Follica - New Patent Published 2017 - Needling Device And Drug Applicator

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So it is basically dermarolling and minoxidil, these guys really are a joke.
You also have automated dermapens, for example the one SwissTemples used:

http://shop.owndoc.com/product-list.php?Derminator-pg1-cid61.html.

I don't believe that Follica approach will be any better than using such a derminator + minoxidil. There is no logical reason to believe so.

Do I care though? Hell no, from a business perspective I believe they have a pretty clever approach so they will be able to generate a positive ROI with a nice revenue. They'll just need good marketing.

The more money this market attracts, the better.

I presonally believe as I stated when they orginally announced that this is a response to the high level of activity in the last couple of years with new potential treatments. The scientists have been on the payroll for what 10 years now and produced nothing and then started feeling the heat.

I wondering if chemical wounding produces the same kind of effect.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its unfortunate as of their most recent webcast in June, they have not started their pivotal trial. We need something to hold us over. I hope brotzu comes out soon.

I must have missed that. Who was it Follica? Cots?

Newerah

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So it is basically dermarolling and minoxidil, these guys really are a joke.

I presonally believe as I stated when they orginally announced that this is a response to the high level of activity in the last couple of years with new potential treatments. The scientists have been on the payroll for what 10 years now and produced nothing and then started feeling the heat.

I wondering if chemical wounding produces the same kind of effect.
It's more than dermarolling and minoxidil...stop saying this...

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's more than dermarolling and minoxidil...stop saying this...

Show me what more it is?

The patent even makes it clear, it's wounding with a minoxidil.. sure it can be used with other compounds but they are all owned by other companies and there are no clinical trials from them regarding a new compound.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
Samumed's going into phase 3 right now, so finishing up a year from now.

https://www.samumed.com/medium/imag...matology-aad-orlando-fl-03042017_61/view.aspx

Please clarify. This was the second phase 2 trial they did with biopsies. But according to an article that came out after this study suggested they are doing another phase 2 trial. Unless the article was mistaken and actually referring to this unaware it has already been completed. Nothing indicates they are moving on to phase 3 specifically though. They finished this biopsy study almost a year ago if I'm not mistaken. Maybe even longer.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
In the Indian protocol, minoxidil was applied the next day after dermaneedling. Not right after!

I get that, I ask because of this...

(...) the applicator is configured to stretch or massage a subject's skin while simultaneously dispensing the drug. In a specific embodiment, an amount of drug being dispensed can be controlled by controlling a number of massaging strokes per massaging cycle, a stroke distance per massaging cycle, or a profile of the dispensing mechanism. In a specific embodiment, the drug that is applied is minoxidil or a proteasome inhibitor including lactacystin, a peptidyl aldehyde, or pentoxyfilline (PTX).

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
Please clarify. This was the second phase 2 trial they did with biopsies. But according to an article that came out after this study suggested they are doing another phase 2 trial. Unless the article was mistaken and actually referring to this unaware it has already been completed. Nothing indicates they are moving on to phase 3 specifically though. They finished this biopsy study almost a year ago if I'm not mistaken. Maybe even longer.

You're right Xaser. It's a third phase 2. My bad.

http://www.businessinsider.com/samumed-wants-to-regenerate-hair-bone-cartilage-2017-3

Fortunately, this recent phase 2 performed well above placebo, and according to this article, they're just really zeroing in on getting the dosing right.

My assumption is firm though. It's clear to me they'll go into phase three and that they do have something noteworthy. A summer 2019 release isn't unreasonable in my mind.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Should we take this patent to mean almost any topical may be more efficient with micro needling? (RU people, NOT suggesting this be careful of course).

I am just wondering if anyone else is thinking along this line of thought?

I have always been super careful not even to use my topicals after shower because some people have said its too potent--granted I am using topical less than a year and so far fine (and decent results)

I wonder if derma rolling would improve results when using topical as some people do it this way--rather than the 1x a week and no topical.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
The patent lists about 100 potential compounds, so it's far from confirmation that it will only be minoxidil. And even still, if it launches with minoxidil alone, they clearly anticipate adding to the protocol, as they've got another party - Switch - working on something for them.

It's weird how you're rooting for the worst possible outcome just to prove a point. I guess for you, winning a petty argument rates higher than hair growth. One thing is for sure: If they launch with more than minoxidil, the last thing I'll do is feverishly rush to the nearest computer so I can call you out - I simply have too much of a life to care that much lol.

But but but, these great scientist with super magna c*m laude degrees couldn't come up with anything better? These Murrican superstars from super universities? All they can come up with is needling + minoxidil? Which by the way is from R. Dhurat anyway? Our Indian superstar women from somewhere in a city in India? Yes, she deserves the credit.

And they won't launch with something else than minoxidil. Regulations tie their hands.

Future? Yes maybe, but good luck waiting many years for that. We know how many years drug trials take.

Besides, drug development for Androgenetic Alopecia is a joke at the moment. We (humans) are simply, nowhere smart enough to understand these complex pathways.

Without a proper model this is just like playing the lottery. Perhaps computational methods like machine learning (AI) will help us in the near future. Or if we find a proper model. Until then minoxidil reigns king as hair growth agent.

Future of Androgenetic Alopecia reversal will likely be shaped anyway regenerative cell based therapies a la Tsuji or TissUse. Let's hope we get a little bit of help from the cells themselves.

Oh and trust me could care less about being right. Give me unlimited hair follicles.

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
Switch biotech just mixes minoxidil and viagara. If anyone wants to try dermastamping plus minoxidil and topical viagara(?) please post results lmao.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20...ved=0ahUKEwjmtrm5mLnVAhVBQSYKHRPLCjcQ6AEIJTAA

brohawk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Switch biotech just mixes minoxidil and viagara. If anyone wants to try dermastamping plus minoxidil and topical viagara(?) please post results lmao.

https://www.google.com/patents/US20...ved=0ahUKEwjmtrm5mLnVAhVBQSYKHRPLCjcQ6AEIJTAA

Switch had nothing to do w/ that patent; they just cited it in their own patent for vitiligo, not hair growth. But all in line w/ their MO to research off label uses for existing drugs. People really should pay more attention to that in regards to their cooperation w/ Follica...

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score

Hey Xaser :) Good find for this old patent (2002). I didn't know that v**** could be a potential drug for Hair regrowth, Maybe it could be working lol .

Are you sure about this one ? because it seems to belong to some doctors ( Mohsen Shahinpoor, David Soltanpour, Parsa Shahinpoor ).

And It refers to an another patent which belong to Switch Biotech and called " Use of a Pde 5 inhibitor for treating and preventing hypopigmentary disorders '' . This one is not a patent for HairLoss.

1 . On their website, we can see that : http://www.switch-biotech.com/Clinical Development.html

" Alopecia - Hair Loss (To Be Determined)

Only limited knowledge about androgenic alopecia exists. One genetic pathway, the androgen metabolism, provides clues that might lead to the development of efficacious treatments. SWITCHBIOTECH intends to develop a drug that either prolongs the hair cycle, stops the miniaturization of the hair follicle, or blocks the signals from the dermal papilla that inhibit hair growth.

The molecular pathways that govern these biological processes are still to be elucidated, but SWITCHBIOTECH has established all of the necessary components and technologies required for a successful androgenic alopecia research program " .
Switch Biotech1.jpg
Switch Biotech.jpg

Xaser94

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Xaser :) Good find for this old patent (2002). I didn't know that v**** could be a potential drug for Hair regrowth, Maybe it could be working lol .

Are you sure about this one ? because it seems to belong to some doctors ( Mohsen Shahinpoor, David Soltanpour, Parsa Shahinpoor ).

And It refers to an another patent which belong to Switch Biotech and called " Use of a Pde 5 inhibitor for treating and preventing hypopigmentary disorders '' . This one is not a patent for HairLoss.

1 . On their website, we can see that : http://www.switch-biotech.com/Clinical Development.html

" Alopecia - Hair Loss (To Be Determined)

Only limited knowledge about androgenic alopecia exists. One genetic pathway, the androgen metabolism, provides clues that might lead to the development of efficacious treatments. SWITCHBIOTECH intends to develop a drug that either prolongs the hair cycle, stops the miniaturization of the hair follicle, or blocks the signals from the dermal papilla that inhibit hair growth.

The molecular pathways that govern these biological processes are still to be elucidated, but SWITCHBIOTECH has established all of the necessary components and technologies required for a successful androgenic alopecia research program " .
View attachment 59855 View attachment 59856

Your right @Noisette. The patent I linked is referenced in the one u put up I believe. Here's to hoping this research has been moving along :)