Hairline … 8 months apart … deterioration?

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be fair it looks like you're trying to convince yourself there about the hairline being mature, still a full head etc as you may have regrets over not having surgery earlier, acceptance over denial is way better even much later in life. I know the place is therapy for you but it's important to answer his question, for his own sake and future rather than make a post for yourself!

OP that is not a mature hairline, your hairline is asymmetrical, thinning and one corner has gone beyond mature and that is balding. The last normal hairline is a symmetrical NW2 with overall thick hair = full head. I have no idea about your age and overall Norwood pattern (a dr can examine and determine from age 25 onwards usually) but if it bothers you, you can fix the front with a transplant. Meds can help you maintain the rest although you may need further surgery, the more surgery you do and the more native hair that is lost, eventually the donor can't keep up and there will be a slight thin (but hopefully natural) look. Depends on your donor capacity though and the only place that is dense packed is the hairline.
I was thinking similar @Wolf Pack re. how far the hairline has gone back , especially on the right . I no longer think it can be classed as a mature hairline @DoctorHouse however much I wish it could be !

For those who referred to age and meds … I’m 35 and already on finasteride and have been for three years (stopping for 5 months in first lockdown due to difficulty in getting prescription).

Hair is a complex thing . Friends , family etc all comment on my hair being thick and make the comment ‘no chance of you ever going bald ‘ … but I see the recession in the front . Hairline always naturally went higher on the right since a child but you can tell from the wispy hairs it’s male pattern baldness now and not just maturing … I think , anyway .

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks improved tbh
Slightly or hair combed better with better liflghtning
I was thinking similar @Wolf Pack re. how far the hairline has gone back , especially on the right . I no longer think it can be classed as a mature hairline @DoctorHouse however much I wish it could be !

For those who referred to age and meds … I’m 35 and already on finasteride and have been for three years (stopping for 5 months in first lockdown due to difficulty in getting prescription).

Hair is a complex thing . Friends , family etc all comment on my hair being thick and make the comment ‘no chance of you ever going bald ‘ … but I see the recession in the front . Hairline always naturally went higher on the right since a child but you can tell from the wispy hairs it’s male pattern baldness now and not just maturing … I think , anyway .
male pattern baldness is more complex than just dht. U need to go on hrt to truely beat it.

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
CF74B0CF-A15F-4D96-A19A-B5278024C13F.jpeg

This is a perfect example of how an angle and lighting can be deceiving … this was taken yesterday an hour after that pic I posted in my original post …

this is why it’s hard to determine or diagnose on forums

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
U mean u took this pic to make it look like you Arent thinning?
No, it was a pic taken yesterday one hour after the pics I posted of the reality of the hairline . This pic highlights how pics can be deceiving …

I don’t take pics to cover up / look less thinning as I’d rather see what the reality is than live without insight into true extent of the issue .

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Adam124

The hairline is best assessed from all angles in order to gauge recession or not. The frontal picture (like in your OP) and a little from a bird's eye angle is best. Yes the right side is usually more sensitive to hair loss but eventually both sides will link up unfortunately.

I drew what would be a mature hairline for you based on where you still have thinning hairs and where most likely you once had hair. Of course wrinkling your forehead is the best indicator of where the juvenile line is and where the mature one should be. As a reference, up to Norwood 3 the forelock remains in a mature position ( generally speaking) even if it thins out, only at Norwood 4 does the forelock itself recede too and the hairline would need to be lowered = more grafts.

You probably won't go bald fast especially on meds, bearing in mind your age and slow pattern - could take a life time which is good news so you can relax and forget about it. But you are receding, balding at the front and losing the frame for the face sucks. 1700-2000 grafts will fix it though as it will need reinforcing too, they may even go up to 2500 grafts if they are going a little behind into slightly thinning areas. I know how you feel as I was in a similar boat, thick hair all over but hairline had receded, I fixed it in my 20s with surgery and haven't lost any of the hair behind it (been a decade). I would say go for it, it's WORTH IT, especially in your prime years and you have some still. Yes the hairs you have are wispy and sparse which indicates your balding, with a transplant even if the density is not perfect it will be miles better - symmetry, healthy thick hairs from the back etc and you can always reinforce it and add few hundred extra grafts later.

Attachments

• 6C881359-ACF2-4A3E-B1FA-06A327FCC78F.jpg
    6C881359-ACF2-4A3E-B1FA-06A327FCC78F.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 86

Adam124

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Adam124

The hairline is best assessed from all angles in order to gauge recession or not. The frontal picture (like in your OP) and a little from a bird's eye angle is best. Yes the right side is usually more sensitive to hair loss but eventually both sides will link up unfortunately.

I drew what would be a mature hairline for you based on where you still have thinning hairs and where most likely you once had hair. Of course wrinkling your forehead is the best indicator of where the juvenile line is and where the mature one should be. As a reference, up to Norwood 3 the forelock remains in a mature position ( generally speaking) even if it thins out, only at Norwood 4 does the forelock itself recede too and the hairline would need to be lowered = more grafts.

You probably won't go bald fast especially on meds, bearing in mind your age and slow pattern - could take a life time which is good news so you can relax and forget about it. But you are receding, balding at the front and losing the frame for the face sucks. 1700-2000 grafts will fix it though as it will need reinforcing too, they may even go up to 2500 grafts if they are going a little behind into slightly thinning areas. I know how you feel as I was in a similar boat, thick hair all over but hairline had receded, I fixed it in my 20s with surgery and haven't lost any of the hair behind it (been a decade). I would say go for it, it's WORTH IT, especially in your prime years and you have some still. Yes the hairs you have are wispy and sparse which indicates your balding, with a transplant even if the density is not perfect it will be miles better - symmetry, healthy thick hairs from the back etc and you can always reinforce it and add few hundred extra grafts later.
Thanks for this .

if just getting a transplant on hairline , would I need to shave my entire head for the treatment ? How long off work etc until I can return and people won’t know I’ve had one .

lastly , I don’t think I’ve seen a transplant where it doesn’t look like a transplant if you get me ? How does yours look ?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, it was a pic taken yesterday one hour after the pics I posted of the reality of the hairline . This pic highlights how pics can be deceiving …

I don’t take pics to cover up / look less thinning as I’d rather see what the reality is than live without insight into true extent of the issue .
This pic was good. So why post it

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for this .

if just getting a transplant on hairline , would I need to shave my entire head for the treatment ? How long off work etc until I can return and people won’t know I’ve had one .

lastly , I don’t think I’ve seen a transplant where it doesn’t look like a transplant if you get me ? How does yours look ?
Just comb hair down. I always wear it down.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for this .

You'll have to read up on it. Usually shaved as Dr needs to get into thinner areas. I'd say after 3 weeks there are no signs and a uniform buzzcut. But some people have redness way longer like months, for me with black hair and darker skin, redness disappeared in barely 10 days.

I'd say mine is something like this (especially hair type) but my mature hairline is slightly flatter than his but still curved as it's more natural (everyone has a different one depending on various factors).

Definitely beats a balding wispy receding hairline and can always reinforce if needed, transplant hair is permanent and thick. Important to note that thicker calibre hair will feel like double the grafts so your results may differ. That said it's still a no brainer even in your shoes. I'm glad you live in reality which you mentioned and no crappy combovers, will serve you well whatever you decide! Even a fade and recessed hairline is better than fake cover ups as far as aesthetics go.

Good luck. I'd just for it, now I can style it how I want and girls can run their fingers through it, it's all real, fullhead and natural enough. I've received complements on it from all kinds of people when hair comes up - otherwise no one says anything - and that is exactly how a transplant or hairstyle should be - no one should notice it in a bad way and should be looking at your face and eyes when addressing you. I don't waste my time on hair obsession (in a negative way) for over 10 years now. Just a fun topic for me now. You may feel the same and forget all this if you go ahead with surgery.