Hair Signals (TM), the next generation Folligen

Cassin

Reaction score
To be honest I don't care much about the added herbal stuff in hair signals on terms of helping me as I mainly using HS for the extra cp's n better absorbtion. I guess I'm just debating whether this tiny amount of BS is harmful or not.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
47thin said:
From Science Daily-

Saw palmetto, an herbal extract commonly taken to improve urinary symptoms in men with enlargement of the prostate gland, is no more effective than a placebo, according to a new study.
See Also:
Health & Medicine

* Men's Health
* Dietary Supplement
* Alternative Medicine

Plants & Animals

* Mice
* New Species
* Food

Reference

* Double blind
* Urology
* Baldness treatments
* Clinical trial

The year-long, double-blind study of 225 men was led by Stephen Bent, MD, a staff physician at the San Francisco VA Medical Center, and Andrew Avins, MD, MPH, of the Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research.

The results are published in the February 9, 2006 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

In their study, the researchers randomly assigned patients with enlargement of the prostate, also known as or benign prostate hyperplasia or BPH, to take either saw palmetto or a placebo twice a day for one year. Subjects returned at regular intervals to be assessed for symptoms and side effects. Symptoms were assessed according to a standard symptom score for BPH and objective measures of urinary function.

"If you look at the change in symptoms over time between the two groups, it was almost identical," reports Bent, who is also an assistant professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. "There was no statistically significant difference at any time point during the study."

The researchers also looked at subgroups of patients -- those with more and less severe symptoms and those with larger and smaller prostates -- and found no difference in any of the subgroups between the herbal extract and placebo.

"The results of this study clearly do not support a strong clinical benefit of saw palmetto for BPH," concludes Bent. "However, whether other doses, formulations, or patient populations might respond differently is unknown."

The researchers estimate that saw palmetto is used by over two million men in the United States for treatment of BPH, which is said by the National Institutes of Health to affect more than 50 percent of men over 60 and upwards of 90 percent of men over 70.

This concerns internal use of Beta-sitosterol.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
rcom440 said:
"Not the biggest study ever done, but one certainly gives me more confidence in beta sitosterol. And then consider the best results with beta sitosterol comes from over 12 months of use, yet 60% of the test subjects noticed an improvement after just 4 months. At the worst it may be enough to stop any more hair shed at the best I may be able to spark new life into hair follicles that were nearly dead."

http://www.hairlossbuddy.com/23/beta-sitosterol/

Again he's using it internally. I believe Beta-sitosterol is useful as an internal for hairloss. It lowers DHT by inhibiting 5ar and by lowering testosterone by reducing cholesterol. When take internally, I doubt that very much if any of it actually reaches the hair follicle (this is my speculation). However in a topical, higher concentrations of Beta-sitosterol reach the hair follicle than if taken orally.

rcom440

Reaction score
I'm thinking about conducting my own experiment on mice.
I'm planing to use Hair Signals Therapy Solution.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought the whole idea behind Beta and saw P was that it lowered DHT in the body and prevent it from attacking the scalp. I don't think you take Beta Sis or Saw P and expect it to "get to the hair". I don't mean to be rude, and I could be reading you wrong.

MY main problem is that their have been some rigorous test on some of these drugs and solutions, and then there are these really small, short term studies. You can shed, on your own, seasonally, look bad, them have some natural regrowth, without any chemical intervention. Heck, the right hair cut, shampoo and conditioner can have a drastic look on the hair you have.

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
we understand what you're saying 47thin, and agree with it - there's no problem with beta-sis when taken internally, a couple of us are just afraid of what it'll do to the follicle when applied topically to the scalp - especially considering the research done on male pattern baldness and its potential correlation to aromatase levels in the scalp - read the hairlosshelp topic we were linked to if you're lost

rcom440

Reaction score
baller234 said:
Doesn't the hair of mice behave more like human body hair than human scalp hair?

Actually, Human hair is not so differentiated and might be described as a modified combination of the characteristics of guard hairs and fur hairs.

Rats hair would be even better for my experiment but I'm afraid I wont have access to Rats in my lab.

rcom440

Reaction score
Cassin,
We should be using Emu Oil for better CP absorption.

Cassin

Reaction score
Dr. Pickart

Posted 02 January 2010 09:36 PM

The copper peptides should also inhibit the 5-ar and they should override any possible problems with Beta-S.

You can look at biochemical pathways until you go insane, but the real answer is what happens in the mammals. And in this case, the Beta-S look like a help for hair growth.

rcom440

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Dr. Pickart

Posted 02 January 2010 09:36 PM

The copper peptides should also inhibit the 5-ar and they should override any possible problems with Beta-S.

You can look at biochemical pathways until you go insane, but the real answer is what happens in the mammals. And in this case, the Beta-S look like a help for hair growth.

I'm wondering what Bryan has to say about this.

JWM

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Cassin, but I look at Dr. Pickart's word concerning copper peps as...iffy. Especially the claim that they inhibit 5ar.

Cassin

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to make of it either.

I have used Hair Signals for awhile with no problems and I would like to see proof one way or another before I change anything.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am extremely curious what Bryan's take on Beta-S is... I have considered Hair Signals for a while now.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
baller234 said:
Bryan what is your opinion about using Beta-sitosterol in a topical?

I have no opinion at all on it. I've never seen a study that used it or tested it, so anything I could say about it would be pure speculation.