Lactoferrin As A Promoter Of Hair Growth

Jochem

My Regimen
Reaction score
twice daily, in the morning and evening with approximately 3-4 ml of my lactoferrin/water mixture.

i am cautiously optimistic and will take it for the next 3-6 months to see whether it helps with my situation (diffuse thinning; NW2-NW2.5)

Do you also use 80mg/ml like MrsS? What about the filtering procedure, or is it not necessary?

polishkickbuttowski

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you also use 80mg/ml like MrsS? What about the filtering procedure, or is it not necessary?
As far as filtering goes, if i dont filter mine I'm left with a bunch of hard white crap in my hair, so definitely filter it. I squeeze mine through a coffee filter and get an orangey liquid leaving a bunch of white powder in the filter. I'm not sure how much lactoferrin is being wasted by the filter, so if someone knows more about filtration lmk

Jochem

My Regimen
Reaction score
As far as filtering goes, if i dont filter mine I'm left with a bunch of hard white crap in my hair, so definitely filter it. I squeeze mine through a coffee filter and get an orangey liquid leaving a bunch of white powder in the filter. I'm not sure how much lactoferrin is being wasted by the filter, so if someone knows more about filtration lmk
I see, thanks! I was asking about the filtering specifically with regard to the brand roberta is using because it seems to indicate that it is 100% pure.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
twice daily, in the morning and evening with approximately 3-4 ml of my lactoferrin/water mixture.

i am cautiously optimistic and will take it for the next 3-6 months to see whether it helps with my situation (diffuse thinning; NW2-NW2.5)
but you're also on min + dermarolling, right?

Amonrah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ordered my pills, should be here in about two weeks, can someone please explain to a non chemist how do I go about dissolving them and applying it topically? Like what what do I use, how do I filter it and how much do u apply? Thank you guysm

Amonrah

My Regimen
Reaction score
I ordered my pills, should be here in two weeks. Can someone explain to me how to dissolve it, how to filter and apply? I'm not a chemist please help.

Jochem

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just applied my first topical lactoferrine (at 50mg/ml, approx 2.5ml in total). I use the AOV brand and the ingredient list doesn't mention anything other than lactoferrine so I just dissolved it in distilled water, giving the mixture a kind of red/orangy colour. It made my hair really dry and it feels like there is still some residue left on my scalp after 2h so I am not sure if it really absorbed into the skin properly.

I was thinking about adding it to my peppermint/rosemary topical which contains alcohol, but I dont have the chemical knowledge to figure out if that will change the properties of lactoferrine or make it ineffective somehow.

NotInmywatch

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just applied my first topical lactoferrine (at 50mg/ml, approx 2.5ml in total). I use the AOV brand and the ingredient list doesn't mention anything other than lactoferrine so I just dissolved it in distilled water, giving the mixture a kind of red/orangy colour. It made my hair really dry and it feels like there is still some residue left on my scalp after 2h so I am not sure if it really absorbed into the skin properly.

I was thinking about adding it to my peppermint/rosemary topical which contains alcohol, but I dont have the chemical knowledge to figure out if that will change the properties of lactoferrine or make it ineffective somehow.

proteins are biological agents they do work ONLY when their structure is not altered
for these reason, organic solvents like alcohol will render lactoferrin useless
maybe it could tolerate 0.5 or 1% alcohol but we do not know and even for a lab this is a lot of confirmatory analysis.
so I would play safe and use only pure water

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I had the same issue. On my black hair the residu appeared grey (yikes). Now that I use a coffee filter I Find that it helps a lot with the drying effect....

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I ordered my pills, should be here in two weeks. Can someone explain to me how to dissolve it, how to filter and apply? I'm not a chemist please help.

Check page 8 (page #151) and page 9 (message #170). Keep in mind we're still experimenting with the lotion!

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone have inflammation and itching that has been helped by lactoferrin??

I have been using for 3 weeks and it does nothing for my itching. Im using apolactoferrin and im thinking about switching to AOV brand.

If that doesnt help itching im thinking about using mesotherapy needles to make sure its reaching the follicle.

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone have inflammation and itching that has been helped by lactoferrin??

I have been using for 3 weeks and it does nothing for my itching. Im using apolactoferrin and im thinking about switching to AOV brand.

If that doesnt help itching im thinking about using mesotherapy needles to make sure its reaching the follicle.

I have. My scalp is calm, no more itching or burning sensation. I'm prone to inflammation.

I use the AOV brand by the way (Lactoferrin)

Jochem

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same issue. On my black hair the residu appeared grey (yikes). Now that I use a coffee filter I Find that it helps a lot with the drying effect....
I see, but since you are using the same brand as me, AOV 1137 lactoferrine, I am pretty sure you are just filtering out partly the lactoferrine since that is the only ingredient in there, right?

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I see, but since you are using the same brand as me, AOV 1137 lactoferrine, I am pretty sure you are just filtering out partly the lactoferrine since that is the only ingredient in there, right?

True, I guess I had to add more water.

correct me if i am wrong but i still think that you need 25 ml of water to dissovle a capsule of 250 mg, right (solubility = 10mg per ml)? so taking a 250mg capsule and dissolving it in say 10 ml of water, will leave some residue left.

I tried a solubility of 80 mg/ml which is less than the research? Still too much doe daily use... I will add more water in the next batch and check solubility.

Jochem

My Regimen
Reaction score
True, I guess I had to add more water.

I tried a solubility of 80 mg/ml which is less than the research? Still too much doe daily use... I will add more water in the next batch and check solubility.

I asked the place where I bought the AOV 1137 lactoferrine what the purity of their product was, they asked the manafucturer and told me that it was only 95%, so I think after all you were right to filter it. I just filtered a "batch" as well and judging from the residue in the coffee filter and the amounts of mg AOV I initially put in there it seemed that the 5% non-lactoferrine would make sense (it had a white-ish colour instead of red).

Also, it seems that lactoferrine is more soluble than 10mg/ml. But as someone else in this thread already mentioned, apparently the solubility of a substance does not need to refer to the max mg/ml. I also wonder, if it were trully max 10mg/ml, why the researchers in the study would have applied 40 or 200 mg/ml.

Analogies

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the answer is still no... and now f*** off
Where are the moderators for this type of behavior?

Attacking others for their input? Making false accusations? I've been on this forum for three years and have provided plenty of my own input.

Roberta, keep your comments to yourself and let the admins handle what you "Think" is spam...

hoggle

Reaction score
I'm interested in lactoferrin but ingesting it.. does anyone know if it would help with iron absorption? The alpolactoferrin?

My ferritin is in the 20s last I checked but my TIBC (total iron binding capacity) is ALSO low meaning I can't absorb any iron... In everyone else when ferritin is low tibc is high.

I have Androgenetic Alopecia but low ferritin isn't doing me any favors