Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
This is such a key question which needs to be answered. @bluecyclone you have spent so much time over the past few years looking for the “cure” but it’s very possible that the best medicine you could possibly take right now is to control your anxiety. You need to get a hold of yourself. Quite frankly you should take a sticky note out and write yourself a prescription which reads “I will not obsess over my hair”. Stick it on your fridge as a constant reminder. I’m being serious. Your worst enemy right now is very likely yourself. Chronic stress will impact your hair. If that doesn’t work look into prescription and non prescription forms of anti anxiety meds . Until you get your anxiety under control you will never feel good about yourself no matter how your hair looks. And I have to agree with the others that your hair looks 99% better than anyone else your age. But you have to add stress control to your regimen ASAP.
His hair looks better than guys half his age or younger except for @Northface32

Last edited:

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
@bluecyclone, just curious how much do you think about your hair in day on the average?
Not that often really. It comes in moments like, going about my day and look at a keyboard full of hair or the itch won’t go away and I feel the top of my head and realize how much less was there than a week ago. I’m rarely in a mirror, in fact the mirror sometimes helps as I know it doesn’t look anywhere near as bad as it feels or the shed hairs suggest. I wish it was just receding, could deal. But the vertex is down to one thin layer and the shedding never stops. I get it’s extreme to worry while I have hair but it’s more about being helpless despite extreme treatments like RU and Dutasteride and zero answers on the autoimmune situation. I have crazy low WBC, iron IV helped but that’s off the table and it dropped from 325 back to the pre IV 32.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not that often really. It comes in moments like, going about my day and look at a keyboard full of hair or the itch won’t go away and I feel the top of my head and realize how much less was there than a week ago. I’m rarely in a mirror, in fact the mirror sometimes helps as I know it doesn’t look anywhere near as bad as it feels or the shed hairs suggest. I wish it was just receding, could deal. But the vertex is down to one thin layer and the shedding never stops. I get it’s extreme to worry while I have hair but it’s more about being helpless despite extreme treatments like RU and Dutasteride and zero answers on the autoimmune situation. I have crazy low WBC, iron IV helped but that’s off the table and it dropped from 325 back to the pre IV 32.
Sounds like you have an anxiety disorder, specifically something along the lines of panic disorder. If you can go about your day just fine and then one moment you start to obsess and go into a full panic attack feeling your hair, it could be treatable with a small dose of a benzodiazepine (xanax or klonopin).

When I was at my worst point of obsessing over my hair I was given lexapro and klonopin. I believe the lexapro helped me long term, but the klonopin really helped me when I started to feel panic. It’s a dangerous drug and you don’t want to overuse it, but a small dose in times of acute anxiety can really help.

Read everyone’s comments, your hair is exceptionally good for your age. I know it feels like it gets worse week to week, but it’s not. Your pics from a year ago look exactly the same as the recent ones you’ve posted.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
To cap it off: you're needlessly poisoning your body. You're taking minoxidil which has shown an increase in LV mass, orally. And are on potent AAs that have myriad side effects, probably-long term ( e.g, on cognition, mood by inhibiting neurosteroids). And could leave you worse of in the end, depending how you react on them.

Obviously I'm not against medication but it's a trade-off, a risk and decision not taken lightly. One you made just to have a mental safety-net against the angst of the inevitable decay that's aging. A broken one as well, btw, seeing as you keep fretting and posting.

Get some help man.
Can someone answer one question.

Do follicles miniaturize for reasons other than male pattern baldness? I’d stop everything but all I have been told by doctors and these forums is that without powerful AA’s each follicle will thin and die. I can see waves of diffuse vellum hair with no color.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick update. Stopped all but topical Finasteride 1% daily and oral minoxidil 5mg.

hair is still eroding fast but at the same time looks ok.

Is it normal to get small 1cm ‘spots’ of increased thinning? I have ‘hole’ different places in hairline and vertex. Hair is much lighter, shed almost all lighter 2-3 inch hairs.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick update. Stopped all but topical Finasteride 1% daily and oral minoxidil 5mg.

hair is still eroding fast but at the same time looks ok.

Is it normal to get small 1cm ‘spots’ of increased thinning? I have ‘hole’ different places in hairline and vertex. Hair is much lighter, shed almost all lighter 2-3 inch hairs.

why did you drop topical dutasteride?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went two applications and the shed was so incredible I couldn’t continue. It was a crazy 400 hair, mostly good healthy-ish longer hair, after just two applications 4 days apart. That and the fear of the damage to the front made me stop. The thinning is hard to see because it is still
Mostly diffuse, still mostly dense but the ratio of healthy to miniaturized hair has gone past the 50/50 route. I get why I’m photos it looks the same, still cover just flat when 6 months ago there were layers and hair could stand up in its own. In October that hairline was intact, last June it was dense, now at this rate I’ll loose another .5 inches by June.

shirtless pic was from June. The front density is gone a lot of thin 2 inch hairs that fall out. You can see the forelock holes.

Attachments

• 383D6E77-E2A8-42B3-9D54-A7C3B94C9786.jpeg
    383D6E77-E2A8-42B3-9D54-A7C3B94C9786.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 20F4DB46-7687-4338-AFE7-194B19193E62.jpeg
    20F4DB46-7687-4338-AFE7-194B19193E62.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 015CC881-6E21-42B7-B497-87EC6A36AF1B.jpeg
    015CC881-6E21-42B7-B497-87EC6A36AF1B.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I went two applications and the shed was so incredible I couldn’t continue. It was a crazy 400 hair, mostly good healthy-ish longer hair, after just two applications 4 days apart. That and the fear of the damage to the front made me stop. The thinning is hard to see because it is still
Mostly diffuse, still mostly dense but the ratio of healthy to miniaturized hair has gone past the 50/50 route. I get why I’m photos it looks the same, still cover just flat when 6 months ago there were layers and hair could stand up in its own. In October that hairline was intact, last June it was dense, now at this rate I’ll loose another .5 inches by June.

shirtless pic was from June. The front density is gone a lot of thin 2 inch hairs that fall out. You can see the forelock holes.

You just HAVE to be trolling, from the pics you showed there is zero wrong with your hair and aren't you just over 40 years old? dude, get a grip.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Same deal. I have solid hair for my age but it’s thinning fast and I’m just trying to stabilize.

the forelock is noticeably thin compared to the June photo. And the temples have receded an inch since that photo was taken.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Same deal. I have solid hair for my age but it’s thinning fast and I’m just trying to stabilize.

the forelock is noticeably thin compared to the June photo. And the temples have receded an inch since that photo was taken.
Let's be honest here. Look at your photo and just say it's thinning and leave out the word fast. You have age related hair loss. It's minor and just stick to your treatments. Don't change them now for a year. You don't have aggressive balding. You can't have that much density and hair for your age to call what you have aggressive or fast hair loss.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest here. Look at your photo and just say it's thinning and leave out the word fast. You have age related hair loss. It's minor and just stick to your treatments. Don't change them now for a year. You don't have aggressive balding. You can't have that much density and hair for your age to call what you have aggressive or fast hair loss.

Exactly this lol. When my male pattern baldness started at 18, I lost more hair in 3 months than this guy in years lol.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a great head start when the thinning began. But I’m losing 10% density each year. To it feels fast I get people gave it worse.

again just trying to slow or stabilize but I’m still losing ground on treatments, so I’m here looking for options.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
It may not have all fallen out in a year but at almost 2 years on topical Finasteride and almost 3 years on oral minoxidil I should not have lost over 50% of my hair. When dry the length and darkness can hide a lot. This isn’t wet just a mild sweat.

the hair is f*****g gone at the temple and thin as f*** at vertex.

Attachments

• ED7A8781-95D6-4948-B8A3-13A9BE63B944.jpeg
    ED7A8781-95D6-4948-B8A3-13A9BE63B944.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 246