I Am 18. Ashamed To Leave The House. 1 Year Since I Noticed Severe Balding.

eMPowrd

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!

-I am an 18 year old guy, and the balding won the fight against me.
-When I noticed the balding was already noticeable(about 1 year ago) I decided it is time for treatment. So I tried everything written on the internet, every method because I was desperate to believe it. Tried even the legit cures like minoxidil and all sorts of pills for 5-6 months but only made it worse...

-At this point I am a student and seeing every guy my age having hair, styling it however he wants makes me so jealous.
It’s just not fair, it makes me look so bad not to mention how unnatractive a girl finds an 18 year old balding guy. It looks so unnatural and bad...

-I have androgenetic alopecia from what I have been told (mom also started balding after she gave birth and now she has few hair at the top but did not lose it completely,and dad only went bald in his late 30’s but by choice)

-I want to know, how did other guys manage to handle it at my age? How did people react(boys and girls) what did they think of it? I know many of you will say they cut it completely and also that some friends might tell you “you look better”. Isn’t that lying to ourselver though and don’t they just say that to make us feel better?definitely bald is better than thin rare hair on top, but 19 and bald sounds depressing for me.
Thank you.

Attachments

• A690B840-6702-4C21-B82B-8AC323808A59.jpeg
    A690B840-6702-4C21-B82B-8AC323808A59.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 3,165
  • A5140BC9-19A3-462C-9CEF-E78E82A620A3.jpeg
    A5140BC9-19A3-462C-9CEF-E78E82A620A3.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 2,893
  • 12B98D26-0520-4D7B-A436-74531C72D798.jpeg
    12B98D26-0520-4D7B-A436-74531C72D798.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 2,844
  • BB83EDD4-1EFE-47AE-B8A5-033F6858C8B4.jpeg
    BB83EDD4-1EFE-47AE-B8A5-033F6858C8B4.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 5,294
  • 4B8C9B35-9D49-4F7C-BBD6-6BABFDD7D9EC.jpeg
    4B8C9B35-9D49-4F7C-BBD6-6BABFDD7D9EC.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 3,510

eMPowrd

My Regimen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I usually sweep my hair on a side so it is not so obvious that I am balding...when I wear it straight it makes me feel horrible though. And that is not a long-term solution...by 20 I will probably have no hair or so few that it’ll look horrible...i don’t know...

ZenHead

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d probably wait a few more years to get on finasteride, but I’d recommend dermarolling once a week with minoxidil. A lot of people have great results with it, you’re still able to save your hair.

eMPowrd

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is not just about keeping my hair because it already looks ugly. I told you I tried minoxidil and all sorts of pills. But it only aggravated everything. I want to regrow it, have more hair but I read once your follicle falls, it never regrows.

Baldingmonkey

My Regimen
Reaction score
you seem skinny no? hit the gym bulk up and try to gain lean mass! shave your hair completely baled you seem like you have the skull for it
the bald tough guy look isn't for you ? hair system then. where do you live? in most developed countries there are salons that work with hair replacements that are glued and loo very natural if you can afford them go for it your parents should help if they can.
hair transplant in turkey/any cheap country "probably wait few more years for such option.

don't isolate yourself you're going to be ruined more by depression than hairloss you have to work with what you got until we have a cure or die bald just don't let it control your life better enjoy life bald than living in depression with a bald head .

Pephair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First off, wrong section of the forum.

Second, what pills are you referring to? I would get in on Finasteride if you haven't.

Third, start dermarolling.

Fourth, use Toppik in the meantime, You have enough hair that you'll look great with it.

SamFT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, I usually sweep my hair on a side so it is not so obvious that I am balding...when I wear it straight it makes me feel horrible though. And that is not a long-term solution...by 20 I will probably have no hair or so few that it’ll look horrible...i don’t know...
Same way I feel... started balding at 16 I’m 20 now my hair loss isn’t as bad as yours but I had the same feelings all through high school. Didn’t want to go outside if it was windy, didn’t want to go swimming anymore. Have you tried seti? It stopped my itch and I’m pretty sure I’m maintaining. If you have the money you could go up to 2g a day. Otherwise maintaining could help while we wait for breezula, follicum and follica

Kagaho

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me it started the same age you did but it wasnt such agressive as yours. I managed to stop it with Finasteride first, then switched to Dutasteride.

Do damage control kiddo, try short haircuts, and talk with a derm asap.

Also what do you mean you tried all sorts of pills? Highly unlikely you took Avodart which BTW is approved for hairloss in Japan, dont know if its OK for your age though. Speak that with the Doctor.

About socials, not gonna lie here, this sh*t cause a noticeable impact, really important not to overreact and remember you still have most of your hair hair left.

There are other modalities of treatments, like dermarolling combined with minoxidil but first try to find a good doctor who understand your pain.

Last edited:

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just jump on big 4 bomb

dermaroller 1.5mm every 7 days once
minoxidil 5% once daily 0.7ml / 1ml
keto 2 % 3/4 times peer week
finasteride 1.25mg daily

You will save it.

itchymadscalp

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil without anti-DHT ... is useless. You should try RU if you're afraid of finasteride.

Or give up and shave your hair - not really easy to do.

Kev123

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’d probably wait a few more years to get on finasteride, but I’d recommend dermarolling once a week with minoxidil. A lot of people have great results with it, you’re still able to save your hair.

This is what my mother and every adult told me.

It failed pretty bad.

Finasteride/minoxidil usually just stops hair loss, not every one is lucky and regrows hair.

Best thing to do is to start as soon you notice your hairloss. That's what I would've told my 18 year old self.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
You say you took pills. you took finasteride ? If you started taking then stopped them it sounds like you didnt lend them nearly enough time. You need at least a year. The first couple of months you'll get worse.

opti

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude chill. First of all you have diffuse thinning and not already nw3 temples. That would suck ! Second, where did you read about a lost hair never comes back ??? Until you 're completely bald your hair will come back, hair cycles lead to hair coming back more than 10x in your life. For Androgenetic Alopecia patients this 10x probably happens a lot faster and your hair everytime grows less.

You should check your thyroid levels. Then you could try dermarollijg with minoxidil to get your hair more volumina . You don't even have to go full anti-ar , you probably shouldn't ,because you 're too young

random phone charger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello!

-I am an 18 year old guy, and the balding won the fight against me.
-When I noticed the balding was already noticeable(about 1 year ago) I decided it is time for treatment. So I tried everything written on the internet, every method because I was desperate to believe it. Tried even the legit cures like minoxidil and all sorts of pills for 5-6 months but only made it worse...

-At this point I am a student and seeing every guy my age having hair, styling it however he wants makes me so jealous.
It’s just not fair, it makes me look so bad not to mention how unnatractive a girl finds an 18 year old balding guy. It looks so unnatural and bad...

-I have androgenetic alopecia from what I have been told (mom also started balding after she gave birth and now she has few hair at the top but did not lose it completely,and dad only went bald in his late 30’s but by choice)

-I want to know, how did other guys manage to handle it at my age? How did people react(boys and girls) what did they think of it? I know many of you will say they cut it completely and also that some friends might tell you “you look better”. Isn’t that lying to ourselver though and don’t they just say that to make us feel better?definitely bald is better than thin rare hair on top, but 19 and bald sounds depressing for me.
Thank you.

Sometimes life forces us to calm down; everyday saturated in discontent, aided by an undesirable constant. We stray to various medications to re-mediate anything salvageable, no matter the adverse consequences in focus. Hair loss is figuratively a tranquilizing dart in the hind leg of a mature male Lion. its only purpose, is to participate in advancing other predatory animals that would not otherwise fair to defeat said Lion. We're just tumbling Lions footing a Savannah scape, chasing slow/weakened after majestic Gazelles. Instinctively, we're born killers hindered by our very own silly brains that are dissolving away like a tablet of aspirin in a half cup of club soda. That is without saying, our only hope is to take on the identity of other predatory creatures, in order to perform sufficiently in said motherland. Whatever earns a meal, is a meal. - Random phone charger

I'm 20 NW2.

Last edited:

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
You need to get on finasteride if you haven’t already. I feel for you, this sh*t is depressing, I know.

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're thinning this early you need to be on finasteride or dutasteride asap, that's my honest opinion.

abcdefg

Reaction score
First steps for someone who starts to bald:

1. Get on zix (zinc+b6, check the thread somewhere on this forum)
2. Dermaroll with dermapen (check recent thread about a guy who grew almost everything back)

Wait a few months and see if this regimen work.

If not enough

3. Add minoxidil

If still not enough

4. Add topical fina (but be cautious since you're young)

Would recommend to try to avoid fina whatever the cost first and try every alternate method first.

Personally I wouldnt use finasteride at 18. I would wait until 21 or later hair loss or not. That being said right now sadly you could take all this crap, and it wont even come near finasteride alone. Right now male pattern baldness really is to take finasteride or not. Not a lot of choices. None of the natural crap does a damn thing so if you want something to take to feel better go ahead and give some supplements a shot, but you wont regrow any hair.