IGF-1/Milk/Estrogen

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I was doing research on IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor) and to cut it short: it claims to regrows hair. Then I came across some studies that claim high levels of IGF-1 caused balding, which is contradictory to other studies saying the opposite. Next I learned that the commercial milk industies uses synthetic growth hormones on all the cows and treat them like milk machines. rBGH is the name of the main hormone they use to increase milk production. rBGH (Bovine Growth Hormone) increases IGF-1 levels, which when drank by the young causes growth. Studies show that high levels of circulating IGF-1 causes balding, studies also show milk consumption is related to hormonal cancer like breast, colon, and prostate. So, why is milk so bad, if it is a good source of IGF-1 which has shown to regulate hair growth cycles? It is because milk raises your estradiol levels and probably contains xenoestrogens. Estradiol prevents IGF-1 from binding to the receptor, so instead of binding to the recepter and being beneficial, it can circulate the body promoting unwanted changes, such as cancer. The more estrogen you have in your body the less Growth Hormone you can absorb, this is why women are smaller than men. Estradiol also saturates the androgen receptor tricking your body into thinking it has enough testosterone when it really doesent. So I have come to the conclusion that IGF-1 is good for hair growth, but excess estrogen within your body will cause the IGF-1 to act against you instead of promote tissue regeneration and muscle growth. Avoid animal fat including milk (animal fat increases estradiol), but make sure you get good protein sources like eggs,fish,turkey,beans etc. Eliminate excess estrogen by exercising, eating fiber foods, avoiding disposible plastic water bottles, flaxseeds reduce estradiol, and the suppliment DIM helps with estrogen matabolism, and finally research: andropause or estrogen dominance.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Still on that anti-estrogen kick, misterE? :)

Please answer this question for me: why does estrogen stimulate the growth of balding scalp hair follicles?

HairDont

Established Member
Reaction score
OK Bryan here is the answer:

Some estrogen is good, too much estrogen is bad.
Easy enough!

I definitely believe that estrogen overload leads to hair thinning.

Switch to Organic milk. A bit more expensive, but you will feel much better about the decision.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Estrogen is metabolized by two main competing pathways, either to 2-hydroxyestrone or to 16-hydroxyestrone. 16-hydroxyestrone is what I think plays a part in inflammation, which I believe is the main cause of M.P.B.
16-hydroxyestrone is what causes negative effects of estrogen like decreased Growth Hormone secretion, increase in Cortisol, and maybe even D.H.T.
2-hydroxyestrone is the protective estrogen metabolite, acts as an anti-oxidant and protects the heart. Studies have shown that consumtion of ground flaxseeds promotes estrogen being metabolised into 2-hydroxyestrone instead of the inflammatory 16-hydroxyestrone. Flaxseeds are also the worlds richest supply of omega-3 fatty acids and lignans. Omega-3 reduces inflammation and improves the blood stream, and lignans are precursors for Secoisolariciresinol Diglucoside (SDG), which improves hair growth by converting into Enteractolone, which inhibits the formation of androsterone and inhibits aromatase and alpha-5-reductase. Flaxseeds are a phytoestrogen, they can be used to reduce estradiol levels in men, reduce free-testosterone levels, reduce D.H.T., increase S.H.B.G., and testosterone. Too much estrogen blocks the absorbtion of IGF-1 and H.G.H., increases fat/decreases muscle, raises cortisol/D.H.T. and most importantly it causes inflammation!

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Sorry I had said that Secoisolariciresinol Diglucoside (SDG) was converted into Enteractolone... this is a typo. Secoisolariciresinol Diglucoside (SDG) is converted into Enterolactone inside the colon.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HairDont said:

Easy enough!

You didn't answer the question that I asked! I didn't ask how much systemic estrogen a male should have in his system, I asked something very clear and specific: why does estrogen (even very LARGE amounts of it applied in vitro) stimulate the growth of balding scalp hair follicles? Care to take a stab at answering that specific question? :)

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea I've always wondered about this...I have been in a dilemma deciding whether milk is good or bad for hair

I personally think it accelerates hairloss because of all the screwy hormone stuff inside....

So basically stop drinking milk right?

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
HairDont said:

Easy enough!

You didn't answer the question that I asked! I didn't ask how much systemic estrogen a male should have in his system, I asked something very clear and specific: why does estrogen (even very LARGE amounts of it applied in vitro) stimulate the growth of balding scalp hair follicles? Care to take a stab at answering that specific question? :)

Here is my guess: it binds to the receptors before DHT can?

HairDont

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry Bryan,
Can't answer this one since I am not a scientist.

But I do know personally from real life expereince that when my Estrogen levels were at their highest, was when I was suffering from some pretty heavy shedding. All my other levels were within range.

I have spoken to others with similar experiences.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
HairDont said:
But I do know personally from real life expereince that when my Estrogen levels were at their highest, was when I was suffering from some pretty heavy shedding.

Kinda makes you wonder how the vast majority of women can have such good hair, right?

In any event....even though it's very likely true that the gradually increasing levels of estrogen in aging men is a serious health concern, there can be little doubt that at the very least, estrogen's direct effect on scalp hair growth is a beneficial one.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Soybeans also contain the isoflavones genistein and daidzein, types of phytoestrogen, naturally occurring estrogenic substances might just help my hair.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Bryan said:
HairDont said:
But I do know personally from real life expereince that when my Estrogen levels were at their highest, was when I was suffering from some pretty heavy shedding.

Kinda makes you wonder how the vast majority of women can have such good hair, right?

In any event....even though it's very likely true that the gradually increasing levels of estrogen in aging men is a serious health concern, there can be little doubt that at the very least, estrogen's direct effect on scalp hair growth is a beneficial one.

When androgens rise in women they get hair thinning and ance, when estrogens rise in men they get hair thinning and ance.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
Yea I've always wondered about this...I have been in a dilemma deciding whether milk is good or bad for hair

I personally think it accelerates hairloss because of all the screwy hormone stuff inside....

So basically stop drinking milk right?

Correct. I have heard somewhere that large amounts of calcium block the absorbtion of protein. Also when calcium intake is high, absorbtion is low and when intake is low absorbtion is high. There is a diet floating around out there called The Anti-Estrogenic Diet, look it up on youtube , it explains all about the hormones added to milk and red meat and the feminizing effects it has on men.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Also when calcium intake is high, absorbtion is low and when intake is low absorbtion is high.

That's a misleading half-truth. When the calcium intake is high, the percentage of calium absorption is lower, although the absolute amount of calcium absorption is still higher.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
when estrogens rise in men they get hair thinning and ance.

LOL! You're confusing association with causation!

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
avoiding disposible plastic water bottles,

Forgive my ignorance, but what benefits does that have for hair?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Yes, Xenoestrogens are known to wreak havoic to your endocrine and immune systems, and are difficult to remove from your body.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Does a soy supplement containing isoflavones genistein and daidzein, types of phytoestrogen, naturally occurring estrogenic substances help my hair?