Hair Multiplication Update:Histogen!

Raph

Reaction score
Dudemon I think u might be right but I hope ur wrong. Seriously, I can't handle life like this though... So all that can be done is hope.
dudemon said:
follicle84 said:
Kube8 said:
Isn't that the exact same thing that happened to Intercytex? At least the start of their demise. JOY

Even if histogen goes bust for what ever reason. The technology is there to regrow hair. Its much more promising than anything we've seen previously (hair grown on mice blah blah). Its only a matter of time before it comes available.

yah, and that time may very well not be until the next century... :jackit:

Keep wishing and hoping that's all we can do, but I won't be surprised to finding out it won't even happen in my lifetime, unless, of course, big pharm gets behind it. And the only way that will happen is if they see a huge payoff in it for them...otherwise we wait, and we'll continue to wait. None of these small companies have the funds to do anything substantial; they are like a fart in a windstorm. To think otherwise is just wishful thinking.

You say "the technology is there to grow hair" but is it really? Or is it really all just hype? My vote goes towards the latter. I mean, yeah they may have been able to get a little something as far as results so far, but that's a far cry from an actual viable solution to our problem. There has been many discoveries in the past, which have all been abandoned, and that is likely the same scenario with the current "discoveries" for male pattern baldness cures. In due time, they (Histo, Follica, etc....) will be abandoned too.

In a year's time, Histogen will be bankrupt, Follica will be gone as well (if they aren't already) as well as other companies after them will eventually fail. Unless big pharm comes in and pumps BILLIONS (with a "B") into a male pattern baldness cure...not just puny millions.

Rather than doing that, big pharm is more likely to pump billions into stem cell research and genetic research to elimate undesireable genetic traits from birth - male pattern baldness being one of them - before they will even begin to develop any kind of male pattern baldness "cure" which will no longer be needed, once male pattern baldness can be eliminated before a child is even born.

Just my opinion.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hmmm a multibillion dollar industry. Someone is bound to get it right and cure hairloss even if histogen doesnt. When this will be i dont know, but it will happen. You may be right about expecting too much from this but it is a possibility. Even the possibility is comforting no matter how dire things are looking.

You say "the technology is there to grow hair" but is it really? Or is it really all just hype? My vote goes towards the latter.

You can't deny though, thoughs results shown on the histogen website were much more impressive than what we have seen previously. I think we are getting closer to stopping hairloss. Even than there are so many damn setbacks everytime.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
follicle84 said:
Hmmm a multibillion dollar industry. Someone is bound to get it right and cure hairloss even if histogen doesnt. When this will be i dont know, but it will happen. You may be right about expecting too much from this but it is a possibility. Even the possibility is comforting no matter how dire things are looking.

You say "the technology is there to grow hair" but is it really? Or is it really all just hype? My vote goes towards the latter.

You can't deny though, thoughs results shown on the histogen website were much more impressive than what we have seen previously. I think we are getting closer to stopping hairloss. Even than there are so many damn setbacks everytime.

Yep, Histo seems to be the most promising. According to their spokesperson, they supposedly have tons of HSC testing planned for 2011 in Asia, and if that goes well, a possible HSC release date in Asia in late 2011/early 2012. An FDA approval, of course, will take 5 to 7 years after that before it could be sold in the US.

However, none of that takes into consideration their ongoing lawsuit with Regenica. From what I've read, Histo seems to be losing, and nothing can be done - the HSC testing in 2011 that is - until the legal battle is over. Nothing will be done if Regenica wins, and the legal battle may cause Histo go bankrupt before they even get a chance to follow through with their plans for 2011.

Like I said, this wouldn't happen if big pharm was involved because no company would dare even attempt a legal fight with big pharm - it's sure to be a losing proposition.

But because Histo is just another small startup - backed with venture capital - they don't have the means to withstand any kind of expensive/lengthy legal battle. It will bankrupt them first. Even if they do win, it may not be for several years from now when the legal battle is over, and then, will they even have a dime left to continue their plans? Not hardly!

And then, what if any "other" type of snag comes their way after that? It will surely put them out of commission.

what about follica?

lalakos

Reaction score
dudemon said:
However, none of that takes into consideration their ongoing lawsuit with Regenica. From what I've read, Histo seems to be losing, and nothing can be done...

Where have you read this?
I'm searching the web every day for news about the ongoing lawsuit concerning Histo's formula and I haven't found anything that points your remark.

I don't think we have to be overpessimistic.

Whoop

Established Member
Reaction score
Lol Dudemon, ur making stuff up and you know it. Follica has not even started Phase II yet. Same goes for Histogen, no information has been given about the status of the lawsuit.

Unless you state your sources, your comments are worthless.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
so its clear ?? sure thing ?

histogen is gone for hairgrowth ?
no more product for hairloss ?

or is it still not desided ?

Whoop

Established Member
Reaction score
The last news about follica was that they hired Ju as a new president, no news about a possible bankruptcy. They also have Puretech backing them up financially so i cant see them going broke if they find a cure.

There is indeed a lawsuit going on versus Histogen which at first appeared to mean their end. But no information is given about the exact status and whether a loss of the lawsuit would affect the product they're working on for hairloss.

And lets not forget about Aderans, they're in Phase II as we speak, so who knows what kind of results we'll see in the near future

Whoop

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation Dudemon. Scarring wounds can be worse than hairloss and therefore should get more attention in science than hairloss imo.

But anyways, you obviously know more about the lawsuit versus histogen than me. I'm sure it could be the end for the company especially in these times. Though I should mention they have still employees working there. They also recently launched the Regenica skincare line so they're not totally dead already. I sure hope though the lawsuit won't take too long (one can always hope...), because costs incurred will be huge.

About Follica I think you indeed mixed them up with Intercytex. Intercytex' results in Phase II were not satisfactoring so they decided not to invest in Phase III. As far as I know indeed phase I of the trials are not yet conducted by Follica. In the Xconomy article Ju said he thought the trials he saw were pleasing, but could not find any information about those particular trials. I do believe the appointment of Ju is a good thing though, because he has lots of knowledge that has to do with the FDA stages a product has to go through and with bringing the product to market. This is only my assumption, but it seems like they're making at least some kind of progress then.

Now about your theory of it all being one huge scam, I think you definately are right that hair transplant surgeons are abusing the news around HM. It's free advertising for them so in a certain way I can't even blame them (just spreading the word like we (or maybe not you;)) all do here). But I definately can't imagine that all the scientists working on HM and whatever kinda cure are just faking it all to get a nice salary for doing so from the HTindustry. Scientists want to explore the fields and discover inventions, not just act like they're being busy when they're not. People need intrinsic rewards also. But maybe you were just being sarcastic and I fell for it:p.

But as I said, I'm more interested in the progress of Aderans than I am in any other company, simply because of the fact that they are already in Phase II and others are not, unfortunately. That's also a reason I do not see a cure before 2020, even though Histogen claimed to be on the Eastern market in around 2013.

Our best bet is to wait for official updates from these companies though, we can only guess here.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow thats a pretty sad story dudemon :( . I see were the pessimism comes from. You say your transplanted hair is see through. Just wondering do you use concealer? I've seen some impressive hair transplants with concealer.

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
a person on our hairforum did hairtattoo on his head
he shaves his hair verry schort and his scar and head on top are filled in with hairdots with tattoo-ink , he posted pictures, verry good result....
cost : 300 euro

wesleyBelgium

Established Member
Reaction score
nope

will ask the person first if i may post some pics of him here...

his pictures are on the hairforum of belgium/holland...

the commercial hairlosstattooshops are verry expensive....
and gives to unrealistic hairlines....

he payed 300 euro for his head and fut scar...

commercial institutes demand between 1000 and 2000 euro...
seems to me that they profit alot of hairlosspeople...

Sig

Reaction score
The following was originally posted on hairsite, just wanted to give people an update. Things are sounding good I would say, bolded something that stood out to me.

I received this email from Histogen Inc (guess I'm on a list of people to update for some reason).

There is a press release being published tomorrow that gives the 1 year updated results. I have attached the 2 images that were on the email, and reproduced the text in its entirety...

Histogen is excited to share the one year results of our pilot clinical trial of HSC for hair growth, which we will be announcing tomorrow. Please find the news release below. Particularly interesting and exciting that the new growth was not only rapid (significant growth at 3 months), but has continued over time without additional treatments. A statistically significant increase in hair count was seen at the one year follow-up.

Please feel free to share the announcement with friends, family and/or your local news outlets. As always, if I can answer any questions please contact me directly at the email below.

Hope you are well, and look forward to being in touch with further news soon!

Eileen

Eileen Naughton Brandt

Director of Communications

Histogen, Inc.

enaughton@histogeninc.com

PS – You are receiving this email as a member of Histogen’s HSC interest list. If you no longer wish to receive news from Histogen, please reply to this email and we would be happy to remove you from our list.

HSC Trial Shows Continued Significant Hair Growth at One Year Follow-up

Histogen to present one year clinical trial data at Society for Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting

SAN DIEGO, April 13, 2010 – Histogen, Inc., a regenerative medicine company developing solutions based on the products of newborn cells grown under embryonic conditions, today announced the one year data findings of its Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC) pilot clinical trial. Statistically significant new hair growth was seen in HSC-treated subjects at this follow-up timepoint, one year after their single treatment with HSC.

In addition to the number of new hairs, a statistically significant (p<0.05) increase in hair density, which is directly related to hair count over the treatment areas, was also seen at the one-year timepoint. Other efficacy factors, such as hair thickness and terminal hair density, showed an upward trend at this timepoint as well. The pilot trial tested two formulations of HSC and, although one formulation was determined to be superior, significant new hair growth was seen in both groups. (p=0.032)

This new data indicates that a single HSC treatment not only results in rapid hair growth (statistically significant increases in the number of terminal hairs, hair thickness density and hair shaft diameter was seen at three months), but that these results persist over time.

“Seeing continued hair growth at this one year follow-up is truly groundbreaking,†said Dr. Craig Ziering, Founder of Ziering Medical and Principal Investigator on the HSC clinical trial. “Not only do currently available non-surgical treatments show limited hair regrowth, but any new hair is lost shortly after discontinued use. We now have preliminary evidence that HSC significantly increases hair counts, and that the effects of a single treatment are lasting.â€

The pilot 24 subject clinical trial of HSC was a double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of safety in the clinical application of the product as an injectable for hair growth. Quantitative analysis of clinical macrophotography and subject biopsies were utilized to evaluate treatment safety and efficacy. No adverse events were seen at any timepoint, including the one year follow-up.

HSC is a proprietary formulation of naturally secreted embryonic-like proteins and growth factors. In addition to Wnt 7a, which is recognized to be critical in the induction and maintenance of hair follicle growth, the complex contains a wide variety of factors typically produced by embryonic cells and which are important to the hair cycle, such as follistatin. While these embryonic-like materials are amplified under Histogen’s unique manufacturing conditions, undesirable proteins and growth factors, including Wnt 5a, which has been shown to be associated with cancer, are eliminated.

“The development of hair follicles is the consequence of a complex interplay of factors that is still being unraveled,†said Dr. Jonathan Mansbridge, Histogen’s Chief Scientific Officer. “However, several factors critical to hair growth, such as Wnt 7a, follistatin, VEGF and KGF, are present in HSC, and their secretion by the cells is stimulated by the culture conditions we use. The embryonic conditions under which our cells are manufactured not only upregulates genes associated with hair growth, but induces significantly more production of these critical factors than seen with other culture conditions.â€

HSC is a unique composition resulting from growing newborn cells under embryonic conditions. The hypoxia/microgravity results in large amounts of follistatin (41.6 ng/ml in HSC versus 6.75 ng/ml in normal culture conditioned media), VEGF (9.1 ng/ml versus 2 ng/ml), KGF (5.4 ng/ml versus 2.1 ng/ml), and a lack of the scar-related TGF beta (0 ng/ml versus 1.7 ng/ml in normal cultures). This composition is covered by pending US patent #2010/0047305.

The full results of the HSC clinical trial will be presented at the Society for Investigative Dermatology (SID) Annual Meeting, taking place in Atlanta, May 5-8, 2010. Presentation abstracts have been published by SID are now available for review at http://sid.abstractcentral.com/login.

Histogen is currently in planning stages for the next clinical trial of HSC, which is scheduled to begin in late 2010. This next trial will further examine the safety and efficacy of the HSC product as an injectable for hair growth, and will also evaluate optimum treatment dosing and delivery. Histogen is currently seeking a Series B investment round, which will be utilized to finance these next stages of HSC development and trials.

About Histogen
Histogen, launched in 2007, seeks to redefine regenerative medicine by developing a series of high value products that do not contain embryonic stem cells or animal components. Through Histogen's proprietary bioreactors that mimic the embryonic environment, newborn cells are encouraged to naturally produce the vital proteins and growth factors from which the Company has developed its rich product portfolio. Histogen has two product families – a proprietary liquid complex of embryonic-like proteins and growth factors, and a human Extracellular Matrix (ECM) material, ExCeltrix.

For more information, please visit http://www.histogen.com.

[image]

[image]

*Edit: I fail at quoting.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sig said:
Histogen is currently in planning stages for the next clinical trial of HSC, which is scheduled to begin in late 2010. This next trial will further examine the safety and efficacy of the HSC product as an injectable for hair growth, and will also evaluate optimum treatment dosing and delivery. Histogen is currently seeking a Series B investment round, which will be utilized to finance these next stages of HSC development and trials.

About Histogen
Histogen, launched in 2007, seeks to redefine regenerative medicine by developing a series of high value products that do not contain embryonic stem cells or animal components. Through Histogen's proprietary bioreactors that mimic the embryonic environment, newborn cells are encouraged to naturally produce the vital proteins and growth factors from which the Company has developed its rich product portfolio. Histogen has two product families – a proprietary liquid complex of embryonic-like proteins and growth factors, and a human Extracellular Matrix (ECM) material, ExCeltrix.

For more information, please visit http://www.histogen.com.

[image]

[image]

*Edit: I fail at quoting.[/quote]

Only a matter of time, concerns me that they need funding though. Hope this product gets released in the next 5 years so that I can avoid using minoxidil.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Very interesting stuff, particularly this:

In addition to the number of new hairs, a statistically significant (p<0.05) increase in hair density, which is directly related to hair count over the treatment areas, was also seen at the one-year timepoint. Other efficacy factors, such as hair thickness and terminal hair density, showed an upward trend at this timepoint as well. The pilot trial tested two formulations of HSC and, although one formulation was determined to be superior, significant new hair growth was seen in both groups. (p=0.032)

This new data indicates that a single HSC treatment not only results in rapid hair growth (statistically significant increases in the number of terminal hairs, hair thickness density and hair shaft diameter was seen at three months), but that these results persist over time.

Hair count:

Baseline: 179
3 months: 193
1 year: 263.5

http://www.histogen.com/aboutus/news_events.htm#25

Give these guys the funding they need!

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
New interview with Gail Naughton, CEO of Histogen, on TheBaldTruth, very interesting:

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/articles/histogen-continued-hair-growth-interview/#more-1527

"There's a greater than 97% chance that the findings here are real, and are going to be able to be repeated"

"It seems as though we are creating new hair follicles from stem cells that are in the scalp, and we are also stimulating the stem cells within the existing hair follicles to create more hairs"

"Instead of putting in stem cells, we are stimulating the stem cells within the scalp already to create new follicles and new hairs"

She also says launch is possible within 3-4 years if all goes well.

- Histogen plans to begin two additional pilot trials of HSC as a topical treatment (with no injections below the skin) in the United States over the next six months. Dr. Craig Ziering, a Southern California hair transplant surgeon, will oversee the tests. Ziering, an osteopath who has offices in Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, La Jolla, Las Vegas, NV, and Salt Lake City, UT, also sits on Histogen's scientific advisory board. Naughton says one of the studies will apply HSC to transplanted hair follicles and is intended to test its suitability in preventing hair loss. The other U.S. study calls for applying HSC on scar tissue from previous hair transplant procedures..

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Why does it have to bee Dr. Ziering? =/