Forum Members: Just How Vain Are You?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm definitely up there in the vain category. After decades, nothing has changed, probably
nothing ever will.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
When you look at the definition of vain: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vain

It says "having no real value".

As if our appearance had no value. If you have a minimum of knowledge of people's biological nature, you know that it is just a complete lie.

Taking care of one's appearance is not vain, it is crucial.

The fact that vanity has the meaning it has shows that the vast majority of people who pick up that vocabulary and continue to spread it are delusional and insecure as hell, which is very understandable.

It makes many people's life so much easier and bearable to believe that looks don't matter and if you think they do, you're vain, you don't know what truly matters.

People will say those things but ultimately, they don't believe it, especially women who try to be nice and rush into the arms of the best-looking guy they can find.

I'm sorry but if your actions don't match your words, you are simply lying. I sometimes think about the damage it does to the people (and there are many) who fall for that "looks don't matter" crap.

There's no excuse for spreading false hope, misery and suffering. Pay attention to your own actions and then tell the truth: looks matter and they matter a lot.

Most of my self worth is invested in my looks. My looks feel like the core of who I am and the other so called "qualities" are just like a bonus on the side lol. I sound like such an *** right now but it's true. I admire ugly people who become successful and what not. I would rather be good looking and poor than ugly and successful by a long shot.

JohnsonDDG

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you look at the definition of vain: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vain

It says "having no real value".

As if our appearance had no value. If you have a minimum of knowledge of people's biological nature, you know that it is just a complete lie.

Taking care of one's appearance is not vain, it is crucial.

The fact that vanity has the meaning it has shows that the vast majority of people who pick up that vocabulary and continue to spread it are delusional and insecure as hell, which is very understandable.

It makes many people's life so much easier and bearable to believe that looks don't matter and if you think they do, you're vain, you don't know what truly matters.

People will say those things but ultimately, they don't believe it, especially women who try to be nice and rush into the arms of the best-looking guy they can find.

I'm sorry but if your actions don't match your words, you are simply lying. I sometimes think about the damage it does to the people (and there are many) who fall for that "looks don't matter" crap.

There's no excuse for spreading false hope, misery and suffering. Pay attention to your own actions and then tell the truth: looks matter and they matter a lot.
I'm using the Cambridge definition of vanity - to take excessive pride in one's physical appearance.

I'm not disagreeing with what you wrote but just clearing up the definition for the context of this thread.

blackg

Reaction score
We're on a forum about losing our hair and potentially our looks so I imagine that we are all somewhat vain.

And let me say, I'm not framing vanity in a negative way, if anything it can be a massive positive.

We all know that beauty enables the social halo effect - the phenomenon of people treating you better because you look good. If you are attractive you are more likely to be liked, promoted, and have a much higher sexual market value. So to be beautiful and to enhance your own beauty is almost essential if you want to improve your life.

I know I check my hair every time I take a break. I always make sure I dress well - even if its a relaxed environment. I hit the gym to have a more attractive body. I groom body and facial hair for the same reason.

Are you guys mostly the same?

Would you consider yourself vain or is it just the hair that you fuss over?
Your vanity and mild humble bragging are but a breath of fresh air amongst this sea of self loathing.

blackg

Reaction score
I once lost my phone and it had hundreds of selfies and tons of hairline pictures on there.

I didn't even have a lock on it so whoever saw it would have seen the selfies.

I'm so glad this happened in south east asia because if it happened in the west it would have made social media.
sh*t!!

blackg

Reaction score
Also vain and insecure are different things: yet both can lead to an obsession with looks and pictures as we've seen in this thread.

I have been accused once of vanity directly about 7 years ago. Hospital toilet and was dressed well, just looked at my face in the mirror and adjusted hair like everyone does before leaving. A man in his 40s comes in saying you're going to drown in your own pool. So he just took a one second look and assumed everything. Looks = vain to him clearly.
Was this guy nothing to look at, by any chance?

blackg

Reaction score
Very vain. I always make sure my hair is perfect (as much as it allows me to), I gymcel, eat a very good diet, drink only water, nails are always neatly trimmed, so is body hair. I constantly look in the mirror. I'll take vids of myself to judge how I look in motion and correct any posture imperfections. I'd say it takes me an hour to get ready in the morning. I can't leave the house looking bummy, I always have to have on something fashionable because first impressions are everything, in my mind even to strangers I suppose. This year I'll probably become even more obsessive.
My American friend... It's refreshing to hear that you're somewhat fashion conscious.
Most Western fashion trends originate on the inner-city urban American streets.
Another reason why our beloved country is a world leader for others to follow.

Now tell me...what sort of casual fashionable shoes are you wearing these days?

Last edited:

blackg

Reaction score
I'd say he was average but bit tubby. Bear in mind though, 40s and full hair so looked presentable.
I think he would love to be able to spend a considerable amount of time contently looking in the mirror.
f*** him!
I've come across many of these angry men before, always turning their noses up at me in the men's room.

Dontwannabeabetabob

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My American friend... It's refreshing to hear that you're somewhat fashion conscious.
Most Western fashion trends originate on the inner-city urban American streets.
Another reason why our beloved country is a world leader for others to follow.

Now tell me...what sort of casual fashionable shoes are you wearing these days?
So glad you asked, mate. As our winters are very harsh here, I look for something casual and stylish, while not sacrificing comfort.

Something like this is what I rock:
Capture.PNG

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Johnson, I have BDD. Would you say people with BDD are obsessed with vanity?

Good point. I'd guess a lot of people here have BDD, possibly even myself. Is this vanity or insecurity though? If I'm having to obsessively check my appearance every time I see a mirror or if I'm taking pictures of my hairline it's more to do with reassurance then being in love with my looks. My mood and confidence is nearly always influenced by how I look. On a bad hair day I feel terrible but when I look good, I feel good. Even getting a smile from a girl I pass on the street can have me buzzing for the rest of the day.
I'd accept that this makes me shallow but not necessarily vain.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it's funny about us being accused of BDD, and that if we had hair we'd be obsessing over something else.
Not true; when I had NW1, I had a kinda ugly shaped nose and I'm only 5'8 but although I would have liked to have been taller, it never really bothered me too much. when I had £3000 I spent it on a car and a computer rather than a nose job and foot lifts.

Hair on the other hand, it's not BDD when it is real. if £100,000 could buy me a NW1, i'd be out robbing a bank right now.

I don't look after myself that well, my clothes are a mess, cheap and crumpled and I have no swag; but I am always clean shaven and I have to smell good; I won't go out if I am unshaven and unshowered.

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is from the British NHS website.

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), or body dysmorphia, is a mental health condition where a person spends a lot of time worrying about flaws in their appearance. These flaws are often unnoticeable to others.

People of any age can have BDD, but it is most common in teenagers and young adults. It affects both men and women.

Having BDD does not mean you are vain or self-obsessed. It can be very upsetting and have a big impact on your life.

Symptoms of BDD
You might have BDD if you:

• worry a lot about a specific area of your body (particularly your face)
  • spend a lot of time comparing your looks with other people's
  • look at yourself in mirrors a lot or avoid mirrors altogether
  • go to a lot of effort to conceal flaws – for example, by spending a long time combing your hair, applying make-up or choosing clothes
  • pick at your skin to make it "smooth"
Causes of BDD
We don't know exactly what causes BDD, but it might be associated with:

• genetics – you may be more likely to develop BDD if you have a relative with BDD, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) or depression
  • a chemical imbalance in the brain
  • a traumatic experience in the past – you may be more likely to develop BDD if you were teased, bullied or abused when you were a child
Some people with BDD also have another mental health condition, such as OCD, generalised anxiety disorder or an eating disorder.

KyleTroy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
We're on a forum about losing our hair and potentially our looks so I imagine that we are all somewhat vain.

And let me say, I'm not framing vanity in a negative way, if anything it can be a massive positive.

We all know that beauty enables the social halo effect - the phenomenon of people treating you better because you look good. If you are attractive you are more likely to be liked, promoted, and have a much higher sexual market value. So to be beautiful and to enhance your own beauty is almost essential if you want to improve your life.

I know I check my hair every time I take a break. I always make sure I dress well - even if its a relaxed environment. I hit the gym to have a more attractive body. I groom body and facial hair for the same reason.

Are you guys mostly the same?

Would you consider yourself vain or is it just the hair that you fuss over?
Baldness is so humiliating

There is mever any vanity remaining

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
For f*** sake just leave me out and of all of this. I’m here for hairloss reasons. If anyone can tell me how to mix adenosine powder into stemoxydine, hit me up. Otherwise leave me out of this sh*t. I already have enough on my mind to deal with.

shookwun

Reaction score
Mirin 4ever brah. Siccuntz
"If you're a shredded siccunt you can get away with anything"
He's right....,,,,,,

Women cant stop rubbing, and feeling up the body when you are shredded and huge.

You think skinny fat c**** - i.e 90% of men get this attention. This is reserved for a small percentile of men who want to go the next level.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
He's right....,,,,,,

Women cant stop rubbing, and feeling up the body when you are shredded and huge.

You think skinny fat c**** - i.e 90% of men get this attention. This is reserved for a small percentile of men who want to go the next level.

he told indians are ugly once...