How to deal with side effects from Propecia

Ende

Reaction score
Re: How to deal with side effects from finasteride

Yeah, I've to admit I'm a bit sensitive. One session was constant laughing of tickling and screaming of PAIN, lol. It made me exhausted, but it did feel very good afterwards.

Ende

Reaction score

epro said:
i did it e2 too high, shbg too low
Low SHBG wasn't expected. It got me thinking. Estrogen increases during treatment with finasteride. SHBG increases with estrogen, and enhances the estrogenic effects on the body, because it has greater affinity for androgens, especially DHT - which is the estrogen antagonist. When you quit because of side effects, you have a problem with excessive estrogen. A lot of the DHT which then gets produced, binds to SHBG, which in turn frees up MORE estrogen. Increased free testosterone, will lead to further increased estrogen level as well, because of aromatization. Then SHBG raises again, and you're fucked. What do you think, Mens Rea??

Ende

Reaction score

It makes sense since people initially feel better, then everything turns around within two weeks, and they're suddenly worse off than they were on the drug.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Enden said:
epro said:
i did it e2 too high, shbg too low
Low SHBG wasn't expected. It got me thinking. Estrogen increases during treatment with finasteride. SHBG increases with estrogen, and enhances the estrogenic effects on the body, because it has greater affinity for androgens, especially DHT - which is the estrogen antagonist. When you quit because of side effects, you have a problem with excessive estrogen. A lot of the DHT which then gets produced, binds to SHBG, which in turn frees up MORE estrogen. Increased free testosterone, will lead to further increased estrogen level as well, because of aromatization. Then SHBG raises again, and you're f***ed. What do you think, Mens Rea??

Well first and formost i'd like to see what epro's actual readings are. "Too low" is a little vague. I'd say "too low" is under 15 nmol/L, which i doubt is the case.

I do think, although the general rule of SHBG going up with estrogen rings true, the relationship isn't as strong in practice as in theory. I see incongruent levels of SHBG and E2 all the time.

The one thing, i guess, wrong with that feedback loop is that you say when there is a flow of DHT binding to more SHBG creating more free testosterone, in theory, then you can end up with "more estrogen". However, since given the fact that, as you noted, DHT is the estrogen antagonist, we don't really know where that leaves net estrogen levels as a result of this initial DHT surge (which should serve to reduce them). It seems to depend on the individual, really, doesn't it?

I honestly can't make any sense out of my own hormonal profile anymore so I'll not pretend the theory fits where it should. In Jan i read with high DHT, Testosterone, Estrogen AND SHBG. LOL.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Enden said:
It makes sense since people initially feel better, then everything turns around within two weeks, and they're suddenly worse off than they were on the drug.

Honestly, in all of "PFS syndrome" the crash after 2-3 weeks of normality that many sufferers experience, is the hardest thing to explain.

I have no idea how exactly it happens but i'm pretty sure for the 2-3 weeks of normality the body is extremely strained trying to "re-balance" and normalise itself. This all comes to a head after 2 or 3 weeks when all the feedback mechanisms are hitting each other head on, seemingly resetting "default" for many.

I never had the crash AFAIK, did you?

Ende

Reaction score

Too low SHBG level means a SHBG level below 8 nmol/l - and it sounds like a doctor told him that it was too low. It's weird though. You usually only hear about low SHBG level in relation to TRT and steroid abusers.

Ende

Reaction score

I remember something else I was going to ask you about; body hair. Do you have a full beard? Full chest of hair? I'm just wondering.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Enden said:
I remember something else I was going to ask you about; body hair. Do you have a full beard? Full chest of hair? I'm just wondering.

Yes, both. Always been a hairy guy, probably top 10% in the hairnyness scale LOL

Ende

Reaction score

Yeah, no wonder. Your natural testosterone level is HIGH.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Enden said:
Yeah, no wonder. Your natural testosterone level is HIGH.

It's my DHT level that is :woot: though. 4.9. Double what is should be.

God know what pre-finasteride was, but wouldn't it be ironic if finasteride made things worse?!

epro

Reaction score

This my results:
Estradiol- 45,1pg/ml (7,6-42,6)
LH- 5,15 mIU/ml (1,7-8,6)
Progesteron- 0,716 ng/ml (0,2-1,4)
Prolactin- 17,38 ng/ml (4,6-21,4)
Testosteron- 6,85 ng/ml (2,80-11,00)
SHBG- 16,0 nmol/l (20,0-70,0)

So as you can see 2 values aren't in range.

Ende

Reaction score

SHBG is an indicator of the testosterone/estrogen ratio. Low usually means androgen dominance (which it should be), high means estrogen dominance. However, I think your SHBG level will raise again. You should take care of the estrogen level, and continue monitoring all those blood values.

epro

Reaction score

Do you have any suggestions about estradiol, how can i decrease it? I am exercising, taking zinc, omega oils and l-arginine. Is this enough to make my hormonal balance back again?

Ende

Reaction score

Exercising is good. An aromatase inhibitor is essential. Large doses of zinc works as an AI. Your prolactin level is high as well. Personally, I would deplete it with cabergoline. 0.25 mg twice a week for a couple of weeks should do it. This has no negative consequences.

epro

Reaction score

Ok, i try i hope it will increase my libido cause i got problems with maintaining my erection, but my biggest worry is my flaccid size (shrinkage), do you have any idea how to deal with this?

Ende

Reaction score

Take it slow with treatment - but be consistent, and keep track of changes in hormone values.

epro

Reaction score

I mean what shrinkage is caused by? Which hormon, how to treat this?

Ende

Reaction score

I know what you meant, but like I said; it seems to be caused by unfavorable ratios between DHT, testosterone and estrogen - fluctuations. There is no easy way to fix this. I recommended an approach to this problem.

epro

Reaction score

I've got one more question. Last night i had panic attack, or something similar to this what i have exerienced when i was crashing. Should i worry this or this is normal reaction of my organism?