINICAL STUDY

[00688] For a clinical study, if the true difference between the test (DA + minoxidil) and reference (minoxidil) treatments for the primary endpoint (changes from baseline to Day 168 in the number of hairs/cm2 captured by photography) is 16 hairs/ cm2, then 79 subjects would provide 90% power to reject, at the 5% level of significance, the null hypothesis that the test treatment (DA + minoxidil) is no better than the reference (minoxidil). As a drop-out rate of 10% may be anticipated, an additional 8 subjects may be enrolled to ensure the primary efficacy endpoint is achieved, bringing the total number of subjects to 87

[00689] With respect to a clinical study using latanoprost, if the true difference between the test (DA + latanoprost) and reference (latanoprost) treatments for the primary endpoint (changes from baseline to Day 168 in the number of hairs/cm2 captured by photography) is 19 hairs/cm2, then 57 subjects would provide 90% power to reject, at the 5% level of significance, the null hypothesis that the test treatment is no better than the reference. As a drop-out rate of 10% may be anticipated, an additional 6 subjects may be enrolled to ensure the primary efficacy endpoint is achieved, bring the total number of subjects to 63.
"

Source : www.google.com/patents/WO2012078649A1?cl=en

Follica said they could produce 25 terminal and 75 neogenic. Do we know (or at least strongly suspect) that neogenic = vellus? Thanks.

According to Follica, in their patents. They made a distinction between neogenic hair follicle and neogenic-like hair follicle
They also made a distinction between hair follicles :

1. Neogenic Hair = New Hair follicles = follicle neogenesis
2. Neogenic-Like Hair Follicle = Vellus Hair follicle
3. Pre-existing-like Follicular structures
4. Pre-existing like attached follicular strutures

" [0054] Objects of the invention are to promote generation of new hair follicles ("follicle neogenesis"); to promote formation of neogenic-like (NL) follicular structures; to promote activation (possibly by reorganization) of existing hair follicles; to promote formation of preexisting-like (PEL) or pre-existing-like, attached (PELA) follicular structures; to promote development of hair follicles, for example, to promote the growth of terminal hair (in preference to vellus hair); to promote the branching of pre-existing hair follicles (seen as an increased number of hair shafts per pore); to increase the width of hair follicles (thereby promoting growth of an increased shaft width); and/or to delay or prevent follicle senescence

[00576] The objective of the following protocol is to determine the effects of dermabrasion on inducing the formation of neogenic or neogenic-like hair follicles in human skin.

[00608] Neogenic-like hair follicles were characterized by using some or all of the following criteria: hairs that were of 1) shorter length than vellus and/or vellus-like hair follicles, 2) had lack of a connection with a pre-existing pilosebaceous unit, 3) had lack of a pore at the skin surface, 4) had lack of a well-differentiated sebaceous gland, 5) had lack of a hair shaft, 6) had lack of an elastin-negative "streamer" or "dermal channel," and 7) had positive staining for alkaline phosphatase, BerEP4 (a marker of embryonic hair follicles), and Ki67 (a marker of cell proliferation)
. "

hrplz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Follica have made also a clinical study with Latanoprost (give a better results than minoxidil and Dermabrasion)...

We can see the results of phase 2a clinical study of Follica in their following patent

Old results from old clinical studies. They have also others clinical studies ended with a better protocol and others compounds.

"

[00688] For a clinical study, if the true difference between the test (DA + minoxidil) and reference (minoxidil) treatments for the primary endpoint (changes from baseline to Day 168 in the number of hairs/cm2 captured by photography) is 16 hairs/ cm2, then 79 subjects would provide 90% power to reject, at the 5% level of significance, the null hypothesis that the test treatment (DA + minoxidil) is no better than the reference (minoxidil). As a drop-out rate of 10% may be anticipated, an additional 8 subjects may be enrolled to ensure the primary efficacy endpoint is achieved, bringing the total number of subjects to 87

[00689] With respect to a clinical study using latanoprost, if the true difference between the test (DA + latanoprost) and reference (latanoprost) treatments for the primary endpoint (changes from baseline to Day 168 in the number of hairs/cm2 captured by photography) is 19 hairs/cm2, then 57 subjects would provide 90% power to reject, at the 5% level of significance, the null hypothesis that the test treatment is no better than the reference. As a drop-out rate of 10% may be anticipated, an additional 6 subjects may be enrolled to ensure the primary efficacy endpoint is achieved, bring the total number of subjects to 63.
"

According to Follica, in their patents. They made a distinction between neogenic hair follicle and neogenic-like hair follicle

" [0054] Objects of the invention are to promote generation of new hair follicles ("follicle neogenesis"); to promote formation of neogenic-like (NL) follicular structures; to promote activation (possibly by reorganization) of existing hair follicles; to promote formation of preexisting-like (PEL) or pre-existing-like, attached (PELA) follicular structures; to promote development of hair follicles, for example, to promote the growth of terminal hair (in preference to vellus hair); to promote the branching of pre-existing hair follicles (seen as an increased number of hair shafts per pore); to increase the width of hair follicles (thereby promoting growth of an increased shaft width); and/or to delay or prevent follicle senescence

[00576] The objective of the following protocol is to determine the effects of dermabrasion on inducing the formation of neogenic or neogenic-like hair follicles in human skin.

[00608] Neogenic-like hair follicles were characterized by using some or all of the following criteria: hairs that were of 1) shorter length than vellus and/or vellus-like hair follicles, 2) had lack of a connection with a pre-existing pilosebaceous unit, 3) had lack of a pore at the skin surface, 4) had lack of a well-differentiated sebaceous gland, 5) had lack of a hair shaft, 6) had lack of an elastin-negative "streamer" or "dermal channel," and 7) had positive staining for alkaline phosphatase, BerEP4 (a marker of embryonic hair follicles), and Ki67 (a marker of cell proliferation)
. "
Good information - thank you!

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

"

"

. "
You're a god man when it comes to finding information I hope you are one of the first to get all your hair back