IGF-1/Milk/Estrogen

hudsonhawke

Established Member
Reaction score
had to get off the flaxseed oil as I started getting alot of those underskin spots! is this a common side affect associated?

Hoppi

Reaction score
come on guys. LIGNANS are what we really need from Flax, and Omegas don't hurt either.

Flax seed oil doesn't contain lignans, as far as I'm aware.

Lignans stop testosterone and estrogen from getting too high, and so help to control sex hormones. Best idea is to have healthy T production, and take lignans or similar to regulate both, as then you will always have ENOUGH testosterone but not so much as to aggravate follicles, and the right level of E.

Simples! :)

Jacob

Reaction score
Yes..there is a difference between taking the oil or taking the seed..Mercola gets into that either in that article or another. I've seen similar opinions elsewhere as well...

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Lignans stop testosterone and estrogen from getting too high, and so help to control sex hormones. Best idea is to have healthy T production, and take lignans or similar to regulate both, as then you will always have ENOUGH testosterone but not so much as to aggravate follicles, and the right level of E.

Do you really think that lignans and other dietary factors have more control over androgen production than the brain itself? :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Hoppi said:

Do you really think that lignans and other dietary factors have more control over androgen production than the brain itself? :)

It's not really to do with the brain, the main thing that regulates sex hormones is SHBG from the liver, and lignans help to keep production of it optimal.

I think I can probably drop them though as I think Curcumin and a good diet might be sufficient as long as I don't take anything that boosts T too sharply (I might ditch my Ashwagandha in favour of schisandra for stress as Ash boosts T a fair bit which makes me uncomfortable lol)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
It's not really to do with the brain, the main thing that regulates sex hormones is SHBG from the liver...

Really? How do you figure such a thing? You really don't think the brain keeps a close regulatory watch over the production of androgens by the body? :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
It's just how SHBG works. The body is always falling in and out of optimal hormonal balance, depending on diet, lifestyle etc.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
It's just how SHBG works.

I can't help but notice that you didn't answer my question about how you think the brain works, regarding the control of androgen production! :)

I'll suggest to YOU the same thing I suggested to misterE: get a good medical book on endocrinology, and read & study how the brain controls androgen production; the role of gonadotropins like LH and FSH, the HPT feedback axis, etc. You'll be surprised how carefully the body regulates all this stuff. You'll find out that there's a lot more to this stuff than just the silly theories you read on Internet hairloss forums about SHBG.

Hoppi

Reaction score
If that was true then no-one would ever have high anything, high testosterone, high estrogen, high DHT, high cortisol.. life is full of examples of people's hormones being out of balance.

Even simple things effect it. If i get too stressed I increase cortisol which decreases testosterone. As does insulin. As we get older we end up with less T and more E, as the process of making T gets less efficient. Ashwagandha, good vitamin D levels, schisandra, all these things increase testosterone production. Resveratrol inhibits conversion of T into E. I believe most forms of Ginseng increase T production, which is why these things have been considered so highly for thousands of years as fertility enhancers.

Basically there are many ways to affect this balance, the evidence is all around us, it's on blood test results, it's in the effect of natural and synthetic aphrodisiacs, it's in the effects of stress. Many, many, many things affect your hormonal levels on a day to day basis.

A quick google search for pretty much anything I have just said will verify it :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
If that was true then no-one would ever have high anything, high testosterone, high estrogen, high DHT, high cortisol.. life is full of examples of people's hormones being out of balance.

No no no....you don't undertand! :) I'm not saying that it's impossible to have abnormal levels of testosterone (again, I wish you'd stop using the amateurish expression "out of balance" in this context) just because the brain keeps close control over it, I'm saying that the brain tends to keep close watch over its set-point of testosterone production, which it maintains through the use of the gonadotropic hormones LH and FSH. But various medical issues and problems may alter that set-point of what your brain thinks is the proper level of testosterone.

Hoppi said:
Even simple things effect it. If i get too stressed I increase cortisol which decreases testosterone. As does insulin. As we get older we end up with less T and more E, as the process of making T gets less efficient.

I don't think it's because the process of making T "gets less efficient". I think _some_ of it is because of increasing levels of estrogen. Remember, estrogen suppresses testosterone production! It's one of the important players in the HPT feedback loop which controls T production.

Hoppi said:
Ashwagandha, good vitamin D levels, schisandra, all these things increase testosterone production. Resveratrol inhibits conversion of T into E. I believe most forms of Ginseng increase T production, which is why these things have been considered so highly for thousands of years as fertility enhancers.

I don't know about those other things you mentioned, but yes, if resveratrol significantly inhibits the conversion of T into E, it would quite reasonably be expected to increase T production.

Hoppi said:
A quick google search for pretty much anything I have just said will verify it :)

Again: if you're really interested in this stuff, I suggest you get your information from legitimate medical sources, not stuff you read on Internet forums.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thing is I'm only really trying to keep T and E at healthy levels, I'm not trying to increase or decrease either of them as such. I don't think boosting either of them systemically is particularly desirable, but they just need to be at good, healthy levels for a male.

So I lower cortisol and insulin, and just encourage the body to be at good hormonal balance. Curcumin, resveratrol, schisandra, that kinda stuff are my main players here, I mean cur and res is a patented hair loss treatment on it's OWN! lol

And man, who else misses misterE? I want the dude back >.< He was such a character! ^_^

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Thing is I'm only really trying to keep T and E at healthy levels, I'm not trying to increase or decrease either of them as such. I don't think boosting either of them systemically is particularly desirable, but they just need to be at good, healthy levels for a male.

Huh? If they are NOT at "good, healthy levels", how on earth are you going to get them there without increasing or decreasing them?? :)

Hoppi, you seem to have this goofy, child-like faith that all you have to do is eat the right foods and take the right supplements, and all your hormones will be magically "balanced" in some mysterious way (apparently without actually altering their levels in any way), as God smiles down on you from above, preventing any diseases (including male pattern baldness) from happening to you. Too bad it's not that simple! :)

Hoppi said:
And man, who else misses misterE? I want the dude back >.< He was such a character! ^_^

Not me, I don't miss him at all. I'm glad he's gone. All he did was spread his misinformation and his ridiculous theories.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Actually, eating the right diet is mainly to reduce inflammation, get good nutrients into me, and not overload my body with insulin. It also calms down cortisol levels.

I doubt diet alone is enough to solve my hair loss, I think I also need to reduce my stress and correct my thyroid, and make small lifestyle changes.

My regimen is designed as a quick fix to stop my shedding!

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Nonsense, it's an imagined "quick fix" for your own faith and hope fantasy theme park inside your head.

...unless of coarse you truly can say you have a doctor diagnosed thyroid condition or such causing your hair loss.

If it was only that easy Hoppi. If what you say has any major significance for people who suffer from male pattern baldness, then you might as well add stupid things like "don't cross the road and get hit by a car cause it too could hurt your scalp hair"!

I could imagine like you all kinds of useless crap that sounds good for the masses. Hell I'll even write a book. 101 ways to solve hair problems. By Hoopi and Mr E. You probably will write one like that and you practically are on this forum. (822 post since Feb 2010 ! )

Me thinks you and Mr E are just excited about improving your life through good natural food and clean living that most young people miss out on. Congrats on making those discoveries and they WILL improve one life extensively!!!!! But it has little to do with or little impact on saving ones hair from powerful male pattern baldness genetics. You can go bald with your regime and I won't TRICK it on to some pour sole or give them false hope to one desperate for answers who is losing his hair to DHT.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Good post, hairrific! :pint:

It may seem a little harsh, but Hoppi needs to see that!

Hoppi

Reaction score
Thing is it's very easy to form an astoundingly simplistic model of something in your head and then condemn anyone who attempts to add any more levels of complexity.

Also I'm not even asking that you understand something like the effects of different kinds of inflammation, processes of cellular apoptosis, stages of key pathways.. it's just that when I dont know about something I dont condemn it, I take the time to learn about it, see real world applications of it, and then gradually form more and more of a personal opinion based on my own experience and what I've learnt. It really is very fascinating and I simply care very much about keeping my hair, but also working with my body. In summary, please dont condemn things before fully researching them and understanding them.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
A fantastic read. Thanks for the links.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
seaback said:
In summary, please dont condemn things before fully researching them and understanding them.

Please buy and read this book :

Hair Growth and Disorders
Blume-Peytavi, U.; Tosti, A.; Whiting, D.A.; Trüeb, R.M. (Eds.)

You can read the chapter 2, The endocrine control of the hair follicle, here:

http://books.google.fr/books?id=pHrX2-h ... rs&f=false

You can read the chapter 3, Neuroimmunology of the hair follicle, here:

http://books.google.fr/books?id=pHrX2-h ... rs&f=false

Enjoy !