Histogen Interview w/ Dr. Gail Naughton

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What could Histogen mean for you if you are a Norwood 2 and just looking to maintain?

I personally think it will be a big help, granted anything I or anyone else says is pure speculation. You also have to assume the pictures in her presentation are best case scenarios, but she does have numerical data to back it up the trial as a whole.

I think a combination of Histogen and Replicel would be great.

We should all remain rational with our opinions towards all these treatments. Making baseless opinions slamming these researchers without any knowledge is counter-productive in my opinion.

Some people are down on Histogen, understandably because as we all know hair loss can be traumatic, but after listening to Hellouser's interview I am optimistic. I think some people on the forum want a "cure" that will bring them back to a NW0 overnight and if a treatment doesn't show that potential they automatically disregard it which is wrong.

With all these potential treatments out there some people will probably respond better to certain treatments than others. The good thing is that multiple potential treatments seem to have fairly good news and more importantly are moving forward (some slower than others).

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I imagine none of these treatments will be a one size fits all, but rather you will have to do a combination of them to get a full head of hair back. Even if that will possible with a combo of treatments, rather than just one, it will still be a great thing.

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I imagine none of these treatments will be a one size fits all, but rather you will have to do a combination of them to get a full head of hair back. Even if that will possible with a combo of treatments, rather than just one, it will still be a great thing.

I probably won't need a future hair transplant and could get back a full head of hair with the regimen I'm on if Histogen is really capable of regrowing so much hair.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. Sadly, I'm both receding and diffusing so I am sort of a NW2, with the front island diffusely thinned out, though I still have a center hairline with fuzz in temples. But I also thin in the crown region slightly, and basically my hair density has gone down all over the top of my head, even lost some density on the sides. Though I have a thyroid issue so that could contribute to the other hair loss.

But I am pretty sure with a bullet-proof maintenance drug and a thickening of the frontal island I could pass for a "full-head" again easily, even if I don't have 100% of my density back. I just want the damn front fixed and a solid hairline.

DDobler

Established Member
Reaction score
Problem is there is no bullet-proof maintenance drug, and am not sure there will be something like that...
No finasteride,no dutasteride,no seti were proved to 100% stop hairloss in 100% of the users.
I have read on many users that even finasteride and dutasteride didn't stop their hair from falling

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I didn't say it exists, but that it might come with some of these new drugs. The jury is still out on Seti and we will see about Samumed.

DDobler

Established Member
Reaction score
Not tryint to let the people here down or something, but I dont think Seti will stop hairloss. It is too weak crth antagonist and to block all pgd2 in your scalp u need much more than this. I even think it will not be as effective as finasteride (and also finasteride doesn't help to anyone).

Regarding to Samumed - it is not for stopping hair loss, it is for wnt pathway signaling (i.e growth simulate)

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Problem is there is no bullet-proof maintenance drug, and am not sure there will be something like that...
No finasteride,no dutasteride,no seti were proved to 100% stop hairloss in 100% of the users.
I have read on many users that even finasteride and dutasteride didn't stop their hair from falling

If Replicel works as advertised I believe that will be your solution to a maintenance drug/procedure.

From listening to the Histogen and Replicel interviews it seems that Histogen is geared more towards regrowth and Replicel more towards maintenance (although Replicel may show "regrowth" as well by saving follicles that were in their way out similar to finasteride).

If my assumption is correct it would make sense to recieve Histogen first to regrow hair and then get Replicel to make follicles immune. That's why some people, including the researchers, have mentioned that these two procedures have the potential to work very well synergistically.

Just my personal take on things...

rush4life

Reaction score
So I am assuming that is everything for the news from the conference. Hellouser, at your leisure, could you let us know out of everything you saw and everyone you talked to what are the things you are most excited about. Frankly I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff and would just like the opinion of the person who went. What is thoughts on everything? Cheers man.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not tryint to let the people here down or something, but I dont think Seti will stop hairloss. It is too weak crth antagonist and to block all pgd2 in your scalp u need much more than this. I even think it will not be as effective as finasteride (and also finasteride doesn't help to anyone).

Regarding to Samumed - it is not for stopping hair loss, it is for wnt pathway signaling (i.e growth simulate)

I guess you should tell Kythera that their drug is a piece of garbage and that they should stop drop the whole thing. Clearly they are just dumb fools who like to waste their capital on drugs which have no chance of working.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I am assuming that is everything for the news from the conference. Hellouser, at your leisure, could you let us know out of everything you saw and everyone you talked to what are the things you are most excited about. Frankly I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff and would just like the opinion of the person who went. What is thoughts on everything? Cheers man.

Nope, there's more to come, HairLossTalk.com admin will be posting videos on the HairLossTalk.com youtube channel. There are 8 videos in the works right now with many many more to come. I think the best one will be from Dr. Sarah Millar and Gina Del Canto.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, there's more to come, HairLossTalk.com admin will be posting videos on the HairLossTalk.com youtube channel. There are 8 videos in the works right now with many many more to come. I think the best one will be from Dr. Sarah Millar and Gina Del Canto.

Wow! Cool!

I though we already got some solid news (Histogen, Samumed, Replicel) but there's more to come. This was a much better congress than last year's congress.

How about wetting our beak a little by Giving us general hints about what Sarah Miller and Gina Del Canto had to say.

Also, did anyone demonstrate a major improvement in mass-pass cell culture hair inductivity?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
How about wetting our beak a little by Giving us general hints about what Sarah Miller and Gina Del Canto had to say.

Look into 'Simvastatin'

That's all for me as a small teaser ;)

whatwhat

Reaction score
Look into 'Simvastatin'

That's all for me as a small teaser ;)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17941369

[h=3]Abstract[/h]<abstracttext>Alopecia areata is an organ specific autoimmune disease in which hair is lost in various patterns. Its most extreme form, alopecia universalis, is the total loss of all scalp and body hair. This form of the condition is very resistant to treatment and spontaneous remission is quite rare. The following is a case of a 54-year-old male with longstanding alopecia universalis who began to grow dense hair on his scalp as well as patchy hair growth on his face, pubic and axillary areas one month after starting a course of simvastatin 40 mg and ezetimibe 10 mg daily prescribed for his hyperlipidemia. For 2 years prior to starting the combination drug, he had taken simvastatin 40 mg alone without evidence of any hair growth. The combination of simvastatin and ezetimibe has previously demonstrated synergistic immunomodulatory effects, which most likely accounts for the clinical response in this case.</abstracttext>

Interesting.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
Isn't simvastatin a cholesterol medication?

Yes.

I work for a hospital. Pharmacy issues are part of my job and yes Simvastatin acts by reducing cholesterol in order to prevent heart attacks. I can't imagine what Simvastatin could possibly have to do with hair but some drugs have multiple actions so it's possible that Simvastatin may do things besides lower cholesterol. We have to wait to see what Hellouser shows us about it.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17941369

Abstract

<abstracttext>Alopecia areata is an organ specific autoimmune disease in which hair is lost in various patterns. Its most extreme form, alopecia universalis, is the total loss of all scalp and body hair. This form of the condition is very resistant to treatment and spontaneous remission is quite rare. The following is a case of a 54-year-old male with longstanding alopecia universalis who began to grow dense hair on his scalp as well as patchy hair growth on his face, pubic and axillary areas one month after starting a course of simvastatin 40 mg and ezetimibe 10 mg daily prescribed for his hyperlipidemia. For 2 years prior to starting the combination drug, he had taken simvastatin 40 mg alone without evidence of any hair growth. The combination of simvastatin and ezetimibe has previously demonstrated synergistic immunomodulatory effects, which most likely accounts for the clinical response in this case.</abstracttext>

Interesting.

I know that Alopecia Areata is a major problem for the people dealing with it but only a few of us here are focused on Alopecia Areata. If Simvastatin only demonstrated efficacy on Alopecia Areata I doubt that Hellouser would be excited about it. I think it maybe exhibited at least "some" efficacy in Androgenetic Alopecia or else Hellouser would not be excited about it.

whatwhat

Reaction score
Yes.

I work for a hospital. Pharmacy issues are part of my job and yes Simvastatin acts by reducing cholesterol in order to prevent heart attacks. I can't imagine what Simvastatin could possibly have to do with hair but some drugs have multiple actions so it's possible that Simvastatin may do things besides lower cholesterol. We have to wait to see what Hellouser shows us about it.

- - - Updated - - -

I know that Alopecia Areata is a major problem for the people dealing with it but only a few of us here are focused on Alopecia Areata. If Simvastatin only demonstrated efficacy on Alopecia Areata I doubt that Hellouser would be excited about it. I think it maybe exhibited at least "some" efficacy in Androgenetic Alopecia or else Hellouser would not be excited about it.
Oh I know. I just thought that maybe it was one of those things where it could maybe be used for both, how sometimes doctors will prescribe minoxidil for Alopecia Areata, but it's also effective for male pattern baldness etc.

GoodHurr

Reaction score
Not trying to read 10 pages of posts. Can someone just answer 1 question for me:

How long before HSC/Histogen is available at a dermatologist/doctors office?