kerzyguy's story -updated june 2nd 2008, new pics!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: NEW PICS - SHAVED HEAD (updated december 25th)

my friend is a NW5 at the age of 23, his father is a NW7. I have seen his grandfather from his mon's side, he is 60 something with great hair.

G

RaginDemon said:
my friend is a NW5 at the age of 23, his father is a NW7. I have seen his grandfather from his mon's side, he is 60 something with great hair.

Yes it can definitely come from either side. The androgen receptor gene is located on the X chromosome though, which is why the maternal side matters a bit more.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

I see.

Every time I looked at my buddy's horseshoe, I feel sorry for him and I know I am very luck comparing to guys like him.

He shaved his head a year ago but you can still see the horseshoe. He knew all alone he would get bald but it still sucks to get bald at the age of 23.

G

what Norwood are you? any pics on here?

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

in response to jayman, i will tell you about the males on each side of my family, on my dads side, the only male who had any loss prior to the age of 80 was his grandfather on his moms side, i saw a pic he was a nw3 at about 60, but his dad, his brother, his uncles all had hair till their 80's, his brother(my uncle) is 57, full head of hair, my dad is 53 with a full head of hair and no loss what so ever, so basically every male on my dads side and my grandfathers side, do not go bald. my brother is 27 and he has a full head of hair with 0 loss, but hes a my half brother and has a different mom, but his grandfather was a Norwood 3 at like 30 and stayed that way till his passing at 75, so it seems he took my dads genes. so i dunno, there doesnt seem to be any generation skipping. now on my moms side, the only male that seemed to have loss which i think looks like he has loss was my mothers dad, but i never met him as he died when she was 10. theres a pic of him at age 30, seems to be like a nw2 with thinning hair in the front and he had a big forehead, but my grandma said he wasnt balding and it only looked like that cause it was shaved for the army and that his hair never was thinning and his hair was the same for the 10 years she was married to him untill he died, but to me it looks like hes thinning, but the pic is black and white and not very good. my great uncles on my moms side all have amazing heads of hair, my great uncle died this past year at 85 and had still a full head of hair. all the women on my dads side too have an amazing amounts of hair, same with my moms side, but they have a different type of hair, mine is thick and wavy like my dads, my mom has thin wire like hair but has lots of it, like she doesnt look like she has the female balding. i have a pic from when i was 12, and i had the kids hairline, but at 13 i had the mature hairline i still have to this day and it looks like it hasnt changed. i went to my doctor and not a derm, but she looked at my hair and she said it was a mature hairline, and since i have a widows peak, it means its a strong hairline. i really dont know. i SOMETIMES, not everyday get hair in my hand in the shower, and its only like 1-2 hairs in my hand, and sometimes i get no hairs.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

heres a 3new pics which i took today, my hair might looks gross cause i havnt washed it yet lol, but yeah, i do have a big forehead, so im supposing it make sit look worse than it actually is, like to me, i dont think my hair is thinning, it seems to be the same thickness all over, its just the frontal area.

NEW PICS
P1000602.jpg

P1000582.jpg

P1000570.jpg

P1000588.jpg

OLD PICS (bout 1-2 months ago)
P1000432.jpg

P1000431.jpg

P1000505.jpg

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score

honestly fella you have no idea what hairloss is.

G

Re: NEW PICS PAGE 5 (updated jan 7th 2008)

Krz,

I gotta be honest and disagree with everyone here after seeing this pic. Was it taken with flash by the way? Is the hair wet or dry? It looks dry.

Here's the pic I'm talking about:

P1000499.jpg

The reason I say that I am concerned is that that type of thinning looks like the similar type of mild-moderate diffusing that was happen to me. Your hairline is in pretty good shape but from the crown and midscalp area I honestly do see what looks like some thinning. I'm not trying to scare you or whatever because I do see lots of guys come on who are just experiencing hairline maturation and shouldn't fret about hair loss at all, but coming from someone who had a similar situation(albeit worse than yours), with hairline maturation and for me at least, some diffusion all over the scalp, I would look into it. I really wouldn't take a wait and see approach here because the earlier you start the better.

Now the doctor you saw, was she a dermatologist? If you want to feel better about it actually, send that pic I pasted above of your hair to a good and ethical hair transplant surgeon like Dr Rassman, not because you're interested in a transplant, but becuase you want to see if you're actually balding. I sent him a picture of a guy who had a full head of hair once and just had a cowlick like most guys have, and asked about crown transplantation, and he sent me a message back saying that I had no n eed of a transplant and should enjoy my life. That is an ethical hair transplant surgeon. So send him the picture above and ask him if you're experiencing hair loss and what to do about it. He's seen thousands of heads of hair and if he doesn't think that you're diffusing then I wouldn't worry about it. But if he agrees with me that you are, I would look into it.

You can get his contact info here with his e-mail:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Co ... sp?DrID=22

Shoot him an e-mail with the pic.

Also check out his blog if you want. Lots of good free, unbiased and ethical information about hair loss:

http:/www.baldingblog.com

Good luck. If it is hair loss, you have an excellent shot of at least maintaining if not recovering your hair on something like propecia and or rogaine foam. It's good to be proactive about this and I initially said your hair was fine, so it took me looking at your picture in photoshop and using tools to zoom in that convinced me that there is a decent chance of your hair thinning out up there. That is usually the first process in a diffuser before the hairline starts to go if it does, so keep your eye out and e-mail Rassman

Any questions, pm me

Regards,
Jayman

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

see thew thing is with that pic, is that its under bright light and flash, also, my hair is growing in from a buzzcut, so its basically standing straight up in that picture as opposed to the front and sides where the hair is flat, when i take off the flash the hair looks normal and you dont see scalp. like in person, my hair does look like it has uniform thickness throughout.
heres a pic before i buzzed it, it looks normal to me i think
P1000400.jpg

also heres a pic from literally 30 seconds ago, now, i recently had tinea capitis (ringworm), and i am currently using lamisil for clearing it up, the hair is growing back but in this picture underneath i circled the spots where the infection was, if you think there is thinning, could it be because of my recent situation with medication and the whole ringworm thing?
P1000608.jpg

P1000605.jpg

G

kerzy. here is my hair at half an inch. i was diffusing throughout the top and front of the scalp behind the hairline but my hairline hadn't receded much at all:

d900jb7.jpg

I buzzed it in October 2006 to half an inch and you can see it there, also under very bright light and flash.

most people probably wouldn't thinki was balding either. people didn't! my girlfriend knew i was because she saw me with longer hair before i did it, and she said WOW, the buzz cut does a grea tjob of hiding the balding in front. so other people couldn't tell. but i have it eye for it now.

just send the pic to rassman and see what he says. explain the factors behind it too to him so he gets the whole story

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

the picture u have shown isnt showing up, it has a red x

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

and heres actually a good pic under light, with no flash, you can clearly see the area where the ringworm was, but i think my crown looks normal? red circles indicate the tinea capitis area once again lol

P1000609-1.jpg

G

kerzyguy said:
the picture u have shown isnt showing up, it has a red x

the pictutre is showing up now. i put itup

everyone said after i did it when i asked if i looked like i was balding, they all said that it looked lik ei was before but that buzz cuts are supposed to lot a lot of scalp and just looked at the hairline. i know that i was balding though.

i'm not sure i understand though. i mean people told you your hair was fine. then you tried to convince us that it wasn't. then i agreed with you that maybe it is thinning and now you're trying to tell me that it isn't haha. what do you want from us? :p

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

well im sorry, i was never really worried about my crown, like, before it was jsut my frontal area i was aworried about, im just saying, i have never really thought my crown was thinning or anything, cause in person, it looks uniform with the rest of my hair, and has the same density. its just i was worried about the front. i really appreciate your input though guys, i guess i should have mentioned i have ocd, so im really fanatic about my hair, i look at it in the mirror all the time, i guess when i look at it, i see something thats worse than what others see, i dunno, to me the crown and thicknes look ok, just the supposed mature hairline im worried bout

G

like i said, i'd be considerably more concerned about what i saw on the crown and midscalp in that picture than any hairline shots ive seen. your hairline just looks like a mature hairline, and plenty of guys start to thin back in the crown and midscalp before the hairline even recedes a quarter of an inch past maturity. im sure you see guys like that all the time who have lost a lot more than you if youve lost any. hair looks great from the front, but bald spot in the back.

i'd just send the pic to rassman because some guys on HairLossTalk.com have a tendency to dismiss minor thinning in the crown as cowlicks and scalp visible during buzz cuts as normal. some scalp sure, but when the cut is the same length all over and there's scalp on the right side showing and not on the left, it's a cause for investigation, at least that's my opinion.

and then there's other guys on here who would tell you that you are already very bald, and they're very wrong.

i personally just think that your hairline situation is fine(for now at least), it looks great, and the midscalp and crown on the right side need further examination because they may be thinning. it may be visible at that buzz cut length but not on longer hair because the hair covers up the scalp better when it's longer. i know that's the case for me. i know for me at least that a shaved head or very short buzz hides everything, a medium haircut shows more thinning, and longer hair shows almost none. if your hair isn't perfectly straight and has some wave or curl to it then it will cover scalp better when longer. so keep that in mind.

Was the doctor you went to a dermatologist? If not, definitely get in to see one of those. Some derms don't even have a clue so it's very true that if a doctor isn't a dermatologist, they will generally have almost no clue about hair loss unless they're suffering from it themselves.

regards,
jayman

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

i dont know, when i look at it from behind in the mirror, it doesnt look thin, but i went ahead and sent those pics to the doctor in the link you sent, like, when ever i ask a friend they said it looks normal back there as the rest of my family say it looks ok, the only part that was ever mentioned was my dad said i got the same temple recession as him which is jsut a matured hairline. i dont know, i understand like the other guy said you guys r experts almost lol, so yeah, but imo its just a bad picture, cause every other one it just shows my cowlick of a crown and the bald spots from tinea capitis

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

and i have a question, what exactly is diffuse thinning, i looked it up quickly and it said it can be caused my diabeties or diet, now recently i have been meaning to actually get checked for diabeties, which now im scared cause, well thats one more symtom i can add to what seems to be what possibly could be a problem, if it turns out to be that, would the medication help keep it in control and have it come back if its just cause of that then

G

kerzyguy said:
and i have a question, what exactly is diffuse thinning, i looked it up quickly and it said it can be caused my diabeties or diet, now recently i have been meaning to actually get checked for diabeties, which now im scared cause, well thats one more symtom i can add to what seems to be what possibly could be a problem, if it turns out to be that, would the medication help keep it in control and have it come back if its just cause of that then

no those sites are using a different definition. my definition of diffuse thinning is from the word diffusion. it's the definition rassman uses. Hair loss that is spread out rather than concentrated in one area, like say, the temples, or the crown. I saw on that one pic of yours that it looks like a small degree of thinning across the top right side of the scalp and extending back toward the crown. That's called diffuse patterned alopecia because the sides and back of your head(your donor zone that doctors would take grafts from if you ever got an hair transplant) don't usually thin along with it, or at least they don't thin anywhere near as much as the top. diffuse unpatterned alopecia is thinning over the entire head and that's what you should be concerned about if you have it, because it could be linked to a medical condition. but yours is just along one side which indicates to me that if are you balding, it's just starting there, and genetic- probably from your maternal grandfather.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score

but like where it looks thinning, it doesnt look like it when the lights off, the hair there stands straight?:s

G

kerzyguy said:
but like where it looks thinning, it doesnt look like it when the lights off, the hair there stands straight?:s

well darker rooms and rooms with no light always make hair look thicker for diffusers. my hair looks 10x as thick in low light as it does in bright bathroom light.