Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JaneyElizabeth Thank you for your productive, thorough, and insightful posts. You are one of the few who understands the hair loss methodology inside out.

Struggling for hair loss for 10 year now has been debilitating. I have more than 400 studies saved on my desktop. Trying to connect all the dots.

My conclusion after suffering from many painstaking trial and errors: without sufficient estrogen, you won't regrow hair!

Probably the most insightful study I came across was https://academic.oup.com/edrv/article/27/6/677/2355194. Just read the title. Hair Follicle as and Estrogen Target And Source. That explains it all.

If you further read the researchers main points you'll find that estrogen is the one primary hormone that upregulates hair growth modulators further proliferating the genes necessary for hair growth to commence.

I am talking about WNT pathway, IGF-1, FGF-7, etc.

Just to give you some perspective of my hair loss story similar to @Itsnoahkennedy, whey protein isolate was the main offender. It took me 6 years to realize this was the case.

I was taking 4 scoops of whey protein isolate for 1.5 years 5 days weekly trying to build muscle mass. It lead to diffuse thinning with major recession,

My hair loss looks like leprosy especially when it is wet. I don't recognize myself anymore in the mirror. A similar type of hair loss pattern happened to @Itsnoahkennedy and he too took whey (noah correct me if I am wrong here, but I remember you telling me this a while back).

So my question Janey is: If one simple "natural" supplement can destroy my hair because of a hormonal turbulence why can't we find a "natural" supplement that can regrow our hairs?

Have you remotely considered soy isoflavones (they have to be a specific kind of supplement not the ordinary soy milk, soy protein, or the a generic soy) with capsaicin? There was a study on this and the results do look promising.

Soy isoflavones are the closest "natural" estrogen remedy. Soy isoflavones consist of genistein and daidzein. Genistein binds to estrogen beta receptors similar to E2 and these receptors are known to influence hair growth. I am not talking about the estrogen alpha since it has no direct impact on hair growth.

Read the study I posted above if not already to better understand estrogen beta. I also have compiled a couple of noteworthy studies on soy and their effects on various receptors.

I don't mind posting those here only if you are interested.

Thanks again. You are a legend and a rockstar. We appreciate your generous and meticulous feedback. Very few people have the cognitive skillset and keen observation to fully grasp the hair anatomy. You happen to be the few. :)

JaneyElizabeth:

My, my.... Thanks so much for the nice comments but you know more about signalling pathways than I do. I fail to see why whey protein would hurt one's hair but I do recall now seeing a posting in this thread related to that. If you want to explain more your thoughts on how this permanently harmed your hair, that would be an interesting post.

This topic fascinates me because most mammals appear to produce hair with testosterone mediating, such as mice. It's the male mice and rats that seem to have better "hair" growth than the females. But there is something similar among many male animals upon reaching adulthood, be it manes, or antlers or horns that are sexually dimorphic and related to, from what I can tell, DHT and its effects in terms of "masculinizing" such animals. If so, and this again is much more of a caucasian issue, then we are truly swimming upstream against something that seems hardwired into white males who also generally have the best beard growth and experience more body hair growth compared to Siberians or Asians or Native Americans.

So beard growth in Europe appears to have played significant roles in terms of differentiating people even when viewed from a distance. As an aside, this is why it is so important to have beard removal for MtFs who want to pass. Females, through the ages among whites and Semites, have used the beard or stubble as a protective way of avoiding unknown males that might be dangerous.This is probably also true for other primates/apes as "baldness" appears in these groups as well.

With respect to herbal supplementation, I started out eating soy all of the time and other isoflavonoids. There is much less baldness in Asians, so it was easy to think that it might help. I would like to see your postings related to this. One thing is that we spend a lot of time in the MtF community trying to steer people away from herbal "estrogens" because we fear folks getting disappointed or experiencing temporary placebo effects but it could conceivably set someone up for better results during HRT. The problem is though that phytoestrogens might actually be competitive with human estrogen and they might occupy receptors where we want estradiol or estriol to be occupying. The issue of Serms, even with respect to Premarin is related to this because Premarin has many types of natural estrogens that are non-human in nature and some of them might be working at cross-purposes. Some meds have divergent effects on different receptors and if there is a baldness cure for males, it might involve raloxi or tamoxi but I honestly don't think any "cure" is coming because this is the way that caucasians are wired. Women get the hair on top and men get the hair below the lashes.

So in this sense, people obsessed with not getting gyno are sort of right because the effects of estrogen clearly make a person less able to work, hunt or defend him or herself in a non-modern context. Beards are highly protective in cold climates while baldness might serve as a form of heat regulation. Beards are also highly protective during fist fights, and against scratches by bushes or thorns. My skin now tears and bruises much more easily. Nature giveth and nature taketh away. So why the differences in scalp hair among white males and females? It might just be random as a mutation but it still seems conceivable that white females had an advantage in terms of carrying infants and toddlers because the hair was down and available for the child to hold onto, and thus promotes the ability to handle tasks with a child in tow.

If you want to message me privately or ask about different protocols, please do and I will look forward to your posting again. I have fought baldness for 36 years and you name it, I have tried it or used it but for many males, it is such an uphill battle.

Trying not to be mean here but for MtFs, the idea of FtMs deciding to go bald intentionally is very difficult to contemplate and for some reason, they all continue to be shocked that that baldness/recession but especially poor hair quality is now the reality of their life. And what do they post typically? "I can't be going bald; none of my relatives who are male are bald...."

Been there, done that and half the posts on tresses on reddit are related to that. Baldness is shocking it appears regardless.
IMG_2570.JPG

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you trans or cis? 6mg is a transition sized dosage, 2mg E along with duta, 50mg bica and maybe even some oral min should be enough for hair regrowth. If you are trans i apologize.

I am kind of down on oral minoxidil without even drinking any since I use foam. The issue is that I keep seeing people with hair growth artifacts from oral minoxidil that look unnatural or that are literally creating hair where hair should not be. AntyDHTor is foremost among these on this thread. I would much rather be bald than his after picture. He was an attractive man with recession that was arguably not cosmetically significant. I have used topical minoxidil since 1988 and I have never seen hair growing where it should not be. This was the main issue reported by Upjohn in the 80's and was why they opted for topical medication instead of oral, if I recall correctly.

Where are the data indicating that Loniten is innocuous? I recently saw a study indicating that even ten percent minoxidil isn't as effective as 5% which makes sense because wouldn't Upjohn be selling ten percent Rogaine otherwise? I know our inspiration @bridgeburn was using Loniten but I never felt that he had any real basis for using it compared to regular minoxidil. Loniten is not something to my knowledge that most successful MtF's in terms of hair regrowth/improvement either typically use or need.

Next, 2 mg of estradiol is far different when swallowed compared to when used sublingually or buccally. People get confused here. Buccal and sublingual usage are much more efficient in terms of delivering estrogen into the bloodstream but this does not mean that they "work" better as a component of HRT or for hair regrowth purposes. MtFs have very little to offer here since our entire protocols revolve around maximizing breast growth, not hair growth, which is stupid since cis-females have no means of maximizing breast growth. Why would MtFs? Anyway, it doesn't work. So, if this individual is swallowing 6 mg, that is far less in terms of serum estradiol than taking three different 2 mg dosages buccally.

I am currently using Climara patches as my main estrogen source which is a pretty expensive but also pretty foolproof way of delivering estrogen that is steady state. But where I think that you guys are missing the point is that estrogen dosage in mg means little or nothing unless a person is being tested. Like @bridgeburn, I rarely tested in the past because I just judged feminization and attractiveness with my mirror and I knew that I was ramping up for a long second puberty as we call it. But dosage of these different meds is barely relevant for regrowth purposes, from what I can discern, unless you folks are hitting adult female targets as per Wpath and you are able to do this consistently, month after month.

You know your own situation and bica has an excellent reputation for growing hair but 2 mg seems puny to me, even with Bicalutamide in terms of HRT directed towards substantial regrowth without titration.

Without testing, or titration upwards, how do any of you know how much to use? I mean you could judge by your mirror but none of the folks using less than 4 mg of estradiol from what I can tell are getting any substantial regrowth and many guys are now putting a toe into the estrogen waters but I just don't think that it is going to work. I tried using 0.3 mg, 0.625 mg, 1.25 mg, and then 2.5 mg of Premarin and I wasn't coming close to the Wpath targets and while I saw improvement, especially in my forelock, it was just not cosmetically significant while except for hair, i was feminizing incredibly well on these small amounts of estrogen. Right now I am not even using an AA although I might incorporate bica so that I don't have to always use the patch and can go back to estradiol pills if I want to.

Strangely enough though, for cis-males starting HRT, 2 mg is more or less a perfect initial starting dosage in order not to disrupt breast growth but you almost have to literally beg these women not to start off on 8 mg sublingual or whatever which is far too much in terms of cis-female pubertal estrogen levels. Then a year later, the same gals are posting about how they haven't gotten any breast growth and how they wish that they had not started out on high doses of E and an AA.

Goddess bless.

Last edited:

ali.talebi1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is for all the HRT haters.
View attachment 146852
very beautiful hair :rolleyes: i'm jealous of it :D
i want to switch from CPA to Dutasteride because my liver is very sensitive and cant tolerate it...
currently my CPA dose is 12.5mg/d and i've been on it for 2 months by now, and i've got some red hives on my body and pain in my liver area :(
i've also been on finasteride 2mg/d for 7 months and i've got some regrowth on my crown but idk whether it is from finasteride or addition of CPA to my regimen which i did 2 months ago o_O anyway... i have to stop CPA because of my liver...

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i want to switch from CPA to Dutasteride because my liver is very sensitive and cant tolerate it...
currently my CPA dose is 12.5mg/d and i've been on it for 2 months by now, and i've got some red hives on my body and pain in my liver area :(
i've also been on finasteride 2mg/d for 7 months and i've got some regrowth on my crown but idk whether it is from finasteride or addition of CPA to my regimen which i did 2 months ago o_O anyway... i have to stop CPA because of my liver...

CPA and dutasteride are completely different medications with different methods of action. They aren't interchangeable.

Also, pain in the liver sounds very serious. Please see a doctor as soon as possible.

And yeah, CPA is supposedly tough on the liver. It's not prescribed in America. Bicalutamide is supposedly easier on the liver. But if you are having liver issues, it'd be best to consult a doctor before starting any new medication

Itsnoahkennedy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

it’s alright man don’t sweat it, there’s plenty of other anti androgens that will work to replace CPA and still yield improvements.

ali.talebi1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
CPA and dutasteride are completely different medications with different methods of action. They aren't interchangeable.

Also, pain in the liver sounds very serious. Please see a doctor as soon as possible.

And yeah, CPA is supposedly tough on the liver. It's not prescribed in America. Bicalutamide is supposedly easier on the liver. But if you are having liver issues, it'd be best to consult a doctor before starting any new medication
yeah i know they are totally different anti androgens but i think dutasteride is the best in terms of safety...
plus, i've got auto immune hepatitis syndromes like finger joint pains :(
i searched it on the web and i found that it is one of the possible side effects of CPA that will disappear after discontinuation...
i decided to stop it forever...
this wednesday i'm going for a blood test, i will share the results and we'll see what CPA has done to my liver

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
AA's without estradiol:

I am curious about folks using spironolocatone, cyproterone acetate or bicalutamide without estrogen.

Is anyone experiencing regrowth or clear and substantial hair improvement merely by using an AA? I have heard of prostate cancer victims spontaneously regrowing hair on flutamide but I am uncertain to what extent and whether it was cosmetically significant. I remember there was a senator in the 1980s who died of prostate cancer but sadly (rip) his hair really improved during his final months in Congress but I don't think he regrew a full head of hair.

This is how bad the science of hair regrowth is. I don't think any of us are even sure and so everything is more or less derivative of MtF HRT practices but MtFs tend not to be interested in these medications unless they improve "results", meaning increase breast size.

Many/most take them but rarely if ever do I see anyone discussing these AA's solely in reference to hair regrowth on the Reddit boards. I try and try to ask other MtFs but there is a shocking (to me) lack of interest in hair growth among MtFs. I just went over to AskMtFHRT and DIY HRT to answer questions for folks who haven't received answers yet or who are being given outright misinformation by other MtFs, and every single question was about lackluster breast growth. Many of these questions are simply heartbreaking and I have survivor's guilt since I was mostly in it for the hair and got the results that few others seem to.

This issue is seemingly on the way out for MtFs as folks transition at younger and younger ages and they don't sweat the hair thing since they still have all or most of their "male" hair, and we are going to lose one of our main resources for cis-males fighting baldness willing to take some risks and trying to figure out what risks are "worth" it and which are not, as well as the probability of success.

I do have to say that there are some really cute wigs that cost very little so that is what I have been using the last year since my spironolactone shed and you do sort of forget about the hair issue since a wig doesn't have to grow down to your shoulders before you are "ready" for others to see you. I have gotten a lot of compliments and most males are so clueless they don't even spot wigs but they can spot a toupee at 200 meters.

They're real and they're spectacular

Last edited:

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is an interest in hair regrowth. Most girls on reddit will assume that their hrt will take care of it.

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
AA's without estradiol:

I am curious about folks using spironolocatone, cyproterone acetate or bicalutamide without estrogen.

Is anyone experiencing regrowth or clear and substantial hair improvement merely by using an AA? I have heard of prostate cancer victims spontaneously regrowing hair on flutamide but I am uncertain to what extent and whether it was cosmetically significant. I remember there was a senator in the 1980s who died of prostate cancer but sadly (rip) his hair really improved during his final months in Congress but I don't think he regrew a full head of hair.

This is how bad the science of hair regrowth is. I don't think any of us are even sure and so everything is more or less derivative of MtF HRT practices but MtFs tend not to be interested in these medications unless they improve "results", meaning increase breast size.

Many/most take them but rarely if ever do I see anyone discussing these AA's solely in reference to hair regrowth on the Reddit boards. I try and try to ask other MtFs but there is a shocking (to me) lack of interest in hair growth among MtFs. I just went over to AskMtFHRT and DIY HRT to answer questions for folks who haven't received answers yet or who are being given outright misinformation by other MtFs, and every single question was about lackluster breast growth. Many of these questions are simply heartbreaking and I have survivor's guilt since I was mostly in it for the hair and got the results that few others seem to.

This issue is seemingly on the way out for MtFs as folks transition at younger and younger ages and they don't sweat the hair thing since they still have all or most of their "male" hair, and we are going to lose one of our main resources for cis-males fighting baldness willing to take some risks and trying to figure out what risks are "worth" it and which are not, as well as the probability of success.

I do have to say that there are some really cute wigs that cost very little so that is what I have been using the last year since my spironolactone shed and you do sort of forget about the hair issue since a wig doesn't have to grow down to your shoulders before you are "ready" for others to see you. I have gotten a lot of compliments and most males are so clueless they don't even spot wigs but they can spot a toupee at 200 meters.

They're real and they're spectacular

I also have to wonder about the effectiveness of an oral anti-androgen, especially without estrogen. It seems like the dramatic regrowth some trans women get and that Bridge and Noah got was from the estrogen supplementation. If a topical AA is effective, then there's really no need to take CPA or bica or spironolactone orally and have the side effects. I suppose the question is whether a topical AA like RU is strong enough or if some other topical is needed.

It seems like the main point of an AA is to prevent further loss, whereas estrogen does the real regrowth.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are other anecdotes on hairloss forums of folks who regrew on Fina Duta spironolactone Bica monotherapy. E monotherapy can suppress T without any needs for AA. If you monitor your hormone levels you can rebuild an environment where hair follicles will thrive. It's unfortunate @bridgeburn had no blood work done while taking an hrt mtf treatment. His goal was to "get hair or die trying" and what he did was like ridding a motorcycle at 100mph blindfolded. Obviously not a strategy many folks on this site are ready to adopt.

It's paradoxical that transwomen who are taking a very risky treatments full of side-effects are being called "sissies" by some macho dudes who chicken out when they are suggested to take a long term FDA approved hairloss drug with low risk factor.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is an interest in hair regrowth. Most girls on reddit will assume that their hrt will take care of it.

For the younger folks, I get that but many MtFs are still coming out in their 40's and 50's and 60's even and I get the impression this is far from automatic for folks with significant hair loss. I have corresponded with folks who didn't go on blockers who are suffering from significant baldness and I get the impression that regrowth is far from automatic even for some people in their early 20's. That's why the notion of hair growing from slick bald scalp is so important conceptually because none of the treatments for males can grow hair at all and I don't believe it is possible for males to regrow cosmetically significant amounts of hair without doing what we are trying to do.

Every time I go over to Tresses, I am simply flabbergasted by the lack of perspicacity in terms of refusing to use finasteride. If a male is not going to use finasteride or do what we are doing, then what's the point of obsessing and yet, they all still do. When minoxidil was available in 1988, bam, I went on it and I didn't worry about minoxidil-dependent follicles, which I don't think exist anyway. When finasteride was available to me in 1998, I leaped on it and I didn't say, "oh poor me. I am going to have to use these meds for life". I was thrilled and when duta came out, bam I went on that. Today there was a fellow claiming that he was going to use castor oil in place of a reductase inhibitor. They are all sitting around thinking science is going to resolve this
it’s alright man don’t sweat it, there’s plenty of other anti androgens that will work to replace CPA and still yield improvements.
Nobody ever mentions medroxyprogesterone acetate.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are other anecdotes on hairloss forums of folks who regrew on Fina Duta spironolactone Bica monotherapy. E monotherapy can suppress T without any needs for AA. If you monitor your hormone levels you can rebuild an environment where hair follicles will thrive. It's unfortunate @bridgeburn had no blood work done while taking an hrt mtf treatment. His goal was to "get hair or die trying" and what he did was like ridding a motorcycle at 100mph blindfolded. Obviously not a strategy many folks on this site are ready to adopt.

It's paradoxical that transwomen who are taking a very risky treatments full of side-effects are being called "sissies" by some macho dudes who chicken out when they are suggested to take a long term FDA approved hairloss drug with low risk factor.

Sides? What are sides?Sheds, What are sheds? Except for spironolactone. That one made me feel weak and fatigued and I had the shed of the century. Starting out on 200 mg was not a good idea. So now Climara and Estrogel. I just ordered four more tubes of estrogel from Amazon4Health today and I slather it and luxuriate in it. Some days I gets these estrogen highs and the Goddess guides me.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
People might say this about me someday but some of those last pictures of @bridgeburn, he was looking a bit small and frail to me. Of course I am 5' 6 and 135 pounds. His face really feminized. It looked those those two were having fun and maybe a cute couple.

today.JPG

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
IMG_0274.JPG
One of the things that that really drew me into all of this was I started out on piddling amounts of estrogen. I was on Premarin 0.30 mg starting out and nobody believes me. After six months, we titrated upwards to .625 mg. I was non-binary and still had hopes that my wife might come around, eh but I was trying to not get too big in the breast department so that I could still have deniability. Then I went up to a whopping 1.25 mg and 100 mg of spironolactone at the end of the one year mark. Then 2.50 mg Premarin and 200 mg of spironolactone until May of this year. Plus I had three years of DIY while I was stil married using menopausal creams. Everyone on the MtF boards is saying that is not enough but it was plenty. I had big honking breasts and I swear I didn't mean to. MtFs never grow good ones. Now I know that starting off with tiny amounts of E titrated really gradually is the gold standard for breast growth not that it works for everyone.
The other MtFs are all starting off on 6 mg sublingual and an an AA and it's too much. Pubertal girls have very little estrogen and it appears that the best approach for breast growth was tiny amounts titrated gradually upwards. I swallowed my pills too. I am not a sucker.
ATTACH=full]147169[/ATTACH]

Last edited:

Ephemeral-Kitten

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One of the things that that really drew me into all of this was I started out on piddling amounts of estrogen. I was on Premarin 0.30 mg starting out and nobody believes me. After six months, we titrated upwards to .625 mg. I was non-binary and still had hopes that my wife might come around, eh but I was trying to not get too big in the breast department so that I could still have deniability. Then I went up to a whopping 1.25 mg and 100 mg of spironolactone at the end of the one year mark. Then 2.50 mg Premarin and 200 mg of spironolactone until May of this year. Plus I had three years of DIY while I was stil married using menopausal creams. Everyone on the MtF boards is saying that is not enough but it was plenty. I had big honking breasts and I swear I didn't mean to. MtFs never grow good ones. Now I know that starting off with tiny amounts of E titrated really gradually is the gold standard for breast growth not that it works for everyone.
The other MtFs are all starting off on 6 mg sublingual and an an AA and it's too much. Pubertal girls have very little estrogen and it appears that the best approach for breast growth was tiny amounts titrated gradually upwards. I swallowed my pills too. I am not a sucker.
I don't think CEE will appear properly on an E2 test, so it's hard to know if your levels of non-human estrogens were low or not. As for swallowing estradiol, I think that is beneficial for breast growth for two reason: 1) there is a high amount of 17b-HSD in the breast tissue to convert estrone and E1S into E2 locally, and 2) estrone has a higher affinity for ER-alpha compared to ER-beta than estradiol does. ER-alpha is a primary factor in breast growth, whereas ER-beta is a primary factor in scalp hair growth. CEEs like premarin also have a higher affinity to ER-alpha, I believe. The same is true for EE in birth control pills.

I need to get this off my chest as well: cis female and cis male are not synonyms for biological female and biological male, cis means same and it is the opposite of trans; so a "cis-male transgender person" is not possible, nor is a "cis-male enby" possible because cis and trans are contradictory terms.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@JaneyElizabeth Thank you for your productive, thorough, and insightful posts. You are one of the few who understands the hair loss methodology inside out.

Struggling for hair loss for 10 year now has been debilitating. I have more than 400 studies saved on my desktop. Trying to connect all the dots.

My conclusion after suffering from many painstaking trial and errors: without sufficient estrogen, you won't regrow hair!

Probably the most insightful study I came across was https://academic.oup.com/edrv/article/27/6/677/2355194. Just read the title. Hair Follicle as and Estrogen Target And Source. That explains it all.

If you further read the researchers main points you'll find that estrogen is the one primary hormone that upregulates hair growth modulators further proliferating the genes necessary for hair growth to commence.

I am talking about WNT pathway, IGF-1, FGF-7, etc.

Just to give you some perspective of my hair loss story similar to @Itsnoahkennedy, whey protein isolate was the main offender. It took me 6 years to realize this was the case.

I was taking 4 scoops of whey protein isolate for 1.5 years 5 days weekly trying to build muscle mass. It lead to diffuse thinning with major recession,

My hair loss looks like leprosy especially when it is wet. I don't recognize myself anymore in the mirror. A similar type of hair loss pattern happened to @Itsnoahkennedy and he too took whey (noah correct me if I am wrong here, but I remember you telling me this a while back).

So my question Janey is: If one simple "natural" supplement can destroy my hair because of a hormonal turbulence why can't we find a "natural" supplement that can regrow our hairs?

Have you remotely considered soy isoflavones (they have to be a specific kind of supplement not the ordinary soy milk, soy protein, or the a generic soy) with capsaicin? There was a study on this and the results do look promising.

Soy isoflavones are the closest "natural" estrogen remedy. Soy isoflavones consist of genistein and daidzein. Genistein binds to estrogen beta receptors similar to E2 and these receptors are known to influence hair growth. I am not talking about the estrogen alpha since it has no direct impact on hair growth.

Read the study I posted above if not already to better understand estrogen beta. I also have compiled a couple of noteworthy studies on soy and their effects on various receptors.

I don't mind posting those here only if you are interested.

Thanks again. You are a legend and a rockstar. We appreciate your generous and meticulous feedback. Very few people have the cognitive skillset and keen observation to fully grasp the hair anatomy. You happen to be the few. :)

Someone messaged me yesterday about creatine causing disruption to hair. Is that similar to whey protein? :)