IGF-1/Milk/Estrogen

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
Drink much milk from my 14 years (I 18) and I not have MBP and my hair grows a lot, I stop drinking milk or not ? Then I started to drink much milk my hair started to become "strong"

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
dpdr said:
Drink much milk from my 14 years (I 18) and I not have MBP and my hair grows a lot, I stop drinking milk or not ? Then I started to drink much milk my hair started to become "strong"

So when you drink milk your hair becomes "strong"?

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
Axl_Rose said:
dpdr said:

So when you drink milk your hair becomes "strong"?
Yes, I drink almost 1 liter per day, I like to mix with aveias, cereals and chocolate :hump:

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I just recently learned that either Human Growth Hormone (H.G.H.) or Insulin creates IGF-1, and IGF-1 acts like both H.G.H. and Insulin, meaning it contributes to the growth of either body fat (which creates estrogen in men), or body muscle (which creates testosterone in men). I believe that IGF-1, which is created by insulin, is what contributes to M.P.B., and the IGF-1 produced by H.G.H. is what causes the hair to "thicken". Remember that balding men are shown to have higher IGF-1 levels and lower IGFBP-3 levels. It is well known that high blood sugar levels are extremely bad, for many reasons such as: it inhibits H.G.H. release, it is stored as fat, it reduces S.H.B.G. and much more.

Insulin itself is a growth factor, one of the most powerful hormones within our body...and luckily one of the easiest to control. It would seem to me that the ideal way to control insulin and therefore IGF-1 as well, would be thru diet. Dietary protein is known to release H.G.H. that once again stimulates the "muscle building form" of IGF-1 from the liver to build muscle and burn fat. Dietary fat is known to moderately inhibit the release of H.G.H., but one must remember Omega 3 is crucial to hair health. Carbs are known to raise insulin levels but whole grains, or carbs with fiber, very slowly release insulin. Sugar and all high-glycemic carbs such as soda causes a sharp blood sugar spike which makes you pancreas produce copious amount of insulin, which builds up as fat, reduces strength, contributes to arteriosclerosis (a major factor in M.P.B.), and inhibits IGFBP-3 (which was shown to be low in balding men). To increase H.G.H, that is done by extreme endurance exercises, and is actually a natural process. Estrogen levels within the body determine the amount of H.G.H. is released, in other words; estrogen inhibits H.G.H. Testosterone helps trigger the release of H.G.H. and the two work together keeping the male body young, lean, and strong.

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
MisterE, I have started on Whey Protein Isolate stuff since past few months. I have heard it increases IGF 1 levels.

Can this be taken as good for hair?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Carbs are known to raise insulin levels but whole grains, or carbs with fiber, very slowly release insulin.

What makes you think that whole grains very slowly release insulin?

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
So does that mean milk and dairy products are bad for you? since they raise IGF-1 levels?

vauxall

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
misterE said:
Carbs are known to raise insulin levels but whole grains, or carbs with fiber, very slowly release insulin.

What makes you think that whole grains very slowly release insulin?

Whole grains, with some exception, have a lower glycemic load and they have more "non-starch polysaccharides" (NSP) that slow down sugar absorption and therefore insulin load.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
Whole grains, with some exception, have a lower glycemic load and they have more "non-starch polysaccharides" (NSP) that slow down sugar absorption and therefore insulin load.

I know you did say "with some exception", but wheat must be one of them, because whole wheat bread has about the same glycemic index as white bread. That's probably because the fiber in wheat is almost exclusively insoluble.

Not sure what a "non-starch polysaccharide" is.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
icdalite said:
MisterE, I have started on Whey Protein Isolate stuff since past few months. I have heard it increases IGF 1 levels.

Can this be taken as good for hair?

Yes and no. IGF-1 is a vital and important hormone that promotes proper growth of the body. But too much IGF-1 and too little IGFBP-3 are known to be shown in balding men.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
elvis123 said:
So does that mean milk and dairy products are bad for you? since they raise IGF-1 levels?

Drum-Role Please!!!....................Yes! I am completely convinced that dairy is bad for you. Dairy could be a very concentrated source of xenoestrogens, which are used to increse dairy production. Also dairy is shown to cause a drastic increase in IGF-1. Milk is known naturally to increase IGF-1 because when you think about it, that is milk's purpose...To increase growth, that is why mothers produce milk for the offspring, to help "jump-start" the growth. But our good friends at monsanto have created what is called rBHG, which is injected into livestock to make them produce more milk. rBGH makes a drastic increase of IGF-1 in the cow, which is then passed on into our milk, in other words...Milk has twice as much IGF-1 than milk not treated with rBGH. Dairy also contains large amounts of dietary fat.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
ok you are very confussing mister-e ....in a nutshell please just tell us what is good to take to keep hair strong and thicken it.... from what I read you say milk and dairy products are bad.... so what is good and what pills/food would you recomend ?

misterE's "big three"
1. Beta Sitosterol
2. Flax Seed Lignans
3. Nizoral shampoo

As for food, follow the anti-inflammatroy or anti-estrogenic diet, even thou they are pretty much the same.

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
See! this is what we need more of in this forum....people who are smart, knowledgeable and willing to help the community.

Not some old washed up fart like Bryan who only criticizes peoples theories and pushes Dr. Proctor's products even harder than drug dealers on skid row.

Bryan, you and Dr. P can officially retire and start butt humping each other in the Off-Topic Miscellaneous Intercourse of Brilliant Minds thread. :punk: Krazygay and stacks can join you both so you have some hair to hold on to while you're ramming it. hahahaha.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
vauxall said:
Bryan said:
Not sure what a "non-starch polysaccharide" is.
It's fiber (of fibre)...

Aha!! I suspected that it might be fiber, although I wasn't completely sure. I can't help but wonder why anybody would use such a highfalutin term as "non-starch polysaccharide", when fiber is very common and easily available.

BTW, that reinforces what I said before about the fiber in wheat: it's almost exclusively insoluble, so it's not going to have any effect at slowing-down the absorption of sugar. Only soluble fiber does that, which I've noticed has been a major point of confusion on various Internet discussion forums where such things are talked about. In fact, the differences between soluble and insoluble fiber are so important, in my opinion, I almost never use the term "fiber" by itself at all. I almost always specify which one I'm talking about, as in "soluble fiber" or "insoluble fiber".

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
There is no doubt that fiber is essential to the health of our body and hair. As I recall, soluble-fiber creates a gel-like substance that slows the absorption of carbs, which would balance blood sugar and insulin. Soluble-fiber significantly reduces the amount of fat that is absorbed, and reduces bile from reabsorbing, that's one of the reasons it is thought to also help prevent arteriosclerosis (a huge factor in M.P.B.). Insoluble-fiber moves through the digestive system and cleanses the intestines, it is know to help bind to toxins and excrete them out of the body, it also helps increase the bulk of your sh*t.

It is thought that a high fat diet leads to more estrogen and D.H.T. and less S.H.B.G. and I read somewhere that a low fat, high fiber, diet will lower estrogen and D.H.T. and increase S.H.B.G. and testosterone. Therefore fiber plays and important and vital role for the health of the hair.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
mister-e please tell me where you get your flax-seed and how much you take and also please support why you think it is important for hairloss ?

Flaxseed is a wonder natural product; it's cheap and extremely available. Look in your grocery stores, in the flour isle, or vitamin isle. Ground flaxseed is what you need, because eating the whole seed would just pass straight thru undigested. I believe that flaxseed helps with balding by its unique multi-angle approach.

1. Lignans:: Lignans are phytoestrogens, what they do is bind to SHBG, knocking testosterone off of SHBG, making it "bio-available". At the same time, the aromatase and alpha-5-reductase enzymes are also inhibited; protecting the free testosterone while it does its job. Lignans are also know to be extremely powerful anti-oxidants which help protect you from insulin resistance/diabetes and atherosclerosis both major contributors to M.P.B. Lignans are estrogen balancing chemicals that are also show to increase the good estrogen called 2-hydroxyestrogen to the bad estrogen called 16-hydroxyestrogen.

2. Essential Fatty Acids:: Flax is not only the best source of lignans but also the omega 3 fatty acid A.L.A.: a know anti-inflammatory and vasodilator.

3. Dietary Fiber:: Flax has both types of fiber soluble and insoluble, which together reduces cholesterol and controls blood sugar. Also flax has moderate protein.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
ok so is flax-seed helpful if one already takes 0.5 mg of propecia ?

Yes...I think that flax would be helpful no matter what. Propecia inhibits D.H.T. but it my opinion that can't be healthy. D.H.T. respones to estrogen, because D.H.T. is a estrogen antagonist. So if you stop attacking D.H.T. and start attacking estrogen, D.H.T. would balance itself out, leading to a rise of healthy testosterone, which is what is needed for healthy aging.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
D.H.T. respones to estrogen, because D.H.T. is a estrogen antagonist.

DHT "responds" to estrogen in the OPPOSITE way you think, stupid.

mykal_P

Established Member
Reaction score
This might seem like a weird question misterE but you say estrogen is bad in high levels for males. Then wouldn't males trying to become females and doing the estrogen therapy lose all their hair.