Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve not only retained strength but I’ve actually put on about 20 pounds of muscle while on AA’s. I’ve seen a significant amount of strength gain and there’s really no outward signs of my drug use besides the gyno, some reduction in body hair, and a slight sexual dysfunction. The anti androgens have not reduced my strength at all which I’d expect from Bicalutamide since it actually increases T and does not block it anabolically, but at one point in time I was on 50mg of CPA and I felt like I was taking nothing. Makes no sense. I’m taking CPA with Bicalutamide to counteract the rise in T. My dose of CPA is high because I seem to be quite insensitive to it.
Interesting. Maybe only spironolactone has these fatigue sides but it definitely did for me. I won't touch cyproterone so that leaves me with bica or upping my medroxy if needed but I don't believe I need an AA.

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. Maybe only spironolactone has these fatigue sides but it definitely did for me. I won't touch cyproterone so that leaves me with bica or upping my medroxy if needed but I don't believe I need an AA.
The thing is I was on Spironolactone 200mg a while ago and some of my side effects were actually more severe than with CPA or Bica even though it’s a weaker drug. I don’t think I was consistently working out when I was on spironolactone so strength is harder to judge but my sexual side effects were worse and I needed to pee so much.

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is where I get mine from, £60 a month isn't cheap, but if you have a job it's not so bad. I'm on the 10.8 version, which works out to be more, but it's more convenient to do it every 3 months instead of every month. it's only been 6 days since starting, so not much to report yet
Yeah that’s not bad compared to what I’m paying right now. I know you can get Buserelin from OTC for around $40 a month. Everything I’m taking right now costs around $140 monthly. If I were to drop bica and CPA for one of these it would actually be cheaper. My current plan is to stay on Bicalutamide and just add estrogen though since I know that Bicalutamide is doing something and I don’t want to change too much at once. How dangerous and sustainable would it be to try androgen deprivation without estrogen?

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that’s not bad compared to what I’m paying right now. I know you can get Buserelin from OTC for around $40 a month. Everything I’m taking right now costs around $140 monthly. If I were to drop bica and CPA for one of these it would actually be cheaper. My current plan is to stay on Bicalutamide and just add estrogen though since I know that Bicalutamide is doing something and I don’t want to change too much at once. How dangerous and sustainable would it be to try androgen deprivation without estrogen
Personally I haven't been in a state of hormone deprivation, aside from when my e2 gets low, when I feel weak and depressed. I imagine total deprivation would be worse. You could always try it, and add e2 if you end up feeling terrible

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that’s not bad compared to what I’m paying right now. I know you can get Buserelin from OTC for around $40 a month. Everything I’m taking right now costs around $140 monthly. If I were to drop bica and CPA for one of these it would actually be cheaper. My current plan is to stay on Bicalutamide and just add estrogen though since I know that Bicalutamide is doing something and I don’t want to change too much at once. How dangerous and sustainable would it be to try androgen deprivation without estrogen?
Hair-wise? Not good. I don't think you can can grow cosmetically significant hair without estrogen. Otherwise, it is always, eh. It's the thickening that goes unnoticed.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair Progress Pics. I don't like how it is too blown up but these actually look better in real life. I am for a male I would say, very close to having a full male-ish head of hair. Now how like that stage lasts I do not know but generally on transition timelines there is an appearance of softening and thickening and as it reaches a length where it can frame my face, I will maybe have to make a decision but right now, Janey still wows with the wig. I tried to take some pics from on top and none of them came out but it is almost entirely filled in in the crown for the first time in 36 years. There is an imperceptible here, sort of blondish undercoat that I can see coming in that gives me confidence that this is going to happen for me just as I hoped/planned for over six years. But it still is almost identically in the middle between balding and regrowth in terms of direction. The hairline keeps sort of rolling forward together band like so the whole process is so subtle and it is easy to miss.

Hair progress pictures.
IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG

Last edited:

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It has been reported that genes only contribute to 13.7% of the explained variance in Androgenetic Alopecia [8]. Thus, in this study, family history, the concentration of vanadium in blood, the AA genotype of rs1160312 and the regular consumption of soy bean drinks (3 days per week) were examined in a logistic regression analysis. The results showed that these factors contributed to 59% of the explained variance of Androgenetic Alopecia."

There's a lot of broscience in these posts, which is fine, and much of it is good information, but this is just way off base. That study is referring to a single gene, and Androgenetic Alopecia is polygenic. It's actually closer to 80% genetic.

The total proportion of variance in male pattern baldness that can be attributed to genetic factors has been estimated in twin studies to be approximately 80% for both early- and late-onset hair loss

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a lot of broscience in these posts, which is fine, and much of it is good information, but this is just way off base. That study is referring to a single gene, and Androgenetic Alopecia is polygenic. It's actually closer to 80% genetic.

It's just that baldness is highly sexually dimorphic among whites which is tied to genetics.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's just that baldness is highly sexually dimorphic among whites which is tied to genetics.

It's tied to genes that upregulate AR expression, and downregulate Wnts. Environmental factors are quite small, and mostly limited to early onset of hair loss and increased severity. Women have hair loss too, it's just not as severe because they have less DHT and more estrogen.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's tied to genes that upregulate AR expression, and downregulate Wnts. Environmental factors are quite small, and mostly limited to early onset of hair loss and increased severity. Women have hair loss too, it's just not as severe because they have less DHT and more estrogen.

Yes but beyond that, when we talk about goddess-like tresses or I guess that's a loaded term but beautiful long flowing and growing hair like a goddess is something beyond all white males except for Brad Pitt, maybe Jeff Bridges a couple of times. The things are connected, the quality and count and anagen aspects. That's why its beyond some without enough estrogen. Now where Brad Pitt hair comes from originally, I don't know what allowed him to maintain hair like that.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes but beyond that, when we talk about goddess-like tresses or I guess that's a loaded term but beautiful long flowing and growing hair like a goddess is something beyond all white males except for Brad Pitt, maybe Jeff Bridges a couple of times. The things are connected, the quality and count and anagen aspects. That's why its beyond some without enough estrogen. Now where Brad Pitt hair comes from originally, I don't know what allowed him to maintain hair like that.

I had super thick hair throughout most of my 20s. Asian men have thick hair all their lives due to a mutation in the EDAR gene. It's not that men are supposed to go bald and women aren't, and it's not about your diet or whether or not you smoke. There are men who have thicker hair than women because they have good hair genes. If your genes are good enough then it doesn't matter what sex you are because it doesn't take much DHT to cause hair loss if your AR is highly sensitive.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Of course, these are all generalizations. Siberians, male and female tend to have perfect oval band locks. But for whites:

Perfect hair for a male and then perfect hair for "his" female self, and somehow, the female hair is still slightly nicer/better/prettier. But the answer is not in thickness; there the male might have the better, there is simply an overall balance to the female hair that perfects it. Interesting to see facial issues with great hair so we all have our battles to be trite.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously someone with the same genes is going to have better hair with lower androgen levels and higher estrogen levels.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Obviously someone with the same genes is going to have better hair with lower androgen levels and higher estrogen levels.
no, that's what I was getting at, the idea of better because it came up on Friday, I think with the before and after pics of a transguy, sort of thicker vs. nicer. There is a sort of classical idea of female hair beauty and obviously, I am way too compulsive about comparing beautiful heads of hair. But there is context too and given that I have no beard, I can't go for that scruffy kind of dangerous guy any longer.

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Jacob Williams you seem to have a good understanding about antiandrogen medications for the most part and seem to know the risks. I just encourage you to actually get your blood levels checked for hormone levels. This isn't the type of thing that you can go by how you feel. Also, I think you should maybe give treatment more time before changing. Frequently changing treatments can cause sheds.

As for antigonadotropins (as opposed to blockers), you could try progesterone, though I believe that it can't be taken orally because it can't go through liver. A lot of trans woman use a rectal suppository of progesterone, though I think injections would work too if you don't want to stick stuff up your bum. Theoretically, once you are an a large dose of E2, the estrogen will suppress your T levels and cause your testes to shutdown

Theoretically once your T levels reach near-zero, you wouldn't need any blockers or 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, but even after testicular shutdown there will be some small amount of T produced in the adrenal glands. This usually isn't a problem, but if you have some type of crazy overexpression of ARs, who knows. Just be aware that having zero testosterone at all is usually not good, even women need small amounts for normal physiological functioning

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Jacob Williams you seem to have a good understanding about antiandrogen medications for the most part and seem to know the risks. I just encourage you to actually get your blood levels checked for hormone levels. This isn't the type of thing that you can go by how you feel. Also, I think you should maybe give treatment more time before changing. Frequently changing treatments can cause sheds.

As for antigonadotropins (as opposed to blockers), you could try progesterone, though I believe that it can't be taken orally because it can't go through liver. A lot of trans woman use a rectal suppository of progesterone, though I think injections would work too if you don't want to stick stuff up your bum. Theoretically, once you are an a large dose of E2, the estrogen will suppress your T levels and cause your testes to shutdown

Theoretically once your T levels reach near-zero, you wouldn't need any blockers or 5-alpha reductase inhibitors, but even after testicular shutdown there will be some small amount of T produced in the adrenal glands. This usually isn't a problem, but if you have some type of crazy overexpression of ARs, who knows. Just be aware that having zero testosterone at all is usually not good, even women need small amounts for normal physiological functioning
Nice review. Any idea how much is commonly used rectally? @Bridgburn used to cycle.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

I posted that one article yesterday and those folks were only on .625mg premarin and suppressing testosterone and I was on a similar typical dose that was not suppressing testosterone so it depends on a variety of factors.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I am no longer of the belief that DHT is even close to 50% of the cause for most types of even patterned hair loss, I've been through a phase where I utterly nuked my test levels and especially DHT and the pattern hairloss persisted for an extended period of time.

It is my belief based on observed evidence, not broscience that hair vulnerable to what we commonly discern to be androgenic means of loss is actually a broad spectrum vulnerability that applies to various types of inflammation and also a broad range of hormones including GH, prolactin and insulin. They are all related, if the conventional perception were true then finasteride would be a gold standard panacea with virtually no side effects because every case of hairloss would be precisely the same.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am no longer of the belief that DHT is even close to 50% of the cause for most types of even patterned hair loss, I've been through a phase where I utterly nuked my test levels and especially DHT and the pattern hairloss persisted for an extended period of time.

It is my belief based on observed evidence, not broscience that hair vulnerable to what we commonly discern to be androgenic means of loss is actually a broad spectrum vulnerability that applies to various types of inflammation and also a broad range of hormones including GH, prolactin and insulin. They are all related, if the conventional perception were true then finasteride would be a gold standard panacea with virtually no side effects because every case of hairloss would be precisely the same.
Why don't eunuchs go bald then?

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don't eunuchs go bald then?

Are you honestly going to provide such a culturally irrelevant example as the standard by which the rest of modern civilization should be measured against? Really? Eunuchs aren't a prevalent population anymore, why even cite that?

Are you interested in understanding the nature of pattern hair loss in modern societies or are you trying to win a really lame argument via sophistry?