Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
It’s falling fast. When I tell you I had incredible dense hair 3 years ago I’m not lying.

this is happening despite treatment. I’m hitting a point now where the hairline is going. Small hairs all over that don’t get long.

you can see here in the sun.
You are finally getting your mature hairline in you early 40's. Better late than earlier in life.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can deal with a mature hairline. The crazy shed and diffuse miniaturization sucks. Still seems like such an abrupt change in less than 3 years. It it was 1% per year not 10-15% I’m chill out and live my life. I don’t know if I should try topical Dutasteride or stop everything but the oral minoxidil. Since starting AAs my situation really got much worse in the front.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I can deal with a mature hairline. The crazy shed and diffuse miniaturization sucks. Still seems like such an abrupt change in less than 3 years. It it was 1% per year not 10-15% I’m chill out and live my life. I don’t know if I should try topical Dutasteride or stop everything but the oral minoxidil. Since starting AAs my situation really got much worse in the front.
I think you should stop everything and leave this forum for a month. Your hair is thinning slightly but you’ve put so much sh*t into your system it’s anyone’s guess at this point. You’re on here constantly posting pictures which I can only imagine is a form of coping since as far as i can tell you have never listened to anyone’s actual advice. You are going to do what you’re going to do. That much is clear. But this forum is not helping you other than serving as a place for you to vent. Seriously. I think you should get off all medication for a period of time and then re-assess in a few months. You could be doing more harm than good right now. But I know you won’t. For the same reason I can’t drop dutasteride even though it’s made my hair look and feel exponentially worse in 3 months. It’s terrifying to not be on anything. But you still have so much hair that you could pull it off and give yourself and your body a chance to reset. the best drug for you right now might be no drugs. Just a thought.

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you should stop everything and leave this forum for a month. Your hair is thinning slightly but you’ve put so much sh*t into your system it’s anyone’s guess at this point. You’re on here constantly posting pictures which I can only imagine is a form of coping since as far as i can tell you have never listened to anyone’s actual advice. You are going to do what you’re going to do. That much is clear. But this forum is not helping you other than serving as a place for you to vent. Seriously. I think you should get off all medication for a period of time and then re-assess in a few months. You could be doing more harm than good right now. But I know you won’t. For the same reason I can’t drop dutasteride even though it’s made my hair look and feel exponentially worse in 3 months. It’s terrifying to not be on anything. But you still have so much hair that you could pull it off and give yourself and your body a chance to reset. the best drug for you right now might be no drugs. Just a thought.
I am trying to get the courage to stop the medication. I got fooled by the idea that:

‘the sooner you start meds the better’
‘minoxidil and Finasteride cannot hurt your hair’

28k later, 13 doctors in 5 countries, horrible sides... and nothing good.

Now I don’t know what’s working or not all I know is I had GOAT hair at 40 and now despite the great coverage it’s a fraction of what it was with a really rapid decline in progress.

MKP05

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am trying to get the courage to stop the medication. I got fooled by the idea that:

‘the sooner you start meds the better’
‘minoxidil and Finasteride cannot hurt your hair’

28k later, 13 doctors in 5 countries, horrible sides... and nothing good.

Now I don’t know what’s working or not all I know is I had GOAT hair at 40 and now despite the great coverage it’s a fraction of what it was with a really rapid decline in progress.
Yeah I’m going through the same thing. Perfect hair to sh*t hair in a matter of 20 months on finasteride and now dutasteride. And my hair is really sh*t. Paper thin all over including the sides and back. Hairline already receded a full 1/2 inch. You have so much hair left that you could absorb a shed if you stopped treatment. I’m one shed away from total scalp exposure. I know it sucks but be thankful for what you have and that you’re still in a position to try stuff including stopping medication. I’m not in a position to lose another hair. Take advantage or you’re just going to end up where I am in a couple of years.

RockChalk

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think whatever you’re doing is working. I know it’s not perfect, but for a 40 year old your hair is pretty darn good. I’ve lost more in 7 months than you have in 3 years. I’m guessing hair loss is going to happen, but treatment is slowing it down. So it is working. Eventually our genes are going to win out.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve tried just about every suggestion I’ve received.

I acknowledge I still have solid hair. But it’s changing fast and I trying to stop it just like everyone on here that hasn’t responded to Finasteride or had to stop due to sides. Or the people that are dealing with things unrelated to androgens.

Yeah the venting is dumb, but it helps. I’m spending a lot of time and money seeking answers and ideas. And I’ll share anything that I learn along the way from most of the best doctors in the country. Even they have been confused.

Mayra Singh

My Regimen
Reaction score
The possibility of any hair treatments to work depends on different points. Like the condition of your hairs, genetic hair condition, hair care, and your physical health. If you are not able to the treatment you hair fall with regular medication, it can also mean that your hair fall can be caused by some disease. So I will recommend consulting with your doctor regarding this possibility as well.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone catch this WSJ article? Basically a Finasteride commercial that claims balding is now optional.

Attachments

• 48030AE8-0671-4006-AD6E-A8DF0AA724C8.jpeg
    48030AE8-0671-4006-AD6E-A8DF0AA724C8.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 195

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone catch this WSJ article? Basically a Finasteride commercial that claims balding is now optional.

Just another pile of bullshit written as an exercise in coping. sh*t like this is the equivalent of smelling your own farts before declaring that they objectively smell like roses.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are high Prolactin levels a result of Finasteride? I had two elevated labs three weeks apart. Topcial sides haven’t been as obvious but this and a low IGF-1 have me very concerned that even the topical is messing with my balance.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinning so rapidly all of the hair is considerably thinner. Can this be caused by topical Finasteride? I don’t know what path to take but the diffuse thinning has hit new degrees of speed and havoc. Tons of regrowth but thin and short and falls out at a slight touch. Hairline back .75 inches since June.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing has helped.

I added .5% topical Dutasteride 2 times a week to
1% topical Finasteride everyday.
50mg RU everyday
I’ve lost my temples and vertex is thin and flat, long hair is a few clunks covering a diffuse mess.

I’m pretty sure I’ve fucked myself ofer with side effects. My semen is watery and libido way down.

Attachments

• 07A3A8BC-3F71-4A20-98B1-ED6B9C2F3CFC.jpeg
    07A3A8BC-3F71-4A20-98B1-ED6B9C2F3CFC.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 219

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing has helped.

I added .5% topical Dutasteride 2 times a week to
1% topical Finasteride everyday.
50mg RU everyday
Also 5-7mg oral minoxidil daily

I’ve lost my temples and vertex is thin and flat, long hair is a few clunks covering a diffuse mess. How am I still losing hair and miniaturizing?

I’m pretty sure I’ve fucked myself ofer with side effects. My semen is watery and libido way down.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t disagree. Just the idea of stopping everything is terrifying. I might hold on the Dutasteride only two uses and shedding ramped up. Also my itch only comes when I use the meds.

might ease back on the topical Finasteride from ED to 2-3 a week.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man, I just spent about 45 minutes going through this entire thread top to bottom and I wanted to introduce myself. I can relate to much of what you're saying on here except that I am 20 years old. Having sudden hairloss shortly after I turned 20, I turned into panic mode. I had gone through a really rough relationship ending and combining that with the first notice of hairloss I was met by a good ole pal named anxiety. these past 7 months have been challenging to say the least. Being a type A personality combined with obsessive thinking and ruminating it's been extremely difficult to deal with this initial exposure to what we call aging. I've met with docs, derms, poured through hundreds of hours researching and reading just about everything there is to know both in science and anecdotally. I unfortunately do not have the luxury of being 40 and having the money to do some of the things you have done or lived the life that you have lived thus far but I know I am still more blessed than so many others up to this point.

I'm gonna drop a few pictures showing my current situation in case anyone is interested.

I sent you a few PM's I hope you' get the chance to reply to them, i'm going to keep an eye on this thread and probably post an update every so often on here as well.

I am also considering topical Duta such as yourself if I am able to get it in liposomal formulation for a reasonable price. Up to this point I have stayed away from any 5ar inhibitor both oral and topical over fear of sides and more specifically the de-myelination theories stemming from the PFS sufferers. I will continue to follow Mustang's new thread for this and I am trying to get in contact with him via PM for the exact prescription formula he is using.

I had extremely diffuse loss last fall that has thickened up pretty well overall. Now the only thing not improving and in fact getting worse is my hairline itself. I have gone from Norwood 1 to Nearing NW2 right temple, nearing Norwood 1.5 left temple. Ru58841 seems to not be effective on my temples, and I am experimenting with topical sarms, and so far S4 has not done sh*t. Someone has posted about S23 working well topically so I may try that next before going topical with Duta when I get desperate enough.
Sorry this is hitting you so early. I know it’s tough in here when you still have solid hair. I would keep going with the topical AA from what I’m reading the Dutasteride could be a good option but at your age there are factors to weigh (fertility).

...doing it all over again I would have eased into a topical AA first, once stable consider oral minoxidil. Keep it simple and avoid using too much too often without time to evaluate. Easy to panic and you could be doing more harm than good.

also pay attention to the hair that’s falling. Early in it was clearly Telogen Effluvium, now the tapered ends and low diameter confirm diffuse male pattern baldness.

for the Telogen Effluvium stress is a real factor. Most likely uncovering or accelerating your eventual fight with male pattern baldness.

responded to your DM as well.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
After adding the Duta the shed and itch got much worse. I’m fucked my density is about 20% of when this all started and the temples are GONE. Sides thin with a noticeable increase in density in the back aside from the nape.

I either destroyed my own head or it was too aggressive to slow despite just about every f*****g option. I am too afraid to stop everything. Rather die than lose my hair.