Found out I have the most severe case of hairloss anyone here has seen. Here are some pics so you can all feel better about yourselves.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess I better pack my bags and move to hairgaintalk.
You should have walked into a hairloss clinic aged 18, would have been interesting to see what they would have tried to advise you or sell you. Could have gone viral on youtube with an hidden camera video on that.

ohg1023

Established Member
Reaction score
@ohg1023 Ever considered hair systems?
I've thought about it. Honestly though due to the pandemic it's really too costly for me to even try out. And enough people know that I'm bald under my hats that there's no way I could go from Norwood 7 to a perfect hairline and have it be convincing.

ohg1023

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand. Still some stigma surrounding hair systems and the people you know will notice of course. But you're still young, most will understand if not they're assholes.

Also the costs of hair systems aren't that high, especially if you learn maintenance yourself.

And to be honest, shaving or hair system are your only real options. Transplants will give bad results, your donor is obviously not good enough and area that needs coverage is too big.

But I advise you to think about it, a hair system can be life transforming, especially for a young man who deals with such severe balding;

Thanks. I might look into it when I'm a little more financially secure. Do you know if they still make those transitional hairpieces that were a thing in the early 90s? Like you'd start with a system that looked like you are slightly less bald and you keep progressing until you have a full head of hair.

fauxhawk

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ohg1023 why don't you just shave it all off? It seems to me like your intentionly shaving the crown area even further down then your current bald spot to create that monk/ donut look.
Tbh you wouldn't look too bad with it short all over, maybe just grow a fuller shaped beard to exsentuate the look

fauxhawk

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know about those things.

But as you can see modern hair systems aren't what they were in the 90's, technology also evolved there. They look great imo.
I'd try out a hair system just to see how it looks and feel just once atleast, but the price of them is still a bit much in my country as its still not available everywhere an being new. I'd rather wait till it becomes more reasonable

ohg1023

Established Member
Reaction score
@ohg1023 why don't you just shave it all off? It seems to me like your intentionly shaving the crown area even further down then your current bald spot to create that monk/ donut look.
Tbh you wouldn't look too bad with it short all over, maybe just grow a fuller shaped beard to exsentuate the look
Being raised by a fairly conservative military dad I think I've just been conditioned to feel that a shaved head is an extreme haircut.
As I mentioned in another comment, my dad took me to the barber before my high school graduation and had the barber shave down the few hairs growing on top. Living at home the first few years of college, that's just what was expected of me by my father because I was living under his roof rent-free. I think it just became a habit to shave off the 10 or 12 hairs that grow on top to keep it looking neater. Isn't it great how family fucks you up?

ohg1023

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you move out?

The older generation also doesn't understand the modern world, they think it's still the same as it was in the 60's.
I did move out. I started picking out my own clothes and doing what I wanted, but I just kept my hair the same because I didn't really know what to do with it.

ohg1023

Established Member
Reaction score

Also, here are some pictures of my hair before going to the barber, so you can see why shaving the top made it more uniform and less scraggly.

Attachments

• editor1637574943672~2.png
    editor1637574943672~2.png
    1 MB · Views: 150
  • Screenshot_20211122-015202.png
    Screenshot_20211122-015202.png
    552.1 KB · Views: 134

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think he'd do fine with a hair system, all depends on how they cut it. I think he could pull it off.
You need reasonable side hair for that. It may not be impossible, but it will be very difficult for sure.

Isaac Newton

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did move out. I started picking out my own clothes and doing what I wanted, but I just kept my hair the same because I didn't really know what to do with it.
Good on you. I'm still 28 and living with my parents, it feels humiliating as fuk. But tbf a lot more millenials are living with their parents

How did you afford to move out on a retail salary? Unless ur some kind of manager?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Wolf Pack @DoctorHouse this is what my dad had, for a 60 something year old who hates the bald look and doesn't have the head shape for it, it was a life saver

Oh I see, wait he had transplants? How many grafts and sessions? I think that is a life saver at 60 and looks perfectly fine. Haven't read the thread in case you mentioned it before!

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, here are some pictures of my hair before going to the barber, so you can see why shaving the top made it more uniform and less scraggly.

Most people ive know who have had a high norwood have always just owned a set of clippers and one or zero guarded the whole lot, I can appriciate why you're doing it, but tidying up the edge on the side like that can actualy be accentuating the friar tuck look.

Last edited:

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Being raised by a fairly conservative military dad I think I've just been conditioned to feel that a shaved head is an extreme haircut.
It sounds like your dad is stuck in the 70s, having a shaved head isn't considered extreme anymore at all, don't they shave your head in the military too?

DyingOfTheLight

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good on you. I'm still 28 and living with my parents, it feels humiliating as fuk. But tbf a lot more millenials are living with their parents

How did you afford to move out on a retail salary? Unless ur some kind of manager?

it's one of the worst things in the world. especially when you have to move back in at a later age. glad I gtfo of there again once my life started to move up

ohg1023

Established Member
Reaction score
Most people ive know who have had a high norwood have always just owned a set of clippers and one or zero guarded the whole lot, I can appriciate why you're doing it, but tidying up the edge on the side like that can actualy be accentuating the friar tuck look.
Honestly it's either a messy friar tuck or a cleaner friar tuck. At least this way I look SOMEWHAT like I'm trying on my appearance.