Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was doing my best to not post in this forum anymore but I just have to repeat myself one more time. Even with treatments most men will still lose hair in their 40's. You are no exception. You have the genes. It's as simple as that. I too had great hair until my late 30's. It was in my 40's that I lost the most density even with treatments. Did I go bald? No! Do I still have decent hair? Yes! Is my hair better than most of the guys half my age on this forum? Yes! And I have thyroid issues just like you @bluecyclone.

You are not going to be bald in the next decade as long as you are proactive. You keep thinking these medication are cures. They don't stop your hair from aging. You don't have aggressive hair loss. You would be just fine using finasteride and topical minoxidil. You will still shed because minoxidil can cause a CHRONIC telogen effluvium for some people. If you don't want to shed as much than stop the minoxidil. Just stay on the finasteride. And you keep injecting yourself with HGH for some odd reason. Stop messing with your hormones at your age. Let your body age gracefully and naturally. Just stick to a low carb high protein diet and keep up with weight training. Don't go too low on your carbs because you have thyroid issues. Listen to someone who survived hair loss in his 40's and who has thyroid issues like you do. You are overmedicating yourself when you barely have a problem. Overkill is not something I would advise in your case.

Ok, this will be my last post. Back into retirement.
One last question for you Doctor before you retire! There’s these docs online on YouTube called “the hair loss show”. They recommend people take 1 mg of finasteride 3 times per week (MWF). They say it yields the same results with no sides. Do you think 1mg 3x per week , or .5mg per day is better ?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
One last question for you Doctor before you retire! There’s these docs online on YouTube called “the hair loss show”. They recommend people take 1 mg of finasteride 3 times per week (MWF). They say it yields the same results with no sides. Do you think 1mg 3x per week , or .5mg per day is better ?
Don't really know but I know I will always stick with 1mg of Finasteride daily if I had no sides. Due to the short half life, I would go with 1/2mg daily vs 1mg 3X per week.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was doing my best to not post in this forum anymore but I just have to repeat myself one more time. Even with treatments most men will still lose hair in their 40's. You are no exception. You have the genes. It's as simple as that. I too had great hair until my late 30's. It was in my 40's that I lost the most density even with treatments. Did I go bald? No! Do I still have decent hair? Yes! Is my hair better than most of the guys half my age on this forum? Yes! And I have thyroid issues just like you @bluecyclone.

You are not going to be bald in the next decade as long as you are proactive. You keep thinking these medication are cures. They don't stop your hair from aging. You don't have aggressive hair loss. You would be just fine using finasteride and topical minoxidil. You will still shed because minoxidil can cause a CHRONIC telogen effluvium for some people. If you don't want to shed as much than stop the minoxidil. Just stay on the finasteride. And you keep injecting yourself with HGH for some odd reason. Stop messing with your hormones at your age. Let your body age gracefully and naturally. Just stick to a low carb high protein diet and keep up with weight training. Don't go too low on your carbs because you have thyroid issues. Listen to someone who survived hair loss in his 40's and who has thyroid issues like you do. You are overmedicating yourself when you barely have a problem. Overkill is not something I would advise in your case.

Ok, this will be my last post. Back into retirement.
So no trust in topical Dutasteride? I’m afraid to continue switching and hoped I could stick with topical Dutasteride for at least 9 months, losing ground fast.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Worried about fertility. I am not having sides on Topical Dutasteride but I’m losing ground. Over 5 months already topical Dutasteride, RU, and oral minoxidil and I’ve all but lost my right temple and overall density is changing fast.

wonder if mixing in a once a week oral Dutasteride could help.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Worried about fertility. I am not having sides on Topical Dutasteride but I’m losing ground. Over 5 months already topical Dutasteride, RU, and oral minoxidil and I’ve all but lost my right temple and overall density is changing fast.

But you’re not worried about RU? I would argue it’s much more of a health gamble than dutasteride

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s non-steroidal, I’ve had zero sides while using. I’m actually less concerned there than with Dutasteride. Obviously the lack of research and quest of purity are a concern. Nothing is slowing this massive shedding. The change in 3 years is horrible.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s non-steroidal, I’ve had zero sides while using. I’m actually less concerned there than with Dutasteride. Obviously the lack of research and quest of purity are a concern. Nothing is slowing this massive shedding. The change in 3 years is horrible.
Do you have a hair catcher? How many hairs r u losing per shower?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am in a state of utter panic. After my last derm visit 4/28. My female derm said she thought my issues were 15% MPD at the most though provided no other diagnosis.

I asked what I could do that would be safe and could help retain hair. She said there is never harm in Rogaine. I started that regimen on what was still a very think head of hair with thinning at the crown.

After about 5 days the sheds went from max 40 per day to literally handfuls of hair and it has gotten worse now that I am in week seven. Long think 5-8 inch hairs are falling like rain. The are all T hairs.

I don't know what to do. Stop now and hope I can return to the fast but in context acceptable look or continue to watch my hair become noticeable bald.

I wish I read more of the Rogaine posts before starting, Two hair seems, ranked doctor's in a major market reassured me that I could do no harm with Rogaine. At 300-400 hairs per shower I can't imagine what this will look like at the month 3 assessment. Next derm visit is in September.

Also doing Ketokonozal 2% 3/week. Paleo diet. Iron supplements (per doctor) and a Capillus 202 3/week.

I'm ready to stop all cold turkey accept the diet and iron.

The loss is diffuse and began 8/1/2016.

Please advise.
Give oral minoxidil a shot. It might fix all of that but no guarantees but it is much stronger for hair growth than topical.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wore a wig when I shed to baldness. Maybe hair system to get through the shed. It's hard to know. My shed was beneficial and put everything into anagen together but It's easier for me just to put a wig on. Just a thought.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think im loosing my hair in the same pattern as you do. Ive been loosing my for the last 2 1/2 years. Everyday about 100-200 hairs. some days more, some days a little less.
Are you also loosing hairs on the side of your head ? And what about body hairs ?
Oral minoxidil.

Haaribol

My Regimen
Reaction score
Give oral minoxidil a shot. It might fix all of that but no guarantees but it is much stronger for hair growth than topical.

I think he was (is?) already on that.

@bluecyclone: 500 per shower, aren't you exaggerating a bit??
It has been said before in this thread, but if i were you i would either stick with your current treatments for at least a year, or quit everything and see what happens. Buzzing your hair in the process might help too, but i can understand that you don't want to do that yet (it would be my last resort, too).
If I were you, I wouldn't touch oral dutasteride. Not because i truly think that it would affect your fertility, but because of the extra worries you'll have about it.

Do you have people in your surroundings who can objectively judge the status of your hair (compared with a year or two ago)? I bet that not a single person has noticed even the slightest decrease in your hair quality yet.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think he was (is?) already on that.

@bluecyclone: 500 per shower, aren't you exaggerating a bit??
It has been said before in this thread, but if i were you i would either stick with your current treatments for at least a year, or quit everything and see what happens. Buzzing your hair in the process might help too, but i can understand that you don't want to do that yet (it would be my last resort, too).
If I were you, I wouldn't touch oral dutasteride. Not because i truly think that it would affect your fertility, but because of the extra worries you'll have about it.

Do you have people in your surroundings who can objectively judge the status of your hair (compared with a year or two ago)? I bet that not a single person has noticed even the slightest decrease in your hair quality yet.
Yes thanks. I’m too afraid of oral Dutasteride. Going to stick with what I’m on but my temples and hairline have thinned. I was still a Norwood 1 in August and I’m a NW2 now. I wish I were exaggerating. Doctor said it’s a chronic Telogen Effluvium with mild male pattern baldness. Pull test back and sides = to top. Overall hair diameter is less than 50% of a year ago.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes thanks. I’m too afraid of oral Dutasteride. Going to stick with what I’m on but my temples and hairline have thinned. I was still a Norwood 1 in August and I’m a NW2 now. I wish I were exaggerating. Doctor said it’s a chronic Telogen Effluvium with mild male pattern baldness. Pull test back and sides = to top. Overall hair diameter is less than 50% of a
Yes thanks. I’m too afraid of oral Dutasteride. Going to stick with what I’m on but my temples and hairline have thinned. I was still a Norwood 1 in August and I’m a NW2 now. I wish I were exaggerating. Doctor said it’s a chronic Telogen Effluvium with mild male pattern baldness. Pull test back and sides = to top. Overall hair diameter is less than 50% of a year ago.
Wash hair 3-4 times per week. And yes yield over 500 each time.
Not to say I’m doubtful— but that seems... impossible? Wouldn’t you be close to bald by now? If you were shedding THAT many hairs. Your also losing hairs through out the day— so that would mean your losing 500+ hairs a day? That doesn’t make sense