IGF-1/Milk/Estrogen

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
In my opinion estrogen is the main cause of hair loss in men and not in women.

Then how do you explain why estrogen stimulates the growth of balding scalp hair follicles in vitro?

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes MisterE how do you explain this photo!

estrogencopy.jpg

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Bryan said:
misterE said:
In my opinion estrogen is the main cause of hair loss in men and not in women.

Then how do you explain why estrogen stimulates the growth of balding scalp hair follicles in vitro?

Well, all hormones work interdependently. In vitro means "within a test-tube" while in vivo means "within the body". Now estrogen supposidly stimulats the growth of balding scalp hair follicles within the test-tube, without all the other hormones playing their parts as well. But what about in vivo? Because that's the one that really matters.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Now estrogen supposidly stimulats the growth of balding scalp hair follicles within the test-tube, without all the other hormones playing their parts as well. But what about in vivo? Because that's the one that really matters.

I previously pointed out that topical estrogens have been used successfully to fight male pattern baldness, especially in Europe. That's definitely in vivo! :)

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
come to think of it, I started balding when I put on 10-20 lbs of unwanted fat :whistle:

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anti-androgens appear to have a stronger hair growing effect than does estrogen alone... :dunno:

http://www.transgendercare.com/medical/ ... gimens.asp

Advantages of Anti-Androgens

When anti-androgens are given, particularly finasteride (Proscar, Propecia) in combination with spironolactone (Aldactone), full feminization is obtained in two to three years for the great majority of individuals. And since we have had a chance to observe many individuals using a range of therapies, and over quite a few years, we have made a few observations along the way.

First, the more masculinized the individual is in the first place, the greater the likelihood of very noticeable feminizination occurring when anti-androgens are used. Scalp hair thickens, often to a great degree even in individuals with severe pattern baldness. Body hair has a greater potential to diminish to a female level. And the body progresses to a much more female shape.

We also see that individuals who do not show as many masculinized traits in the first place also benefit in subtle ways, especially as they age. It appears that individuals who do not take control of testosterone levels and take a incomplete or sporadic approach to their therapies may likely show more coarsening in features as they age.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
wookster said:
Anti-androgens appear to have a stronger hair growing effect than does estrogen alone... :dunno:

http://www.transgendercare.com/medical/ ... gimens.asp

Advantages of Anti-Androgens

When anti-androgens are given, particularly finasteride (Proscar, Propecia) in combination with spironolactone (Aldactone), full feminization is obtained in two to three years for the great majority of individuals. And since we have had a chance to observe many individuals using a range of therapies, and over quite a few years, we have made a few observations along the way.

First, the more masculinized the individual is in the first place, the greater the likelihood of very noticeable feminizination occurring when anti-androgens are used. Scalp hair thickens, often to a great degree even in individuals with severe pattern baldness. Body hair has a greater potential to diminish to a female level. And the body progresses to a much more female shape.

We also see that individuals who do not show as many masculinized traits in the first place also benefit in subtle ways, especially as they age. It appears that individuals who do not take control of testosterone levels and take a incomplete or sporadic approach to their therapies may likely show more coarsening in features as they age.

Good thing I'm not using Spironolactone as well...*hums "Dude looks like a lady" *

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
muhu said:
come to think of it, I started balding when I put on 10-20 lbs of unwanted fat :whistle:

Body fat especially that stubborn "belly fat" creates estrogen. Fat tissue is loaded with aromatase enzymes, which creates more estrogen, which creates more fat, which creates more estrogen, and so on.

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
muhu said:

Body fat especially that stubborn "belly fat" creates estrogen. Fat tissue is loaded with aromatase enzymes, which creates more estrogen, which creates more fat, which creates more estrogen, and so on.

so do you think I might stop losing my hair once I drop the 20 lbs of unwanted fat I have?

docj077

Reaction score
muhu said:
misterE said:
muhu said:

so do you think I might stop losing my hair once I drop the 20 lbs of unwanted fat I have?

Losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle should be important to you, but be realistic about your hair lregrowth goals while cutting weight. Go online, find before and after weightloss pictures, so you'll be informed about the possibilities. There are quite a few off them out there.

Find pictures, not testimonials.

muhu

Established Member
Reaction score
I just watched the soccer game between spain and USA. Only the USA goalie was bald.

These guys have very little bodyfat and produce lots of testosterone. They also had beautiful heads of hair.

Nashville Hairline

Experienced Member
Reaction score
baller234 said:
Wayne Rooney to name one.
Reina, Lombardo, Cambiasso, Zidane to name four

I think there's just less of them cos most pro footballers are under 30, when male pattern baldness isn't as prevalent.

spinner2

Established Member
Reaction score
I watch soccer all the time. Lots of the players have hair loss.

The reason lots of the USA players have great hair is just the young age. However Donovan has been receding for years. Also, Michael Bradley looks like he might be starting to lose some hair.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As everyone has said, they aren't balding because they are young. Some of them might be NW2 though.

I could walk around my college campus of 30,000 people and see probably 5% NW4+, 10% NW3, 15% NW2 and the rest are solid NW1.

Check back with these football players in 15 years and see if they are still NW1.