IGF-1/Milk/Estrogen

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I believe that the phytoestrogens found in soy are beneficial for regrowth, I use flax seeds, but soy is a rich source as well. I also read that soy-protein isolate elevates IGF-1 much higher than whey-protein isolate, but both are know to raise IGF-1 levels. I know that soy consumption helps creates Equol within the intestines, this is supposed to be what helps regrow hair.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting. The study show that balding men had higher levels of IGF.

So just so I understand...MILK, whey protein, raises insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) but SOY, SOY specifically SOY PROTEIN raises it much much more, so they are both bad. :( :shock: High levels of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) can aggravate hair loss and cancer etc.

I am assuming and hoping that soy isoflavones supplements are not raising IGF-1 ?

elvis123

Established Member
Reaction score
soy milk doesn't raise igf does it? it comes from beans, there are no added hormones to it.....

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
MisterE I was interested in Flaxseed after reading some of your posts and noticed you also consume this. I found this website (among other similar ones) and if you read the comments at the bottom of the page (100+), overwhelmingly negative reaction in regards to hair, what do you think about this?

It's really annoying because many alternative supplements or the like for hair loss always seem to have the side effect of losing hair in some people...! I am not looking for an alternative to finasteride, but am interested in anything to work alongside it.

Regards

Michael

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
SuperMeh said:
MisterE I was interested in Flaxseed after reading some of your posts and noticed you also consume this. I found this website (among other similar ones) and if you read the comments at the bottom of the page (100+), overwhelmingly negative reaction in regards to hair, what do you think about this?

Michael

I to would like to hear what MisterE has to say about that.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
On further reading I think a lot of these people are mega-dosing on flaxseed oil, one person there saying they took 8 1000mg tablets.. seems a bit overkill to me and would deffo cause some kind of reaction.

I've also read that the oil doesn't contain the lignans that you get from ground flaxseeds.

"As it turns out, flax seeds contain a particular lignan compound (lignans are absent in flax seed oil by the way) that inhibits the production of an enzyme that converts testosterone into di-hydro testosterone (DHT), the chemical compound that is the leading agent for promoting hair follicle destruction in male pattern baldness."

Still, I don't know what to count as a credible source to say these things actually help.. finasteride is proven to work with people taking it and recording it with images.. I've never seen a diary of someone taking only a natural supplement with good results, so I'm against introducing something into my diet and not knowing exactly what effects it will have. =/ meh

MisterE do you keep a record of your progress?

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
hairrific said:
Interesting. The study show that balding men had higher levels of IGF.

So just so I understand...MILK, whey protein, raises insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) but SOY, SOY specifically SOY PROTEIN raises it much much more, so they are both bad. :( :shock: High levels of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) can aggravate hair loss and cancer etc.

I am assuming and hoping that soy isoflavones supplements are not raising IGF-1 ?

The soy isoflavones don't raise IGF-1 levels only the soy-protein or whey-protein.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
SuperMeh said:

It's really annoying because many alternative supplements or the like for hair loss always seem to have the side effect of losing hair in some people...! I am not looking for an alternative to finasteride, but am interested in anything to work alongside it.

Regards

Michael

This web-site is about flax-seed oil, not flax-seeds. Flax-seed oil is just the oil from the flax-seed; it contains no lignans, which are the beneficial compounds within the seeds, also no fiber. Flax-seed lignans inhibit both aromatase and alpha-5-reductase, lower "free" testosterone and IGF-1 levels, bind the harmful estrogens estrone and estradiol so that they are non-active, they are also strong anti-oxidants. Also flax-seeds (not the oil) shift the estrogen metabolism from the harmful 16-hydroxyestrogen (which gives you inflammation and cancer) to the beneficial 2-hydroxyestrogen (which are anti-oxidants and vasodilators). Now you must remember that flax-seed oil is polyunsaturated oil; mostly omega-3. Polyunsaturated oil goes rancid extremely fast (unlike monounsaturated or saturated) if it is extracted from its natural source. When you buy bottles of polyunsaturated oil from the store, chances are it is rancid or oxidized, when you consume these oxidized or rancid oils, you are putting in loads of free-radicals into your body causing "silent inflammation"; inflammation you cannot feel or sense. This gets your immune system off balance, which can cause hair loss. So get the flax-seeds not the flax-seed-oil.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
SuperMeh said:
On further reading I think a lot of these people are mega-dosing on flaxseed oil, one person there saying they took 8 1000mg tablets.. seems a bit overkill to me and would deffo cause some kind of reaction.

I've also read that the oil doesn't contain the lignans that you get from ground flaxseeds.

"As it turns out, flax seeds contain a particular lignan compound (lignans are absent in flax seed oil by the way) that inhibits the production of an enzyme that converts testosterone into di-hydro testosterone (DHT), the chemical compound that is the leading agent for promoting hair follicle destruction in male pattern baldness."

Still, I don't know what to count as a credible source to say these things actually help.. finasteride is proven to work with people taking it and recording it with images.. I've never seen a diary of someone taking only a natural supplement with good results, so I'm against introducing something into my diet and not knowing exactly what effects it will have. =/ meh

MisterE do you keep a record of your progress?

I keep a record of progress only in my mind. I cannot afford a camera to take pictures, but I can tell my hair has been getting better and better. In my opinion beta-sitosterol is the best hair loss supplement there is, it stopped my hair fall instantly, this is a must for anyone with hair loss problems, along with nizoral of course. Diet is another big factor, in my opinion dairy (excluding organic eggs and some times organic yogurt), soda, candy, sugar and processed foods with trans-fat or "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil" are completely and utterly devastating to the health of your body, mind, and hair. Flax seeds are one of the healthiest things you can eat, it protects your hair through a number of different ways, but nothing compares to beta-sitosterol!

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When will you fools ever learn?

Nobody in the history of the WORLD has EVER reversed or stopped natural male pattern baldness through their diet or through consuming various supplements. The only way it can be done is by chopping off your testicles and becoming a eunuch or taking a 5AR2 inhibitor.

male pattern baldness is not related to health AT ALL! It's a naturally occuring genetic process that only matters to us because we perceive it to have a negative aesthetic impact on our appearance. Some world class athletes are bald. Some obese couch potatoes have full heads of hair. Balding is not indicative of poor health anymore than having red hair is - it's a genetic trait.

The end.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to label anyone a fool..

I don't think you can tackle male pattern baldness using all natural methods or a change of diet, but seeing as the things you eat can effect levels of certain hormones then your diet can effect male pattern baldness in a positive or negative way.

Is this not true? I think it's a subject worth at least discussing. =]

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Research beta-sitosterol it is a powerful alpha-5-reductase inhibitor/aromatase inhibitor, a strong anti-inflammatory, immune system balancer, it blocks the reabsorbtion of bile, and it greatly improves the blood circulation. It is cheap and extremely effective (for me anyway), nothing worked until I tried beta-sitosterol!

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Theres an interesting link here with a double blind trial from 2002.

But this says it inhibits 5ar, just like finasteride, so it's no different really.. is it?

If it is as effective it would have the same results/possible side effects.

Interesting alternative though, I wouldn't move to it seeing as finasteride is working well for me.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Research beta-sitosterol it is a powerful alpha-5-reductase inhibitor/aromatase inhibitor, a strong anti-inflammatory, immune system balancer, it blocks the reabsorbtion of bile, and it greatly improves the blood circulation. It is cheap and extremely effective (for me anyway), nothing worked until I tried beta-sitosterol!

Fair enough.

You know what? I'll give beta-sitosterol a try. Do you have any brands that you recommend?

I'm not against supplements and I would love to see one actually work. But right now there's no evidence that they work at all.

I'm willing to be a guinea pig for some of these things, but I don't think you should go around spreading this stuff as gospel for male pattern baldness.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
SuperMeh said:
Theres an interesting link here with a double blind trial from 2002.

But this says it inhibits 5ar, just like finasteride, so it's no different really.. is it?

If it is as effective it would have the same results/possible side effects.

Interesting alternative though, I wouldn't move to it seeing as finasteride is working well for me.

Beta-sitosterol has anti-estrogenic effects, just like flax seeds. D.H.T. is the main androgen in every tissue except muscle, so that tells me D.H.T. is not the main cause of M.P.B. In my opinion estrogen is the main cause of hair loss in men and not in women. Beta-sitosterol is like propecia in the sense that it inhibits alpha-5-reductase, but beta-sitosterol does so much more.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Thickandthin said:
Ok - where can I get some? What's a good brand? etc

I got mine at a health food store called Sun Harvest. The brand I have is called Source Naturals Mega Strength Beta-Sitosterol. On the back it says it has: Calcium; 60mg (6%D.V.) and Phytosterol complex; 937mg; yielding beta-sitosterol at 375mg, campesterol at 187mg and stigmasterol at 131mg. Please keep us posted on your results.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
What is your regimen and diet like by the way?

Can I jump in on this? My diet is,lack for a better word, sh*t. Last few months I've basically only been eating easy/fast food, I'll rarely have any fruits or veg and there's heaps of sweets involved also my regime is finasteride/nizoral.