I Am 18. Ashamed To Leave The House. 1 Year Since I Noticed Severe Balding.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you grow your hair out a bit more it might cover a lot of that thinning.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Start taking 1 mg finasteride now. Waiting is a mistake.

Use a ketoconazole shampoo 1-2 times a week.

Look into LLT. It helps with regrowth over minoxidil alone. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4154149/

You can buy cheap devices on Amazon for plants that work just as well as those expensive laser combs.
https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Booster-...d+660nm+LED+Bloom+Booster+Grow+Light+Bulb+for

Take a multivitamin with iodine and selenium and get plenty of magnesium.

Wait at least 1 year.

I don't even bother w/ minoxidil. It is too much of a pain to deal w/ a topical plus their is some concern that it can amplify 5AR. When I did use it (year+) I noticed no benefit. I also don't want to be terrified to have to go w/o it for a few days and induce a shed.

I have had good regrowth/maintenance with the above though.

Reactions: br1

Oscar66

Established Member
Reaction score
If you don't at least start a half a pill of finasteride, you will lose too much. If you can make it with some hair, even miniaturized a bit, you could possibly recover later with more finasteride and other treatments.
I've recovered almost slick bald areas with finasteride and MIN. But slick bald usually = NO HOPE

Reactions: br1

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m so sorry that you are going through this. I don’t often post here anymore but it breaks my heart that someone so young is going through this.
I know that you are probably disheartened by the shedding that you got from minoxidil, but that usually does happen when you begin these treatments. What it means is that you are pushing old, weaker hairs out and stimulating stronger, thicker growth. I think the advice that some of the guys have already given you is probably what you need to do.
- Minoxidil
- Dermarolling
- Nizoral shampoo
- A dht blocker. I don’t really love the idea of a young man taking these things so maybe you could try the topical version of finasteride or RU58841.

Good luck

Jimm

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You could also get away with concealing the thinning with some fibers and hairspray. I know it's not a permanent solution, but at least it'll give you a confidence boost and will make you feel a bit better about yourself. I know where you're at right now, I felt this way too at one point. But trust me, it'll get better. You're a young guy. Don't let this hold you back. Go and enjoy your life :)

What got you through it? Just said to hell with it?

Jimm

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And don’t listen to the daft comments from those telling you to start finasteride at 18. We all know how shitty this is, but it doesn’t top certain other things when it comes to your health and development. It’s not like any treatment is guaranteed, anyways.

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use Propecia or Avodart. Propecia is first line of defence.
At least for a year. Do not even think of a hair transplant.

In addition, observe Sisheido progress.

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
I started loosing my hair a bit later than this poor lad. The thinning began at around 23/24. My confidence took a whack and just like the OP said, I found it difficult to leave the house as well. I hid away from the world as much as I could. This lasted for about a year. Lost friends, lost a piece of who I was, as cheesy as that may sound. Depression was in full swing. I started using hair fibers and hairspray and had my hair cut in a way that balding was undetectable. I felt more comfortable being around people again and felt more like myself, and eventually just opened up to my friends and family about it. Nobody made a big deal of it. Situations like this are always going to seem worse to the person than they are to the rest of the world. There's absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

I did when I was 18. Sadly in 1984 there was absolutely nothing on the market. I then heard about Rogaine during an US holiday. I purchased it but ran into difficulties with German customs on my return. Fortunately a few years later they start to sell it in France.
No internet, no Propecia etc all those years back.
The young guy who started this thread is really lucky that he experiences it in 2018....altough not much comfort for him that 35 years ago it was much worse. Such is life

Dar

Established Member
Reaction score
If you grow your hair out a bit more it might cover a lot of that thinning.
I was going to say the same thing. When I was his age and my hair was that short...under bright light yeah you could see through it. Once I grew it out it thickened.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing. When I was his age and my hair was that short...under bright light yeah you could see through it. Once I grew it out it thickened.
Yeah I’m sure my hair is as thin or ever thinner, but my length covers it for sure.

Nextjohns

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!

-I am an 18 year old guy, and the balding won the fight against me.
-When I noticed the balding was already noticeable(about 1 year ago) I decided it is time for treatment. So I tried everything written on the internet, every method because I was desperate to believe it. Tried even the legit cures like minoxidil and all sorts of pills for 5-6 months but only made it worse...

-At this point I am a student and seeing every guy my age having hair, styling it however he wants makes me so jealous.
It’s just not fair, it makes me look so bad not to mention how unnatractive a girl finds an 18 year old balding guy. It looks so unnatural and bad...

-I have androgenetic alopecia from what I have been told (mom also started balding after she gave birth and now she has few hair at the top but did not lose it completely,and dad only went bald in his late 30’s but by choice)

-I want to know, how did other guys manage to handle it at my age? How did people react(boys and girls) what did they think of it? I know many of you will say they cut it completely and also that some friends might tell you “you look better”. Isn’t that lying to ourselver though and don’t they just say that to make us feel better?definitely bald is better than thin rare hair on top, but 19 and bald sounds depressing for me.
Thank you.

You need to get on finasteride, use toppix and go on no-fap (specifically SR). Goodluck

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil without anti-DHT ... is useless. You should try RU if you're afraid of finasteride.

Or give up and shave your hair - not really easy to do.
Lol, you have no idea what are you talking about . PLus, finasteride is poison .
Ru !!!! hahahahahaha. Yes, sure, a drug that was NEVER tested in human and we have no idea if it goes systemic
Dude, we are trying to help him, not f*** him .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're thinning this early you need to be on finasteride or dutasteride asap, that's my honest opinion.
Yes, good idea. Remove the man his DHT a
Hello!

-I am an 18 year old guy, and the balding won the fight against me.
-When I noticed the balding was already noticeable(about 1 year ago) I decided it is time for treatment. So I tried everything written on the internet, every method because I was desperate to believe it. Tried even the legit cures like minoxidil and all sorts of pills for 5-6 months but only made it worse...

-At this point I am a student and seeing every guy my age having hair, styling it however he wants makes me so jealous.
It’s just not fair, it makes me look so bad not to mention how unnatractive a girl finds an 18 year old balding guy. It looks so unnatural and bad...

-I have androgenetic alopecia from what I have been told (mom also started balding after she gave birth and now she has few hair at the top but did not lose it completely,and dad only went bald in his late 30’s but by choice)

-I want to know, how did other guys manage to handle it at my age? How did people react(boys and girls) what did they think of it? I know many of you will say they cut it completely and also that some friends might tell you “you look better”. Isn’t that lying to ourselver though and don’t they just say that to make us feel better?definitely bald is better than thin rare hair on top, but 19 and bald sounds depressing for me.
Thank you.

I started same as you, at 17 . Receding hairline like I was going to be complete bald by 21. I am 40 years and have most of my hair . My advices :
1) Don't listen most of ignorant here, they think this is twitter. Be smart, search for papers on pubmed.gov
2) The safer option is to start with minoxidil and never stop it. I have being using none stop fro 20 years. 5 %, every night ( you can try two times per day ) . NEVER, never stop it or replace it
3) You can add nizoral shampoo
4) If you can buy online alpha-estradiol, aka alfatradiol, is a much, much safer option than finasteride
5) Read about PDG.2 , try to find the cetirizine drops 1 % ( you can buy it online from Europe ) and use it after the minoxidil as a lotion. ( apply it 30 minutes after minoxidil )

I stooped duasteride ( I cant change my treatment diary, don't know why ) 14 month ago. And is a life changer. Blocking your systemic DHT is bad enough, but there is worst, since 5-alpha reductase is use it in tons of other reactions in the body. Not even talking about the increase of estrogen that is per worst cause the counter hormone for estrogen is DHT, not testosterone.

Again, don't believe the haters, the douchbags or that people that, without any knowledge, simple type cause is free.

By last, DON'T get a hair transplant. You are to young . And if bald sucks, bald with scars is worst..

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also. Will be good for you and interesting from us if you can check your DHT and your estrogens levels.
Even thought DHT levels is not the cause in mature balding, there are at least two papers that higher DHT levels ( out of the normal levels ) can cause that male pattern baldness start sooner ( as soon as at 14 years old ) .

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, good idea. Remove the man his DHT a

I started same as you, at 17 . Receding hairline like I was going to be complete bald by 21. I am 40 years and have most of my hair . My advices :
1) Don't listen most of ignorant here, they think this is twitter. Be smart, search for papers on pubmed.gov
2) The safer option is to start with minoxidil and never stop it. I have being using none stop fro 20 years. 5 %, every night ( you can try two times per day ) . NEVER, never stop it or replace it
3) You can add nizoral shampoo
4) If you can buy online alpha-estradiol, aka alfatradiol, is a much, much safer option than finasteride
5) Read about PDG.2 , try to find the cetirizine drops 1 % ( you can buy it online from Europe ) and use it after the minoxidil as a lotion. ( apply it 30 minutes after minoxidil )

I stooped duasteride ( I cant change my treatment diary, don't know why ) 14 month ago. And is a life changer. Blocking your systemic DHT is bad enough, but there is worst, since 5-alpha reductase is use it in tons of other reactions in the body. Not even talking about the increase of estrogen that is per worst cause the counter hormone for estrogen is DHT, not testosterone.

Again, don't believe the haters, the douchbags or that people that, without any knowledge, simple type cause is free.

By last, DON'T get a hair transplant. You are to young . And if bald sucks, bald with scars is worst..

Re hair transplant. The worst thing in the world. These days you may be able to stop further hair loss but nothing is guaranteed. You are completely screwed if balding still continues. No Zidane head possible anymore due to scars.
I detest people who give the advice to go ahead due to concerns expressed above. I hope Tuisj will be the solution and all other hair transplant surgeons go bust!!

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is brutal, man.

Get on finasteride and minoxidil asap. It's your only hope. The people telling you to wait are f*****g high; at this rate you'll likely be a NW7 by 22 - 23 at the latest.

MRKA

My Regimen
Reaction score
And don’t listen to the daft comments from those telling you to start finasteride at 18. We all know how shitty this is, but it doesn’t top certain other things when it comes to your health and development. It’s not like any treatment is guaranteed, anyways.

You make untrue claims...!!

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, you have no idea what are you talking about . PLus, finasteride is poison .
Ru !!!! hahahahahaha. Yes, sure, a drug that was NEVER tested in human and we have no idea if it goes systemic
Dude, we are trying to help him, not f*** him .

Yeah Finasteride is a poison. I can't say otherwise.
RU ... he can try very low dose, it's better than nothing.
You're a troll, but ok.