Follica - New Patent Published 2017 - Needling Device And Drug Applicator

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
Switch had nothing to do w/ that patent; they just cited it in their own patent for vitiligo, not hair growth. But all in line w/ their MO to research off label uses for existing drugs. People really should pay more attention to that in regards to their cooperation w/ Follica...

If they are just studying already approved drugs for off label uses that would be great. No clinical trials and possibly something new for us. That would be great!

NewUser

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Scientific knowledge of molecular pathways affecting hair growth is on the increase almost monthly it seems. I think the drugs angle will eventually be the cheapest and most effective solution for Androgenetic Alopecia and hair loss due to immune disorders. Already we have the first legit treatment for AA looking very good so far and undergoing clinical trials.

Drugs also look promising for yet another but very different type of hair loss, deafness. Drugs have re-grown cochlear hair cells in mice. This is amazing because mammalian inner ear hair cells don't normally regenerate or repair themselves if damaged, like our scalp and body hair does with the greatest of ease on a cyclical basis. Imagine shaving your whole head, eyebrows and beard and realising none of it will regrow. That's what it's like for deaf people. Once our precious sensorineural cochlear hairs break off from noise damage or age related decline, that's it fini. No mas. It's gone.

In the second experiment, the researchers did not need to add the second set of drugs because once the progenitor cells were formed, they were naturally exposed to signals that stimulated them to become mature hair cells.

Because this treatment involves a simple drug exposure, the researchers believe it could be easy to administer it to human patients. They envision that the drugs could be injected into the middle ear, from which they would diffuse across a membrane into the inner ear. This type of injection is commonly performed to treat ear infections.

"We only need to promote the proliferation of these supporting cells, and then the natural signaling cascade that exists in the body will drive a portion of those cells to become hair cells," noted Dr. Karp.

Last edited:

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah massaging probably pushes out all that sebum, the real culprit in Androgenetic Alopecia.
my sebum is too concentrated and become like a ball hard according to the doctors.Impossible to evacuate it by a massage in these conditions. It would have to go with the shovel

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Scientific knowledge of molecular pathways affecting hair growth is on the increase almost monthly it seems. I think the drugs angle will eventually be the cheapest and most effective solution for Androgenetic Alopecia and hair loss due to immune disorders. Already we have the first legit treatment for AA looking very good so far and undergoing clinical trials.

Drugs also look promising for yet another but very different type of hair loss, deafness. Drugs have re-grown cochlear hair cells in mice. This is amazing because mammalian inner ear hair cells don't normally regenerate or repair themselves if damaged, like our scalp and body hair does with the greatest of ease on a cyclical basis. Imagine shaving your whole head, eyebrows and beard and realising none of it will regrow. That's what it's like for deaf people. Once our precious sensorineural cochlear hairs break off from noise damage or age related decline, that's it fini. No mas. It's gone.
i 've already read about this.it's amazing

Nadia1972

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If my hair stands up straight for more than 4 hours, do I have to call my doctor?
your humour have no sense.I don't talk about dermato for my case but this problèm touch several parts of body and scalp too
The evidence you understand anything about sebum lol

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
Some other informations included in the patent.

[000202] In an aspect, it should be appreciated that advantages of the applicators include massaging and parting hair simultaneously while dispensing a chemical, omni-directional movement of the massage heads, a charging station acting as a light pipe and luminous display, buttonless powering, remote control and smart phone application control and monitoring, among other features. A major concern with the use of minoxidil is that it is often mostly applied to the hair rather than directly to the scalp. This is ineffective and inefficient use of the compound as minoxidil must reach the surface of the skin for optimal effect. The applicators deliver drug directly to the skin and the massage mode spreads the drug over the skin providing for more consistent and evenly distributed administration of the drug. A problem with minoxidil administration is that it is typically delivered to the hair and not the scalp. Accordingly, among other advantages, the described drug applicators provide a more effective means of applying the compound to a subject's scalp.

(...) For example, the drug applicator is capable of detecting any one or more of (a) whether a cartridge is provided by the same manufacturer of the drug applicator device or a different manufacturer, (b) what type of compound is in the cartridge, for example, a Minoxidil-5% compound for men or Minoxidil-2% compound for women, (c) how much compound is left in the cartridge, and (d) the usage history of the cartridge, for example, whether this is the first time that this cartridge has been inserted in a drug applicator device or the number of times this cartridge was previously inserted in a drug applicator device.

(...) For example, integumental perturbation can be controlled to limit perturbation to part or all of the epidermis, to part or all of the stratum corneum, or deeper into the papillary dermis, reticular dermis, and/or hypodermis. The occurrence of pinpoint bleeding would indicate removal of the stratum corneum, epidermis (or part thereof) and portions of the upper layer of the dermis, such as the superficial papillary dermis. The occurrence of increased bleeding would indicate deeper penetration (and thus perturbation) into the deeper papillary dermis and reticular dermis layer.

(...) The depth of integumental perturbation depends on the thickness of the skin at a particular treatment area. For example, the skin of the eyelid is significantly thinner than that of the scalp. The occurrence of pinpoint bleeding indicates that the epidermis and portions of the dermis have been removed. Deeper penetration can result in much more bleeding, and the perturbation can go as deep as the hypodermis.
Disruption of the papillary dermis can be detected by the appearance of small pinpoints of blood in the treated area.

(...) [000294] In some embodiments, the hair growth-promoting agent treatment comprises treatment with an antiapoptotic compound. In one embodiment, the antiapoptotic compound is not a Wnt or a Wnt agonist.

(...) [000297] In certain embodiments, the hair growth-promoting agent may be used in its commercially available form. In other embodiments, the form of the hair growth-promoting agent is adjusted to optimize a combination treatment (e.g., integumental perturbation or treatment with another active ingredient) described herein. In a particular embodiment, the hair growth-promoting agent is formulated as a different salt form than that which is commercially available. In a particular embodiment, the hair growth-promoting agent is formulated for topical administration, e.g., by incorporation into a pharmaceutical composition for post-perturbation treatment described in Section 5.2 infra

(...) In some embodiments, the hair growth-promoting agent treatment comprises treatment with a prostaglandin F2a or prostamide analog (e.g., latanoprost, bimatoprost, etc.) in combination with a channel opener (e.g., minoxidil). In one such embodiment, a prostaglandin F2a or prostamide analog is administered in combination with minoxidil.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
your humour have no sense.I don't talk about dermato for my case but this problèm touch several parts of body and scalp too
The evidence you understand anything about sebum lol

edwxi.jpg

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Should we take this patent to mean almost any topical may be more efficient with micro needling? (RU people, NOT suggesting this be careful of course).

I am just wondering if anyone else is thinking along this line of thought?

I have always been super careful not even to use my topicals after shower because some people have said its too potent--granted I am using topical less than a year and so far fine (and decent results)

I wonder if derma rolling would improve results when using topical as some people do it this way--rather than the 1x a week and no topical.

If you apply directly after micro needling then you're basically going systemic.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't there 2 compounds? Or the rain app picture on their website might indicate morning or night. The skin disruption is done at the office. I'm sure the massage part is the home application. Anyway great news. Snails place.

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't there 2 compounds? Or the rain app picture on their website might indicate morning or night. The skin disruption is done at the office. I'm sure the massage part is the home application. Anyway great news. Snails place.

In the patent, we can read this
:
1 . " the hair growth-promoting agent treatment comprises treatment with a prostaglandin F2a or prostamide analog (e.g., latanoprost, bimatoprost, etc.) in combination with a channel opener (e.g., minoxidil).

2. " the hair growth-promoting agent treatment comprises treatment with an antiapoptotic compound "

So maybe, Latanoprost and minoxidil. But I think there are others compounds. Like Professor Rox Anderson (Follica co-funder and professor at Harvard) said
follica-twitter-aad-2017.jpg

LOL what if it goes systemic???? LOL (did not read whole thing I am just tickled that people put v**** on head)
LOL ! I'll ever see it quite the same way again!

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing is for sure: If they launch with more than minoxidil, the last thing I'll do is

The first thing I'll do is run out and get the procedure done along with abandoning you all for all times.

For those of you who choose to remain, remember the next time the wind blows, that I am somewhere not far away, like

rvUdJ8x.gif