Hair Signals (TM), the next generation Folligen

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
haha, after reading that stuff about aromatase i cancelled my order and just bought some really good (sulphate free) lavender, sunflower, olive, coconut and jojoba shampoo and conditioner - not gonna screw around with aromatase at the follicle level, heck i might even buy some of that product they talk about in the hairlosshelp thread if i feel i need to boost my regimen in a few months

Cassin

Reaction score
curiouscharles said:
haha, after reading that stuff about aromatase i cancelled my order and just bought some really good (sulphate free) lavender, sunflower, olive, coconut and jojoba shampoo and conditioner - not gonna screw around with aromatase at the follicle level, heck i might even buy some of that product they talk about in the hairlosshelp thread if i feel i need to boost my regimen in a few months

If you breakdown every ingredient of every product you put on your scalp you wouldn't use anything but room temperature water.

I bet you can find studies supporting topical Beta S if you looked.

I'm gonna keep going with it.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
curiouscharles said:

If you breakdown every ingredient of every product you put on your scalp you wouldn't use anything but room temperature water.

Beta-sitosterol may be beneficial as a topical however it depends on whether or not it inhibits more of the 5ar enzyme or the aromatase enzyme.

If it inhibits more of the 5ar enzyme than the aromatase enzyme then more testosterone will convert to estrogen than DHT.

However if it inhibits more of the aromatase enzyme than the 5ar enzyme then more testosterone will be converted to DHT than estrogen.

Obviously the latter scenario is not desirable. Finasteride/Dutasteride would be a better alternative as topical 5ar inhibitor since they do not inhibit the aromatase enzyme.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
curiouscharles said:

I've been using the original folligen cream on my hairline and find that when coupled with 5ar inhibitors and anti-androgens, it is very beneficial. It's also very well priced considering that the tubes last practically forever.

Cassin

Reaction score
baller234 said:
Cassin said:
curiouscharles said:

Beta-sitosterol may be beneficial as a topical however it depends on whether or not it inhibits more of the 5ar enzyme or the aromatase enzyme.

If it inhibits more of the 5ar enzyme than the aromatase enzyme then more testosterone will convert to estrogen than DHT.

However if it inhibits more of the aromatase enzyme than the 5ar enzyme then more testosterone will be converted to DHT than estrogen.

Obviously the latter scenario is not desirable. Finasteride/Dutasteride would be a better alternative as topical 5ar inhibitor since they do not inhibit the aromatase enzyme.

Good stuff....I'm asking Dr Pickart!

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd be very interested to hear what he has to say about this but it wouldn't make sense for him to admit to a flaw in one of his products as he does make money off of sales so I wouldn't take his word as the final authority on this subject.

Cassin

Reaction score
baller234 said:
I'd be very interested to hear what he has to say about this but it wouldn't make sense for him to admit to a flaw in one of his products as he does make money off of sales so I wouldn't take his word as the final authority on this subject.

He has admitted flaws in his products before and adjusted them. If you read his forum he's pretty blunt.

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forum ... /414104493

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
baller234 said:

He has admitted flaws in his products before and adjusted them. If you read his forum he's pretty blunt.

http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forum ... /414104493

Really? That's encouraging to hear. I would love to try a beta-sitosterolless version of this product.

curiouscharles

Established Member
Reaction score
I would also love to try such a version of this product - with everything else that's in this product being all in the pro column with any cons, i'd much prefer it without the beta-sis, seems extraneous considering this potential aromatase risk.

Eagerly anticipating what he has to say about this - maybe he's already considered this and ruled it out as an actual hazard.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
From Science Daily-

Saw palmetto, an herbal extract commonly taken to improve urinary symptoms in men with enlargement of the prostate gland, is no more effective than a placebo, according to a new study.
See Also:
Health & Medicine

* Men's Health
* Dietary Supplement
* Alternative Medicine

Plants & Animals

* Mice
* New Species
* Food

Reference

* Double blind
* Urology
* Baldness treatments
* Clinical trial

The year-long, double-blind study of 225 men was led by Stephen Bent, MD, a staff physician at the San Francisco VA Medical Center, and Andrew Avins, MD, MPH, of the Northern California Kaiser Permanente Division of Research.

The results are published in the February 9, 2006 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

In their study, the researchers randomly assigned patients with enlargement of the prostate, also known as or benign prostate hyperplasia or BPH, to take either saw palmetto or a placebo twice a day for one year. Subjects returned at regular intervals to be assessed for symptoms and side effects. Symptoms were assessed according to a standard symptom score for BPH and objective measures of urinary function.

"If you look at the change in symptoms over time between the two groups, it was almost identical," reports Bent, who is also an assistant professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. "There was no statistically significant difference at any time point during the study."

The researchers also looked at subgroups of patients -- those with more and less severe symptoms and those with larger and smaller prostates -- and found no difference in any of the subgroups between the herbal extract and placebo.

"The results of this study clearly do not support a strong clinical benefit of saw palmetto for BPH," concludes Bent. "However, whether other doses, formulations, or patient populations might respond differently is unknown."

The researchers estimate that saw palmetto is used by over two million men in the United States for treatment of BPH, which is said by the National Institutes of Health to affect more than 50 percent of men over 60 and upwards of 90 percent of men over 70.

rcom440

Reaction score
Cassin:
Yes Scalp Med containes Beta-sitosterol. I still have one bottle of Scalp Med :)
The Expeditor/Nutrisol - Rf bottle contains:
Deionized water, Glycerol, Polysorbate-80, Retinol
Sabal Serrulata, Beta-sitosterol, Panthenol, Cystine, Biotin, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben

I've used it for around 2 years and I swear that it did slowed the progression on my hair loss at that time.

Cassin

Reaction score
rcom440 said:
Cassin:
Yes Scalp Med containes Beta-sitosterol. I still have one bottle of Scalp Med :)
The Expeditor/Nutrisol - Rf bottle contains:
Deionized water, Glycerol, Polysorbate-80, Retinol
Sabal Serrulata, Beta-sitosterol, Panthenol, Cystine, Biotin, DMDM Hydantoin, Methylparaben

I've used it for around 2 years and I swear that it did slowed the progression on my hair loss at that time.

Yeah and considering the success of people on zix...scalp med and my own use of hair signals I am not thinking the beta-s can be much of a problem.

Still want to hear from Jacob...Bryan and Dr Pickart of course.

rcom440

Reaction score
"Not the biggest study ever done, but one certainly gives me more confidence in beta sitosterol. And then consider the best results with beta sitosterol comes from over 12 months of use, yet 60% of the test subjects noticed an improvement after just 4 months. At the worst it may be enough to stop any more hair shed at the best I may be able to spark new life into hair follicles that were nearly dead."

http://www.hairlossbuddy.com/23/beta-sitosterol/

Cassin

Reaction score
^ good read

Beta Sitosterol To The Rescue
Exactly how beta sitosterol helps prevent hair loss is not totally clear. Studies seem to indicate that it works by stopping the enzyme 5 alpha reductase dead in it’s tracks (J Altern Complement Med. 2002 Apr;8(2):143-52.). This enzyme converts testosterone into another hormone called DHT, and if you didn’t know DHT is bad news for hair. So if beta sitosterol can stamp out the action of 5 alpha reductase then a major cause of male pattern hair loss can be fended off.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking Beta for a while, hair seems to be getting thinner, despite taking it internally. Dr Lee's website mentions that Saw Palmetto works by shrinking the membrane of the prostate, not lessening DHT. Also, they found Saw Palmetto does not seem to effect PSA tests. I would think that there would be a lot more happy Crinagen customers, as well as Revivogen customers, if ti worked well. But I'm not a chemist, just somewhat of skeptic, having had my hopes dashed so many times.