I Am Actually Regrowing My Hair + Hairline Without Min Or finasteride (mechanical Stimulation)

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello
i wonder, if u still doing scalp massaging everyday?
I try to aim for a minimum of 5 minutes a day but I've been incredibly inconsistent lately, I still do scalp massages daily when I find the time/will.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
u were doing it about just 5 min everyday for this 4-5 month?
More initially, I used scalp pliability and the crunching sounds within the scalp as an objective measure. I only went down to 5 to save time and aim for the same result.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
3 weeks finasteride - symptoms so far, drastically increased sex drive and saddening amount of shedding

Currently on my 3rd week of finasteride, realistically not enough time to draw any conclusions but here is my experience so far. Currently I'm experiencing a considerable amount of shedding which is very heartbreaking for me since before finasteride my hair was almost at a point where I could hide it completely and be happy while the rest regrows. Upon starting finasteride during the first week I had a shed and my temples and crown took a hit, I thought it was fine as I still had very good density everywhere else and no one would likely notice. I tried to keep positive though and convinced myself I was exaggerating until the point where I had my first comment since the start of the year about if I'm balding. My cousin said "Oh man, are you balding? You're gonna end up like your Dad" as he motioned his hand on his crown. It took him awhile to notice and it wasn't until I bent down to get something out of the fridge that he commented on it which infers that it was only really noticeable on the crown and that I could adequately hide my NW4 hairline so I was mostly fine with it albeit a little shook. This was until it continued to shed and my hairline took quite a decent hit, especially on the temple I had regrowth on, this took it from a straight line down to continuing to recede back into my scalp once again. This looked incredibly bad for the side I didn't part my hair on so I fixed this by parting my hair on the opposite side once again and getting a trim, it looked pretty good after this but the shedding has continued and it looks pretty bad once again. There are many visible gaps in my fringe and you can easily see my scalp through my hair even with clean hair once again. It's honestly a massive stab in the heart since I spent half this year growing what I had and it honestly makes my cry, I've been balding since 12 and I'm 21 now and I've had so much of my youth simply stripped away from me by balding at such a young age. I can't take much more of waiting around for my hair to grow as I want to actually start living my life, you're probably thinking having hair or not doesn't mean you can't live your life but it's different for me as a young and upcoming artist, you have no idea how much your physical appearances matter, it's honestly so depressing. My goal is only to reach NW3 with good density, I actually almost cracked earlier due to this finasteride shed and started considering a hair transplant but the only way that would be an option is if I win the lottery.

My main question here is if anybody else has experienced a finasteride shed like this, my doctor told me that I will very likely shed after taking finasteride and not to be alarmed as it's only the new hairs pushing through. Based on threads I've found most people experience this around the 2-3 month mark and with some having multiple later on. This makes me assume that my shedding could potentially be abnormal especially with the increased sex drive and sebum production. Currently I'm constantly horny which is a distraction when I'm doing other tasks and my hormones were actually so high I did it twice in a row which seems crazy to me. I found a thread with people who had similar experiences to this with a dramatically increased sex drive and they were told by their doctor it's a rebound effect where the body produces more DHT due to there being a lack of it although this returns to normal/lower permanently within a couple of weeks. I also had dramatically increased sebum production during the first week and my forehead was crazily greasy, I was laying in bed rubbing my forehead then used my nails to scrape it off, my hand felt like it was completely covered which seemed unusual so I turned my phone flashlight on and I could actually see the oil on my hands as a liquid, it had a slight yellowish tinge to it. I've never experienced anything like that before and I haven't been able to find any info about it online. Then there is of course the shedding. Also during the first week my scalp was far softer and flexible on finasteride which made me think it was working very well although my scalp returned to a harder state now.

Upon Googling all my current symptoms point to the possibility of reflex hyperandrogenicity which is something people appear to debate the existence of. Personally it makes a lot of sense to me that it exists and there are studies that point to the possibility of androgen receptors being upregulated by finasteride. If this was the case for me I'd have to be incredibly unlucky since the chances of this are likely less than 1% in the majority of people. In my mind I figured if this was the case for me I'd just simply jump on dutasteride or go to a full tranny regime but I actually found a thread of someone who had the issue of reflex hyperandrogenicity and there isn't really an end as the body will always compensate for the lack of DHT or hormones in that individual.
Most likely I'm just overthinking things and I'll probably find I'll have some good regrowth in the future, this shedding is really sucky. Finasteride has positive effects on hair in the vast majority of people (80%) and side effects that aren't just placebo are relatively rare.

Symptoms/aspects I was measuring -

Body and Facial hair growth
Unchanged (I shaved my facial and body hair before starting finasteride to test if it would slow down the growth of it.)
Brain Fog
Not evident
Sebum production
Dramatically increased during the first week, although reduced after, currently hair is greasier than pre-finasteride which is about how it was before starting any hairloss treatment.
Shedding
Increased dramatically. Before finasteride I could run my hands through my hair and expect to lose maybe 5 hairs at most, this has now gone up towards the hundreds. The large majority of these are healthy thick long hairs too, not partly miniaturized ones like before.
Scalp Flexibility
During the first week the condition of my scalp was far softer and flexible, it has since returned to a harder state.
Sexual Function
Initially decreased with the first few days of taking finasteride, I had no sex drive and simply got bored. I was initially under the impression this was psychological since I was testing function on a purely scientific basis and it returned to normal in the next 1-2 days. It later ramped up dramatically.
Ejaculatory Volume
Normal although it appeared to be slightly decreased during the first week.
Erection Size
Unchanged
Testicular Size
Appears to be slightly smaller but I have no exact measurement so I will assume I am overthinking this aspect.
Vellus Hairs (long thin blonde hairs, on hairline)​
These seem to have avoided any of the shedding and appear to be abundant as ever.
Hair Growth Rate
Appeared to be growing faster initially, during the first week or two it was like it was growing by the day but I'm not noticing that so much now.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
3 weeks finasteride - symptoms so far, drastically increased sex drive and saddening amount of shedding

Currently on my 3rd week of finasteride, realistically not enough time to draw any conclusions but here is my experience so far. Currently I'm experiencing a considerable amount of shedding which is very heartbreaking for me since before finasteride my hair was almost at a point where I could hide it completely and be happy while the rest regrows. Upon starting finasteride during the first week I had a shed and my temples and crown took a hit, I thought it was fine as I still had very good density everywhere else and no one would likely notice. I tried to keep positive though and convinced myself I was exaggerating until the point where I had my first comment since the start of the year about if I'm balding. My cousin said "Oh man, are you balding? You're gonna end up like your Dad" as he motioned his hand on his crown. It took him awhile to notice and it wasn't until I bent down to get something out of the fridge that he commented on it which infers that it was only really noticeable on the crown and that I could adequately hide my NW4 hairline so I was mostly fine with it albeit a little shook. This was until it continued to shed and my hairline took quite a decent hit, especially on the temple I had regrowth on, this took it from a straight line down to continuing to recede back into my scalp once again. This looked incredibly bad for the side I didn't part my hair on so I fixed this by parting my hair on the opposite side once again and getting a trim, it looked pretty good after this but the shedding has continued and it looks pretty bad once again. There are many visible gaps in my fringe and you can easily see my scalp through my hair even with clean hair once again. It's honestly a massive stab in the heart since I spent half this year growing what I had and it honestly makes my cry, I've been balding since 12 and I'm 21 now and I've had so much of my youth simply stripped away from me by balding at such a young age. I can't take much more of waiting around for my hair to grow as I want to actually start living my life, you're probably thinking having hair or not doesn't mean you can't live your life but it's different for me as a young and upcoming artist, you have no idea how much your physical appearances matter, it's honestly so depressing. My goal is only to reach NW3 with good density, I actually almost cracked earlier due to this finasteride shed and started considering a hair transplant but the only way that would be an option is if I win the lottery.

My main question here is if anybody else has experienced a finasteride shed like this, my doctor told me that I will very likely shed after taking finasteride and not to be alarmed as it's only the new hairs pushing through. Based on threads I've found most people experience this around the 2-3 month mark and with some having multiple later on. This makes me assume that my shedding could potentially be abnormal especially with the increased sex drive and sebum production. Currently I'm constantly horny which is a distraction when I'm doing other tasks and my hormones were actually so high I did it twice in a row which seems crazy to me. I found a thread with people who had similar experiences to this with a dramatically increased sex drive and they were told by their doctor it's a rebound effect where the body produces more DHT due to there being a lack of it although this returns to normal/lower permanently within a couple of weeks. I also had dramatically increased sebum production during the first week and my forehead was crazily greasy, I was laying in bed rubbing my forehead then used my nails to scrape it off, my hand felt like it was completely covered which seemed unusual so I turned my phone flashlight on and I could actually see the oil on my hands as a liquid, it had a slight yellowish tinge to it. I've never experienced anything like that before and I haven't been able to find any info about it online. Then there is of course the shedding. Also during the first week my scalp was far softer and flexible on finasteride which made me think it was working very well although my scalp returned to a harder state now.

Upon Googling all my current symptoms point to the possibility of reflex hyperandrogenicity which is something people appear to debate the existence of. Personally it makes a lot of sense to me that it exists and there are studies that point to the possibility of androgen receptors being upregulated by finasteride. If this was the case for me I'd have to be incredibly unlucky since the chances of this are likely less than 1% in the majority of people. In my mind I figured if this was the case for me I'd just simply jump on dutasteride or go to a full tranny regime but I actually found a thread of someone who had the issue of reflex hyperandrogenicity and there isn't really an end as the body will always compensate for the lack of DHT or hormones in that individual.
Most likely I'm just overthinking things and I'll probably find I'll have some good regrowth in the future, this shedding is really sucky. Finasteride has positive effects on hair in the vast majority of people (80%) and side effects that aren't just placebo are relatively rare.

Unchanged (I shaved my facial and body hair before starting finasteride to test if it would slow down the growth of it.)
Brain Fog
Not evident
Sebum production
Dramatically increased during the first week, although reduced after, currently hair is greasier than pre-finasteride which is about how it was before starting any hairloss treatment.
Shedding
Increased dramatically. Before finasteride I could run my hands through my hair and expect to lose maybe 5 hairs at most, this has now gone up towards the hundreds. The large majority of these are healthy thick long hairs too, not partly miniaturized ones like before.
Scalp Flexibility
During the first week the condition of my scalp was far softer and flexible, it has since returned to a harder state.
Sexual Function
Initially decreased with the first few days of taking finasteride, I had no sex drive and simply got bored. I was initially under the impression this was psychological since I was testing function on a purely scientific basis and it returned to normal in the next 1-2 days. It later ramped up dramatically.
Ejaculatory Volume
Erection Size
Unchanged
Testicular Size
Appears to be slightly smaller but I have no exact measurement so I will assume I am overthinking this aspect.
These seem to have avoided any of the shedding and appear to be abundant as ever.
Hair Growth Rate
Appeared to be growing faster initially, during the first week or two it was like it was growing by the day but I'm not noticing that so much now.

You’re reading too much into this like I did. Check my freaking out thread

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/propecia-worsening-shed-in-first-week-bad-sign.114528/

Right now my hair is significantly above baseline.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re reading too much into this like I did. Check my freaking out thread

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/propecia-worsening-shed-in-first-week-bad-sign.114528/

Right now my hair is significantly above baseline.
Yeah I definitely think I'm overthinking things and I'm still optimistic about finasteride and confident my regime will give me good regrowth but man this shedding is such a kick in the balls, it's so heart breaking seeing all my hard earned regrowth go down the drain. I was lowkey hoping that I'd be some amazing responder that had minimal shedding and the beginning of regrowth within a few weeks but that was just overly hopeful haha, My only real regret is not starting to finasteride sooner to get this phase over with. Here's a picture of the hairs that came out after running my hands through my hair a few times, this is only one instance and then I continue to shed even more in the shower. It's honestly ridiculous.

On a side note how long did it take you to see regrowth? My current subscription is for 6 months so I will continue finasteride during this period, if it's not too much better then I'll be jumping on dutasteride, the sexual side effects don't bother me as long as I have no brain fog. Only reason I'm on finasteride right now is because it's over half the price.

Attachments

• 20181006_172016.jpg
    20181006_172016.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 723

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I definitely think I'm overthinking things and I'm still optimistic about finasteride and confident my regime will give me good regrowth but man this shedding is such a kick in the balls, it's so heart breaking seeing all my hard earned regrowth go down the drain. I was lowkey hoping that I'd be some amazing responder that had minimal shedding and the beginning of regrowth within a few weeks but that was just overly hopeful haha, My only real regret is not starting to finasteride sooner to get this phase over with. Here's a picture of the hairs that came out after running my hands through my hair a few times, this is only one instance and then I continue to shed even more in the shower. It's honestly ridiculous.

On a side note how long did it take you to see regrowth? My current subscription is for 6 months so I will continue finasteride during this period, if it's not too much better then I'll be jumping on dutasteride, the sexual side effects don't bother me as long as I have no brain fog. Only reason I'm on finasteride right now is because it's over half the price.

Hard to answer man, when I continued I zero gaurd buzzed my head so I couldn’t see any shedding

Grew back at 2 month and was initially slightly thinner and then became thicker

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score

Brain Fog
Not evident
Sebum production
Shedding
Scalp Flexibility
Sexual Function
Ejaculatory Volume
Erection Size
Unchanged
Testicular Size
Hair Growth Rate
I’ll be honest, I’ve been concerned with RH since starting finasteride over 4 months ago. Since then my hair has dramatically declined. Although, within the past few weeks I believe my shedding has decreased. I went from losing 60+ hairs in the shower (I have a hair catcher so I get an accurate count) to 20-30 consistently. This gives me hope because people say that the drug doesn’t start working for a few months anyway, which means decreased shedding in my opinion.

I wish I paid attention to my shedding before finasteride but I got on as soon as I knew I was balding, but I do believe my hair loss has accelerated in the past few months.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I’ve been concerned with RH since starting finasteride over 4 months ago. Since then my hair has dramatically declined. Although, within the past few weeks I believe my shedding has decreased. I went from losing 60+ hairs in the shower (I have a hair catcher so I get an accurate count) to 20-30 consistently. This gives me hope because people say that the drug doesn’t start working for a few months anyway, which means decreased shedding in my opinion.

I wish I paid attention to my shedding before finasteride but I got on as soon as I knew I was balding, but I do believe my hair loss has accelerated in the past few months.
I'm definitely shedding far more now that I've started finasteride and it shows in pictures, before finasteride I was barely shedding at all and would rarely lose much hair at all and a lot of those were just smaller and weaker hairs but now on finasteride I'm constantly losing hairs everytime I run my hands through my hair and a lot of the hairs are the longer and healthier ones too. I really wasn't expected to shed this much or this early in. On the plus side it could be indicative I'll be a good responder.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm definitely shedding far more now that I've started finasteride and it shows in pictures, before finasteride I was barely shedding at all and would rarely lose much hair at all and a lot of those were just smaller and weaker hairs but now on finasteride I'm constantly losing hairs everytime I run my hands through my hair and a lot of the hairs are the longer and healthier ones too. I really wasn't expected to shed this much or this early in. On the plus side it could be indicative I'll be a good responder.
Yeah dude. You’re VERY early in. Also you had great results with only physical stimulation (obviously extremely rare). I’m sure finasteride will work great for you.

m97

My Regimen
Reaction score
just don't give up, continue treatment with scalp massaging, because your result with only mechanical stimulating is awesome and honestly, you gave me a hope :D, so i am waiting your updates...

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
just don't give up, continue treatment with scalp massaging, because your result with only mechanical stimulating is awesome and honestly, you gave me a hope :D, so i am waiting your updates...
Thanks and I will be definitely continuing my regime, I also think I might have been overreacting a little, I definitely shed a good amount on finasteride but. finasteride initially increased sebum production and made my hair greasier which I think made the loss look far worse than it is. I recently applied vegetable oil to my hair which is a combination of sunflower/canola oil which both contain linoleic acid and has anti-androgenic properties. What I've noticed now is that my hair has completely stopped being greasy and looks decent enough. I have also only shed a small amount of hairs over the last 2 days which is awesome since I was losing hundreds a day beforehand. I'm hoping this marks the end of the shedding phase because that was absolutely horrifying.

m97

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks and I will be definitely continuing my regime, I also think I might have been overreacting a little, I definitely shed a good amount on finasteride but. finasteride initially increased sebum production and made my hair greasier which I think made the loss look far worse than it is. I recently applied vegetable oil to my hair which is a combination of sunflower/canola oil which both contain linoleic acid and has anti-androgenic properties. What I've noticed now is that my hair has completely stopped being greasy and looks decent enough. I have also only shed a small amount of hairs over the last 2 days which is awesome since I was losing hundreds a day beforehand. I'm hoping this marks the end of the shedding phase because that was absolutely horrifying.
it's normal i guess, because after finasteride blocks DHT, hormones try to produce more DHT for start before u will get used to finasteride, just don't stop scalp massaging, because i believe it really helps, after i read articles about it by Rob from PerfectHairHealth
Maybe one day i will start finasteride too, but honestly for first i want to try natural things like scalp massaging and vitamins...

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Read about jojoba oil, a liquid wax.... it can be useful for hair
I've looked into jojoba oil and it's too expensive for what it is for me to buy, I've been looking at cheaper oils with linoleic acid instead. My Lipogaine shampoo does have it as an active ingredient though.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't had my shower today yet but it appears the shedding has stopped and my scalp has gone back to that incredibly soft state from when I first started finasteride, I managed to get my scalp fairly loose from just scalp massages and people thought it was crazy loose before. But now it's far looser and pliable, I can literally morph the entirety of my scalp with light massages now. It sort of reminds me of when I was lightly pinching the skin on my dogs neck, it's just so easily moved and flexible. It's actually so loose that it makes scalp massages more difficult as it feels like I'm not doing much.

Attachments

• 20181013_001756.jpg
    20181013_001756.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 766
  • 20181013_001504.jpg
    20181013_001504.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 667

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Additionally the vellus hairs on my temples seem to be growing longer than ever, sadly a bunch of the terminal ones I grew from mechanical stimulation shed when I jumped on finasteride but I'm hoping they regrow soon. Hoping I can be blessed with a new hairline if this keeps up.

Attachments

• 20181011_230500.jpg
    20181011_230500.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,003
  • 20181011_230452.jpg
    20181011_230452.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,937

skinnywolfboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man first of all thanks for making this thread you're an inspiration, I've been doing some of these detumescence massages on my scalp (I'm a diffuse thinner), and within a few days my dandruff and itching dramatically decreased. I also noticed right at the apex of the crown of my head (where the hairloss is the worst) the skin used to feel cold and clammy to the touch until I started doing these massages then it would retain a nice warm feeling for the rest of the day. I've read a lot of threads where people complain about having to do them everyday, but to be honest it's not so bad just pull up a YouTube video you'd like to see and get to massaging.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man first of all thanks for making this thread you're an inspiration, I've been doing some of these detumescence massages on my scalp (I'm a diffuse thinner), and within a few days my dandruff and itching dramatically decreased. I also noticed right at the apex of the crown of my head (where the hairloss is the worst) the skin used to feel cold and clammy to the touch until I started doing these massages then it would retain a nice warm feeling for the rest of the day. I've read a lot of threads where people complain about having to do them everyday, but to be honest it's not so bad just pull up a YouTube video you'd like to see and get to massaging.
Thanks and that's great to hear, that's one of the primary reasons I kept at doing the massages despite being originally skeptical of the regrowth properties. The fact that it was actually able to completely eliminate the scalp itch and dandruff despite nizoral and zinc pyrithione not being able to (although they both still helped) was reason enough to continue using it alone. It also made my scalp get greasy far slower along with some other things that were nice. I definitely know what you mean with the warm to the touch sensation, I imagine it's from increased bloodflow to the area and I'm guessing an indication you're doing the massages correctly. It does get annoying having to do it everyday but as you said it's not that bad if you can pull up a Youtube video, watch tv or shower whilst you do it.