How Is This Possible - Receding Hairline With Great Hair Genetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confused kid

My Regimen
Reaction score
My father had a full head of hair until he died (prematurely, at 52). Both my grandfathers (from father's side and mother's side) also had a full head of hair well into their 80's and they remained NW1.5-2 until they died.
I am 28 and started seeing progressive recession at the temples and thinning on the top of the crown about 2 years ago and it's progressing for worse.
It never occured to me that I would have male pattern baldness (I don't have any bald spots), but it seems like I am.

How is this possible? I was sure I would never lose my hair because of great genetics in my family.
Could it be purely triggered by lifestyle / nutrition? I suffer from chronic stress / anxiety / low-level depression since my teen years, so that maybe mattered.
I think stress is a huge factor even with great genetics. My dad has been stressing nonstop for about 25 years because of his job. His brother is a Norwood 1 and his dad was a Norwood 0 his whole life. My uncle has a much more relaxed job but my dad is losing hair fast so I think stress is a big part

lalala123456789

My Regimen
Reaction score
i dont understan dpeople say this guy is a norwood 1 yet my hairline is more receded than his ( check my post histroy)

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
mature hairline
it is OK for me
I will post pics of my wet hair this week cause I do still believe I have legit reasons to worry

Extra Backstory:
About 2 yrs ago, I experienced uncomfortable itchiness (+ heavy dandruff) on my scalp so I went to the dermathologist. She diagnosted me with Seborrheic Dermatitis and prescribed me Diprosalic. Used it for a while, but whenever I quit using it, the dandruff and itchiness came back.

During these 2 years, I improved my lifestyle:

• started hitting the gym regularly and overall being more physically active
  • Started improving my diet, eating more whole-foods and less processed / junk foods
My Dermatitis slowly faded and it's now minimally active. I still have some dandruff, but much less (my barber confirmed this)
About 1 yr ago, I started seeing hair folicles falling out during the shower. That's when my hair started thinning. I quit creating when I noticed this.
The falling slowly reduced after a few months and at this point, I still see some hair loss during shower, but it's not very bad

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will post pics of my wet hair this week cause I do still believe I have legit reasons to worry

Extra Backstory:
About 2 yrs ago, I experienced uncomfortable itchiness (+ heavy dandruff) on my scalp so I went to the dermathologist. She diagnosted me with Seborrheic Dermatitis and prescribed me Diprosalic. Used it for a while, but whenever I quit using it, the dandruff and itchiness came back.

During these 2 years, I improved my lifestyle:

• started hitting the gym regularly and overall being more physically active
  • Started improving my diet, eating more whole-foods and less processed / junk foods
My Dermatitis slowly faded and it's now minimally active. I still have some dandruff, but much less (my barber confirmed this)
About 1 yr ago, I started seeing hair folicles falling out during the shower. That's when my hair started thinning. I quit creating when I noticed this.
The falling slowly reduced after a few months and at this point, I still see some hair loss during shower, but it's not very bad

Well, we´ll see the images, but you must know that healthy hair has different phases
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_growth

I could hair less

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My father had a full head of hair until he died (prematurely, at 52). Both my grandfathers (from father's side and mother's side) also had a full head of hair well into their 80's and they remained NW1.5-2 until they died.
I am 28 and started seeing progressive recession at the temples and thinning on the top of the crown about 2 years ago and it's progressing for worse.
It never occured to me that I would have male pattern baldness (I don't have any bald spots), but it seems like I am.

How is this possible? I was sure I would never lose my hair because of great genetics in my family.
Could it be purely triggered by lifestyle / nutrition? I suffer from chronic stress / anxiety / low-level depression since my teen years, so that maybe mattered.

you need mental help...

Reanu

My Regimen
Reaction score
lol, when you got angry at my pics I though you were very high in the Norwood scale, bro. Your hair looks better than mine!

I'm not going to act the way you did but instead, I'll try to help you.
First, my condolences to you and your family.
Usually when hairloss is diet/lifestyle related it triggers Telogen Effluvium, which usually thins hair ALL over your scalp (possibly even in areas not affected by male pattern baldness, like sides and back). Do you feel you've been diffusely thinning lately?

Also, have you ever had your thyroid hormones checked? Longterm anxiety/low-level depression can be indicative of hypothyroidism, which may cause some hairloss
If it isn't of one these two scenarios, then I'm sorry, OP, but you probably have inherited the male pattern baldness genes from somewhere. The only way to truly know is to go to a derm and have your temples/scalp checked at a microscopic level (to assess miniaturization)

(that being said, your temples are minimally receded and you still have a very straight hairline, even if it's male pattern baldness you still have a high probability of maintaining with the existing treatments)

Good luck

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definition of a mature hairline tbh. Looks like a NW1.5/NW2 in your vid but it still looks almost non-recessed because you have insane density. Nearly a perfect head of hear. No thinning behind the hairline ( =>balding). It's okay man.
If you're not trolling you have BDD tbh

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may be thinning, you're the only one here that knows how thick your hair was before this, but your hair looks better than 99% of people your age, including those with no hair loss.

My advice, if you're convinced you're receding and your hair is continuing to thin then get on finasteride, but if it is not progressing anymore than the mature hairline than the finasteride is honestly useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.