How Is This Possible - Receding Hairline With Great Hair Genetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Usually when hairloss is diet/lifestyle related it triggers Telogen Effluvium, which usually thins hair ALL over your scalp (possibly even in areas not affected by male pattern baldness, like sides and back). Do you feel you've been diffusely thinning lately?

Also, have you ever had your thyroid hormones checked? Longterm anxiety/low-level depression can be indicative of hypothyroidism, which may cause some hairloss
If it isn't of one these two scenarios, then I'm sorry, OP, but you probably have inherited the male pattern baldness genes from somewhere. The only way to truly know is to go to a derm and have your temples/scalp checked at a microscopic level (to assess miniaturization)

(that being said, your temples are minimally receded and you still have a very straight hairline, even if it's male pattern baldness you still have a high probability of maintaining with the existing treatments)

Good luck
Appreciate your answer.
Thiningh has been mostly on the crown, a bit on the sides too. On the back of the head it's still thick and dense, but not sure there.

I haven't done a complete thyroid panel, just FT3, it came out a bit higher, the Doctor assured me it's fine.
However, I do have a small thyroid nodule detected which requires periodic check-ups.

Could a 23andme genetic test give a clue whether I'm in danger or not?

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definition of a mature hairline tbh. Looks like a NW1.5/NW2 in your vid but it still looks almost non-recessed because you have insane density. Nearly a perfect head of hear. No thinning behind the hairline ( =>balding). It's okay man.
If you're not trolling you have BDD tbh
I'm just worried at the moment, I'd be ok if it stays like this.
I'm very self-aware and insecure about my looks, tbh, and always hyper-analyzing every detail and trait

Reanu

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could a 23andme genetic test give a clue whether I'm in danger or not?

Unfortunately, no. These DNA tests work with probability (a test could say you're 82% not likely to have male pattern baldness, but they never consider the other 18%)
At such an early stage, the only sure way to check if your hair is miniaturizing is to go have your hair checked out by a trained professional

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
True, my skin could use improvement. I have a permanent mild redness, some mild acne. It just never seems to get better even though I've made efforts to improve my diet

No dude, go lie in the sun, go to a tanning salon. I used to be your colour, it's a turn off lol

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Post some pics of you at your early 20s or 18-19
I don't think I have pics of me when I was 18, but I'll look for them.

What worries me is that the thinning is greater near the 2 temples
I am going to make an appointment to a dermatologist. Are there any blood tests to ask for? DHT levels maybe? (would high DHT means I'm in danger?)

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
New mutations keep happening in men and women . it could have been a new mutation which you got from either of your parent.

DerDon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are only a few people with no male pattern baldness in the family history, who are still balding. Im also one of them. For whatever reason it always starts with Telogen Effluvium, massive shedding and really fast progression. I really dont get it. The other way around, there are plenty of people who have bald dads and dont show any signs of male pattern baldness. A lot of celebs, hell even of my friends.

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wow, that was very rapid diffuse thinning. Are you sure you have no males or even females in your family that are balding? The temples are receding but it also seems like you have Telogen Effluvium. Did the blood tests show anything?
My father was Norwood 1.5 until he passed away, at age 52. He had dark hair till the very end, no graying.
My grandfather (from my father's side) was NW2 - Norwood 2.5 till the end of his life. He passed away at 82. I do remember from his younger pics, in his 30s, that he naturally had a bit high, mature hairline. I'm guessing he rocked a NW2 most of his adult life. On a phisical level, I take after him a lot. My facial structure is very similar to him
My grandfather (from my mother's side): I don't remember him well, he died early, but I asked my mother and she said he didn't had any hairloss problems at all. Was NW2 at most till he died or so.

My mother: No signs of hairloss, she is 60 now.
Both my grandmothers: no signs of hairloss.

About blood tests. I very recently did extended blood tests, ordered by my endocrinologist.

Ideal range:
  • Serum Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D
Almost everything came out in ideal range, except:
  • I have Low Testosterone (300 - 400 ng/dL total and very low free T). Found this 1 year ago. This is a concern if I were to use Propecia in the (near) future)
  • My thiroid tests came out in range, however, I skew towards mild hypothyroidism
  • I have low pituitary hormones (LH, FSH). This is what's probably causing my low testosteron
  • Low neutrophiles (white blood cells)
I also have a small diagnosed thyroid nodule, unchanged in size over 1 year (confirmed by ultrasound)

So I definitely noticed the more hairloss falling in the shower during the first 3 months of my Keto / Carnivore diet. But most of the thinning was already done before that.
What worries me is how much more spaced out are the hair folicles on the crown, there is scalp skin visible between the folicles.
In the last month, I have not experienced any hairloss in the shower. It seems to have stopped.

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lately, I've been trying to research possible medical explanations for what is happening to me. As I've said, I've recently done extensive blood tests and pretty much nothing came out out of range. I consulted with an Endo, and the only stuff she prescribed me was Vitamin E and low-dose Levothyroxine (T4) for my thyroid nodule.

• LDL Cholesterol: 207.5 mg/dL very high due to the Carnivore diet, however my hair thinning started before. This will go down again, as I'm off the diet
  • Total Testosterone 440 ng/dL. Low-normal range. Working on improving this
  • Free Testosterone: 11.91 pg/mL (range 1:28) low, but not acutely low
  • SHBG 40 nmol/L normal
  • hCG < 0.1 mUI/mL
  • Thyroglobulin 47.97 ng/mL normal
  • anti-Thyroglobulin < 10 UI/mL normal
  • Serum Magnesium, serum Calcium, Ionic Calcium: all in range
  • TSH 3.32 uUI/mL high-ish, but still in range
  • FT4, PTH normal range
  • Prolactin 192 uUI/mL normal
The only thing that I do know that caused me harm and was possibly among the causes of my hair thinning & loss was my chronic stress.
I'm a highly-emotional person, living with constant anxiety. That's surely got to keep Cortisol levels elevated for a long, long time :(

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Do you have any photos that show your hair right before your buzz cut it. On the first page, you hair was amazing and looked perfect. Is your hair fine in texture? Having thyroid issues and taking levothyroxine might have some play in your situation. Sorry about losing your father so young. Was he a diffuse thinner at all? I think if you experience constant anxiety that can play a role too. Can I ask you why you have constant anxiety? Do you have self image problems like BDD? Are you a perfectionist?

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're definitely thinning on top now for sure. Also, regarding male pattern baldness and family history. It's such a prevalent condition among the peoples of Europe, Middle East, and India that everyone from those places has it in their family history. And yes, it can skip a generation.

Mapleman

Established Member
Reaction score
You are thinning. Diffuse thinning. Not all male pattern baldness is situated at the hairline. The reason some males are slick bald are because they lose hair all over their scalp, you have that gene. Destined for NW6. Sorry man, im in the same boat. I have used dutasteride for 4 years and minoxidil for 4 years, i still have the appearance of a thinning head of hair. Started dermarolling 3 months ago, hope hair will look better in a month of two...

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As of now, I believe all hairloss has halted in the last 4 weeks, but a lot of damege is already done. I see nothing in the showers.
This morning, I noticed a few new baby hairs grown on the top of my forehead and around my temples.
Remaining optimistic. I will make it of primary importance to minimize stress in my life.

@Mapleman Did you experience itching during the months / years of hair loss?
@Me Vs DiffuseThinning So are you saying I should find out what hairline did my grand grand fathers had?
@DoctorHouse Thanks. I'd say my father wasn't diffuse thinning almost at all. He beat cancer the first time, did chemo. Barely lost any hair even then.
I will post pics before the buzz cut tommorow. I surely have.
Not sure how hair texture can be assessed, but it does feel more coarse in the last months.

I have general & social anxiety, and self-image obsession too. I find it hard to relax. Most of my days, I'm walking with tightness in my chest, stomach and all that. In rare moments, I can let go and relax more, and that makes a big difference, it gives me more energy.

Me Vs DiffuseThinning

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As of now, I believe all hairloss has halted in the last 4 weeks, but a lot of damege is already done. I see nothing in the showers.
This morning, I noticed a few new baby hairs grown on the top of my forehead and around my temples.
Remaining optimistic. I will make it of primary importance to minimize stress in my life.

@Me Vs DiffuseThinning So are you saying I should find out what hairline did my grand grand fathers had?
@DoctorHouse Thanks. I'd say my father wasn't diffuse thinning almost at all. He beat cancer the first time, did chemo. Barely lost any hair even then.
Not sure how hair texture can be assessed, but it does feel more coarse in the last months.

I have general & social anxiety, and self-image obsession too. I find it hard to relax. Most of my days, I'm walking with tightness in my chest, stomach and all that. In rare moments, I can let go and relax more, and that makes a big difference, it gives me more energy.
Your great grandma could have been carrying the gene, lol. I know that sounds fucked up, but it’s such a common and dominant gene bro.

Baldy12345

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Are u on any medication?

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Baldy12345 I wasn't until now.
I'm now taking low-dose Levothyroxine and Vit. E(prescribed) together with some supplements: Vit. D3, K2, Magnesium Glycinate & Aspirin.
I also very recently started incorporating other habits such as brushing / massaging my scalp with a wooden brus and applying organic ACV (cider vinegar) topically.
I figured my hair thinning started (1.5 - 2 years ago) by the time I completely abandoned the use of a comb, idk.

@Me Vs DiffuseThinning How would I determine that? Isn't the gene passed on by / to males? Would a 23andme test offer more insight? I'd be willing to spend the cash on the test

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.