Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, nobody takes folks with Diffuse thinning and intact hairline seriously on this forum.

And acting like what?

I took finasteride, it ruined my health.

Now I’m accepting my fate.

In the course of almost three years on this forum I’ve only started 3 or 4 threads, and replied to people less than 100 times.

I wasn’t whining a lot, and certainly never said that hair loss ruined or will ruin life for me.

Well I’ll post in couple years and you’ll see for yourself that it’s not an imaginary thing.
Are you even diagnosed with male pattern baldness?

Pleasenotsoearly

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the best thing you can possibly do if you’re unsure of whether you are thinning or not, how bad it is, and, (should you need them/wish to start them), a good length to keep for a year while you let medication take full effect. The hair will be so short that you won’t see much shedding, (especially in the shower), which can help keep it from dominating your thoughts.

Additionally, it will give you instant peace of mind regarding whether or not you are actually thinning or not, the extent to which it has occurred, and the pattern you are dealing with. The anxiety of not knowing is far worse than any answer you may uncover this way.

It takes a lot of will power to go this route and it can seem counter intuitive for someone who really loves their hair to cut it all off temporarily, but I really think it’s the best advice for someone in the position you were in or that OP is in. I’ve definitely suggested it before, but it’s not a path a lot of people, (including OP), are comfortable with, but your post is a perfect example of why I recommend it.

Yeah buzzing your hair is great for these reasons.

You can clearly see what you’re dealing with.

I already knew that I’m having Norwood 6/7 pattern and buzz cut just confirmed it.

But i mainly buzzed it cause of the heat and cause i got tired of how thin my hair looks.

as for treatments, I’m not going to take any AA’s, finasteride had devastating effects on my health.

Thankfully close to 2 years after discontinuation i can tell that most of my sides have resolved and the ones i still have seem to be improving.

so I’ll just focus on taking good care of myself, exercising and eating right.

I’m hoping that it would slow down hair loss for me, although i definitely don’t count on it.

I think that most likely I’m going have to start shaving by the time i reach my 30’s.

well it is what is, feel happy for folks who can maintain or regrow on fina with no or minimal sides.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think that diffuse thinning with an intact hairline is androgenetic. I remember seeing a man on the street with it and at first it looked like he was thinning on top. But I noticed that he is thinning ALL OVER, not just on top. This is other type of hair loss and not male pattern baldness.

Orwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think that diffuse thinning with an intact hairline is androgenetic. I remember seeing a man on the street with it and at first it looked like he was thinning on top. But I noticed that he is thinning ALL OVER, not just on top. This is other type of hair loss and not male pattern baldness.
I think it is more of a subtype of male pattern baldness. Diffuse thinners often respond well to 5ARs.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
For those that are sharing helpful perspectives, thank you.

I know I’m having male pattern baldness issues in a N7 diffuse pattern. Hairline hasn’t quite receded but has thinned out a great deal. I know male pattern baldness is main cause but in the past I was regrowing enough to at least keep the front density. I’m losing that battle.

After about 2 wasted years on topical Finasteride I’m suffering through Propecia and sides again, trying to make it 6 months. I think I also need to fight T.

have RU and considering CB. Either way I know androgens even with low DHT are wreaking havoc. Only bright side is that I’m jacked at 43 with 10% body fat. Propecia hurting my libido and EQ though.

Attachments

• A2928D60-8054-4508-BFA8-6354CB74279E.jpeg
    A2928D60-8054-4508-BFA8-6354CB74279E.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 7CDDC20F-9BCE-45BB-907A-5E880BB2873D.jpeg
    7CDDC20F-9BCE-45BB-907A-5E880BB2873D.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
still using 1mg Propecia ever night. Still getting some sides but managing, haven’t noticed any difference at all, still thinning and the hair that remains is now wispy and lighter.

also the hairline is eroding. not a just temple recession pattern but thinning out center etc.

Attachments

• 2F42EE3F-2479-4A81-9B44-C8BA0F55D42D.jpeg
    2F42EE3F-2479-4A81-9B44-C8BA0F55D42D.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 7401128A-2DF7-47B0-ADB3-E155AE8A123B.jpeg
    7401128A-2DF7-47B0-ADB3-E155AE8A123B.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 195

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Keep popping those pills and forget about hair loss for 2 years. Then re-assess. And im sure you'll keep what u have now.

Keep reminding urself that u have a very good chance of maintaining on finasteride for years to come. Thats how I stopped obsessing over hair loss and taking 43 pics every day.

Orwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
For those that are sharing helpful perspectives, thank you.

I know I’m having male pattern baldness issues in a N7 diffuse pattern. Hairline hasn’t quite receded but has thinned out a great deal. I know male pattern baldness is main cause but in the past I was regrowing enough to at least keep the front density. I’m losing that battle.

After about 2 wasted years on topical Finasteride I’m suffering through Propecia and sides again, trying to make it 6 months. I think I also need to fight T.

have RU and considering CB. Either way I know androgens even with low DHT are wreaking havoc. Only bright side is that I’m jacked at 43 with 10% body fat. Propecia hurting my libido and EQ though.
Has a derm said that you are thinning in a diffuse NW7 pattern?

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's androgenic. It's is called DUPA (diffuse unpatterned alopecia) and nothing can stop it, absolutely nothing.

I have this curse at only 22 years old

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just seems crazy for DUPA to start so fast but my thinning is just about everywhere with more noticeable miniaturization at the hairline. In the 4 years since this started hair has changed completely and density is way worse. Going to stick with the Propecia but so far noticed no change.

does everyone notice the frontal diffuse loss? I’m not sure if it can recover shedding 200+ only most are now shorter than 3 cm before they were all long...

Attachments

• C6164ED2-B6E2-48BF-BD50-E3A127A4DF83.jpeg
    C6164ED2-B6E2-48BF-BD50-E3A127A4DF83.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have objectively thinned. I’m sorry diffuse loss doesn’t meet expectations here but it’s real and the volume is just as difficult to manage.

3 years oral minoxidil, 1.8 years topical Finasteride and now 2 months Propecia and RU and I continue to shed and regrow sad dying hairs, parts widen and hairline is diffusing. I don’t know what to do. I’m thicker in the back.

Attachments

• CB6432FD-F042-4A0F-9667-0911C3CA8F87.jpeg
    CB6432FD-F042-4A0F-9667-0911C3CA8F87.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 130
  • F9409D7D-24C0-4305-AAC8-C79448B1F064.jpeg
    F9409D7D-24C0-4305-AAC8-C79448B1F064.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 125

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dry no sun. I get it. I know it’s good hair I’m just trying to slow it down. As good as it is today it won’t matter if it’s diffused bald by the time I’m 50. If any of the treatments worked I would be gone and move in with my life. But I’m taking meds that make me feel horrible don’t work and I’m not down fighting.

Attachments

• 705C62A0-E647-406B-9C97-300E3EA95C14.jpeg
    705C62A0-E647-406B-9C97-300E3EA95C14.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 124

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had an insane baseline. It’s diffuse and constant heavy shed with regrowing but thinning. Makes sense for age but the 1mg Finasteride seems to only have made it worse. I was on 1% topical Finasteride almost 2 years and that didn’t do much. Iron infusion helped.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Did you ever get a reason why your red blood cell count is so low and you had to take iron IV's? Low red blood cell count is probably why you have hair loss, not enough oxygen to your scalp. It can also be a matter of life or death. BTW if you think every doctor is competent you have a lot to learn, it took 5 doctors trying to get my blood pressure down to a normal level after chemotherapy. I have been misdiagnosed by doctors, and so have other family members. Finding a good doctor is very hard these days.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I run into the same issue with the established health systems. Labs might be a the very fringe of a wide range and because of that the don’t consider levels clinically relevant.

The ranges are such none sense where a health 20 year old could be in range with an 85 year old.

I raised my levels through supplements and diet to get it just in range so I can’t get more IV support.

digging deeper but, I would think the Propecia would have made a difference if the issue was mainly male pattern baldness. I continue to treat it that way because that is permanent but there’s clear more going on.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude, you're crazy. My brother once had a heart rate of 120 sitting at the dinner table and claimed he was like a hummingbird, and now he has heart failure. You claim having a very low red blood cell count is OK as is taking iron IV's (I was near death when it happened to me). You will learn the lesson the hard way. I have had so many doctor appointments throughout my medical life it is a stack of bills over an inch thick, all paid. The ranges you talk about are used to diagnose conditions and to give warnings about what might be occurring. Low red blood cells with almost no iron in the body is not a normal condition. Only a moron doctor thinks that. There was some guy in here posting a few years back with hair loss, then when he talked more we found out he had a horrible diet with no protein or meat, then was wondering why he couldn't grow hair. Duh. You can post a million times here but that isn't going to stop hair loss, until you get a competent doctor. Or kiss your hair goodbye.

Northface32

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. I run into the same issue with the established health systems. Labs might be a the very fringe of a wide range and because of that the don’t consider levels clinically relevant.

The ranges are such none sense where a health 20 year old could be in range with an 85 year old.

I raised my levels through supplements and diet to get it just in range so I can’t get more IV support.

digging deeper but, I would think the Propecia would have made a difference if the issue was mainly male pattern baldness. I continue to treat it that way because that is permanent but there’s clear more going on.
Yeah CLEARLY, the more going on is your aging, your in your forties. You simply have age related hairloss. No finasteride or minoxidil or iron or whatever is going to fix that. You have to accept your not 20 or 30 anymore. Your not going bald, your just losing density due to age. Stop seeking doctors that are just taking your money and telling you nothing. You need to get mental help. Stop chasing 20 year old girls, settle down with a woman your age. You seem to think the party won't ever stop, but I assure you man you don't want to be that 50-60 year old single guy trying to hit on 20 something's. Don't be that creep. Lol.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah CLEARLY, the more going on is your aging, your in your forties. You simply have age related hairloss. No finasteride or minoxidil or iron or whatever is going to fix that. You have to accept your not 20 or 30 anymore. Your not going bald, your just losing density due to age. Stop seeking doctors that are just taking your money and telling you nothing. You need to get mental help. Stop chasing 20 year old girls, settle down with a woman your age. You seem to think the party won't ever stop, but I assure you man you don't want to be that 50-60 year old single guy trying to hit on 20 something's. Don't be that creep. Lol.
I agree the most part of what you said.

@bluecyclone: bruh, coming from someone who shares the same experiences as you, starting from insane baseline to diffused and jumping on oral finasteride that gave horrendous Telogen Effluvium/sheds then switching topical finasteride which, if I had known, I would not have taken it and partially the fact our diffused hair is a part of aging...acceptance is key to move forward. I still believe one should still maintain and even improve what they currently have and slow aging process.

If any consolation, your hair is at least a Norwood scale below mine and I’m younger than you. f*** social norm and keep getting younger women and besides isn’t 40s the new 30s? Lol