I Am Actually Regrowing My Hair + Hairline Without Min Or finasteride (mechanical Stimulation)

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I don't really think I'm seeing a result with finasteride despite still regrowing hair. Regrowth and shedding seem about the same as pre-finasteride, my body hair is continuing to thicken and develop with a nasty batch forming on my shoulders and I have zero side effects. The majority of my regrowth still appears to be from mechanical stimulation/microneedling. Finasteride should still theoretically help me maintain my gains although I'm aiming for major regrowth over maintenance and I think finasteride is only marginally increasing my gains. I'm considering jumping on dutasteride for actual regrowth although I'm unable to afford jumping on dutasteride daily so I'm considering adding 0.5mg of Avodart once a week for regrowth. I'm basing this adapted regime on this study here. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9c8f/fdaf449571b3b1939063e6bab458b10c1813.pdf
I don't know how I'll go getting a dutasteride prescription in Australia but I'll try to book an appointment in the next week.

ihatebackstabbers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I don't really think I'm seeing a result with finasteride despite still regrowing hair. Regrowth and shedding seem about the same as pre-finasteride, my body hair is continuing to thicken and develop with a nasty batch forming on my shoulders and I have zero side effects. The majority of my regrowth still appears to be from mechanical stimulation/microneedling. Finasteride should still theoretically help me maintain my gains although I'm aiming for major regrowth over maintenance and I think finasteride is only marginally increasing my gains. I'm considering jumping on dutasteride for actual regrowth although I'm unable to afford jumping on dutasteride daily so I'm considering adding 0.5mg of Avodart once a week for regrowth. I'm basing this adapted regime on this study here. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9c8f/fdaf449571b3b1939063e6bab458b10c1813.pdf
I don't know how I'll go getting a dutasteride prescription in Australia but I'll try to book an appointment in the next week.
The results from that study are insane. I've come across people mentioning that they are on that regimen on this site but don't recall anyone saying they are getting that type of growth. Some very interesting points made in the study.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The results from that study are insane. I've come across people mentioning that they are on that regimen on this site but don't recall anyone saying they are getting that type of growth. Some very interesting points made in the study.
The results are pretty impressive, I've actually been to the hospital for this study in person so it all seems legitimate. The increased results are likely from the additional inhibition of Type I 5a and with the addition of dutasteride it's unlikely finasteride would still be doing a great deal, Dutasteride has a pretty long half life so I could probably get away with it twice weekly and stop finasteride to cut down on costs but I think I'll play it safe for now and do it once weekly alongside finasteride. Hopefully I can get some crazy regrowth and push my hairline deep into the bald zone.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unsure if I'm getting a bit ridiculous with thinking about jumping on dutasteride considering I'm seeing results. It'd be amazing for even better results but it's hard to say how much of an increase dutasteride would have. Studies show the regrowth from dutasteride is around 50% more on average than finasteride but that doesn't exactly mean it will be that case with me. Quartered finasteride is so cheap and easy to take which is great for my regime in the long run but the allure of potential increased regrowth is strong. I'm mainly just worried about going through another initial shedding period because the finasteride shed was depressing and I don't think I could be prepared for another. If I had the extra cash to spare I think I'd definitely go on dutasteride. Taking dutasteride once a week alongside finasteride to cut down on costs just sort of makes finasteride redundant.

On the bright side more intensive dermapen sessions might actually be working well, it's too early to tell but in the last couple of weeks I think I've seen a considerable amount more of regrowth than normal. The pics of my hairline are from today and that's with greasy hair so you can probably judge for yourself. I did my most intense session yet 4 days ago going over the entirety of my head at 2.75mm along with a few passes of 1.5mm in various speeds. Just for these tests I didn't care about microtearing and just went at it with wounding my scalp, I needled my temples many times over. The dermapen is cheap Chinese crap so I doubt it actually hit 2.75mm but there was a decent amount of blood. I do have pics though since people seem to be interested in that sort of thing. I should be able to tell if that session gave any appreciable results in a week or less.

Attachments

• 20190109_105513.jpg
    20190109_105513.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 20190109_105459.jpg
    20190109_105459.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 20190109_102051.jpg
    20190109_102051.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 509

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems like jumping up to dutasteride wouldn't have any expected benefits for hair but it does hold some potential. It doesn't make sense that inhbiting DHT would regrow hair despite some people regrowing loads of hair on 5AR inhibitors. I'm under the assumption that it's actually more of an accident as Inhibiting DHT synthesis may alter the estrogen to androgen ratio by shifting metabolism of testosterone to estradiol. This would explain why some people only see a slowdown of hairloss and others have major regrowth. I'm thinking in this case that if you actually want to see an increase in hairgrowth it would be best to just directly take estradiol instead of hoping for a reaction that isn't guaranteed by jumping to dutasteride. You'd still need to inhibit DHT to stop the inflammatory response. But in the words of Rob "stopping DHT production + increasing estrogen may slightly change skull bone structure and atrophy the muscles surrounding the galea. In doing so, this therapy may indirectly relieve chronic tension in the scalp skin — the same chronic tension that precipitates scalp inflammation and thereby the DHT-hair loss cascade."

I haven't researched into estradiol that much but I wonder what would happen if you used estradiol/trans drugs to actually regrow your hair then taper off them with the end result being just using 5AR inhibitors to stop the inflammatory response. I don't think I want to play around with anything like that currently but it's just a thought.

Here's just one random study I pulled up, the progress pictures are super poor but considering how strong the drugs are the results aren't honestly that amazing. I've had better results than this so far. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5367483/
I've also been looking at a few other cases of people on harder anti-androgen and not everyone has amazing regrowth, it truly seems like microneedling and mechanical stimulation is the way to go.

Tots7

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, great work. After you dermaroll do you wait a day or two before massaging since the skin is wounded? Also how much on average would you say you massage a day, 5 min?

Ayr9

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, great work. After you dermaroll do you wait a day or two before massaging since the skin is wounded? Also how much on average would you say you massage a day, 5 min?
40mins/day intense message..Take down all anger and pressure on that goddamn bald scalp

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair pre-regrowth was f*****g atrocious, I don't know how I could live with myself with my hair looking like that, you don't really notice regrowth until you actually compare yourself to past pics. It usually ends up feeling it's maybe gotten a bit better.
I don't think I will hop on dutasteride either, I think I'm just getting too impatient. I'll be sticking to my current regime for some more months and Rob also recommends I do that.
Also added a picture taken right now pic for comparison (hair is a little greasy)

Attachments

• 20190111_032926.jpg
    20190111_032926.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 481
  • 20190111_032842.jpg
    20190111_032842.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 486
  • 20190111_022825.jpg
    20190111_022825.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 496

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was 5 minutes but I'm massaging more recently as I'm trying to speed up my hairline growth, I'm also massaging the sides on my head but yes previously I was just massaging 5 minutes a day since I was lazy. When I first started I was massaging for long periods of time, maybe even 45 minutes, it's hard to time since I'd just massage slowly pinching my scalp as I browsed the web.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So what’s your regimen?
1.5 mm dermaroller once a week
40 mins Rob’s scalp massage daily
Tom haheryy muscle exercise
Is that it?
I don't even really do the scalp exercise anymore, it was causing wrinkles to form on my forehead when I did it lazily anyways.
I'm sort of experimenting with my regime right now changing things up like my last dermapen session was 2.75mm and I'm playing around with different amounts of massage times. I've also been applying additional stuff to my scalp like Retinol 2.5% (which is probably actually retinyl palmitate) in a mixture of stuff including Jojoba Oil, hydrochloric acid, Vit E etc but it's all very inconsistent and experimental right now which is why I haven't been updating.

I'm assuming you just glimpsed over to the regime so it's worth noting that I'm also taking 1.25mg for the last 3.5 months now to help out. I was seeing clear regrowth pre-finasteride though.

Tots7

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man, your results are better and better. So do you massage right after you dermarolll or do you wait a day or two? I imagine it’s painful to do it right after or at least for the first day or two.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man, your results are better and better. So do you massage right after you dermarolll or do you wait a day or two? I imagine it’s painful to do it right after or at least for the first day or two.
It's not so much that it hurts for me rather my scalp is just rather tight the days directly after microneedling and I find it difficult to actually get a grip. I tend to wait around 3-4 days but in that time I just do more light massages and also run my nails across my hair sort of lightly scratching my head, I notice it also helps collect the skin flakes from microneedling.

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys so I recently went outside and took some pictures which is something that I've been horrified of since my balding always looks 10x worse in direct sunlight, it wasn't only just outside though, I made sure to have greasy hair to show more thinning which is typically the recipe for some depressing disaster but it wasn't. There is still some signs of thinning but damn the density increase is real, like I've actually regrown the majority of my hairloss like what the f***. I made sure to take so many angles and ensure the lighting was good and my hair greasy so I can't hide sh*t so you know it's real. I know my hairline still has a decent way to go but it's actively progressing, if I fix my hairline and get some extra density this is some miracle tier stuff.

Attachments

• 20190111_103845.jpg
    20190111_103845.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 688
  • 20190111_103843.jpg
    20190111_103843.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 599
  • 20190111_103841.jpg
    20190111_103841.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 591
  • 20190111_103838.jpg
    20190111_103838.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 650
  • 20190111_103837.jpg
    20190111_103837.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 614
  • 20190111_103734.jpg
    20190111_103734.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 614
  • 20190111_103732.jpg
    20190111_103732.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 20190111_103730.jpg
    20190111_103730.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 660
  • 20190111_103728.jpg
    20190111_103728.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 652
  • 20190111_105501.jpg
    20190111_105501.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 724

amazingmandibles

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys so I recently went outside and took some pictures which is something that I've been horrified of since my balding always looks 10x worse in direct sunlight, it wasn't only just outside though, I made sure to have greasy hair to show more thinning which is typically the recipe for some depressing disaster but it wasn't. There is still some signs of thinning but damn the density increase is real, like I've actually regrown the majority of my hairloss like what the f***. I made sure to take so many angles and ensure the lighting was good and my hair greasy so I can't hide sh*t so you know it's real. I know my hairline still has a decent way to go but it's actively progressing, if I fix my hairline and get some extra density this is some miracle tier stuff.
How does your scalp look like after the derma sessions? Is it just red or do you get blood spots?

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How does your scalp look like after the derma sessions? Is it just red or do you get blood spots?
This album is from August and that's a 1.5mm derma roller session, lately I've been experimenting around with greater depths and intensities though which in turn means more blood but I typically don't bleed much at all. https://imgur.com/a/ypsD9V4

MyThinningConfidence

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I'm thinking the more intensive microneedling sessions are actually being quite effective, I'm too lazy to make comparison pictures right now but I'm getting loads of new terminal hairs and my hairline is seriously filling in now within the slick bald which is amazing since everyone told me it was impossible when I first came to the hairloss community, I wonder how far I can push it out, see if I can get a dream hairline at only $12.50 a month instead of $8000-15,000 for a hair transplant that I'm too young to get anyways.. It's probably hard to see with the compression of the image online but I just keep getting more and more terminal hairs in the slick bald along with ones even further out.

So basically for the more intensive microneedling I went at 2.75mm along with a few passes of 1.5mm in various speeds. Just for these tests I didn't care about microtearing and just went at it with wounding my scalp, I needled my temples many times over. There appears to be no issues of scarring and my scalp skin appears perfectly fine.The dermapen is cheap Chinese crap so I doubt it actually hit 2.75mm but there was a decent amount of blood, got some pics of the blood aftermath also for those interested.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190113-022841_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190113-022841_Gallery.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 468
  • Screenshot_20190113-022014_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190113-022014_Gallery.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 441
  • 20190113_021331.jpg
    20190113_021331.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 451
  • 20190113_021328.jpg
    20190113_021328.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 463
  • 20190113_021322.jpg
    20190113_021322.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 458

DuckThisSheet

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@MyThinningConfidence How does your temple/scalp looks in the day after microneedling with 1,5mm? Is it noticable for ppl, that you did something?
How long does it takes to heal everything (No redness)