Lactoferrin As A Promoter Of Hair Growth

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course, it looks ridiculous though pics without a date are also from today

View attachment 119448 View attachment 119449 View attachment 119450 View attachment 119451

Thanks for the pics ! And sorry for the "ciao dude" !
Wrongly thought you were a man...

By the way that's interesting, if you're very sensitive to drugs and a good responder, we can have feedback faster !
I'm also interested in trying lactoferin... a bit confused with the process doing the brew... Can you please clarify step by step pls ?

ciao dudess...

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics ! And sorry for the "ciao dude" !
Wrongly thought you were a man...

By the way that's interesting, if you're very sensitive to drugs and a good responder, we can have feedback faster !
I'm also interested in trying lactoferin... a bit confused with the process doing the brew... Can you please clarify step by step pls ?

ciao dudess...

Hahaha no problem! So here is my step by step process:
1. I add 15 ml of distilled water to a small glass container with a dropper.
2. I open 3 capsules and add the powder to the distilled water. You'll see it "lumps" (see pic 1).
3. Close the container and shake it vigorously for a minute or two to mix the powder and water.
4. Store the container in the fridge for a bit.
5. Take the container out and shake it one more time. Put the coffee filter in a drinking glass. Pour the mixture into the filter and the lotion will drip into the glass. If you're in a hurry, just squeeze it. You'll see residu in the filter.
6. Pour the lotion back into the container and store it in the fridge.

I added a pic for step 2 (an espresso glass ) and step 5.
IMG_20190521_212616.jpg IMG_20190521_212810.jpg

GotHair?

Established Member
Reaction score
2. I open 3 capsules and add the powder to the distilled water. You'll see it "lumps" (see pic 1).
3. Close the container and shake it vigorously for a minute or two to mix the powder and water.
5. Take the container out and shake it one more time. Put the coffee filter in a drinking glass. Pour the mixture into the filter and the lotion will drip into the glass. If you're in a hurry, just squeeze it. You'll see residu in the filter.

View attachment 119572 View attachment 119573

Thx for this. And when you are applying it? Your using a small dropper or pippete? How much mL per one appliance?

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

:)

Thx a lot ! Very clear process !
Now for the quantity of appliance it's usually admitted that 25 drops provides a ml.

Any reason for storing the brew in the fridge ?

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. lactoferrin 250mg
2. dissolve in 1.25mL of water each one. let excipients to settle down at the bottom
3. use short time batches (1 per week)
4. apply as soon as possible and store at 4ºC

I used @NotInmywatch post, just added more water to dissolve the lactoferrin. Plus, I like the cooling effect (it helps battle the tingling sensation).

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used @NotInmywatch post, just added more water to dissolve the lactoferrin. Plus, I like the cooling effect (it helps battle the tingling sensation).

I've just order my Lactoferrin from AOV too.
I'll be doing same process for mixing in distilled water.
I'm curious to feel the tinglings you're talking about, cause I had a FUE 6 years ago, and at the 2 or 3 month post op, just before implanted hairs start to grow, you feel tinglings too... I'll be able to compare the feelings it does !
Thx again @MrsS !

Guts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So could lactoferrin work if taken orally or is it only viable as a topical solution?

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

And this coffee filter isn’t filtering out the lactoferrin?

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I went through a couple of studies on Lactoferrin, and here is what is stated :

Study 1 :
" It was found in the invention that an increased number of the hair follicles were activated to re-enter the anagen phase, where the hair follicles were highly active metabolically, with a thickening of the hypodermis and the hair rapidly grew on the lactoferrin-treated skin. According to the invention, lactoferrin was found to be effective in the promotion of hair growth regardless of the Subjects gender"

"The composition comprising lactoferrin may be made by mixing lactoferrin with other active or inactive ingredients, into a variety of forms for convenient use. Such other ingredients may include, by way of non-limiting examples, an adjuvant, vehicle or excipient, perfume, colo rant, stabilizer or any other inactive ingredient, or any combination of them, with or without other active ingredi ents. Preferred inactive ingredients include, for example without limitation dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), glycerol, collagen, and hyluronan (HA)"

DMSO is a solvent ! What does this mean, LF is not that fragile ?

" the number of anagen phase hair follicles in the lactoferrin treated area was approximately two-fold greater than those in the area treated with the control vehicle as evident in FIG. 2A. Thus, the proliferation of the anagen phase hair follicles evidently reflected the hair growth observed in the lactof errin-treated area."

"a large number of anagen-phase (actively growing stage) hair follicles (indi cated by the arrows) were found in the hypodermis of the lactoferrin-treated area. In contrast, the control area exhib ited uniform telogen-phase (resting stage) follicles in the dermis as shown in FIG. 4A. Thus, the hair follicles are clearly activated or triggered to re-enter from the telogen phase to the anagen-phase. The activation of the hair fol licles also reflects the hair growth observed in the lactofer rin-treated area."

Study 2 :

"These fndings suggest that bLF increases DP cell proliferation"

"The Wnt pathway plays an essential role in hair follicle induction [29]. Therefore, we analyzed whether Wnt signaling-related genes were induced by bLF. DP cells were treated by bLF or minoxidil. Minoxidil is the frst and so far the only FDA-approved topical product for the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia [37]. The results of real-time RT-PCR indicated that bLF signifcantly increased the mRNA levels of Wnt3a, Wnt7a, and Lef1, but not of β-catenin, Fzd7, and Gsk3b (Fig. 6). However, minoxidil could only increase the Lef1 expression. Our results suggest that bLF regulates Wnt signaling pathways which are diferent from those modulated by minoxidil"

Could be a good commplement to minoxydil then...

"For commercialization of bLF, another paper [15] showed that bLF in the new liquid formulation, containing 1 mg/mL bLf, 1.74 mg/mL arginine, 15% (w/v) trehalose, and 0.02% (v/v) Tween 80 in 100 mM sodium phosphate bufer at pH 6.5, was stable under various storage conditions for 6 months"

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And this coffee filter isn’t filtering out the lactoferrin?

Hmmmm the lotion is still "sticky" so I don't believe it's filtering out the lactoferrin. I'm not 100% sure... However If I dont filter it, my black hair looks gray because of the powder

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How will something penetrate into your skin if the vehicle is only water?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it reaches the follicle through pathways in the skin around the hair shaft. it is described in the article

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it reaches the follicle through pathways in the skin around the hair shaft. it is described in the article

Yep' that's right !
They also claim that you can mix LF with DMSO as a vehicle i guess...

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep' that's right !
They also claim that you can mix LF with DMSO as a vehicle i guess...
dmso is a different type of solvent than ethanol , completely different categories.
indeed dmso is highly tolerable by proteins and cells

gonetoday

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinking of picking up some my self, might wait a couple weeks to see other peoples outcomes.. spent far too much money on diy topicals with no results, best of luck ladies and gentlemen.

edit: Noticed i asked something that was already answered.

Last edited: