How to deal with side effects from Propecia

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
Re: How to deal with side effects from finasteride

Two weeks on .25/mg of finasteride tomorrow, I think.

So far so good. I noted a change in libido the first few days but it is nearly back to how I was when off of finasteride. I had a morning erection yesterday but it hasn't really happened otherwise since starting finasteride. Erections are fine, and semen consistency is 100% normal unlike when I was on 1.25mg of fincar.

Keeping tabs on things. If I see any real decrease in libido again I will definitely get off and stay off.

The greatest thing, though? It is totally stopping the itch on my scalp that I associate with hairloss. Hasn't itched since 2 days on.

Reaction score

Let me know how the 0.25 mg dose works for you. I started on 1mg for about 4 months before getting sides. I reduced to 0.5 mg for a month, sides were initially reduced, but ultimately came back.

I have thought about trying a 0.25 dose bc it scares me to not use any androgen related treatment but I don't know if it is worth it. Now that I have been off finasteride completely for three weeks or so, the sides are clearly going away, which is good.

Oh but I did want to add - the itch that I have now from just being on minoxidil is pretty terrible.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score

just got result of sperm analysis
bad at all
well, i'm not sterile but also the skeptic general Doctor now seems to understand that there is something wrong

anyone had sperm analysis done?

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Propecia said:
just got result of sperm analysis
bad at all
well, i'm not sterile but also the skeptic general Doctor now seems to understand that there is something wrong

anyone had sperm analysis done?

Can you please elaborate?

Also, is your semen watery?

Don't panic anyway. Your load can change so quickly. I mean, if you were trying to conceive there are loads of things you could take to boost FSH, boost semen quantity etc. Not to mention, the load you have from sex is likely to be very different from the sample. This is what Professor Bouloux told me, anyway. It's a very imprecise science.

Prop

Established Member
Reaction score

Mens Rea said:

Don't panic anyway. Your load can change so quickly. I mean, if you were trying to conceive there are loads of things you could take to boost FSH, boost semen quantity etc. Not to mention, the load you have from sex is likely to be very different from the sample. This is what Professor Bouloux told me, anyway. It's a very imprecise science.

thx mens rea.

i'm not trying to conceive, but the results conferms that mytestis don'twork properly.

Another strange thing is that my semen is very watery in a small part and ther's a sperm "core" nearly solid !
i have not with me the sp. analys. but i remember that i had
0 sperm rapid movement
about 70% sperm abnormal form
delayed sperm liquefaction.

and furthermore i have noticed more large vein around penis and also more little weblike small veins.
Not panic,but frustration.

mens,r u actually taking something for ur symptoms?

Ende

Reaction score

monty1978 said:
Cracked one off for the first time in about 2 weeks today. Just thought i'd see what happened. It actually shot for once but wasn't very enjoyable and was watery and grey.
Thanks for sharing. :)p)

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Propecia said:
Mens Rea said:

thx mens rea.

i'm not trying to conceive, but the results conferms that mytestis don'twork properly.

Another strange thing is that my semen is very watery in a small part and ther's a sperm "core" nearly solid !
i have not with me the sp. analys. but i remember that i had
0 sperm rapid movement
about 70% sperm abnormal form
delayed sperm liquefaction.

and furthermore i have noticed more large vein around penis and also more little weblike small veins.
Not panic,but frustration.

mens,r u actually taking something for ur symptoms?

Yeah ive just started arimidex.. Should take a few weeks atleast to see how that goes. Going to be hitting the gym etc next week to help synergise these effects.

Pregnenelone cream really boosted my semen though.

Established Member
Reaction score

Aromasin
AIFM

not as harsh as armidex, less likely to give you hot flushes and sore joints.
Personally found armidex worked a little too well at reducing eostrogen.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

1750 said:
Aromasin
AIFM

not as harsh as armidex, less likely to give you hot flushes and sore joints.
Personally found armidex worked a little too well at reducing eostrogen.

I have aromasin too

Might use it if arimdex doesn't work

Aromasin is strong stuff though and the way it works concerns me slightly. I have heard it permanently downregulated estrogen a repulatable endo's patient. It kills the aromatase enzymes.

Established Member
Reaction score

armidex will def work..
start off easy with it.... I'd heat up with hot flushes within 15 mins of taking .5mg doses and wake up with aching knuckles/knees etc...

from personal experience AIFM was the mildest of the bunch and as a trans-dermal it wasn't getting stuck into my liver and kidneys.

aromasin has definitely not permanently down-regulated my estrogen...
then again.. I naturally have excessively high testosterone and estrogen levels anyway

Mens Rea

Reaction score

1750 said:
armidex will def work..
start off easy with it.... I'd heat up with hot flushes within 15 mins of taking .5mg doses and wake up with aching knuckles/knees etc...

from personal experience AIFM was the mildest of the bunch and as a trans-dermal it wasn't getting stuck into my liver and kidneys.

aromasin has definitely not permanently down-regulated my estrogen...
then again.. I naturally have excessively high testosterone and estrogen levels anyway

Aromasin is the preferred AI among the bodybuilders noW. It has several advantages over arimdex and less sides.

BUT it's tests on men are limited. That's the one problem. It's a little bit of a risk in some respects.

Yeah i took an 1/8th of a tablet and will take another 1/8th on Sunday. Thats 0.125mg twice week. I have been prescribed 0.25mg twice weekly but ive started with less - ill probably move up though as my base levels are 199pmol/L !!

Ende

Reaction score

Wow. Your estrogen level has increased a bit then. Was that after use of Clomid? Don't increase the Arimidex dose. It'll suppress your estrogen level efficiently, even at 0.125 mg twice a week.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Enden said:
Wow. Your estrogen level has increased a bit then. Was that after use of Clomid? Don't increase the Arimidex dose. It'll suppress your estrogen level efficiently, even at 0.125 mg twice a week.

Nope, no clomid.

Only thing i did between that and my previous test 2 months ago was try pregnenolone cream for two weeks. It helped. My cortisol levels have shot up too (although one blood test is never a great measure) so its not impossible that when i pushed up my preg, prog and cortisol that E2 somehow jumped up (although it shouldn't have).

My FSH has also went back to 2.2, which is the highest reading ive had (I had a 2.2 reading back in October on my first bloods)

Things are getting interesting.

I need get from 199pmol to about 110pmol - that's close to 50%. I've read you can take like 0.5mg ED to achieve this. I think there is definately a law of diminishing retursn. I'll stick with my 1/8th for this week and next and reassess after two weeks. I'm playing the long game.

Ende

Reaction score

Yeah, believe me, it's wise to be careful with AI's. Before you know it, they'll turn against you.

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Enden said:
Yeah, believe me, it's wise to be careful with AI's. Before you know it, they'll turn against you.

Arimidex and I are on good terms, it's cool. I got this one

;0

Ende

Reaction score

It's most likely because of Arimidex... I never feel good while I'm using it. The symptoms improves several weeks/months after treatment, never during...

Mens Rea

Reaction score

Monty i think you'd respond better to Clomid or Tamoxifen. I don't think arimidex was ever an ideal treatment plan for you..

Mens Rea

Reaction score

monty1978 said:
Who knows :dunno:

I'm still waiting for my next endo appointment. Really wanna do something about this now not that I'm attractive enough to get any sex but I'd still like to have the capacity for it.

How r u doing these days?

No real improvements. It's the girth loss that's disturbing me most if im honest, really feeling sexually compromised now. But when i get a decent erection (80%) it looks acceptable.

We'll see how the arimidex goes for me, i've everything in place now (after alot of work with my endo and GP) - im taking it officially and i got my base bloods taken on Tuesday and i'll be getting weekly bloods for the next while (or 2 weeks when i think that's enough).

Going to start training hard too to see if i can push my body into recovery.

But i'll be honest, it's in my head literally every minute of the day. I must recover.

Ende

Reaction score

What about treating yourself with hCG or a low dose of Clomid now? I wouldn't wait for the endo to assess the situation. Some people need several attempts to get things going anyway.