How to deal with side effects from Propecia

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Joe-1991 said:
You are ON the drug right? apparently Zinc will help to maintain healthy levels of testosterone, yes. It is also a weak anti estrogen.

Unfortunately, 'playing with drugs' is no way out once finasteride fucks you over. Many of the guys on propeciahelp are seeing some of the best endocrinologists in the world, looking into every avenue and generally the worst affected are not getting better. There are a couple of guys who have spent probably over $40,000 and one who i dread to even imagine. A bunch of guys just went over to Greece, paid a doctor $9,000 to give them Prostatitis treatment for a month - and no improvements.

You can take all the supplements you like on the drug but i honestly don't think they will stop the damage that finasteride can do, if your body can't handle it. I was taking fish oil, zinc and iron when i crashed. I am sure you will be fine though, not everyone gets side effects. Somehow i have wound up in a very small subset of men with persistent problems.

By the way, if you are looking into buying supplements - buy the right ones. Iherb is probably the best place to get them. I take pharmaceutical grade fish oil, zinc picolinate, spirulina, magnesium citrate as staple supplements. They haven't done anything to fight the horrible persistant side effects of finasteride though. I just have great skin and decent energy.

http://www.iherb.com/

It doesn't take a long time to learn some basics when it comes to supplements and nutrition. Do some googling and bookmark your favorite/ most informative sources.

Hi, thank you for the kind answer. Yes, I'm on the drug. I'm struggling to manage 1mg so I've reduced to 0,5mg but split in 2 (can't even handle that in one go). My main problems are stomach problems. However I have also noticed my libido shrink further (wasn't high to begin with). Of course this can always have to do with my stomach, because if that is screwed up, you don't think about sex. Also my balls ache a bit lately but everything works still. It's only been a bit more than two months that I'm on it. I try not to get paranoid but some threads and propeciahelp don't help this. Everything works so far though...

I think I will give it a go with the zinc, this is very helpful! I will think positive and try it out. I like the fact that this isn't a real drug but it's more or less natural.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
You won't know if propecia is doing you real harm ON the drug. I barely had any side effects on it. The real trouble begins when you come off it.

As long as you know the risks thats fine. Nobody can complain if they end up impotent for life now because propecia changed the packaging thanks to the hard work of PFS victims.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I think nobody really knows the risks when you try finasteride?! We're all desperate when we start taking a drug to fight hairloss. It sounds easy but it isn't. We all know that we can get sides, a lot of us do. Problem is you never know until you try.

I'm scared I guess, that's why I hang out at these forums. It's easy to get obsessed with hairloss, it becomes a big issue. I surely have been the last two months. I went from being proud to not take any medicine two months ago to a full regimen for hairloss. And I've today ordered zinc and fish oil. Also use multivitamins.

Now I read about these other things that you can use to improve love life. At the same time there are these depressive stories and all the scaredness about propecia. It can really get in your head at some point. No wonder a lot of us freak out. And some of us rightfully so.

Sometimes I get sides from this forum which may be worse than the ones from finasteride. Then I need a good dose of Success stories to get me going again.

Joe-1991

Established Member
Reaction score
Do what you gotta do' man. I know hair loss can be devastating at a young age. I had a depressed phase when it first hit me and i was always checking my hair. Now, i would trade every hair on my head, even my eyebrows for my sexual functioning/ sleep and personality back.

Once you lose your health, you lose everything.

Looking back, i can't even believe i thought it was OK take a hormone altering drug for the sake of my hair. I can bet that in 3 years, the truth will be out about finasteride. God knows what is going to happen to some young men now that dutasteride is becoming more popular.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Joe-1991 said:
God knows what is going to happen to some young men now that dutasteride is becoming more popular.

I've been on dutasteride for six and a half weeks now. No hair growth results (yet), however, virtually no side effects. Sensitivity is normal, normal sperm, normal libido etc

finasteride was bad for me from the start--it got better, almost to a normal point, but then it started getting worse again. I kept believing the sides would go away but they didn't.