Going Bald In Less Than A Year, Need Advice

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it really happen this fast? Can a thinner than normal but still long hair fall out and miniaturize in the next cycle?

I’m losing my f*****g mind with this happening so fast. My head is diffuse out in a NW7 a month into Propecia. I’ll post pick from that device, for skin but takes magnified photos of hair as well in the pore setting.

I just need to see the amount of miniaturized hairs because the length was hiding thinning. My forelock will be gone by end of the year. Going for PRP next week clueless.

this was completely filled in a dense a week ago.
I tried PRP on myself. I’m not sure If it did anything. Some ppl even have shock lost from PRP treatments so that’s something to take into account.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it worth mixing RU into topical Finasteride solution? How much into a 60ml bottle? Is a sealed freezer kept bag from Kane stable after 2.5 years?

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried PRP on myself. I’m not sure If it did anything. Some ppl even have shock lost from PRP treatments so that’s something to take into account.
Shock loss, ha of course not even your own blood is a safe option in this nightmare. You guys living with this in your twenties are champions. This sh*t is crazy, crazier that medical community doesn’t seem to give a damn...

ShedderOnRecovery

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello mate. After researching for a year at least, I've finally found someone who shares the same disease. Agressive shedding and progressive diffuse thinning of the hair. I know how it feels to shed 200+ hairs everyday, and having to unclogg the shower drain at least once a month. I know how frustrating it feels to not be able to figure out how to stop this sh*t. Every time I clean the house, the broom catches huge 'nests' of hair, every time I run my hand through my hair 4-10 hairs come out every f*****g time. Every shower is a demoralizing nightmare, and I've been avoiding looking myself in the mirror for too long because of the impact of seeing my hair disappear before my eyes. People don't seem to notice, but it is only because of hair lenght and 'camuflaging'. Just like you, I used to enjoy a very thick and dense mane of jet black hair; used to be long and heavy and styled into a manbun (actually your hair and skull shape looks a lot like mine, to the point of doppleganger sh*t). I've been to 4 dermatologists who gave me different diagnoses: one said it was regular Androgenetic Alopecia, the second said it was Telogen Effluvium, another said it was co morbid Androgenetic Alopecia and Telogen Effluvium. However, the last doctor (Harvard graduate) realized there was an underlying problem, and it probably wasn't typical Androgenetic Alopecia. She said she had seen these cases before and told me that because of how rare they are, little if any research is being made and it's often dismissed as typical Androgenetic Alopecia or Telogen Effluvium. She also told me that dermatologists are not sure on how to classify this type of hair loss and it often gets treated with a trial-and-error aproach until something does the charm, however most of the time nothing works. I was lucky enough to find a derm with an open mind and genuine scientific interest in ideopathic hair loss (challenging balding, as she calls it). When she diagnosed me, she asked a lot of question about things that are usually left out by most derms. After years of treating cases like ours (some successfully some not) she has been able to find a pattern: abundant, dense and thick hair; abrupt triggering of hair loss related to physical or emotional stress; stupid amount of daily non-stop shedding; diffuse thinning of the hair eventually leading to miniaturization and balding (a process that according to her can take years, but in some cases months); no receded hair line (in severe cases it can happen and might be comorbid with Androgenetic Alopecia); acne during teenage years and adulthood; smelly scalp syndrome; excessive sebum build up; no response to traditional methods. On top of that, some other symptoms have led her to believe it might have something to do with some sort of bacterial infection. A couple of studies (one from 2019) assesed bacterial diversity in follicles of people suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia and controls, and it appears Propionibacterium acnes can grow larger colonies in affected follicles compared to healthy ones. This, she said, can be related to the smelly hair syndrome characterized by a rancid, cheese like smell of the scalp (regardless of how many times you wash your hair): P. acnes metabolizes propionic acid as a subproduct; propionic acid smells like cheese or rancid milk, and is actually what makes cheese smell like cheese. She told me that large uncontrolled colonies of P. acnes can produce a rancid smell in the scalp and lead to immflamation and thus hair loss. Anyways, I'll list the highlights of my diagnoses, maybe you can find similarities with it. Then I'll explain my treatment:
- Straight jet black hair. Very dense and thick. Heavy ponytail.
- Hair shedding started 3-4 years ago.
- It started about the same time as smelly hair syndrome.
- Before hair loss began, I started a weight loss program involving dukan diet and intense CrossFit sessions. I lost over 25 pounds and was shredded as hell.
- Around the same time, I started to work on my thesis. Very stressful part of my life (physical and mental).
- Also, I had moderate acne during adolescence that evolved into light adult acne.
- My father does not have Androgenetic Alopecia but his hair has just started thinning (he's 60), my grandfather hair looks like yours but he is almost 90. However there is history of hair loss from my father's side (great grandfather was balf, but it started as regular Androgenetic Alopecia).
- From November 2018 shedding became more agressive. Coinciding with mental breakdown and intense CrossFit training (I had let myself go and was trying to get the 6pack back). I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in April 2019. I was put on antidepressants and mood stabilizers.
- First visit to dermatologist because of smelly hair syndrome and hair loss. She put me on antibiotics and ketoconazole shampoo. Also, prescribed me hair growth peptide treatment every night and minoxidil 5% every night.
- Smelly scalp was almost gone. Hair shedding didn't stop.
- Second visit to derm, 3 months later. Put me on minoxidil 5% twice a day in addition to peptide solution (now 3 nights per week). Prescribed more antibiotics for 20 days.
- Smelly scalp gone. Hair shedding didn't improve
- Third visit to deem. Started mesotherapy (once a month) and dermarolling 1.5 mm once per week (every Tuesday, you have to be exact).
- For the first time in years my hair does not smell and shedding is almost gone. I literally do not remember a day in the las 4 years without hair falling all over the place now I can grab my hair and pull it hard and just a couple of hairs (max 3) show on my hand (compared to the large amount obtained in my first pull test).
- I'm not really sure what stopped hair loss, but I'm sure it wasn't minoxidil. It is not my first time using mixidl 5 %, oral or topic and im afraid at some point it worsened shedding. I'm limiting the use now, talked to my doctor and she recommended progressive withdrawal of minoxidil. I'm using it just once per day now.
- I should tell you that every since my bipolarity diagnose I made some changes in my life. I stopped worrying about my physique a lot (even hair loss), I don't do CrossFit anymore although, it is really liberating to know I don't HAVE to do it anymore. I'm sliming down, sure, but I'm happier. I'm lucky enough to have an amazing boss that allows me to make changes in order to improve my mental health too (I'm more productive now and he's happier). The fact that my head does not stink anymore and my hair stopped shedding is all I needed. I'm fine with it, even if I don't grow anymore hair.

Finally, I advise you not to listen to the balding community that think you have BDD. YOU DON'T!!!
You are just unlucky enough to have contracted or developed an understudied almost unknown disease. I hope this post gives you hope. I hope you overcome it, I really do. If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know. Also, I would like to see if your history of hair loss relates in anyway to what happened to me, or if the pattern my Doctor found is compatible with your disease.
Cheers!

P.D: you don't have BDD!!!

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello mate. After researching for a year at least, I've finally found someone who shares the same disease. Agressive shedding and progressive diffuse thinning of the hair. I know how it feels to shed 200+ hairs everyday, and having to unclogg the shower drain at least once a month. I know how frustrating it feels to not be able to figure out how to stop this sh*t. Every time I clean the house, the broom catches huge 'nests' of hair, every time I run my hand through my hair 4-10 hairs come out every f*****g time. Every shower is a demoralizing nightmare, and I've been avoiding looking myself in the mirror for too long because of the impact of seeing my hair disappear before my eyes. People don't seem to notice, but it is only because of hair lenght and 'camuflaging'. Just like you, I used to enjoy a very thick and dense mane of jet black hair; used to be long and heavy and styled into a manbun (actually your hair and skull shape looks a lot like mine, to the point of doppleganger sh*t). I've been to 4 dermatologists who gave me different diagnoses: one said it was regular Androgenetic Alopecia, the second said it was Telogen Effluvium, another said it was co morbid Androgenetic Alopecia and Telogen Effluvium. However, the last doctor (Harvard graduate) realized there was an underlying problem, and it probably wasn't typical Androgenetic Alopecia. She said she had seen these cases before and told me that because of how rare they are, little if any research is being made and it's often dismissed as typical Androgenetic Alopecia or Telogen Effluvium. She also told me that dermatologists are not sure on how to classify this type of hair loss and it often gets treated with a trial-and-error aproach until something does the charm, however most of the time nothing works. I was lucky enough to find a derm with an open mind and genuine scientific interest in ideopathic hair loss (challenging balding, as she calls it). When she diagnosed me, she asked a lot of question about things that are usually left out by most derms. After years of treating cases like ours (some successfully some not) she has been able to find a pattern: abundant, dense and thick hair; abrupt triggering of hair loss related to physical or emotional stress; stupid amount of daily non-stop shedding; diffuse thinning of the hair eventually leading to miniaturization and balding (a process that according to her can take years, but in some cases months); no receded hair line (in severe cases it can happen and might be comorbid with Androgenetic Alopecia); acne during teenage years and adulthood; smelly scalp syndrome; excessive sebum build up; no response to traditional methods. On top of that, some other symptoms have led her to believe it might have something to do with some sort of bacterial infection. A couple of studies (one from 2019) assesed bacterial diversity in follicles of people suffering from Androgenetic Alopecia and controls, and it appears Propionibacterium acnes can grow larger colonies in affected follicles compared to healthy ones. This, she said, can be related to the smelly hair syndrome characterized by a rancid, cheese like smell of the scalp (regardless of how many times you wash your hair): P. acnes metabolizes propionic acid as a subproduct; propionic acid smells like cheese or rancid milk, and is actually what makes cheese smell like cheese. She told me that large uncontrolled colonies of P. acnes can produce a rancid smell in the scalp and lead to immflamation and thus hair loss. Anyways, I'll list the highlights of my diagnoses, maybe you can find similarities with it. Then I'll explain my treatment:
- Before hair loss began, I started a weight loss program involving dukan diet and intense CrossFit sessions. I lost over 25 pounds and was shredded as hell.
- Around the same time, I started to work on my thesis. Very stressful part of my life (physical and mental).
- Also, I had moderate acne during adolescence that evolved into light adult acne.
- My father does not have Androgenetic Alopecia but his hair has just started thinning (he's 60), my grandfather hair looks like yours but he is almost 90. However there is history of hair loss from my father's side (great grandfather was balf, but it started as regular Androgenetic Alopecia).
- From November 2018 shedding became more agressive. Coinciding with mental breakdown and intense CrossFit training (I had let myself go and was trying to get the 6pack back). I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in April 2019. I was put on antidepressants and mood stabilizers.
- First visit to dermatologist because of smelly hair syndrome and hair loss. She put me on antibiotics and ketoconazole shampoo. Also, prescribed me hair growth peptide treatment every night and minoxidil 5% every night.
- Second visit to derm, 3 months later. Put me on minoxidil 5% twice a day in addition to peptide solution (now 3 nights per week). Prescribed more antibiotics for 20 days.
- Third visit to deem. Started mesotherapy (once a month) and dermarolling 1.5 mm once per week (every Tuesday, you have to be exact).
- For the first time in years my hair does not smell and shedding is almost gone. I literally do not remember a day in the las 4 years without hair falling all over the place now I can grab my hair and pull it hard and just a couple of hairs (max 3) show on my hand (compared to the large amount obtained in my first pull test).
- I'm not really sure what stopped hair loss, but I'm sure it wasn't minoxidil. It is not my first time using mixidl 5 %, oral or topic and im afraid at some point it worsened shedding. I'm limiting the use now, talked to my doctor and she recommended progressive withdrawal of minoxidil. I'm using it just once per day now.
- I should tell you that every since my bipolarity diagnose I made some changes in my life. I stopped worrying about my physique a lot (even hair loss), I don't do CrossFit anymore although, it is really liberating to know I don't HAVE to do it anymore. I'm sliming down, sure, but I'm happier. I'm lucky enough to have an amazing boss that allows me to make changes in order to improve my mental health too (I'm more productive now and he's happier). The fact that my head does not stink anymore and my hair stopped shedding is all I needed. I'm fine with it, even if I don't grow anymore hair.

Finally, I advise you not to listen to the balding community that think you have BDD. YOU DON'T!!!
You are just unlucky enough to have contracted or developed an understudied almost unknown disease. I hope this post gives you hope. I hope you overcome it, I really do. If there's anything I can help you with, please let me know. Also, I would like to see if your history of hair loss relates in anyway to what happened to me, or if the pattern my Doctor found is compatible with your disease.
Cheers!

I don't think he will listen to you. He refuses to take any advice and continues to post photos of his hair wet and highly parted. He doesn't have hair loss. Today I am going to post picture of my wet and I will show that it is worse than his.

Last edited:

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think he will listen to you. He refuses to take any advice and continues to post photos of his hair wet and highly parted. He doesn't have hair loss. Today I am going to post picture of my wet and I will show that it is worse than his.
Comparing hair loss and passing judgment that he doesn’t have hair loss as yours is worst is irrational. He’s admitted to overreacting to agreeing to others on their comments/criticisms but all his photos of the shed is a huge concern and I can see a progression of thinning in his latest photo regardless of it being wet. It’s not severe to be a norwood 1 yet but he has hair loss.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think all those hairs on his bathroom sink and counter would constitute hair loss. He is losing density. However, he has so much density at baseline that it's hard to tell he has loss of density but he does. Seeing that much hair loss on your bathroom counter or sink would definitely depress anyone who values their hair. When you become obsessed about hair loss, it can be very detrimental to your mental health and possibly trigger more hair loss. And his case is tricky because he has a thyroid issues at the same time. I just think he has a case of chronic telogen effluvium that has not reached his previous state of normal shedding before all hair loss treatments were started. If he keeps changing things around, he won't reach that status right away. It took me many years of sticking to the exact same treatments to reach that status. I never have heavy shedding anymore but I do notice very slow loss of density over each decade which is expected. He used to have a teenage hairline for almost 40 plus years and now its going. He has the balding gene. It can express itself any time. In his case, he got lucky and it's only starting. But the point is it can happen to anyone. You are never safe unless you don't have the balding gene. I have seen plenty of men that don't have it and they are lucky.

Mitko1

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think all those hairs on his bathroom sink and counter would constitute hair loss. He is losing density. However, he has so much density at baseline that it's hard to tell he has loss of density but he does. Seeing that much hair loss on your bathroom counter or sink would definitely depress anyone who values their hair. When you become obsessed about hair loss, it can be very detrimental to your mental health and possibly trigger more hair loss. And his case is tricky because he has a thyroid issues at the same time. I just think he has a case of chronic telogen effluvium that has not reached his previous state of normal shedding before all hair loss treatments were started. If he keeps changing things around, he won't reach that status right away. It took me many years of sticking to the exact same treatments to reach that status. I never have heavy shedding anymore but I do notice very slow loss of density over each decade which is expected. He used to have a teenage hairline for almost 40's years and now its going. He has the balding gene. It can express itself any time. In his case, he got lucky and it's only starting. But the point is it can happen to anyone. You are never safe unless you don't have the balding gene. I have seen plenty of men that don't have it and they are lucky.
I have a lot of hair in the bathroom and I am not shedding or losing density. He might not clean the hairs after every shower and take a picture of the floor which has collected hairs of previous showers.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have a lot of hair in the bathroom and I am not shedding or losing density. He might not clean the hairs after every shower and take a picture of the floor which has collected hairs of previous showers.
You have a lot of hair in the bathroom and you are not shedding? Then how did those hairs get there? I agree it's possible to not lose density or bald when you shed, but if you are seeing your own hair on the bathroom counter or floor, that is what we call shedding. And that is referred to as a form of hair loss. But it's normal hair loss.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score

Cheers!

hey thanks for sharing your story. I will have to read about the ‘smelly’ thing. I don’t have a smell though I had been on Minocycline for 6 years before the shedding started. It also started with about 12 .5 inch cysts/ingrown hairs all through the scalp.

I am thinning, it got much worse start if the fall though the shedding has been steady. I’ve been ‘diagnosed’ with a few things but there definitely the gene and a diffuse pattern. Trying to freak out less and focus on solving the problem. Hoping that maybe Propecia can help.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
OP, are you taking any other medication? Your hair loss seems to be of a different source rather than male pattern baldness, because I don't really see miniaturization or a pattern forming in your pictures.

Usually, if you were to aggressively diffuse, it would happen at an earlier age and you would see the horseshoe outline.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man you need to stop. One accusation after another. Lol

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think all those hairs on his bathroom sink and counter would constitute hair loss. He is losing density. However, he has so much density at baseline that it's hard to tell he has loss of density but he does. Seeing that much hair loss on your bathroom counter or sink would definitely depress anyone who values their hair. When you become obsessed about hair loss, it can be very detrimental to your mental health and possibly trigger more hair loss. And his case is tricky because he has a thyroid issues at the same time. I just think he has a case of chronic telogen effluvium that has not reached his previous state of normal shedding before all hair loss treatments were started. If he keeps changing things around, he won't reach that status right away. It took me many years of sticking to the exact same treatments to reach that status. I never have heavy shedding anymore but I do notice very slow loss of density over each decade which is expected. He used to have a teenage hairline for almost 40 plus years and now its going. He has the balding gene. It can express itself any time. In his case, he got lucky and it's only starting. But the point is it can happen to anyone. You are never safe unless you don't have the balding gene. I have seen plenty of men that don't have it and they are lucky.
Exactly brah! What I been trying to say.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve got to disagree with you manny. His pictures from 3 years ago look the EXACT same..... thick nw0 with zero hair loss. Don’t fall into his games
I understand your viewpoint but I used to be in a similar situation. My baseline was crazy density and when I started losing hair my doctor laughed at my concerns cause I had so much hair but I was shedding a lot...nothing was done and now I’m approaching NW2 if I don’t get my sh.. under control. It’s important to retain hair and not having it fall out like that.

Actually I take that back. The doctor told me to eat jello for more protein etc. to combat hair issues. Quackery!

Last edited:

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand your viewpoint but I used to be in a similar situation. My baseline was crazy density and when I started losing hair my doctor laughed at my concerns cause I had so much hair but I was shedding a lot...nothing was done and now I’m approaching NW2 if I don’t get my sh.. under control. It’s important to retain hair and not having it fall out like that.

Actually I take that back. The doctor told me to eat jello for more protein etc. to combat hair issues. Quackery!

Gelatin is great for hair growth :)

I had the same thing. Tried several things and stayed on Lactoferrin, Zix and gelatin. All work in a different way, but no miracle cure.

My shedding has reduced from 300+ on bad days to 100+ on better days to 30-40 hairs now. Seen a major improvement by supplementing vitamin K2 (only thing I changed in my routine recently), my doctor recommends it to help absorb vitamine D and for anti-aging. Nice side effect for me is slowing down shedding now.

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gelatin is great for hair growth :)

I had the same thing. Tried several things and stayed on Lactoferrin, Zix and gelatin. All work in a different way, but no miracle cure.

My shedding has reduced from 300+ on bad days to 100+ on better days to 30-40 hairs now. Seen a major improvement by supplementing vitamin K2 (only thing I changed in my routine recently), my doctor recommends it to help absorb vitamine D and for anti-aging. Nice side effect for me is slowing down shedding now.
Reduction of shed is good in my book. What brand of Vit K2 do you take?

MrsS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Reduction of shed is good in my book. What brand of Vit K2 do you take?

A brand called Holland and Barrett. It has 50mcg of vitamin K2 MK7 which is enough for daily supplementation. I take it with vitamin D, they work together.

I have Chronic Telogen effluvium with some miniaturised hairs (widening part).

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
OP, are you taking any other medication? Your hair loss seems to be of a different source rather than male pattern baldness, because I don't really see miniaturization or a pattern forming in your pictures.

Usually, if you were to aggressively diffuse, it would happen at an earlier age and you would see the horseshoe outline.
I am on thyroid medication. Thinning is universal but a pattern is emerging. I had also been on oral antibiotics for a very long time. There are some miniaturized hairs and the overall horseshoe is far less dense than a year ago. Have some doctors deeply committed to the idea this is something other than just male pattern baldness but don’t have solution or ideas what it could be.

Not to say I know I have the MBP gene and know most likely that is the real cause. The shedding is just insane. And no these crazy assholes that are accusing me of faking photos are clearly the real assholes on here. I own that I’m losing my sh*t but until I slow it down I’m going to continue to seek answers. Finasteride has had ZERO impact outside of maybe making the shedding worse.

Last edited: