Hairless Man Grows Full Head Of Hair In Yale Arthritis Drug Trial

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
http://news.yale.edu/2014/06/19/hairless-man-arthritis-drug-spurs-hair-growth-lots-it

King has submitted a proposal for a clinical trial involving a cream form of tofacitinib as a treatment for alopecia areata.

He cited work by Columbia University scientist Angela Christiano as the reason he decided to try tofacitinib as a therapy in this patient with both alopecia universalis and psoriasis. She has shown thattofacitinib and a related medicine reverse alopecia areata in mice. King called her work exemplary and a clear example of how society’s investment in science research leads to improvement in human life.

“This case highlights the interplay between advances in science and the treatment of disease,” he said, “and it provides a compelling example of the ways in which an increasingly complex understanding of medicine, combined with ingenuity in treatment, benefits patients.”

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
You guys should read some of the comments left on facebook under the Yale article. One Lady wrote "This drug only worked for Alopecia not baldness" <rolling-eyes>

Do you have a link to that comment? I'd love to give her my 2 cents.

Stupid people need to be called out.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Where is the mouse in all this? Where's my lil squeaker?

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys should read some of the comments left on facebook under the Yale article. One Lady wrote "This drug only worked for Alopecia not baldness" <rolling-eyes>
You think that's bad, my doctor said I don't have alopecia, it's just hairloss. Granted he was just typical doctor and not a dermatologist, but still no excuse.

- - - Updated - - -

I would really like to see a study be done with topical and in different dosages. Let's say that it does work for male pattern baldness, would we really need to reset our immune system to zero? Why couldn't we just go half way and see some regrowth and not risking our lifes. I tend to get sick pretty easily with the common cold, so I would need to live in a bubble for this lol.

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score
You think that's bad, my doctor said I don't have alopecia, it's just hairloss. Granted he was just typical doctor and not a dermatologist, but still no excuse.

A very common misconception unfortunately, just direct these people to the Wikipedia page for androgenic alopecia.

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't give finasteride to someone with alopecia areata. Why are people still talking about this?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
You wouldn't give finasteride to someone with alopecia areata. Why are people still talking about this?

Because finasteride only blocks DHT. That's only part of the problem.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay so we know what needs to happen next. Someone is just going to have to take one for the team here. Record everything and report back, assuming one is not dead by then of course. I think the warning label might be a little exaggerated.

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay so we know what needs to happen next. Someone is just going to have to take one for the team here. Record everything and report back, assuming one is not dead by then of course. I think the warning label might be a little exaggerated.

Yes, if you don't care about your health please step forward.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone willing to volunteer, ill prepare an honorary guinea pig medal of achievement and plaque.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score

Would the only way for the treatment to have the negative side effects be possible if it were to go systemic? If this can be localized to just the follicle, it shouldn't be that great of a risk. Here's a study I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23387374

Tofacitinib mean systemic exposure was minimal and was greater for ointment 1 than for ointment 2.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you don't care about your health please step forward.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone willing to volunteer, ill prepare an honorary guinea pig medal of achievement and plaque.

Well I personally would step forward but there is things holding me back.
The most obvious one to me is the money it costs, I simply can't afford anything close to that. Getting the prescription by my doctor, although to might e able to persuade one I dot know. But most importantly for this forum, mine is not entirely male pattern baldness, it is more like DUPA or even some derivative of alopecia areata like totalis. So it might actually do wonders for me and not answer members question. Otherwise, I would probably take it for the team.

- - - Updated - - -

Would the only way for the treatment to have the negative side effects be possible if it were to go systemic? If this can be localized to just the follicle, it shouldn't be that great of a risk. Here's a study I found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23387374

You're right, we need to find out if that may be the case. Maybe we can pay a scientist to find out? Maybe we can contact the authors of the study and find out what was his plans with that cream he suggested. I have applied psoriasis cream on my scalp for 8 months and I didn't get any response.

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I personally would step forward but there is things holding me back.
The most obvious one to me is the money it costs, I simply can't afford anything close to that. Getting the prescription by my doctor, although to might e able to persuade one I dot know. But most importantly for this forum, mine is not entirely male pattern baldness, it is more like DUPA or even some derivative of alopecia areata like totalis. So it might actually do wonders for me and not answer members question. Otherwise, I would probably take it for the team.

I don't think we really need to experiment with this quite yet. The results were significant and enough to make cnn headlines, so I wouldn't expect it to be canned like the rest of the theoretical treatments. If this is a miracle cure, or something of that nature, we will find out very soon. If this patient was suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia, I think pretty much every person on this forum would be rushing to their local doctor to get a prescription but that is not the case. Androgenetic Alopecia and Alopecia Totalis involve 2 completely different pathways which is why finasteride is not prescribed or is helpful for these patients.
- - - Updated - - -

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
lol at the poster volunteering someone else to take one for the team. Cancer anyone? MRSA? If this drug can similarly induce a biological state to that of HIV, of which many of it's victims die of diseases from HIV deactivating bodily safeguards, no one needs to go near this stuff with a 10 ft pole. Hair or no hair.

Vaz

Reaction score
I couldn't do a dangerous drug or one with sexual side effects. I'd rather keep my libido than my hair.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think we really need to experiment with this quite yet. The results were significant and enough to make cnn headlines, so I wouldn't expect it to be canned like the rest of the theoretical treatments. If this is a miracle cure, or something of that nature, we will find out very soon. If this patient was suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia, I think pretty much every person on this forum would be rushing to their local doctor to get a prescription but that is not the case. Androgenetic Alopecia and Alopecia Totalis involve 2 completely different pathways which is why finasteride is not prescribed or is helpful for these patients.
finasteride will not help them since immune system will attack follicle regardless of presence of DHT. But in male pattern baldness after DHT is attached to the receptor then our immune system attacks it? maybe it ll do something in that sense? what do you think?

Helios

Reaction score
Have you guys read this? It's about fasting for 3 days, apparently it regenerates the imume system.

http://www.universityherald.com/arti...une-system.htm

Who knows? Maybe we can fast for 3 days and our hair starts to grow again.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you guys read this? It's about fasting for 3 days, apparently it regenerates the imume system. In a nutshell, your body disposes faulty/broken cells and produces new ones.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you guys read this? It's about fasting for 3 days, apparently it regenerates the imume system.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you guys read this? It's about fasting for 3 days, apparently it regenerates the imume system. In a nutshell, your body disposes faulty/broken cells and produces new ones.

It is not new to me that fasting activates certain dormain genes that are really good for you. This is why people suggest we take pills during fasting. But this is the first time I have seen a reset with fasting an in that little time. This is great news :D, I am going to try it for 5-7 painful days, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know if it is a rigorous fasting as is no good or water? Or just some water with veggie juice?

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
This article was fake. Why would they take a picture of the guy's bald head for an arthritis drug trial? Plus I am sure there would have been other people with hair loss in the trial. If it works for alopecia, it should work better for male pattern baldness.

Python

Established Member
Reaction score
This article was fake. Why would they take a picture of the guy's bald head for an arthritis drug trial? Plus I am sure there would have been other people with hair loss in the trial. If it works for alopecia, it should work better for male pattern baldness.

Well these type of drugs have already been used for Alopecia totalis and have shown some success. So it was only natural to measure hair growth. I would not say it should work on male pattern baldness, but it stands at least a good trial to be done.

bushbush

Established Member
Reaction score

Deadman1, world renown expert in clinical trials.