Forum Members: Just How Vain Are You?

blackg

Reaction score
Well guess what..It's the edges that rule and define the world of the centre.
Only 1% of the population has supermodel proportions,and the rest 99% is trying in vain to look like them.
Only 1% is moving the strings of economy,technology,sciences and the 99% is following.
Also,the most edgial cases of people are surprisingly the most interesting and charismatic.
I agree with this mostly. The most interesting music to me is usually on the edges and even the films I prefer are never the mainstream blockbuster types.

But back to the argument...

I'm talking about the so-called ugly people on the edges of society. And even the low IQ folks that occupy the edges.
My argument was that unfortunately these people are left behind by those in the centre. The majority!
The average pack.

The the majority are always looking up. Aspiring to be like the blessed few.
The lucky one or two percent of humans that are gifted genetically, be it with good looks or extreme intelligence (like@ Afro_Vacancy).

Valerija

My Regimen
Reaction score
As someone who is actually working as a medic and has past experience in this field, I have to say you have some points to learn. You need empathy and less aggression. You're right that a lot of psychologists (like all humans) will think someone is a lost cause or a loser. But helping someone be the best version of themselves mentally and physically is worthwhile. It's easier to offer a helping hand ;) Sadly some patients don't improve whatsoever and never will.

Interaction with jerks on the internet like the one I've interacted with have nothing to do with interaction between proffesional and a patient.

Also patients don't behave like that, usually they're well mannered, even a psychologist would scold someone for rude behavior.

And my empathy stops where idiots begin.

Valerija

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you look at the definition of vain: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vain

It says "having no real value".

As if our appearance had no value. If you have a minimum of knowledge of people's biological nature, you know that it is just a complete lie.

Taking care of one's appearance is not vain, it is crucial.

The fact that vanity has the meaning it has shows that the vast majority of people who pick up that vocabulary and continue to spread it are delusional and insecure as hell, which is very understandable.

It makes many people's life so much easier and bearable to believe that looks don't matter and if you think they do, you're vain, you don't know what truly matters.

People will say those things but ultimately, they don't believe it, especially women who try to be nice and rush into the arms of the best-looking guy they can find.

I'm sorry but if your actions don't match your words, you are simply lying. I sometimes think about the damage it does to the people (and there are many) who fall for that "looks don't matter" crap.

There's no excuse for spreading false hope, misery and suffering. Pay attention to your own actions and then tell the truth: looks matter and they matter a lot.

Do you even know how to read what vanity in the dictionary means? :D
It's defined as EXCESSIVE PRIDE in your abilities, achievements or appearance. Synonims are conceit, arrogance. Excessive pride means you're so proud that you're good looking or succesful or rich that you become conceited. It's good to be proud about your abilities, achievements or appearance but to be excessively proud means you're conceited.
That is what vanity means.
http://www.sirc.org/publik/mirror.html

Other understandings of the word come from sect of Christianity where vanity in the Bible means emptiness, futility of earthly things. Bible condemned human quest for beauty as emptiness, meaninglesness (Vanity). But that's just Bible morality and perspective, they hate everthing material and everything on this Earth, they're advocates of after life and only soul matters to them. It's specific Bible morality and they even invented a sin of emptiness (Vanity) where they said : https://www.spiritualdirection.com/2010/04/26/how-can-i-identify-my-root-sin

So if someone calls you "vain" (empty) because you care about being beautiful that is Christian vocabulary and their brainwashing from their sect.

Last edited:

Xander94

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I guess that's why there's so much emphasis on the resurrection of the body.

I was wrong about the definition of vanity (I picked one of the definitions, actually), but you're wrong about Christianity.

There are some hints in Christianity that you shouldn't take pride in something that's down to the luck of the draw, like your looks.

Picking on religion doesn't make you look smart by the way, I also thought it did when I was an atheist, but this as low-hanging fruit as you can get.

That's not where you should look to explain why people think caring about one's hair is vaine. I don't think people truly believe what they say when they pretend it's vain, you can just see it on their faces and if you dare to challenge them on it, God help you.

That's when they snap at you and tell you that you're obsessed and that you need help, or some variant of that. The importance of looks is not an easy subject to discuss, just like anything that's not really under our control, like intelligence for example. People like to believe that we all have the same chances no matter our level of looks, intelligence or talents.

Yes, a balding man will be fucked in many ways, and that's uncomfortable to think about so let's just pour out platitude like "it's just hair" or "caring about hair is vain". People call you vain because they'd like you to put on a fake smile and pretend that you're fine so they can keep their naive worldview unscathed.

Just agree that it's vain and collect your hundreds of reddit upvotes.
picture-id179310973?k=6&m=179310973&s=612x612&w=0&h=iyTYbDMw7O2L4enEDrnwN9VuorSp3HQwtD3bMzByR6U=.jpg

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Purpose:Dissection of Vanity

Materials and methods:Capitalizing on material goods(buying expensive things not because you need them,but to show that you're rich).
Embellishing your appearance with artificial means(make-up,plastic surgery,fake hair etc.)

Results:Vanity results from loss of one's sense of mortality and of the finiteness of things.
In some cases,vanity formation results from adding more value into something than its actual value.

Recommendation:Being content with the temporarity of things,avoiding pain and maximizing pleasure.

Conclusions:
Vai cercando qua, vai cercando là
Ma quando la morte ti coglierà
Che ti resterà delle tue voglie?
Vanità di vanità

Valerija

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I guess that's why there's so much emphasis on the resurrection of the body.

I was wrong about the definition of vanity (I picked one of the definitions, actually), but you're wrong about Christianity.

There are some hints in Christianity that you shouldn't take pride in something that's down to the luck of the draw, like your looks.

Picking on religion doesn't make you look smart by the way, I also thought it did when I was an atheist, but this as low-hanging fruit as you can get.

That's not where you should look to explain why people think caring about one's hair is vaine. I don't think people truly believe what they say when they pretend it's vain, you can just see it on their faces and if you dare to challenge them on it, God help you.

That's when they snap at you and tell you that you're obsessed and that you need help, or some variant of that. The importance of looks is not an easy subject to discuss, just like anything that's not really under our control, like intelligence for example. People like to believe that we all have the same chances no matter our level of looks, intelligence or talents.

Yes, a balding man will be fucked in many ways, and that's uncomfortable to think about so let's just pour out platitude like "it's just hair" or "caring about hair is vain". People call you vain because they'd like you to put on a fake smile and pretend that you're fine so they can keep their naive worldview unscathed.

Just agree that it's vain and collect your hundreds of reddit upvotes.

I am wrong about Christianity? :D How so? :D Cause I provided evidence of how they invented the sin of emptiness (vanity)? :D

Luckily I hang out only with atheists and to us vanity means conceit. If you're conceited/vain because you're beautiful well that's not nice.

Caring about being beautiful and trying to be beautiful doesn't as of yet have a synonim, it's just trying to be beautiful which is 100% positive thing.

Emptiness (vanity) is Christian morality. https://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/lasting-beauty/

"In these verses, Peter is not condemning all wearing of jewelry or all concern with outward appearance. If he were, then we would have to read verse 3 as forbidding the wearing of any clothing at all. What he is condemning is an overt concern with physical appearance that reflects the vanity and ungodliness of the surrounding culture."

Christian morality and vocabulary belongs exclusively to sect of Christianity. Let them listen to Peter LOL and be ugly cause otherwise they're comiting a sin (sin LOL) of emptiness, futility (Vanity). :D

Atheist morality and reasoning is another galaxy for those lunatics. Critical thinking is not even found in traces in some people.
I suppose humanity will invent teleportation and many advanced things in the future, it'll be year 3000 and sect of Christianity will still quote Peter. LOL

Last edited:

Valerija

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.quora.com/What-does-vanity-mean-in-the-Bible

:D :D :D

"Vanity is anything that does not lead to the Kingdom of Heaven, even those things within themselves that are good which are only done for one's own glorification.

So, things whose value pertain to this world only and have no spiritual merit would be physical beauty, physical strength, worldly possessions and wealth, worldly knowledge and admiration. All these things are ‘vanities’. Their value is shallow and, not cast in God's proper light are not only meaningless, but can lead a soul to eternal damnation. For instance if one spent their life’s work amassing wealth and enjoying the luxuries of this world while they neglected their poor brethren.

On the other hand, if God blessed you with intelligence and you were able to be successful in your life but used it to help others (a lawyer of human rights, perhaps) and made good money (and helped the poor and less fortunate) then you would be considered just and virtuous.

It is not that the things of this world are necessarily bad, it is directed more at how we use them. If they don't help us to love God and our neighbour then they are just a vanity!"

:D :D :D LOL

Last edited:

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never thought my thread would turn into bible analysis. I was more curious about our preoccupation with looks and whether we are more looks conscious than most people.

KyleTroy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
We're on a forum about losing our hair and potentially our looks so I imagine that we are all somewhat vain.

And let me say, I'm not framing vanity in a negative way, if anything it can be a massive positive.

We all know that beauty enables the social halo effect - the phenomenon of people treating you better because you look good. If you are attractive you are more likely to be liked, promoted, and have a much higher sexual market value. So to be beautiful and to enhance your own beauty is almost essential if you want to improve your life.

I know I check my hair every time I take a break. I always make sure I dress well - even if its a relaxed environment. I hit the gym to have a more attractive body. I groom body and facial hair for the same reason.

Are you guys mostly the same?

Would you consider yourself vain or is it just the hair that you fuss over?
I'm not vain anymore

I never look in a mirror

Valerija

My Regimen
Reaction score
I never thought my thread would turn into bible analysis. I was more curious about our preoccupation with looks and whether we are more looks conscious than most people.

Everyone is preoccupied with looks and everyone is looks conscious by nature. That is called loving beauty and wanting to be beautiful because of self perception through our bodies. Wanting to be beautiful doesn't have a synonim as of yet and if it did have a synonim or a word meaning wanting to be beautiful it would be a positive concept and a positive word.

None of that is vanity, so stop using idiotic Bible vocabulary in 2018!!! Emptiness, futility what vanity means and all "reasoning" around that is sect of Christianity morality and their sick "logic" and inducing quilt in order to control people for things that are normal, positive and natural. Twisting things around as only something so sick as sect of Christianity can do.

In the future, EVOLVE and ask people "hey do you care about being beautiful?", "yes, I do", "great, so do I, "yeah, everyone cares it's natural, it's human nature and it's 100% positive thing, it's self perception that affects self image that affects self confidence", "yes, old news", "cheers!", "cheers!".

Evolving is natural also. It's time.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
Everyone is preoccupied with looks and everyone is looks conscious by nature. That is called loving beauty and wanting to be beautiful because of self perception through our bodies. Wanting to be beautiful doesn't have a synonim as of yet and if it did have a synonim or a word meaning wanting to be beautiful it would be a positive concept and a positive word.

None of that is vanity, so stop using idiotic Bible vocabulary in 2018!!! Emptiness, futility what vanity means and all "reasoning" around that is sect of Christianity morality and their sick "logic" and inducing quilt in order to control people for things that are normal, positive and natural. Twisting things around as only something so sick as sect of Christianity can do.

In the future, EVOLVE and ask people "hey do you care about being beautiful?", "yes, I do", "great, so do I, "yeah, everyone cares it's natural, it's human nature and it's 100% positive thing, it's self perception that affects self image that affects self confidence", "yes, old news", "cheers!", "cheers!".

Evolving is natural also. It's time.
I'm using the oxford dictionary definition of vanity:

excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements

Please stop mentioning the bible on this thread.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why is it that so many women are so annoying?
My theory is that they never learn to read signs that they’re being annoying, people just let them go on and on because they want to have sex with them. Whereas if a man goes on and on about irrelevant bullshit that no one cares about then people will tell him to stfu.

On a related note, I've often said that the reason that public schools are dens of interpersonal dysfunction (at least here in NYC) is because the workforce is 95+% female. There is so much cliqueishness, gossip, backstabbing and other drama that goes on there - the stories that my family members who work in the public school system tell me are amazing. Yet you look at workplaces where it's 90+% male (e.g. construction or mining or other manual labor jobs) and there is none of that - no issues, no problems comparatively. And the reason for that, I maintain, is that men learn early on in life that if they talk too much sh*t about another man, it may escalate to physical violence. So men learn at a young age how to get along with other men, and what not to say or do. That threat of physical violence is never there for women, so many of them go through life just running off at the mouth, thinking they can say or do whatever they want without consequences - because in a very real sense, there are no immediate (or at least no dire) consequences for them as there are for men. This has only gotten worse with the deterioration of good parenting over the last 20+ years.

A man knows that if he talks too much sh*t about Joe he might get punched, or worse. A woman doesn't care to talk about Cheryl behind her back because, well, what's the worst that could happen?

Last edited:

Chromedome1990

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My theory is that they never learn to read signs that they’re being annoying, people just let them go on and on because they want to have sex with them. Whereas if a man goes on and on about irrelevant bullshit that no one cares about then people will tell him to stfu.
Very typical symptom of autism. Maybe most women are secretly autistic?

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's because there's no demand for interesting and cultivated women from the male side.
The majority of men have no taste and are so dumb that fall in the trap of a mini skirt or heavy make-up or blonde dyed hair,even if the girl is below average looking.
They confuse the intention of wanting to look beautiful and attractive, with actually being beautiful and attractive.
In contrary,men are usually intimidated by a smart and knowledgeable girl...But that's actually what turns me on...aside from cuteness...and hotness:D

p.s I doubt @Valerija is a female...Probably a male troll from here with an alternate account.

blackg

Reaction score
You kinda have a point here, Bateman.
The more beautiful you are, regardless of gender, the more leeway society will give your personality.

So I agree to a point.
Apart from that.. you can still blow me.

Valerija

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm using the oxford dictionary definition of vanity:

excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements

Please stop mentioning the bible on this thread.

You're so dumb it's hurts.

Yes that is the definiton of vanity. That means CONCEIT. If you're smart but excessively proud about being smart you're vain/conceited.

But sect of Christianity invented the sin of emptiness (Vanity) and told symptoms LOL of that sin is excessive concern for appearance among other things like shyness. Shyness is vanity for sect of Christianity. :D
Vanity for sect of Christinity means emptiness of soul as I wrote already and futility of earthly pursuits.

https://www.gotquestions.org/hygiene-vanity.html

https://www.spiritualdirection.com/2010/04/26/how-can-i-identify-my-root-sin

So the guy that asked the original question used sect of Christianity insane vocabulary.

If he wanted to ask guys do they take good care of their looks and do they try to look beautiful then he should have asked with that vocabulary.

Vanity means conceit. When you're excessively proud/conceited about being smart or beautiful.

It has NOTHING to do with general human wish to look beautiful. General human wish to look beautiful doesn't have a syonim. It is a wish to look beautiful.

Last edited:

blackg

Reaction score
You're so dumb it's hurts.

Yes that is the definiton of vanity. That means CONCEIT. If you're smart but excessively proud about being smart you're vain/conceited.

But sect of Christianity invented the sin of emtptiness (Vanity) and told symptoms LOL of that sin is excessive concern for appearance.
Vanity for sect of Christinity means emptiness or I wrote already.

https://www.gotquestions.org/hygiene-vanity.html

https://www.spiritualdirection.com/2010/04/26/how-can-i-identify-my-root-sin

So the guy that ask the original question used sect of Christianity insane vocabulary.

If he wanted to ask guys do the take good care of their looks and do they try to look beautiful then he should have asked with that vocabulary.

Vanity means conceit. When you're excessively proud/conceited about being smart or beautiful.

It has NOTHING to do with general human wish to look beautiful. General human wish to look beautiful doesn't have a syonim. It is a wish to look beautiful.
Look, save all these Bible classes for Sunday school.

We all know what @JohnsonDDG is trying to say and you are just trying to muddy the waters to excuse our sinful behaviour.

It's time you took responsibility for your own vanity.
Throw in gluttony too.

Valerija

My Regimen
Reaction score
Look, save all these Bible classes for Sunday school.

We all know what @JohnsonDDG is trying to say and you are just trying to muddy the waters to excuse our sinful behaviour.

It's time you took responsibility for your own vanity.
Throw in gluttony too.

I am an atheist. I didn't understand the word you said.