I Am Actually Regrowing My Hair + Hairline Without Min Or finasteride (mechanical Stimulation)

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
More intensive derma rolling yielded greater results (1.5mm) September 20th
renderTimingPixel.png

Currently I've been testing more intensive derma rolling in the slick bald areas of my scalp to see the effects of regrowth. This is comes after the realization that my right temple which has always been my worse one is currently less receded than the left. I believe a lot of this could come down to the fact I repeatedly rolled it and was much more thorough. For the test I repeatedly rolled my temple 70-80 times, you can tell the area I rolled by the redness in the last two pics. surprisingly there wasn't much blood although I was wiping it as I rolled. The truly surprising part is actually growing an abundance of thin long blonde hairs in the slick bald areas of my scalp away from the areas directly adjacent my hairline. I had previously grown hairs like this from derma rolling in the past but not to this degree or that far away from my hairline. Typically with a standard 1.5mm rolling session scalp redness is gone following the shower and it's mostly healed within 3-4 days and completely healed within 7-8. With these more intensive rolls my scalp was red and sore into the next day and still isn't completely healed within 8-9 days. https://imgur.com/a/3EH4RZZ

This will also be my last update before jumping on Finasteride,
I've seen good results from an all natural approach so far and I'll definitely be sticking to the rest of my regime in conjunction with finasteride. I've seen good regrowth within my time frame with the most part of it being in only 3 months but this is still a long time and I'm coming back from being a NW4, at my current rate it will take years to regrow my hair and I understand as I get older my balding rate will only accelerate. I need all the help I can get as I'm wasting my youth and the sooner a full recovery the better.

I've also been growing even more body hair despite basically being a gorilla on the parts of my body with hair. I have a thick patch of long blonde hairs on my shoulder with some having pigmentation that looked exactly like my regrowth area, there are already a few big dark terminal hairs that look like pubes on my shoulder that I consistently pluck but I'd never have the time to pluck this many. Funnily it was actually this that made me instantly pull the trigger on finasteride as opposed to hairloss. Hair on the front is okay but as soon as it goes onto the shoulders and down the back it's a no from me.

I'm extremely close to having a satisfactory head of hair, it's thick enough to cover all my scalp and the fringe is thick enough to not show my shitty hairline in most conditions. If my hair got slightly thicker even retaining what I've regrown would be enough for me but I'm expecting to regrow much more. All of those little blonde hairs I've grown out on my hairline using my current regime will quite likely go terminal jumping over to finasteride I feel.

I won't be using minoxidil since it's overly priced and not that effective, it also comes with numerous other issues.

Based on my research finasteride isn't all that harmful and the side effects are fairly minimal compared to other drugs for various conditions unrelated to hairloss, basically every single drug I looked at had some form of side effect that was usually more of a problem than any potential ones from finasteride. A majority of the side effects experienced on finasteride have also been found to be placebo. There is no alternative to using finasteride and the reason is that the side effects from finasteride don't come directly from finasteride itself, it comes from inhibiting the production of DHT so any natural oral alternative will have the same side effects experienced as finasteride if any. The only reason people experience less or no sides with oral alternatives is that it's just simply less effective at inhibiting DHT so the side effects are less likely.

There are 3 main ways you can get around using finasteride if it's not for you though.
  1. Increase blood flow to the follicles to promote hair growth that outpaces your balding rate
  2. Decrease chronic scalp tension to reduce DHT's inflammatory response which leads to balding
  3. Use various topicals that have been shown to decrease scalp DHT (essential oils, formulated shampoos and Morr-F)
There are various ways you can tackle these things but it's a bigger topic and I don't feel like expanding on it right now, these options are obviously less effective than finasteride but shows there are at least other ways to combat DHT aside from oral finasteride.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Likely one of the best threads here.
Great documentation. Thank you!

Just started Dermarolling again few weeks ago. :)

Fekief

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just consistently massage it with two hands forcefully until it loosens up, once it's a bit looser you can just use two fingers to pinch it. There aren't any scalp exercises specifically for the temples because the muscles are at the back of the head, you can only use scalp exercises to work on the head as a whole. If you want regrowth on your temples I'd definitely consider derma rolling and massaging the temples, I've found good regrowth from these methods.

I use dermaroller since may but recently i can feel that my right temple hurts even when i try to massage it or simply touch with little pressure

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
This guy may singlehandedly change a lot of people’s regimen.

Edit: I wouldn’t worry about sides, I haven’t had any. And there was only a slight difference in percentage of guys having sides from finasteride and the placebo from what I remember. Sexual sides are also very commonly psychological. Not saying they don’t happen, but I believe a lot of it is a mental thing. Many people who report sides were worried about sides going in.

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was Norwood 4 and went to_beginning regrowth hair at 4 months, substantial restoration at 6 months full head of hair at 10-11 months. Long and curly at that time. I did not find this forum until then. I was on Finasteride. 1½ year in I finally had courage to have hair cut a month ago. Wavy short and full. I had to trade Finasteride in on Dutasteride due to mental sides. Hair fine, no sexual dysfunction any longer. Diminished and diminishing? Mental side effects, except when taking periodic spinal steroid injections for pain for displaced vertibrae. Reduction in mental side effects as steroid gets out of system in week or two. Could be DHT blocker and Steroid mental side effects compound. Also read steroids are supposed to mellow side effects of DHT blockers. Seems like the gynecomastia is reduced with both. Could be overcoming side effects. Norwood 5 or higher recommended Rogaine and antiinflamatory- Ketoconazol Shampoo added to regimen. Scalp massage to aid circulation to any hair regimen.

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was Norwood 4 and went to_beginning regrowth hair at 4 months, substantial restoration at 6 months full head of hair at 10-11 months. Long and curly at that time. I did not find this forum until then. I was on Finasteride. 1½ year in I finally had courage to have hair cut a month ago. Wavy short and full. I had to trade Finasteride in on Dutasteride due to mental sides. Hair fine, no sexual dysfunction any longer. Diminished and diminishing? Mental side effects, except when taking periodic spinal steroid injections for pain for displaced vertibrae. Reduction in mental side effects as steroid gets out of system in week or two. Could be DHT blocker and Steroid mental side effects compound. Also read steroids are supposed to mellow side effects of DHT blockers. Seems like the gynecomastia is reduced with both. Could be overcoming side effects. Norwood 5 or higher recommended Rogaine and antiinflamatory- Ketoconazol Shampoo added to regimen. Scalp massage to aid circulation to any hair regimen.
I was candidate for early hair loss due to genetics early on, but did not lose hair until began antidepressant 2 years ago at age 57. 1½ year ago began Finasteride and full hair back after a year. (Regrowth beginning at 4-6 months, or maybe less)

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just consistently massage it with two hands forcefully until it loosens up, once it's a bit looser you can just use two fingers to pinch it. There aren't any scalp exercises specifically for the temples because the muscles are at the back of the head, you can only use scalp exercises to work on the head as a whole. If you want regrowth on your temples I'd definitely consider derma rolling and massaging the temples, I've found good regrowth from these methods.
When I was a professional massage therapist and did all manners of massage including scalp massage for follically challenged returning clients. Regrowth began at 5-6 months to a year. This was before Finasteride was available for hair regrowth. Rogaine available then--not sure. Began with gentle Swedish kneading leading into deeper persistent kneading then alternating fingertip percussion massage with ACCUPRESSURE MASSAGE. ½-¾ hour. Client left with tingling scalp. Client did self scalp massage daily or every other day when not in massage studio.

Last edited:

Fekief

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was a professional massage therapist and did all manners of massage including scalp massage for follically challenged returning clients. Regrowth began at 5-6 months to a year. This was before Finasteride was available for hair regrowth. Rogaine available then--not sure. Began with gentle Swedish kneading leading into deeper persistent kneading then alternating fingertip percussion massage with ACCUPRESSURE MASSAGE. ½-¾ hour. Client left with tingling scalp. Client did self scalp massage daily or every other day when not in massage studio.
Have you any video od this techniques?

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you any video od this techniques?
No, It is a good idea. This was during early 80s. It was busy business within my gym, I was also the head weight trainer. We did chart progress on the weight lifters. Used charting and measurements for a couple of the hair loss guys. But a few were self conscious. But hair gains were made as noted by my staff and I and the clients. Our sports injury massage brought new circulation to damaged tissue. Encouraged quicker cellular/muscle growth and healing. This heightened metabolism and is passive exercise. Stands to reason increased circulation brought to scalp and follicles could and did help with hair regrowth in some cases. I don't remember if I knew if they were taking hair formula concoctions along with the scalp massage treatments. Possible some might have been.

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, It is a good idea. This was during early 80s. It was busy business within my gym, I was also the head weight trainer. We did chart progress on the weight lifters. Used charting and measurements for a couple of the hair loss guys. But a few were self conscious. But hair gains were made as noted by my staff and I and the clients. Our sports injury massage brought new circulation to damaged tissue. Encouraged quicker cellular/muscle growth and healing. This heightened metabolism and is passive exercise. Stands to reason increased circulation brought to scalp and follicles could and did help with hair regrowth in some cases. I don't remember if I knew if they were taking hair formula concoctions along with the scalp massage treatments. Possible some might have been.
Swedish massage is a gentle to firm kneading. Light percussion massage is a light to persistent finger tip tapping. ACCUPRESSURE MASSAGE is a more pointed deeper pushing with slight deviated side movements all with finger tip pressure. These techniques of course vary for other body regions in that the pressure and movement radius can vary.

Last edited:

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
4 days into finasteride and my hairline is seriously starting to fill in, this isn't enough time for finasteride to take effect really so it's likely a direct result of that more intensive derma rolling experiment I did.

Attachments

• 20180924_135244.jpg
    20180924_135244.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,072

Curlmax

My Regimen
Reaction score
4 days into finasteride and my hairline is seriously starting to fill in, this isn't enough time for finasteride to take effect really so it's likely a direct result of that more intensive derma rolling experiment I did.
Great, glad progress is happening after all your diligent effort. Finasteride will likely help soon.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I have very similar hairs on my temples... they keep getting longer but I’m having a hard time getting them to have color.

Goodluck on propecia man, I hope you keep regrowing and don’t lose a single more hair

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have very similar hairs on my temples... they keep getting longer but I’m having a hard time getting them to have color.

Goodluck on propecia man, I hope you keep regrowing and don’t lose a single more hair
I've had a few turn into small pigmented terminal hairs in the past that slowly increased in size with periodic sheds, this current batch of thin blonde hair is a bit different though, I noticed in some light it actually has a colour tinge. It's like a dirty blonde/ginger colour, I didn't mention it in my last post since I was waiting to see if this effect would increase.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably too soon to post an update so here's a mini update 2 weeks into finasteride, my hairline is filling in with an abundance of longer and thicker terminal hairs but I can't tell if it's just my hairline recovering since I had a shed a few days into finasteride where my crown and hairline took a hit. It's hard to tell if finasteride caused the shed since that period of time for a shed is unusual, more likely it could've been a result of recently having the flu before starting finasteride and there was an 8 day period where I was really inconsistent with my regime due to being so sick.

Attachments

• 20181005_005727.jpg
    20181005_005727.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 824

Nimatus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

4 days in ? What have you magic hair. Takes 3-4 months for hair to go into that growing stage.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
4 days in ? What have you magic hair. Takes 3-4 months for hair to go into that growing stage.
If you actually look at the updates you will see I was actually regrowing my hair before jumping on finasteride and there was already a good amount of regrowth on the temples. I literally state that this isn't enough time for finasteride to have any sort of effect and it was likely a direct result of my more intensive derma rolling sessions I did some time ago.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You still doing 1.5mm weekly? Enough pressure to draw blood?

I’ve been doing low pressure daily before minoxidil but I can’t help but feel like I had better results with actual weekly wounding. Which do you think is better ?

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You still doing 1.5mm weekly? Enough pressure to draw blood?

I’ve been doing low pressure daily before minoxidil but I can’t help but feel like I had better results with actual weekly wounding. Which do you think is better ?
I was, the last time I intensely rolled was on the 28th of September with the 1.5mm which makes now possibly the longest time I've gone without rolling. I don't think I should roll anymore until I'm able to correctly clean it as dried blood has gotten stuck between the cracks of the roller. I did however roll with the 0.5mm today though. I've currently ordered a 2mm derma stamp and it should be here within a week or so, I'm planning to go much more intense and deeper than I normally do and figured a stamp was a safer way to do so. I'm testing to see if going even more intense will yield better results. I'm under the impression of yes it will.

I'd probably go with weekly/fortnightly wounding with deeper needles like 1.5mm or up since that's what a lot of the studies use but there isn't really enough information to say if more consistent lighter rolls are better or not. I also didn't really see any results when I was using a 0.5mm every 2-3 days but when I stepped up to a 1.5mm I saw a visible result within 1-2 weeks.