Has Anyone Recovered From A Reflex-hyperandrogenicity From Finasteride At All?

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's hope guys. I've been off finasteride for 6 weeks now and my hair is definitely looking better. I shaved my head a week after quitting and my hair started to grow back thicker almost immediately. I'll update with pictures in a couple months when my hair is longer. I'm probably baseline, which feels like winning the lottery after a year on that shitty drug - what a joke.

Ive got long hair which has been 'fryed' from the shock hormonal change, i cant just get of fina as it wont make a difference now as it cant go back to its original state

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive got long hair which has been 'fryed' from the shock hormonal change, i cant just get of fina as it wont make a difference now as it cant go back to its original state
How long have you been on finasteride? Believe me, I know about this "fryed" hair business - my kinky hair wouldn't even curl on finasteride, it was bizzare.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long have you been on finasteride? Believe me, I know about this "fryed" hair business - my kinky hair wouldn't even curl on finasteride, it was bizzare.
...............2 weeks? LOL

My hair grew in sh*t while on finasteride. Did you start using nizoral 2 weeks ago?
If that really did happen in two weeks to existing hair, well then, OBVIOUSLY that's a bad reaction. why would you stay on the drug? lol
I guess you can do what I did and wait around for 7 or 8 months for finasteride to magically start working after it destroys hair(which i've never once seen proof of on these sites) but at least buzz your hair in the mean time.

Seriously though, what are you expecting to happen next? Just taper down and get off. Re-balance your hormones.

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
...............2 weeks? LOL

My hair grew in sh*t while on finasteride. Did you start using nizoral 2 weeks ago?
If that really did happen in two weeks to existing hair, well then, OBVIOUSLY that's a bad reaction. why would you stay on the drug? lol
I guess you can do what I did and wait around for 7 or 8 months for finasteride to magically start working after it destroys hair(which i've never once seen proof of on these sites) but at least buzz your hair in the mean time.

Seriously though, what are you expecting to happen next? Just taper down and get off. Re-balance your hormones.

You are most probably right and im really down about the situation. Im hoping all those wispery hairs shed at some point and grow back stronger. I have strange sides and sometimes my scalp feels like its exfoliating/burning up but i shed less though in general and scalp tingles seems mainly to go when im on fina but my hair just looks like sh*t at the memont and he worst case scenerio is that it grows back wispery again

Last edited:

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are most probably right and im really down about the situation. Im hoping all those wispery hairs shed at some point and grow back stronger. I have strange sided sometimes my scalp feels like its exfoliating/burning up but i shed less though in general and scalp tingles seems mainly to go when im on fina but my hair just looks like sh*t at the memont and he worst case scenerio is that it grows back wispery again
In my experience your best bet is to buzz your bead, whether you stay on finasteride or not. You don't need to buzz it all the way - a number 1 or 2 guard will do nicely. It takes forever to know whether or not you're getting any kind of regrowth when your hair is long. It will drive you insane as the months go by.
How bad was your hair loss to before starting finasteride. your hair looks okay to me. I would personally advice you to taper down and drop finasteride. it's only been two weeks. You could get away lightly here. If you drop it and re-balance your hormones, buzz your head, I should think the hair will grow back as they were. Forget stronger at this point. You want baseline now.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's hope guys. I've been off finasteride for 6 weeks now and my hair is definitely looking better. I shaved my head a week after quitting and my hair started to grow back thicker almost immediately. I'll update with pictures in a couple months when my hair is longer. I'm probably baseline, which feels like winning the lottery after a year on that shitty drug - what a joke.
guess we are like one of the many...bad responders to finasteride...how much density did you lose? finasteride made me lose over 50% hair density off top my head...it's slowly coming back in after tapering off finasteride.

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
guess we are like one of the many...bad responders to finasteride...how much density did you lose? finasteride made me lose over 50% hair density off top my head...it's slowly coming back in after tapering off finasteride.
At least 50% in 7 months. My hair has dramatically increased in thickness in the last month. I probably won't get it all back, but its better. I'll be able to asses better when it's longer. How long were you on finasteride?

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my experience your best bet is to buzz your bead, whether you stay on finasteride or not. You don't need to buzz it all the way - a number 1 or 2 guard will do nicely. It takes forever to know whether or not you're getting any kind of regrowth when your hair is long. It will drive you insane as the months go by.
How bad was your hair loss to before starting finasteride. your hair looks okay to me. I would personally advice you to taper down and drop finasteride. it's only been two weeks. You could get away lightly here. If you drop it and re-balance your hormones, buzz your head, I should think the hair will grow back as they were. Forget stronger at this point. You want baseline now.

Its already driving me insanse, some days i shed loads others barely anything. Ive lost so much hair around my hairline and i just dont see it returning. My hair was bad in those pictures you saw cause that was the inital hormonal shock to my hair now i barely have any temple hairs.
I know thats the sensibile thing to do as i dont know the effect its doing to my hormones and i keep getting hot flashes and other strange sides but everything i keep reading says give it longer.
My hair was good before but was entering slight temple and crown thinning plus i had that scalp hair loss tingle.
Also if my hair wasnt long id buzzcut like you said but ive been growing my hair out for a few years to getto shoulder length stage its hard just to get a short haircut.
But at the same time its got really bad on fina like its accelerated my mbp by 5years.
I think the worst thing is i cant find peoples posts of how things improved with similar side effects.
I have a really strong feeling im going to seriously going to regret pursuing with fina mainly because of the long lasting damage it my do to my body

@Jeju & @mannyFJ do you have photos of your hair whilst on fina

Last edited:

Jeju

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its already driving me insanse, some days i shed loads others barely anything. Ive lost so much hair around my hairline and i just dont see it returning. My hair was bad in those pictures you saw cause that was the inital hormonal shock to my hair now i barely have any temple hairs.
I know thats the sensibile thing to do as i dont know the effect its doing to my hormones and i keep getting hot flashes and other strange sides but everything i keep reading says give it longer.
My hair was good before but was entering slight temple and crown thinning plus i had that scalp hair loss tingle.
Also if my hair wasnt long id buzzcut like you said but ive been growing my hair out for a few years to getto shoulder length stage its hard just to get a short haircut.
But at the same time its got really bad on fina like its accelerated my mbp by 5years.
I think the worst thing is i cant find peoples posts of how things improved with similar side effects.
I have a really strong feeling im going to seriously going to regret pursuing with fina mainly because of the long lasting damage it my do to my body

I feel for you bro, I know exactly what you’re going through. I was worried about my hairline too. I first started to shed at the temples but after quiting finasteride and buzzing my head there must have been some thickening there! Although my hair is slightly thin at the front. My hair was also fine too before starting finasteride. Pretty much a full head, but I had the “Dht itch” on my crown for a few years. I started to get paranoid and would pluck hairs from my crown constantly. Although I had amazingly thick hair lol. I shaved my hair at the end of 2017 and began taking flash pics of my crown and temples, but looking at pics now, it’s very minor. My hair always looks wack when it’s short.
Anyway, I didn’t need finasteride, not that soon.
I saw a picture of your hair before finasteride, you didn’t need it either.
I know it’s hard to cut your hair after to growing it out, I only ever grew my hair, but the quality is sh*t now. You don’t want to look like a 80 year old rocker lol
Yeah, there’s no proof to this cult like bullshit of “my hair was fucked but it grew back thicker” just a bunch of parrots.
Follow your gut mate. I can only give you advice.
I have 100’s of obsessive pictures. I can show you but it won’t help you. My hair wasn’t like yours was. I shed a hellova lot but it wasn’t “Fryed” it defiantly grew back more brittle because it wouldn’t curl but that’s probably the extreme change in density and using nizoral. The quality was sh*t.

Pnl

My Regimen
Reaction score
My thoughts are:
1. Do you have photo evidence proving to yourself that you are thinning even on sides and back?
2. Are you experiencing other bad signs, such as oilier skin, higher libido, itchy scalp, etc.?

If so, I would advise going down on a lwee dose, or possibly stop taking it for a while then restart on a low dose and see how it goes. Temporarily thinner hair itself is not enough evidence as it is common for finasteride starters. If you experience clear signs of higher androgen activities then it's a different story. Otherwise you should not arrive at the belief that you have reflex hyperandrogenesity so soon. Besides, taking a irregular dose can be really bad as if sends your body into panic mode and you will be hard to stablize health and hair wise. Just keep that in mind.

Maybe you could check my thread. I have pictures included. I think it is hyper-androsensentivity.

Pnl

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think i have reflex hyperandro sensitivity. You could all check my thread. Pics are included and i would appreciate it.

Harv

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel for you bro, I know exactly what you’re going through. I was worried about my hairline too. I first started to shed at the temples but after quiting finasteride and buzzing my head there must have been some thickening there! Although my hair is slightly thin at the front. My hair was also fine too before starting finasteride. Pretty much a full head, but I had the “Dht itch” on my crown for a few years. I started to get paranoid and would pluck hairs from my crown constantly. Although I had amazingly thick hair lol. I shaved my hair at the end of 2017 and began taking flash pics of my crown and temples, but looking at pics now, it’s very minor. My hair always looks wack when it’s short.
Anyway, I didn’t need finasteride, not that soon.
I saw a picture of your hair before finasteride, you didn’t need it either.
I know it’s hard to cut your hair after to growing it out, I only ever grew my hair, but the quality is sh*t now. You don’t want to look like a 80 year old rocker lol
Yeah, there’s no proof to this cult like bullshit of “my hair was fucked but it grew back thicker” just a bunch of parrots.
Follow your gut mate. I can only give you advice.
I have 100’s of obsessive pictures. I can show you but it won’t help you. My hair wasn’t like yours was. I shed a hellova lot but it wasn’t “Fryed” it defiantly grew back more brittle because it wouldn’t curl but that’s probably the extreme change in density and using nizoral. The quality was sh*t.

Sounds like youve been there and done it. I dont know man really, so many websites where medical proffesionals say thats whats meant to happen 'its pushing the old hairs out and should grow back thicker.'
Im worried thats its going to be a chronic telogen effluvium and not just a one of hormonal shock. The front of my hair looks so bad (just wispery hairs) i wish it all just fell of, but there staying there.
Haa '80 year old rocker' thats the direction im going in sadly.
Unfortumetly i have just no way of knowing if its going to improve.

brownhair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe I have all the symptoms of Reflex Hyperandrogenicity. I was on Finasteride for 6 weeks, within a few days I had a burning sensation on my scalp / forelock. 2 weeks in my hair dried and has thinned all over, including the back and sides - My hair now falls out even if I lightly run my hands through it. My scalp itches at different periods through the day. My skin has become much more oily, it's like I'm in my teens again with some of the acne outbreaks I'm experiencing. My hair has turned from black to brown where I can only assume where it's miniaturised. I entered into a severe depression whilst on the drug, randomly breaking down during the day- loss of appetite, broken sleep etc. NONE of this happened before Finasteride.

For that poster who claims this is bullshit, just because it hasn't happened to you, don't discredit others personal experience, just count yourself lucky. You also can't get your head around how Finasteride can change the texture of your hair? I had to request anti depressants during this 6 week period, I decided not to go on them in the end and just come off the drug to see if that helped- Anyway, one of the side effects of the anti depressants was 'change of hair texture - dry'. A friend of mine also previously went on accutane due to his acne, and he complained of his hair quality deteriorating. I've also read about certain thyroid medication making hair fall out. So yes, it's very possible that drugs can change your hair quality. Besides, I know it to be true as it happened to me.

I'm now 9 weeks off of the drug, it's ruined my hair completely. The shedding hasn't stopped, the itching hasn't stopped, the hair quality HAS improved, it's not so dry anymore but I still struggle to style my hair as it's pretty thin now. My oily skin has calmed down a touch I believe as has the burning- It's still there but not as intense. The only symptom I'm not sure if I can relate to is the libido, I've always had quite a high one. I'm not sure if this changed at all.

I don't discredit this drug, it obviously works for alot of people, but it's clearly not a wonder drug for everyone. I went on 1mg a day because of slight thinning of the crown. I'm 31 and couldn't say how long that thinning had been developing. But Finasteride definitely accelerated my hairloss as everything changed within 2 weeks of being on it. I now wish I never even discovered my slight thinning, because I've become obsessed- It wasn't noticeable to others. just hope that whatever this drug has done to me, my body can eventually return back to normal.

If you are experiencing dry hair, I found that 'Aussie' shampoo and conditioner helped.

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
At least 50% in 7 months. My hair has dramatically increased in thickness in the last month. I probably won't get it all back, but its better. I'll be able to asses better when it's longer. How long were you on finasteride?
Hi there am really happy for you that your hair looks better after you quited that discusting drug, i hope you can help me out here, So my story is am 20 years old i had hair shedding before finasteride then whent on finas taught it would stop the hair loss had still really thick strong hair but no it mate evrything 3x worse the sides the back on top litterly evrywhere got 3x worse,am on it for 4 month now experienced oily skin, oily scalp,itchy burning scalp,increased facial hair, So without a doubt i have reflex my hair loss got so much worse and it never stopt, Now am slowly getting off the drug i took 1 Mg for 3 month after that, A half mg for 2 weeks,0,25 for 2 weeks after that i took 0,25 evry second day for a week then evry 3rd day and now evry 4rd day so that my hormones can get naturaly back to his normal state, my itchy scalp whent away while am getting off the drug my whent also lower maybe its because its bouncing up and down as am quiting the drug slowy but the oily skin, oily scalp,but my morning erection never whent away wich i never had before finasteride because my testostorne got a on natural boost, i hope you have any tips for me and if there is a chance that my hair CAN survive, and if i should use minoxidil after quiting, PS sorry for my bad english :confused:

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

i have taken pictures but will get around to posting them...my scalp and hair has improved tapering off finasteride.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my hair has also increased in thickness, i started tapering off finasteride over a month ago...and to answer your question, 10+ months

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe I have all the symptoms of Reflex Hyperandrogenicity. I was on Finasteride for 6 weeks, within a few days I had a burning sensation on my scalp / forelock. 2 weeks in my hair dried and has thinned all over, including the back and sides - My hair now falls out even if I lightly run my hands through it. My scalp itches at different periods through the day. My skin has become much more oily, it's like I'm in my teens again with some of the acne outbreaks I'm experiencing. My hair has turned from black to brown where I can only assume where it's miniaturised. I entered into a severe depression whilst on the drug, randomly breaking down during the day- loss of appetite, broken sleep etc. NONE of this happened before Finasteride.

For that poster who claims this is bullshit, just because it hasn't happened to you, don't discredit others personal experience, just count yourself lucky. You also can't get your head around how Finasteride can change the texture of your hair? I had to request anti depressants during this 6 week period, I decided not to go on them in the end and just come off the drug to see if that helped- Anyway, one of the side effects of the anti depressants was 'change of hair texture - dry'. A friend of mine also previously went on accutane due to his acne, and he complained of his hair quality deteriorating. I've also read about certain thyroid medication making hair fall out. So yes, it's very possible that drugs can change your hair quality. Besides, I know it to be true as it happened to me.

I'm now 9 weeks off of the drug, it's ruined my hair completely. The shedding hasn't stopped, the itching hasn't stopped, the hair quality HAS improved, it's not so dry anymore but I still struggle to style my hair as it's pretty thin now. My oily skin has calmed down a touch I believe as has the burning- It's still there but not as intense. The only symptom I'm not sure if I can relate to is the libido, I've always had quite a high one. I'm not sure if this changed at all.

I don't discredit this drug, it obviously works for alot of people, but it's clearly not a wonder drug for everyone. I went on 1mg a day because of slight thinning of the crown. I'm 31 and couldn't say how long that thinning had been developing. But Finasteride definitely accelerated my hairloss as everything changed within 2 weeks of being on it. I now wish I never even discovered my slight thinning, because I've become obsessed- It wasn't noticeable to others. just hope that whatever this drug has done to me, my body can eventually return back to normal.

If you are experiencing dry hair, I found that 'Aussie' shampoo and conditioner helped.
i had similar symptoms.

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
i had similar symptoms.
Hi there wow reading your comment gives me hope,Am 4 month on that garbage and i have all reflex symptoms and my hair looks so much worse whent from norwood 0 too norwood 1,5 real quick,But am tappering off right now and the itchy scalp disapeard as am tappering off but am not sure if less hairs are falling out anyway, I used 1 MG for 3 month then started too tapper off slowly whent too a half dose off 1 mg for 2 weeks after that whent to 0,25 MG for 2 weeks then 0,25 every second day then every 3rd day now am taking 0,25 MG every 4rd day do you have any tips of what you did and how, And what i can do? Any small advice i will take:(

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi there wow reading your comment gives me hope,Am 4 month on that garbage and i have all reflex symptoms and my hair looks so much worse whent from norwood 0 too norwood 1,5 real quick,But am tappering off right now and the itchy scalp disapeard as am tappering off but am not sure if less hairs are falling out anyway, I used 1 MG for 3 month then started too tapper off slowly whent too a half dose off 1 mg for 2 weeks after that whent to 0,25 MG for 2 weeks then 0,25 every second day then every 3rd day now am taking 0,25 MG every 4rd day do you have any tips of what you did and how, And what i can do? Any small advice i will take:(

You're 32, NW0 - NW1 and you still thought the risk of taking finasteride was worth it ?

Mr SideEffect

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're 32, NW0 - NW1 and you still thought the risk of taking finasteride was worth it ?
I whas losing hair like crazy 150-170 hairs a day my crown became thinner and the sides always fall out but hair line always stayed in place after this drug 2 month into it it completelty ruined my hair, my hairloss became 2x worse,i always have once a year a big big shed idk why but i taught this time its not a shed alopecia is just kicking in and am 20 years old btw, On the forum it says wrong.