Hairloss At 21 Years Old...what To Do?

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here to the forums and I'm coming here kind of just to figure out what I can do about my situation.

I'm 21 years old and experiencing significant hair loss, presumably due to male pattern baldness. I'm pretty sure I'd be the perfect model for the worst hair loss at the youngest age EVER. It started a few years ago...looking back at pictures, I think I can say it started when I was 17. My hairline began receding and thinning at the corners of my forehead, and then it just took off crazy fast. I have lost almost all the hair on the top of my head. I still have hair...it grows...but it's so thin and weak and light in color that it's almost unnoticeable from a distance.

The person who told me it was likely male pattern baldness was my dermatologist. He took one look at it and could say so just by the pattern of it. I was actually going to this dermatologist for acne issues at the time. I had acne in my teens and tried a bunch of different over-the-counter treatments before going to see him. He first put me on an antibiotic called doxycycline, but that didn't get rid of my acne. Then we tried another one called minocycline. That didn't work either. So we finally went to the "last resort"...isotretinoin (which used to be branded as Accutane). That was a complicated process because they require you get blood tests and everything to ensure the drug doesn't harm you. (the truth is there is no evidence at all that it harms you, it's just that some people had severe side effects or committed suicide while on it, so they have to monitor it closely)

Isotretinoin worked and got rid of my acne completely, and with very minor side effects. Unfortunately my acne came back a little 6 months later and I went on a 2nd course of it.

My hair loss was going on during all this time...during the antibiotics and then isotretinoin. At first I thought maybe the medications were causing it, but the dermatologist assured me it was very unlikely. He said it's almost certainly genetic and offered to put me on Minoxidil or Propecia if I wanted. I declined because at that point I had already lost so much hair and I didn't want to waste time and money on that when it would never regrow all my hair.

I guess it is male pattern baldness because I can see evidence of it in my family, although NOT on my mother's side. My dad actually lost pretty much all the hair on the top of his head in his 20s. Up until just recently, I never even knew this because he wears a glued-on hairpiece made of real hair that looks totally natural. He never told me about it until now. It's one of those ones where they attach it and it stays on for a few weeks, and you can shower, swim, and do absolutely everything with it on, and then they refresh it every few weeks. He didn't even tell my mom until years after they met. And my grandfather (my DAD's dad) also had lost pretty much all of his hair on the top by the time he passed away in his 60s.

What I've realized is that my hair loss has significantly hurt my life. I don't have the best facial features as it is, and a full head of hair would help cancel that out, but with this balding head of mine, I look sick and old. I'm 21 and I'm supposed to feel young and attractive and I don't. I'm in good physical shape because I workout and play sports, but it doesn't matter. My face and head are not good looking and it has hurt my social life and my luck with girls. I wear hats every single day just to look decent and during the occasional event I cannot wear one (like a job fair or job interview), I feel so ugly and unconfident, it's terrible.

I tried shaving my head entirely with a razor a few weeks ago, but I don't look good with a shaved head because my facial features don't work well with it and also because I'm not tan enough. My head is white and sickly looking. And the other problem is I have a small scar on the back of my head from a cut when I was little, and it bleeds whenever I shave my head and is really hard to stop, and then there's dried blood on my bare head. I can't go out like that.

I attached a few pictures...take a look at them. I've also noticed strange things going on with my hair in general besides the hair loss on top. Like, on the sides by my ears...that's where it's the thickest, but it's also patchy. The back of my head is uniform but seemingly lighter in color than the sides. WTF is going on with my hair??? It seems so chaotic.

So I'm here mostly to introduce myself, see if the users on a hair loss forum can offer me any advice or support, or information of any kind. I've seen news lately about potential breakthroughs in science (with certain chemicals and drugs) that might make a cure for baldness possible in the future. But how soon? Haven't they been saying that forever?

I try to keep my confidence up, but every time I look in the mirror I fall down into a low place mentally because of my balding at such a young age. I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos already of people saying it doesn't matter; just shave your head, workout and you'll be fine. And I actually see a handful of guys in college that are also going bald but they look good with shaved heads...I simply don't. It works for some people, but not me. And so I feel like I can never escape this horrible place I'm in.

Last edited:

Crystalclear12

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's literally nothing you can do man besides shave your head. Nothing will bring back your hair not even a hair transplant. Just shave it clean and dress really well. Maybe gets some tattoos.

ManinBlack

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am so sorry for you. Norwood 6-7 at 21. That's extreme. You can try going on finasteride and minoxidil to see if you can get anything back and save for a hair transplant. But be conservative about your expectations. You can also try a hair system.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't listen to these guys man, there are still treatments avaliable! Get on dutasteride and oral minoxidil ( loniten) immediately! I dont want to hear any excuses, go buy these medicines right now. I bet you could regrow a significant amount of hair since your loss is fairly recent. dutasteride will block almost all of the DHT and loniten will regrow your hair alongside dutasteride. Take 0.5mg of dutasteride every single day and 10mg of loniten split into 5mg twice a day ( morning and night ).

For what its worth, you aren't the worst i've seen. Ive seen NW6 by 19. Check out positivitlydifferent on youtube. Your loss still sucks balls man, i thought i had it bad with a Norwood 2.5 at 20. You CAN turn things around but you must act FAST and splash some cash. You can get these legit medicines from
AllDayChemist and InhousePharmacy. Good luck brother, im rooting for you.

ONE MORE THING. Accutane is known to cause permenant hair loss, it works in the same manner as male pattern baldness, to simplify what im saying, Accutane accelerated your male pattern baldness ten fold!

Last edited:

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If the bald look isn't for you and it's causing you serious distress then look into SMP or perhaps getting a hair piece until more effective and salvageable treatments become available in the future. I have utmost respect for you bro as It's an awkward position to be in at this day and age. There's unfortunately not a lot that can be done at this point in time.. not with the current treatments and procedures we have on the market. They're not effective enough at saving one's hair however this could potentially change in a few years time. Don't listen to half of the individuals on here who'll tell you it's 'game over' and that there's 'no hope' because that isn't true.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't listen to these guys man, there are still treatments avaliable! Get on dutasteride and oral minoxidil ( loniten) immediately! I dont want to hear any excuses, go buy these medicines right now. I bet you could regrow a significant amount of hair since your loss is fairly recent. dutasteride will block almost all of the DHT and loniten will regrow your hair alongside dutasteride. Take 0.5mg of dutasteride every single day and 10mg of loniten split into 5mg twice a day ( morning and night ).

For what its worth, you aren't the worst i've seen. Ive seen NW6 by 19. Check out positivitlydifferent on youtube. Your loss still sucks balls man, i thought i had it bad with a Norwood 2.5 at 20. You CAN turn things around but you must act FAST and splash some cash. You can get these legit medicines from
AllDayChemist and InhousePharmacy. Good luck brother, im rooting for you.

ONE MORE THING. Accutane is known to cause permenant hair loss, it works in the same manner as male pattern baldness, to simplify what im saying, Accutane accelerated your male pattern baldness ten fold!

Everything I've seen seen from those treatments has only regrown a little hair. There's no way it will ever grow all my hair back, and I can't afford to waste money on that if it won't totally fix everything.

Most of my hair loss actually happened before I started Accutane. Only the tail end of it occurred after I began it. So it may have accelerated it, yeah, but it seems I would've lost all my hair anyway at a young age. Maybe just by my late 20s instead of late teens.

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everything I've seen seen from those treatments has only regrown a little hair. There's no way it will ever grow all my hair back, and I can't afford to waste money on that if it won't totally fix everything.

Most of my hair loss actually happened before I started Accutane. Only the tail end of it occurred after I began it. So I know Accutane has been associated with some hair loss, but it seems I would've lost all my hair anyway.
Loniten has shown incredible regrowth in some. Im on it personally and i am regrowing what ive lost, i admit it is slow as hell but its coming back. Those are really the only two options you got besides a hair piece. Would you mind wearing a hair piece? I dont think anyone would judge you because you lost everything so young.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If the bald look isn't for you and it's causing you serious distress then look into SMP or perhaps getting a hair piece until more effective and salvageable treatments become available in the future. I have utmost respect for you bro as It's an awkward position to be in at this day and age. There's unfortunately not a lot that can be done at this point in time.. not with the current treatments and procedures we have on the market. They're not effective enough at saving one's hair however this could potentially change in a few years time. Don't listen to half of the individuals on here who'll tell you it's 'game over' and that there's 'no hope' because that isn't true.

I honestly didn't expect replies like that when I came across this site. I expected kind and encouraging posts. Telling me "game over?" What game is over? Why are they allowed to post such insulting messages? They should be banned.

I've read all about smp, and a hair piece isn't really an option because it would be high maintenance plus everyone would know when I do it.

Do you think there is anything strange beyond normal hair loss going on? I've never understood why the hair by my sideburns is so patchy and there seem to be little areas where there is no hair at all. And the hair near my sideburns is thicker and even darker than the hair on the back, despite being the same length. It wasn't always like that. Just in the last few years.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Loniten has shown incredible regrowth in some. Im on it personally and i am regrowing what ive lost, i admit it is slow as hell but its coming back. Those are really the only two options you got besides a hair piece. Would you mind wearing a hair piece? I dont think anyone would judge you because you lost everything so young.

I actually did try over the counter Rogaine for about 3 months last year, but didn't see hardly any regrowth, so I quit it.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I actually did try over the counter Rogaine for about 3 months last year, but didn't see hardly any regrowth, so I quit it.
Some people on here are just so bitter! Alot of us are nice though :)
Pfft Rogaine is useless to most, Loniten is the real hair grower. Ive read up on people who used Rogaine, got no results and when they started Loniten they grew alot of hair back, i think it would work wonders on you.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Some people on here are just so bitter! Alot of us are nice though :)
Pfft Rogaine is useless to most, Loniten is the real hair grower. Ive read up on people who used Rogaine, got no results and when they started Loniten they grew alot of hair back, i think it would work wonders on you.

What is the difference? Just topical vs oral or what?

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The baldness cure is always 5 years away. If you want to recover your hair you need strong treatment and not even then it's guaranteed you will recover a sufficient amount of hair. We've seen on this forum recoveries from nw6 but most of them are transexuals.

Just to be clear, you're saying right now, with the current treatments available, you need strong treatment and it's not guaranteed you will recover.

The "cure" that comes soon will be totally separate and not associated with any current treatments? In other words, current treatments will not be necessary in terms of having the cure succeed?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nahte, Oral minoxidil is far more effective than the topical for some reason. Im notsure why but it definitely works

mdmnota

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe hair system is the best thing that you can do right now

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you're saying right now, with the current treatments available, you need strong treatment and it's not guaranteed you will recover.

The "cure" that comes soon will be totally separate and not associated with any current treatments? In other words, current treatments will not be necessary in terms of having the cure succeed?
The closest thing you can call a "cure" is Tsuji's follicle replication, you will basically have infinite donor to transplant on bald areas. Hard to tell when it will be out and how much it will cost.

Comb_over

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man, treatments aren't for you, forget it!!! Buy a hair system immediately, i mean yesterday.. Change your social cycle if it's possible and tell to your close friends and family that you made a hair transplant and that you are on meds.

You can customize your hair system too man. Start with hair pieces that have the balding look and then you can slowly "progress your hair" as if you were on meds.

But honestly bro, if you don't wanna to do that, you can rock the bald look. You don't look that bad man.

Last edited: