Lactoferrin As A Promoter Of Hair Growth

HairOnFire

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you take it orally the gut will disassemble the protein with some remaining activity in the gut but few to none in the hair follicle.

Oral lactoferrin can have systemic effects, in both humans and in animals.

PMID: 30534206 (Antidiabetic efficacy of lactoferrin in type 2 diabetic pediatrics; controlling impact on PPAR-γ, SIRT-1, and TLR4 downstream signaling pathway.)

PMID: 29850019 (Oral lactoferrin influences psychological stress in humans: A single-dose administration crossover study.)

PMID: 30298070 (Efficacy of Lactoferrin Oral Administration in the Treatment of Anemia and Anemia of Inflammation in Pregnant and Non-pregnant Women: An Interventional Study.)

By the way, even if Lactoferrin never escaped the gut, it would still not preclude a systemic effect. Some strains of probiotics, which are confined to the GI system, can influence hair growth, sebum production, and the skin (at least in animal models). Pretty wild.

Exp Dermatol. 2010 May;19(5):401-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0625.2009.01060.x. Epub 2010 Jan 25.

Is there a 'gut-brain-skin axis'?
Arck P1, Handjiski B, Hagen E, Pincus M, Bruenahl C, Bienenstock J, Paus R.

Author information

Abstract
Emerging evidence arising from interdisciplinary research supports the occurrence of communication axes between organs, such as the brain-gut or brain-skin axis. The latter is employed in response to stress challenge, along which neurogenic skin inflammation and hair growth inhibition is mediated. We now show that ingestion of a Lactobacillus strain in mice dampens stress-induced neurogenic skin inflammation and the hair growth inhibition. In conclusion, we are introducing a hypothesis, encouraged by our pilot observations and resting upon published prior evidence from the literature, which amalgamates previously proposed partial concepts into a new, unifying model, i.e. the gut-brain-skin axis. This concept suggests that modulation of the microbiome by deployment of probiotics can not only greatly reduce stress-induced neurogenic skin inflammation but even affect a very complex cutaneous phenomenon of (mini-) organ transformation, i.e. hair folliclecycling. These observations raise the intriguing prospect that feeding of just the right kind of bacteria can exert profound beneficial effects on skin homoeostasis, skin inflammation, hair growth and peripheral tissue responses to perceived stress.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yep there's probably a systemic effect but.... why do you think they applied it topically on mice instead of oral?

HairOnFire

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yep there's probably a systemic effect but.... why do you think they applied it topically on mice instead of oral?

Greater concentration in the hair follicle is my guess. Lactoferrin does get broken down in the gut to a significant degree - maybe they wanted to avoid that altogether, and just deliver the lactoferrin directly to hair follicles.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Greater concentration in the hair follicle is my guess. Lactoferrin does get broken down in the gut to a significant degree - maybe they wanted to avoid that altogether, and just deliver the lactoferrin directly to hair follicles.
agree 100%

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

TNTS

Reaction score
That does not look sterile at all.
Since one cant discard one daily
What would be the protocol?
Clean the pins with alcohol every day?

Instructions:
1.Wash your skin with warm water.
2.Soak the top of the applicator vial about 5-8 minutes with 75% alcohol.
3.Wash the applicator vial with alcohol.
4.Put the essence of the liquid into the applicator vial. Carefully screw the
top back onto the vial. Gently shake the vial 2-3 times.
5.Remove the safety and hygiene cover.
6.Pat the skin surface with the hydra needle gently. Until the essence of
the liquid is fully absorbed by the face.

cautions:

1.Do not share hydra needles with other person for hygiene.
2.Keep the hydra needle always clean. Clean the hydra needles after using.
3.Please place hydra needle be out of children`s reach.

I assume you could use it more than one time...if you keep it hygienic should be ok for 15 application (or more) then replace it

Alex Contee

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks for the response. At this point are we just trying to dissolve in water and give it a shot?
The issue is that on paper, you would have to apply about 20ml of the solution on your scalp. There is no way that anywhere close to 20ml would reach the follicle. It’s also not practical. Hopefully the researchers respond to us with an answer.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The issue is that on paper, you would have to apply about 20ml of the solution on your scalp. There is no way that anywhere close to 20ml would reach the follicle. It’s also not practical. Hopefully the researchers respond to us with an answer.
I spray 12mL of cetirizine 1% every night whole head. I see no big deal.
Also, we dont know how "slurry" this will be.
First lets find out the solubility... maybe its quite practical.

Ng Mobile

My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont know if someone posted this but thats ok, the study is on google patents

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20070020219A1/en

If you dont feel like reading here are some key points..Seems like this is a bit more complicated then just mixing the powder with water and spraying it on...but you never know i guess this is promising.

*The method according to claim 1, wherein the lactoferrin comprises bovine lactoferrin* (Cows Milk)

*It was found in the invention that an increased number of the hair follicles were activated to re-enter the anagen phase, where the hair follicles were highly active metabolically, with a thickening of the hypodermis and the hair rapidly grew on the lactoferrin-treated skin. According to the invention, lactoferrin was found to be effective in the promotion of hair growth regardless of the subject's gender or age, and the hair grew much faster and in greater volume and amount on the treated animals than those animals without the lactoferrin treatment.*

*The composition comprising lactoferrin may be applied to the skin of a subject through any method known in the field, including but not limited to topically spreading, spraying, steaming, or injecting the composition comprising lactoferrin onto or into the skin where hair growth promotion is desired. Alternatively, the subjects having the hair growth problem may be soaked or bathed in the composition comprising lactoferrin. According to the invention, the amount of lactoferrin in the composition may be about 50 mg/ml to about 500 mg/ml, preferably about 100 mg/ml to about 250 mg/ml, and more preferably, about 200 mg/ml.*

*Lactoferricin was generally prepared by cutting lactoferrin with the protein-cutting enzyme pepsin, although other acidic proteases could also be used. Specifically, 5 g of lactoferrin was prepared and mixed with 100 ml of double deionized water (ddH2O) into a commercially obtained bovine lactoferrin solution. The solution was then adjusted with 1M of hydrochloric acid (HCl) to yield a pH value of 2.5. Next, 30 mg of pepsin A powder was dissolved in the solution and an enzyme reaction that cuts lactoferrin into lactoferricin was allowed to proceed at 37° C. for at least 4 hours. The reaction was stopped by heating the solution in a hot water bath at 80° C. for another 15 minutes before cooling at room temperature. The solution was neutralized using 1M of NaOH and spun down at high speed centrifugation (17000 rpm at 4° C.) for 15 minutes. The supernatant separated from the centrifugation was collected to yield lactoferricin. Lactoferricin obtained as described above may be blended with other ingredients to form the composition that promotes hair growth in the subsequent method.*

chl999

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's not a study, that's a patent. Filed in 2007. Claimed to be held by these people: renorigin .com (new member, can't post links). Looks like they're offering a hair loss product that contains lactoferrin amongst other things, called Hairlycin.

It seems that they're also listed as the co-authors of the new study. No comment on if that's good or bad, just digging in a bit.

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just ordered. I also ordered distilled water that is pure enough for CPAP machines as well.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont know if someone posted this but thats ok, the study is on google patents

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20070020219A1/en

If you dont feel like reading here are some key points..Seems like this is a bit more complicated then just mixing the powder with water and spraying it on...but you never know i guess this is promising.

*The method according to claim 1, wherein the lactoferrin comprises bovine lactoferrin* (Cows Milk)

*It was found in the invention that an increased number of the hair follicles were activated to re-enter the anagen phase, where the hair follicles were highly active metabolically, with a thickening of the hypodermis and the hair rapidly grew on the lactoferrin-treated skin. According to the invention, lactoferrin was found to be effective in the promotion of hair growth regardless of the subject's gender or age, and the hair grew much faster and in greater volume and amount on the treated animals than those animals without the lactoferrin treatment.*

*The composition comprising lactoferrin may be applied to the skin of a subject through any method known in the field, including but not limited to topically spreading, spraying, steaming, or injecting the composition comprising lactoferrin onto or into the skin where hair growth promotion is desired. Alternatively, the subjects having the hair growth problem may be soaked or bathed in the composition comprising lactoferrin. According to the invention, the amount of lactoferrin in the composition may be about 50 mg/ml to about 500 mg/ml, preferably about 100 mg/ml to about 250 mg/ml, and more preferably, about 200 mg/ml.*

*Lactoferricin was generally prepared by cutting lactoferrin with the protein-cutting enzyme pepsin, although other acidic proteases could also be used. Specifically, 5 g of lactoferrin was prepared and mixed with 100 ml of double deionized water (ddH2O) into a commercially obtained bovine lactoferrin solution. The solution was then adjusted with 1M of hydrochloric acid (HCl) to yield a pH value of 2.5. Next, 30 mg of pepsin A powder was dissolved in the solution and an enzyme reaction that cuts lactoferrin into lactoferricin was allowed to proceed at 37° C. for at least 4 hours. The reaction was stopped by heating the solution in a hot water bath at 80° C. for another 15 minutes before cooling at room temperature. The solution was neutralized using 1M of NaOH and spun down at high speed centrifugation (17000 rpm at 4° C.) for 15 minutes. The supernatant separated from the centrifugation was collected to yield lactoferricin. Lactoferricin obtained as described above may be blended with other ingredients to form the composition that promotes hair growth in the subsequent method.*

great find and reads exactly like the plot of a low-budget sci-fi netflix movie
I hope this won't be another stemox or adenosine bullshit

RatherLurk

My Regimen
Reaction score
if the patent application is from 2005, wouldn't they have already tried clinical trials on humans?

Their product also used be sold through Alibaba it seems, but is now not available anywhere. It looks to me that the company behind it went bankrupt or cancelled the product at least.

It seems that the product never really got time to get much attention.

RatherLurk

My Regimen
Reaction score
Another topical product with Lactoferrin was Primak Topico. Sadly enough, it was also cancelled.
This product was not specifically targeted at hairloss though.

So this could mean two things:
a). The topical lactoferrin products were poorly marketed and therefore failed.
b). It doesn't work on human subjects.

Lele082

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone write up an explanation on how to go about putting together the solution at home in very very basic terms for the non-chemists here. Thank you very very much in advance.

kiwipilu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another topical product with Lactoferrin was Primak Topico. Sadly enough, it was also cancelled.

well there are few shampoos out there which have lactoferrin as ingredient among many others ingredients such as Piroctone olamine or zinc pyrithione. These often are shampoo for Seborrhoeic dermatitis obv. so we don't know what to make of lactoferrin when it's used in these shampoos. is it a key ingredient? what concentration? what purpose?

TNTS

Reaction score

There is hundred of hair loss products out there that they do not work at all, but this never stop them from releasing to the market.
Maybe they buried for other reasons.....
Lactoferrin looks very very interesting...

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why it didnt suprises me when i read MICE :rolleyes:

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
So some people already concluded it doesn't work based on a few products with lactoferrin disappearing in the past 10 years, before here anyone even got it let alone tried it. Nice! That's good old HairLossTalk.com that I know. No wonder no-one gets anywhere... :p