My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump. Any reason not to try this?
Ethanol is used for two reasons
1. It solves the agent (minoxidil)
2. It penetrates the skin
In this case theres no need for that.
Lactoferrin is a protein, a delicate bioagent
Ethanol will denature it (deform it and render it useless) and lactoferrin can penetrate the skin with water alone

Murat312

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Do you guys think it's possible to divide the 250mg topical Lactoferrin application into two applications ? That way we can add 4 mls of distilled water to 250mg of Lactoferrin to help dilute it more and we can use 2ml in the morning and another 2ml at night

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Do you guys think it's possible to divide the 250mg topical Lactoferrin application into two applications ? That way we can add 4 mls of distilled water to 250mg of Lactoferrin to help dilute it more and we can use 2ml in the morning and another 2ml at night
yes it doesn't matter, only thing that matters is mg of agent/cm2 of skin/day

bassistas

Reaction score
so guys is there any conclusion to this? I want to give this a try as soon as possible. any link we can order this in the appropriate form? Do we dilute this in just distilled water and apply on the scalp after minoxidil?

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so guys is there any conclusion to this? I want to give this a try as soon as possible. any link we can order this in the appropriate form? Do we dilute this in just distilled water and apply on the scalp after minoxidil?
any form of commercial lactoferrin will do
scalp must be completely dry or damp but with water
all ethanol/PG should be evaporated from scalp
ethanol kills lactoferrin

bassistas

Reaction score

Do I have to wash my scalp first from the dried ethanol/pg of minoxidil from the previous application or is it ok to apply it later like after 10 hours from minoxidil?
also is this ok to order and dilute in distilled water? https://www.powerfood.ch/de/sponser-lactoferrin-90-caps

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

No it does not look that way since I digged up some infos on patents.google. and found this:
A lotion that is said to be protective for keratin.
Ingredients:
- Lactoferrin 0,5 g - Superoxide dismutase 0,1 g - Glycerin 1 g - Ethanol 10 g - Water q.s. 100 g.
No infos about androgenetic alopecia and obviously it is a low concentration lotion (0,5%) but all in all it looks like a some ethanol+water should not hurt. Just need to up the dosage I think and see how it dissolves

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No it does not look that way since I digged up some infos on patents.google. and found this:
A lotion that is said to be protective for keratin.
Ingredients:
- Lactoferrin 0,5 g - Superoxide dismutase 0,1 g - Glycerin 1 g - Ethanol 10 g - Water q.s. 100 g.
No infos about androgenetic alopecia and obviously it is a low concentration lotion (0,5%) but all in all it looks like a some ethanol+water should not hurt. Just need to up the dosage I think and see how it dissolves

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/Ethanol 1 TR 2014.pdf

Ethanol Action of the Substance: Ethanol functions as a disinfectant by denaturing proteins and dissolving lipid membranes. Because proteins are denatured more quickly in the presence of water, enhanced bactericidal activity is generally observed for mixtures of ethanol and water when compared to absolute ethanol, which functions as a strong dehydrating agent (CDC, 2008). This crude observation provides qualitative support for the proposed mechanism, which relies heavily upon the ability of ethanol to denature proteins. Ethanol is able to effectively destroy many types of bacterial and viral cells due to this mode of action; however, ethanol is ineffective against bacterial spores because the substance evaporates before it can effectively penetrate the membrane and lead to protein denaturation (CDC, 2008).

There is perhaps a specific range of ethanol tolerance for every protein (1%, 10%, etc) but in this case I see it pointless. the article used water for topical lactoferrin.

CastorTroy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Confused about the study and dosage
Ok so the 2.5um concentration was by far the most effective concentration of Lactoferrin I would like to match the 2.5um someone know how to convert?
Trying to figure out how many mg per ml
Would match?
With all the fillers I’m not sure it will dissolve properly if we need like 200 mg per ml

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Confused about the study and dosage
Ok so the 2.5um concentration was by far the most effective concentration of Lactoferrin I would like to match the 2.5um someone know how to convert?
Trying to figure out how many mg per ml
Would match?
With all the fillers I’m not sure it will dissolve properly if we need like 200 mg per ml

2.5uM was used for cells in vitro, it is not aplicable, apples vs oranges
200mg/mL was used topically for mice in vivo and this is what we need
it's just a matter of trying and see how much it can dissolve in water

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
http://www.patentsencyclopedia.com/app/20130224834

There is quite a lot of info on lactoferrin! I want to try it as well so I ordered the pills yesterday. I will take pics and report back if I have any (lack of) progress.

I Will add this to My current regimen of Zix, Rosemary Essential oil spray, gelatin and biotin.

charlie76761

Established Member
Reaction score
Did some solubility tests of over the weekend. Photos below

Ordered some Life Extension Lactoferrin via Amazon, it has ingredients of
  • Active: 300 mg of Bioferrin (Lactoferrin via Apolcatoferrin)
  • Non Active: Microcrystalline cellulose, silica, stearic acid – all non-soluble in water
Active and non-active ingredients came to 447 mg when taken out of the capsule, thus 300 mg active and 147 mg inactive/filler.

I dissolved all in 3ml of water, slightly warmed and then filtered out the undissolved contents (slow filter – takes about 3 hrs).

The filter paper was left to completely dry before being put on the scales where it came in at 530mg.

Given an unused filter paper weighed in at 329mg, you can calculate and conclude that 246mg of the active ingredient must have dissolved in 3 ml of water.

This is interesting as apparently only 10mg of Lactoferrin will dissolve in 1mg of water according to sigma leading to the following possible scenarios
  • Sigma is incorrect (unlikely)
  • Bioferrin / Apolcatoferrin has a much greater solubility in water than Lactoferrin (need more research)
  • Active Life pills are not 300mg of active ingredient but has a quantity of a different compound that is more soluble
I think filtering is key as removes all the filler which you don’t want clogging up your pores and follicles etc – I’ll see if get the same level of filtering / removal of non-active ingredients via use of a less specific & faster filter paper, such as a coffee filter (fold over x3 and you have a nice triangle filter you could put into the top of a standard glass before then pouring in the mix). Will update on it

IMG_2680.jpg IMG_2701.jpg IMG_2702.jpg

jumpingjackgazz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did some solubility tests of over the weekend. Photos below

Ordered some Life Extension Lactoferrin via Amazon, it has ingredients of
  • Active: 300 mg of Bioferrin (Lactoferrin via Apolcatoferrin)
  • Non Active: Microcrystalline cellulose, silica, stearic acid – all non-soluble in water
Active and non-active ingredients came to 447 mg when taken out of the capsule, thus 300 mg active and 147 mg inactive/filler.

I dissolved all in 3ml of water, slightly warmed and then filtered out the undissolved contents (slow filter – takes about 3 hrs).

The filter paper was left to completely dry before being put on the scales where it came in at 530mg.

Given an unused filter paper weighed in at 329mg, you can calculate and conclude that 246mg of the active ingredient must have dissolved in 3 ml of water.

This is interesting as apparently only 10mg of Lactoferrin will dissolve in 1mg of water according to sigma leading to the following possible scenarios
  • Sigma is incorrect (unlikely)
  • Bioferrin / Apolcatoferrin has a much greater solubility in water than Lactoferrin (need more research)
  • Active Life pills are not 300mg of active ingredient but has a quantity of a different compound that is more soluble
I think filtering is key as removes all the filler which you don’t want clogging up your pores and follicles etc – I’ll see if get the same level of filtering / removal of non-active ingredients via use of a less specific & faster filter paper, such as a coffee filter (fold over x3 and you have a nice triangle filter you could put into the top of a standard glass before then pouring in the mix). Will update on it

View attachment 118942 View attachment 118943 View attachment 118944

Very interesting Charlie !
Thx a lot for your experimentation !

Bushi

Reaction score
Nice keep us posted....how did you apply it? With a spray? I'm assuming the lactoferrin is being left behind on your scalp after the water evaporate/gets absorbed hence the drying effect. Maybe lower the mg per ml?

Am using a dropper to apply. Could be the lactoferrin, but there is also a bit of zinc in there, so it could well be the zinc since it's not water soluble. Although it's not regular zinc, but zinc L-methionine.