Histogen Interview w/ Dr. Gail Naughton

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is regrowth but how much is still a question, we'll just have to wait until they share scalp photos taken with a microscope.

Keep this in mind:

Histogen's HSC relies on it being injected in a pre-anagen stage. So, multiple injections may be necessary to get the injections 'right on schedule'. Perhaps many will affect all follicles eventually. We'll see eventually, but I'm really excited for Histogen.

Emu

Established Member
Reaction score
The hair has been dyed for sure! In the first photo his hair is a brown and the second photo his hair is dark brown to black..

I know it's a fake cos when my hair was at its worse,I would dye my hair and I would go from thinning hair to a much fuller look similar to the dudes photo they have provided.

Im not saying that Histogen doesn't work just the photo is misleading.. So I can't trust this company now.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hair has been dyed for sure! In the first photo his hair is a brown and the second photo his hair is dark brown to black..

I know it's a fake cos when my hair was at its worse,I would dye my hair and I would go from thinning hair to a much fuller look similar to the dudes photo they have provided.

Im not saying that Histogen doesn't work just the photo is misleading.. So I can't trust this company now.

Camera settings like exposure and especially white balances will affect colours, which is why, like I've said in other threads, that making a 100% perfectly replicated 'after' photo is almost impossible. You'd need the exact same amount of light, the same bulbs with the same temperatures, the same camera, the same lens, the same distance from the subject, the same shutter speed, the same ISO setting, the same focal length, the same aperture setting, and the same position of the subject relative to the lighting in the room. You are NOT likely to do that many months apart. Take it from me as I do professional photography as well. What you're expecting is a controlled environment. But really, why would you need to have that? The difference is either cosmetically noticeable or not... and Histogen's results are clearly noticeable.

Whatever the case me be, even if you dyed the guys hair in the before photo, there is absolutely no way he could have gotten that kind of growth in the front. No amount of combing over could do that, and there is no combing over present in the photo either. There's far too little hair in the front/forelock to do any kind of combover. These speculations really are stretching it, and I gotta be honest... some of these speculative comments make me laugh. The results are pretty clear; HSC definitely works VERY well.

Dragonborn

Reaction score
Camera settings like exposure and especially white balances will affect colours, which is why, like I've said in other threads, that making a 100% perfectly replicated 'after' photo is almost impossible. You'd need the exact same amount of light, the same bulbs with the same temperatures, the same camera, the same lens, the same distance from the subject, the same shutter speed, the same ISO setting, the same focal length, the same aperture setting, and the same position of the subject relative to the lighting in the room. You are NOT likely to do that many months apart. Take it from me as I do professional photography as well. What you're expecting is a controlled environment. But really, why would you need to have that? The difference is either cosmetically noticeable or not... and Histogen's results are clearly noticeable.

Whatever the case me be, even if you dyed the guys hair in the before photo, there is absolutely no way he could have gotten that kind of growth in the front. No amount of combing over could do that, and there is no combing over present in the photo either. There's far too little hair in the front/forelock to do any kind of combover. These speculations really are stretching it, and I gotta be honest... some of these speculative comments make me laugh. The results are pretty clear; HSC definitely works VERY well.
I'm with you 100%. The results are definitely cosmetically significant. That said Histogen might not be a cure but combining it with other treatments and eventually pilofocus might lead to low Norwood or full head of hair.

newplayer

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm backing this up 100% and I'm a graphic designer with history in professional photography.
The results are amazing, I stand by this claim. Of course, I'm hoping to see more photos from male subjects.

darwin101

Reaction score
So Histogen also presented several slides that had trial data on hair growth from before and after? Why is no one analyzing the actual data instead of this one photo? What does the data presented tell us? Someone a little brighter than myself should start discussing that!

Again, and I'm a little surprised I have been ignored, what does the overall efficacy of the drug based on clinical trial data tell us about the treatment? Let's just ignore the ONE photo for a sec, and look at the broader picture. Does the data presented tell us histogen works?

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Again, and I'm a little surprised I have been ignored, what does the overall efficacy of the drug based on clinical trial data tell us about the treatment? Let's just ignore the ONE photo for a sec, and look at the broader picture. Does the data presented tell us histogen works?

The data does say it works but minoxidil performs better based on the data presented.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
The data does say it works but minoxidil performs better based on the data presented.
Yeah but at least you don't have to apply HSC twice a day for your whole life. The less we have to rely on minoxidil for regrowth is in big plus in my mind or maybe the results would be even better with minoxidil or finasteride. These are results from a stand alone treatment. We have to take into account that some of these new treatments might even work better with other treatments at the same time.

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score

Can you elaborate on this? I though minoxidil is not actually capable of growing more hair on your head but it activates the hair's anagen phase and makes it stay longer in that phase so it seems temporarily that you have more hair. But eventually you will lose that hair as well.

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
First thanks to Hellouser for his efforts and hard work here.

I think the Histogen data is very interesting. They don't really pin down the precise action of the injected "cocktail", but i would point out something significant that can be seen in the close up pics on their website.

First i should explain the background to my own views for those who don't already know. I think hair loss research took a wrong turn many years ago, and this is the reason for the on-going delay in producing more effective treatments. My personal critique of historic hair research can be read here.

https://independent.academia.edu/StephenFoote/Papers

The simple fact is that hair loss research is all about finding the cause of restricted growth of the anagen follicle. Yet current hair growth research ignores the most basic tissue growth control of all in recognised Physiology. According to mainstream science this universal control has the final say on all normal tissue enlargement in-vivo, and so must also apply to hair follicle enlargement in-vivo.

This is described in my article linked above, and basically means to increase hair growth we need to shrink the tissue around the follicles. One clear sign of tissue shrinkage is a crazing or wrinkling of the skin. People are aware of this effect with Minoxidil.

The baseline and one year close up pictures on the histogen site, also clearly show this wrinkling of the skin in the after one year picture. http://www.histogen.com/applications/hsc.htm

Best to copy save then enlarge to see in detail.

The other important thing about this universal growth control is that any attempts to get around it will fail, or be deemed to dangerous to be licensed. This spatial growth control prevents tissue growth from invading other tissues, and only cancer cells can get around this. There is some relaxation of this control in the healing process, and this is in line with the wounding effects being researched in hair growth.

But messing with the WNT's pathway and other strategies to get around this natural growth restriction, is asking for trouble and not necessary anyway.

With a little focused research on reducing the external conditions that restrict follicle growth, we could have more effective, cheaper, and safer treatments.

TheShining

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't you guys see that diagonal line that goes from the "W" of week till the blue box on the table at the left corner? It's like they used a selection and made the right side darker.

Give me one reason of why they would darken a selection of the picture and not the full picture..? There is absolutely no logic behind that.

resu

Reaction score
Maybe they were clumsy when editing the pics or maybe it's an optical illusion or camera glitch.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to listen to this in it's entirety until now, but I have to say, WOW, can't believe you thought of me when you interviewed her! I'm very touched that you thought of me and mentioned me in the interview - THANKS a million! I have said it before but I'll say it again; it truly means a LOT that you did this for us. I'm excited about the future treatments and keep my fingers crossed we will have access to better treatments in as short amount of time as possible. Again, THANK YOU.

hiitsjam

Reaction score
Here is another interview with Dr. Gail Naughton on BTT https://www.*********talk.com/threa...015-World-Congress-Presentation-and-Interview

After listening the whole interview (she has also presented the recent Histogen presentations), I am getting a great confidence in histogen now. I have been extremely negative about this company in the past but the recent results are quite impressive both from efficacy and safety perspective.

To me it seems like within few years, this product should be out in the market. I am very excited :)

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's what I should have addressed with Dr. Naughton, I never got a chance to ask more about THAT case. However, during the congress presentation she had, I actually went up to the mic and asked if she could comment further. If Dr. Naughton gives me permission to post the audio recording from that, I'll post it all along with the Q&A that followed after.

HOWEVER, I've NEVER seen that kind of result... ever. It's awesome regardless and who knows how well further injections would work and in conjunction with other things like finasteride, minoxidil or Setipiprant. Also, that result is really going to depend on WHERE exactly injections were made.

Any update on the bold text quoted above? I know you can't post it without her permission but I'm assuming it could be categorized as good news versus bad news...?

Yes, approx. 2017 at the earliest. Since FDA requires another trial, then USA would get it 2018 earliest.

Forgive my ignorance but does Mexico have it's own government regulatory institute similar to the FDA or do they work in conjunction with the US FDA? I have to listen to the interview again but from what I think I remember Dr. Naughton said they haven't started any approval process in Mexico yet but she's hopeful it may be available there sometime in 2017. I'm not following how that would be possible unless Mexico would be satisfied by the trials she's already completed in the US. If you could further explain your knowledge/take on this it would be much appreciated.

I'm very hopeful for all of this, I'm just seeking a better understanding for myself. It would be wonderful for all of us located in North/Central/South America to have a closer treatment available to us as opposed to anything coming to fruition in Japan. It can save us all some money while buying us time for treatments to be approved in the US/Canada.

Again hellouser, I'd like to thank you on behalf of everyone for doing this. I don't post much on the forums but I frequent them a lot and thank you and all the other members that provide us with accurate information instead of just hearsay.

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am very excited about Histogen esp. Dr Ziering's result - it's breathtaking. Looked it up and Ziering is in his 50's! I'm 51 and have a little more in front, but less in crown, compared to Ziering pre-treatment.

One question I thought of after reading about cell therapy tourism in countries like Mexico offering unproven procedures is, has Histogen followed FDA regulations for clinical trials and, are they seeking the legal ability to advertise Histogen HSC in the USA? If so, which states are they looking at for release? I do understand that they want to license the procedure to another party, and so would it be a large company, like Bosley or a chain of clinics like Bosley?

Also, would Clinics in Mexico participate in ongoing clinical trials to prove efficacy, or would they be strictly for-profit clinics?

In which country's lab would injectable HSC be manufactured, Mexico or USA?

Thanks to to hellouser for all of this wonderful news and insight.

Last edited:

INT

Reaction score
What could Histogen mean for you if you are a Norwood 2 and just looking to maintain?