Having great hair makes you look really young.....

Pondle

Reaction score
JayMan, you need the "trinity" of a good, photostable and UVA protective sunscreen, a retinoid product for night-time use (order a Retin-A cream from an online pharmacy) and maybe an antioxidant serum like SkinCeuticals vit C.

Here's tetrakis' (from makeupalley.com) advice:

Question: What is is the minimum routine necessary to prevent aging of the skin?
Answers: My advice is that you don't need to use a 'specific line' to combat and prevent aging . You only need to know what ingredients really *work* and what's hype =)

The general consensus on the boards is that there are at least 3 things that you need to prevent aging. All of these 3 things are clinically (medically and scientifically) proven to keep your skin young.

1) SUNSCREEN. This is probably the most important. Some experts estimate that daily sunscreen use can cut down on as much as 80-90% of aging. Please see the ''sunscreens" notepad and 'sunscreenfaq' notepad on makeupalley.com for more information.

2) antioxidants. Oxidation is another key factor that causes damage to our DNA and tissue which = aging. The most clinically relevant antioxidant is vitamin C . It has been shown to further protect the skin, above and beyond what s/s can do, from UV damage when used in the morning. It also promotes collagen production and evening of the skin tone . Reference here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum
Also, see what C can do for the skin here:
http://www.makeupalley.com/account/pics ... ure=441181
This woman had extensive sun damage and erythmea before treatment. Notice the decrease in inflammation and deep lines. I believe the formula used in this study is similar to the skinmedica anhydrous C formula.
It is best to ask the ladies on the skincare board for vitamin C serum recommendations if you wish to buy a commerical one. My favorites are: Skinceuticals C and E Ferulic. I cannot recommend it personally (allergy to one of the ingredients), but I will say that it has good research showing it is an extremely powerful antioxidant potion. Link here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum
And Skinmedica vitamin C complex. I would recommend the skinceuticals for oily skin, skinmedica for dry. See a picture of what skinmedica can do in my profile or in the link above (that's not me, by the way, it's a photo from a published paper =).
Also, recipies to make cheap vitamin C at home (since commercial formulas can be darned expensive) here:

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/StAmourOwl/

3) retinoids. You can see the Q & A section below for more information about all the functions of retinoids in the skin. 20s is a good time to start using an OTC retinoid to prevent aging and treat any photoaging you may have accumulated already (and most of us accumulate most of our UV-related damage before we hit our 20s...all those years of runninng around with no s/s on as a kid =(. Some people will tell you that 20s is too young to start with retinoids, but these people are telling you this as a matter of opinion, not fact. The medical community advises that teens and 20s is a great time to begin this form of prevention and treatment.

My favorite OTC retinoids are avene's retinaldehyde products. Read more about ingredients and where to get them here:

http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/beethovengirl/

and how they work below in the Q and A section.

You could try other OTC retinoids like *retinol* (neutrogena and RoC both make good formulas) if you don't want to order retinaldehyde products, but elsewhere in my notepad I specifically address why retinaldehyde is better than retinol (at least, when they are at matched concentrations) in the Q & A section. Not to say that retinol doesn't have some benefit for the skin, but I believe retinaldehyde is better (unless you can get your hands on an outrageous concentration of retinol...highest I have seen is from skinceuticals).

Nathaniel

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pondle does that actually work? Sunscreen has to be applied even if you don't go out to the sun everyday?

Pondle

Reaction score
Nathaniel said:
Pondle does that actually work? Sunscreen has to be applied even if you don't go out to the sun everyday?

Yes because UVA is present all year round, in all weather conditions and it can penetrate through clouds and windows.

G

HairRebirth said:
Taugenicts you are more than right!!!

but let me add that this fact is not limited to old guys.

3 years before, I was a victim of hairloss. My hair was always making me look like #7*^//. Then I had a transplant, I started finasteride and I discovered Dermatch, Hair so Real etc. Today, I look like 20. Because I can have (with the help of the concealers) a head full of hair and create modern styles.

But, let me also say that if you really want to look younger you have also to discover a forum specialized in anti0aging creams and therapies and become experts there too!! And if you think that its a shame for a man to use these products, enjoy your wrinkles!!!
:hairy:

Yeah, I definetly gotta do that. I give a sh*t about whether some people thinks this is only for gays. I would love to stay forever young. Thanks for the advice and good luck for your hair and skin!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
HairRebirth said:
But, let me also say that if you really want to look younger you have also to discover a forum specialized in anti0aging creams and therapies and become experts there too!! And if you think that its a shame for a man to use these products, enjoy your wrinkles!!!

Yeah, I definetly gotta do that. I give a $#iT about whether some people thinks this is only for gays. I would love to stay forever young. Thanks for the advice and good luck for your hair and skin!

You are destined for dissapointment. This can only add to your compulsive disorders.

HairRebirth

Established Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
HairRebirth said:
Taugenicts you are more than right!!!

but let me add that this fact is not limited to old guys.

3 years before, I was a victim of hairloss. My hair was always making me look like #7*^//. Then I had a transplant, I started finasteride and I discovered Dermatch, Hair so Real etc. Today, I look like 20. Because I can have (with the help of the concealers) a head full of hair and create modern styles.

Yeah, I definetly gotta do that. I give a $#iT about whether some people thinks this is only for gays. I would love to stay forever young. Thanks for the advice and good luck for your hair and skin!

Thanks mate! Most people enjoy the years of youth and when it comes to look old and tired, then they start to go to the gyms, try to find a magic cream for wrinkles or magic cure for baldness! Sorry, guys! Doesnt work like that! Everybody looks young between 20-35. But, if you want to look like 30 at the age of 40 etc., then you have to start caring about your skin from the age of 25, when the process of aging starts..And its so fu%*? simple to do that!! If you care about your body, fitness, skin, diet as much as you care about your hair, you will realize the gain in the future (not now..). The only problem is to receive the right information and have the discipline to follow some simple routines.. (I am 28 and I put myself in this process because I am also a dancer, performer etc) but everyboy has the right to look and feel young, fit, confident etc. Its a matter of discipline and respect to yourself, not a matter of narcissism. You dont have to be paranoid in order to protect your pure skin from the sun!! You dont have to be paranoid to want your hair look nice and healthy! You dont have to be paranoid to want girls love you! I know...I know...the personality is more important than a great face or body...but a great mind and personality compined with a great body and face is the best. Its just a matter of taking the right info about treating yourself well. And this includes also diet, fitness, habits etc.
Anyway, everybody has brain and does what he wants...
A forum about skin protection, anti-aging therapies etc. quite similar and serious to hairlosstalk is this:

http://www.smartskincare.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Cheers :hairy:

Pondle

Reaction score
I totally agree with hairebirth. It's not possible to avoid the ageing process, but it is possible to delay some of the worst effects of time by following a good anti-ageing regimen. In my earlier post I mentioned a pretty simple three step routine that's reasonably straightforward and shouldn't break the bank:

1. Wear a good UVA protective sunscreen everyday. In the US, that means either La Roche Posay Anthelios SX or Neutrogena Dry Touch with Helioplex.
2. Use an antioxidant serum like Skinceuticals CE Ferulic or Skinmedica Vitamin C complex.
3. Use a retinoid product at night. You can get Retin-A creams and gels at most internet pharmacies.

Of course, you should generally try to eat well and exercise regularly in addition to this!

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i use shisedo sunscreen ,do you know if its good?
oh, and i think one thing you forgot to mention that is very importent is to take special care of the eye skin, its usually the first to show signs of aging so it's important
all of my freinds eyes looks wrinkly allready

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
most of this stuff is all genetic...I noticed some of my friends already gettin wrinkles around their eyes...where as I have no wrinkles yet and I never use sun screen.

Pondle

Reaction score
roki said:
i use shisedo sunscreen ,do you know if its good?
oh, and i think one thing you forgot to mention that is very importent is to take special care of the eye skin, its usually the first to show signs of aging so it's important
all of my freinds eyes looks wrinkly allready

Shiseido is OK, but there are better, more UVA-protective sunscreens out there. This is the list of US sunscreens on makeupalley.com's sunscreen notepad:

US Sunscreens with an Organic/"Chemical" filter

La Roche Posay Anthelios SX SPF 15/PPD 15 Daily Moisturizer. The only American sunscreen that contains Mexoryl SX. Full ingredients listed at link. Available online (SkincareRx.com offers a 20% discount to MUAers with code MUA20) and in select CVS stores in most states (find the store nearest you here)

Shiseido SPF 55 PA+++, estimated PPD 8; Active ingredients: 7.4% OMC, 13.9% ZnO (avail. in department stores). Full ingredients listed in Productville.

Shiseido SPF 55 Lotion is best for oily skin, while Shiseido SPF 55 cream is most appropriate for normal-oily skins and may be slightly drying for drier skins. Shiseido SPF 55 has an impressive matte finish, is very substantive, and is highly fragranced.

Cetaphil SPF 15 estimated PPD 8: 10% OCTO, 3% BMDM (avail. in drugstores).
Cetaphil is best for normal/dry skins.

Vichy Capital Soleil spf 15, estimated PPD 8; Active ingredients: 3% BMDM, 10% OCTO, 5% octisalate. (at CVS)

Kiehl's Vital Sun spf 15 lotion and spray, estimated PPD 8; Active ingredients: 10% OCTO, 3% BMDM, 5% octisalate. Full ingredients at: http://www.kiehls.com ('Zoom Label').

Ombrelle Sport Spray and Kiehl's Vital Sun Spray SPF 15, estimated PPD 8: 10% OCTO, 3% BMDM, 5% octisalate
similar formulations, both alcohol-based, most appropriate for oily, breakout-prone skin

There are also some Biotherm and Lancome formulations that contain photostabilized avobenzone, such as Lancome Bienfait Multi-Vital SPF 30 (avobenzone 3%, octisalate 5%, octocrylene 7%).

These sunscreens contain stabilized avobenzone but are recommended with reservations due to the presence of oxybenzone/benzophenone-3:

Kiehl's Vital Sun spray spf 25; Active ingredients: 6% OXY, 3% BMDM, 10% OCTO, 5% octisalate.

Kiehl's Vital Sun spf 30; Active ingredients: 3% BMDM, 6% OXY, 10% OCTO, 5% octisalate.

Vichy Capital Soleil Spray spf 28; Active ingredients: 3% BMDM, 10% OCTO, 5% octisalate, 6% OXY (CVS).

Coppertone Oil-Free Faces spf 30; Active ingredients: 5% OCTO, 2% BMDM, 5% octisalate, 4.5% OXY, 8% homosalate (avail. in drugstores)

Coppertone Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (13%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (7%), Oxybenzone (4%)

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 55 [NOT the SPF 30 and SPF 45, which are NOT photostable]: Avobenzone 3.0%, Homosalate 10.0%, Octisalate 5.0%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Oxybenzone 6.0%

Neutrogena Age Shield Sunblock, SPF 30 and SPF 45: Avobenzone 3.0%, Homosalate 8.0%, Octisalate 4.0%, Octocrylene 2.35%, Oxybenzone 5.0%.

Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Mist Spray SPF 45 is also photostable and has similar active ingredients.

Aveeno Sunblock Lotion SPF 30: Avobenzone 3.0%, Homosalate 10.0%, Octisalate 5.0%, Octocrylene 2.35%, Oxybenzone 5.0%

Hawaiian Tropic Oil-Free Faces SPF 30, Sheer Reflections Formula: Homosalate 10%, Oxybenzone 5%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 2% and Octocrylene 1.6%

There are several Coppertone and hair transplant sunscreens with avobenzone and octocrylene listed as active ingredients (with no octinoxate), so they may contain stabilized avobenzone, depending on the %age of octocrylene.

Ocean Potion Anti-Aging Sun Block SPF 50; Active Ingredients: Homosalate - 10%, Octisalate - 5%, Oxybenzone - 5%, Octocrylene - 2%, Avobenzone - 2%

NO-AD Maximum Sunblock Lotion, SPF 45: Homosalate 15%, Oxybenzone 6%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 2%, Octocrylene 1.95%.

Physical Sunscreens (for v. sensitive skins)

Shiseido FT The Sun Screen Mild SPF 50+ PA+++ (PPD >8): ZnO, TiO2.
Asia only but available on ebay. reportedly matte but may be drying for dry skins.

DHC White Sunscreen SPF 25 PA+++ (PPD >8): 10% ZnO and 5% TiO2.
DHC White is reportedly matte, even on oily skin, and can be drying.

Fancl Sunguard SPF 30 PA+++ (PPD >8): 14% ZnO and 5% TiO2.
Fancl Sunguard is reportedly matte and may be drying for dry skins.

Other than those listed above, the other all-physical formulations do not have labeled PPD ratings of PA+++ (PPD >8). Most have an estimated PPD between 6 and 8, based on Ciba's PPD data, unless otherwise indicated. Please contact me if you believe any of these PPDs are inaccurate.

Please refer to sunscreenFAQ for more info on estimating PPD. Formulations with a higher amount of ZnO are more likely to be UVA-I protective but ZnO-only formulations will likely have lower PPDs.

Clinique Active White Lab Solutions Super City Block SPF 30 PA++; Active Ingredients: 11.6% ZnO, 7.3% TiO2

Peter Thomas Roth Titanium Dioxide sunblock spf 30; Active Ingredients: 12% ZnO, 5% TiO2.

Peter Thomas Roth Ultra Lite Titanium Dioxide sunblock spf 30; Active Ingredients: 7.5% TiO2, 6.5% ZnO.

June Jacobs Micronised Sheer spf 30; Active ingredients: 7.5% TiO2, 10% ZnO

Applied Therapeutics Sensitive Skin SPF 25 Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion: Zinc Oxide 9.7% (Z-Cote); Titanium Dioxide 3.9% (T-Cote)

Blue Lizard Baby spf 30: 10% ZnO, 5% TiO2.

Vanicream SPF 60: 7.5% ZnO, 7.5% TiO2.

Clarins Sun Care Cream Very High Protection for Children spf 30: 15.2% TiO2, 3% ZnO

Fallene COTZ spf 58: 10% TiO2, 4% ZnO, 5% iron oxide (http://www.totalblock.com; includes full ingredients)

Mustela Very High Protection spf 50: 14.4% TiO2, 7% ZnO, iron oxide (http://www.mustelausa.com; includes full ingredients)

Mustela spf 25; Active ingredients: 9.8% TiO2, 6% ZnO (full ingredients at http://www.mustelausa.com).

Megan Gale Invisible Zinc spf 30, estimated PPD 4-6; Active ingredients: 15.4% ZnO (AUS)

Vanicream SPF 15: Zinc Oxide (Z-Cote HP1) 8%; Titanium Dioxide (T-Cote 031) 3%. uses coated filters and appears to be a w/o emulsion.

Andrew Lessman's Solé Sunscreen SPF 20; estimated PPD 4-6: 15.52% ZnO
This sunscreen is reportedly cosmetically elegant.

Neutrogena Healthy Defense Daily Eye Cream SPF 30; estimated PPD 4-6: 10% ZnO -- appears to use Z-Cote HP1

Obagi Nu-Derm Physical UV Block SPF 32; estimated PPD 4-6: 18.5% ZnO

Epicuren Zinc Block spf 20; estimated PPD 4-6; Active ingredients 19% ZnO.
Epicuren is reportedly matte and excellent for both sensitive/dermatitis-prone and acne-prone skin, though there have been reports of sunburning while using it.

Skinceuticals Physical UV Defense spf 30 ; Active ingredients: 10% TiO2, 5% ZnO

Avene spf 25; Active ingredients: ZnO, TiO2 (available at CVS)

Recommended with reservations due to presence of polyacrylamide:

Linda Sy ZincO SPF 20, estimated PPD 4-6. Active ingredients: 14.5% ZnO

Topix Glycolix Elite Sunscreen spf 30, estimated PPD 4-6; Active ingredients: 17% ZnO

Pondle

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
most of this stuff is all genetic...I noticed some of my friends already gettin wrinkles around their eyes...where as I have no wrinkles yet and I never use sun screen.

It has been suggested that as much as 80% of the skin ageing we observe in the facial skin of older people is 'extrinsic' ageing due to cumulative sun exposure, and is not part of the intrinsic or chronological ageing process.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Pondle said:

It has been suggested that as much as 80% of the skin ageing we observe in the facial skin of older people is 'extrinsic' ageing due to cumulative sun exposure, and is not part of the intrinsic or chronological ageing process.

funny considering ive never used sun screen....I mean i have has used it a hand full of times...but not EVERYDAY.. and im always outside...not wrinkles...friends younger than I have wrinkles...

Ive seen older women how have fairly few wrinkles compared to other women in their age group? maybe the ones that don't wrinkle as much are using sunscreen everyday?

Some people just age better than others.

Pondle

Reaction score
Pondle said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":5df61]most of this stuff is all genetic...I noticed some of my friends already gettin wrinkles around their eyes...where as I have no wrinkles yet and I never use sun screen.

funny considering ive never used sun screen....I mean i have has used it a hand full of times...but not EVERYDAY.. and im always outside...not wrinkles...friends younger than I have wrinkles...

Ive seen older women how have fairly few wrinkles compared to other women in their age group? maybe the ones that don't wrinkle as much are using sunscreen everyday?

Some people just age better than others.[/quote:5df61]

It's true that some people age better than others. But UV does indisputably cause the phenomenon known as photoageing (http://www.john-libbey-eurotext.fr/en/revues/medecine/ejd/e-docs/00/01/89/B3/article.md). You can reduce the risk of photoageing by staying out the sun and using a sunscreen.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Pondle said:
Pondle said:
[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":656dc]most of this stuff is all genetic...I noticed some of my friends already gettin wrinkles around their eyes...where as I have no wrinkles yet and I never use sun screen.

Some people just age better than others.

It's true that some people age better than others. But UV does indisputably cause the phenomenon known as photoageing (http://www.john-libbey-eurotext.fr/en/revues/medecine/ejd/e-docs/00/01/89/B3/article.md). You can reduce the risk of photoageing by staying out the sun and using a sunscreen.[/quote:656dc]

although, Ive never used sunscreen I apply cetaphil lotion on my face everyday (doctor recommended it)...if I used one of these sunscreens would that take the place of the lotion?

Pondle

Reaction score
although, Ive never used sunscreen I apply cetaphil lotion on my face everyday (doctor recommended it)...if I used one of these sunscreens would that take the place of the lotion?

Depends, some sunscreens are moisturising so they can directly replace your moisturiser. The LRP Anthelios SX would be a straight swap for your moisturiser. I use a UK product called Boots Soltan face cream and I never have to bother with a moisturiser, although I do sometimes use a post-shave balm.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pondle ,i use sheisedo spf 15, i tought it should be enough b/c i have dark skin.
do you think the Anthelios one is that much better that i should buy it even though i have alot of the other one left or is it not that important?

Pondle

Reaction score
roki said:
pondle ,i use sheisedo spf 15, i tought it should be enough b/c i have dark skin.
do you think the Anthelios one is that much better that i should buy it even though i have alot of the other one left or is it not that important?

Roki, I'd go for the Anthelios SX because your darker skin probably won't protect you against UVA (which causes photoageing), even though it will give you some degree of protection against UVB (which causes tanning and burning).

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Pondle said:

Depends, some sunscreens are moisturising so they can directly replace your moisturiser. The LRP Anthelios SX would be a straight swap for your moisturiser. I use a UK product called Boots Soltan face cream and I never have to bother with a moisturiser, although I do sometimes use a post-shave balm.

so what goes first moisturizing lotion or sunscreen?

does the neutragena one you posted up moisturize as well?

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Pondle said:
roki said:

Roki, I'd go for the Anthelios SX because your darker skin probably won't protect you against UVA (which causes photoageing), even though it will give you some degree of protection against UVB (which causes tanning and burning).
cool, thanks alot for the advice, i will defenitlly order it soon
it dosent come to be that expesive if you save on moisterizor although id still have to get moisterizor for night time

Pondle

Reaction score
so what goes first moisturizing lotion or sunscreen?

does the neutragena one you posted up moisturize as well?

Well, you'd apply the moisturiser first then wait 10 mins or so and apply the sunscreen. If you wanted to do things the other way around it would be best to wait 20 minutes after applying sunscreen before applying any other topicals because it takes about 20 minutes for sunscreens to optimally distribute themselves within the stratum corneum.

I'm not sure about the Neutrogena product, we can't get the Dry Touch range in the UK.