Exploring The Hormonal Route. Hair=life.

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairloss has progressed on 10mg oral minoxidil, 100-150mg Bicalutamide (I take it from 2 sources, I know for sure that 100mg of it is legit, not sure about the other 50mg), 25mg CPA, and 0.5mg dutasteride. I have no idea how. I’m going to be adding 2-3 pumps of estrogel as is recommended in the other thread about regrowing hair while maintaining as much masculinity as possible. I know I’m going to get side effects, I just hope they’re tolerable. My hair is very important to me and I don’t want to feel disgusting. I’m only 19 but I’m 5’11 with broad shoulders and I haven’t grown in years. The regimen I’m currently on has been relatively well tolerated side effect wise but in the past I’ve proven to be extra sensitive to excess estrogen (particularly breast wise). I plan to get gyno surgery before I begin since I already have gyno from when I was taking Bicalutamide alone and let the T and subsequent E increase run wild. The surgeon is famous in his field and has claimed that he can remove the entire gland so that recurrence is impossible even if I take drugs like dutasteride and Spironolactone (which are several magnitudes of strength below what I’m taking but he’s one of only a few surgeons who will even make that claim). I hope that will mitigate the gyno or at least decrease it’s capacity for growth. I’m also debating whether it would be better to let the estrogen run its course and let it max out my breast growth capacity at that dosage before I get surgery since breast reductions seem to work permanently unless there’s a hormone fluctuation. I’m going to get really strict with my diet and workout regimen so hopefully I don’t lose too much muscle. I think if I’m very devoted to the gym I should at least be able to maintain a normal looking body. A body builders physique may no longer be possible but I’d rather have hair with an average body than be bald and fit. Obvious sexual sides depend a lot. We’ll see what happens but I’ll have some v**** on hand to take periodically to avoid penile shrinkage if my ED is really bad. Sucks that I won’t be able to have kids but realistically I don’t want to pass on my sh*t balding genetics that start at 17 and don’t stop even with a heavy anti androgen regimen. I really hope this works but I’m dubious. If what I’ve done up to this point hasn’t worked against all odds, why should I expect relatively low doses of estrogen to give me what I want? I don’t know though. I’m getting pretty desperate. At the very least starting estrogen can give me some glimmer of hope and purpose for a little while, which I lose when I realized that my hair was deteriorating on my current regimen.

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairloss has progressed on 10mg oral minoxidil, 100-150mg Bicalutamide (I take it from 2 sources, I know for sure that 100mg of it is legit, not sure about the other 50mg), 25mg CPA, and 0.5mg dutasteride. I have no idea how. I’m going to be adding 2-3 pumps of estrogel as is recommended in the other thread about regrowing hair while maintaining as much masculinity as possible. I know I’m going to get side effects, I just hope they’re tolerable. My hair is very important to me and I don’t want to feel disgusting. I’m only 19 but I’m 5’11 with broad shoulders and I haven’t grown in years. The regimen I’m currently on has been relatively well tolerated side effect wise but in the past I’ve proven to be extra sensitive to excess estrogen (particularly breast wise). I plan to get gyno surgery before I begin since I already have gyno from when I was taking Bicalutamide alone and let the T and subsequent E increase run wild. The surgeon is famous in his field and has claimed that he can remove the entire gland so that recurrence is impossible even if I take drugs like dutasteride and Spironolactone (which are several magnitudes of strength below what I’m taking but he’s one of only a few surgeons who will even make that claim). I hope that will mitigate the gyno or at least decrease it’s capacity for growth. I’m also debating whether it would be better to let the estrogen run its course and let it max out my breast growth capacity at that dosage before I get surgery since breast reductions seem to work permanently unless there’s a hormone fluctuation. I’m going to get really strict with my diet and workout regimen so hopefully I don’t lose too much muscle. I think if I’m very devoted to the gym I should at least be able to maintain a normal looking body. A body builders physique may no longer be possible but I’d rather have hair with an average body than be bald and fit. Obvious sexual sides depend a lot. We’ll see what happens but I’ll have some v**** on hand to take periodically to avoid penile shrinkage if my ED is really bad. Sucks that I won’t be able to have kids but realistically I don’t want to pass on my sh*t balding genetics that start at 17 and don’t stop even with a heavy anti androgen regimen. I really hope this works but I’m dubious. If what I’ve done up to this point hasn’t worked against all odds, why should I expect relatively low doses of estrogen to give me what I want? I don’t know though. I’m getting pretty desperate. At the very least starting estrogen can give me some glimmer of hope and purpose for a little while, which I lose when I realized that my hair was deteriorating on my current regimen.
Jesus christ dude, be careful on those levels of bicalutamide and CPA. Not to mention that high dose of min. That'd be real rough on your liver. That amount of drugs should be excessive. Get your blood levels checked for androgen and estrogen levels. Along with liver enzymes to make sure you're not giving yourself liver failure.

How long have you been on these medicines? And have you been taking pictures of your hair to be sure that your balding is progressing? Judging by counting shedding hairs or just looking in the mirror is a very unreliable way of determining hairloss, photographs are much more sure. With antiandrogen medication, the goal is just to stop further hairloss. Not necessarily regrow lost hair (other medications have that effect). Make sure that you have clear photographic evidence of your hairloss getting progressively worse over an extended period of time while on those medications. And show pics to close friends and family to see if they can tell progression.

If you really are losing hair that quickly at that young of an age on that many medications, I'd say that its likely that you have something other than androgenic alopecia going on, and I'd try and rule out other causes of hairloss.

Anyway, on the topic of medications - I can't suggest antiandrogens to someone under 18, especially that many at that strength. Essentially you'll be stopping much of your further pubertal development. If you want to risk that, then that's your choice, though, I guess.

If I were in your situation, I would add a topical AR inhibitor (dutasteride or finasteride) and a topical AR blocker (RU or CB) before adding other medications. It's possible that even if your serum DHT/test levels are low, the levels in your hair follicles are still significant and additional topical medication could help that without systemic side effects

If I were you, I'd want to get off of bicalutamide and CPA due to potential liver issues. Or at least reduce the dosage. If you want to nuke your systematic T levels, antigonadotropins are the way to go ("chemical castration") instead of just blocking. Progesterone can be used as an antigonadotropin, also lupron. If you use estrogens, the goal is to use the estrogens to suppress androgen production to the point that you don't need additional AAs. The idea is to get your FSH and LH levels to hit close to zero. This will cause testicular shrinkage and possibly permanent infertility. Personally, if I were in your situation, I would get off all of those AAs since you're still very young. Permanent infertility and aborting puberty is a lot to deal with at age 17.

Also know that its generally a bad idea to have low testosterone levels AND low estrogen levels. Generally people need some type of sex hormone in their body. Without either, long term effects include loss of bone density and short term effects can be mood swings, depression, "brain fog," hot flashes - basically menopause. If you're blocking or nuking all your T, especially if you're going to be on these drugs long term, you need to add in some estrogens or SERMs

Estrogens are one of the strongest types of chemicals we have to fight androgenic alopecia. They act both as an anti-androgen to stop balding and as growth stimulants to regrow hair. As you know, estrogens have very significant side effects in men. Personally, I am using estriol, which is a weaker form of estrogen. I think you should try weaker therapies with less chance of sides before moving on to the strong stuff. Fixing male pattern baldness takes a long time, you won't see changes overnight.

Last edited:

Androgenic Alpaca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Jesus christ dude, be careful on those levels of bicalutamide and CPA. Not to mention that high dose of min. That'd be real rough on your liver. That amount of drugs should be excessive. Get your blood levels checked for androgen and estrogen levels. Along with liver enzymes to make sure you're not giving yourself liver failure.

How long have you been on these medicines? And have you been taking pictures of your hair to be sure that your balding is progressing? Judging by counting shedding hairs or just looking in the mirror is a very unreliable way of determining hairloss, photographs are much more sure. With antiandrogen medication, the goal is just to stop further hairloss. Not necessarily regrow lost hair (other medications have that effect). Make sure that you have clear photographic evidence of your hairloss getting progressively worse over an extended period of time while on those medications. And show pics to close friends and family to see if they can tell progression.

If you really are losing hair that quickly at that young of an age on that many medications, I'd say that its likely that you have something other than androgenic alopecia going on, and I'd try and rule out other causes of hairloss.

Anyway, on the topic of medications - I can't suggest antiandrogens to someone under 18, especially that many at that strength. Essentially you'll be stopping much of your further pubertal development. If you want to risk that, then that's your choice, though, I guess.

If I were in your situation, I would add a topical AR inhibitor (dutasteride or finasteride) and a topical AR blocker (RU or CB) before adding other medications. It's possible that even if your serum DHT/test levels are low, the levels in your hair follicles are still significant and additional topical medication could help that without systemic side effects

If I were you, I'd want to get off of bicalutamide and CPA due to potential liver issues. Or at least reduce the dosage. If you want to nuke your systematic T levels, antigonadotropins are the way to go ("chemical castration") instead of just blocking. This will cause testicular shrinkage and possibly permanent infertility. Personally, if I were in your situation, I would get off all of those AAs since you're still very young. Permanent infertility and aborting puberty is a lot to deal with at age 17.

Also know that its generally a bad idea to have low testosterone levels AND low estrogen levels. Generally people need some type of sex hormone in their body. Without either, long term effects include loss of bone density and short term effects can be mood swings, depression, "brain fog," hot flashes - basically menopause. If you're blocking or nuking all your T, especially if you're going to be on these drugs long term, you need to add in some estrogens or SERMs

Estrogens are one of the strongest types of chemicals we have to fight androgenic alopecia. They act both as an anti-androgen to stop balding and as growth stimulants to regrow hair. As you know, estrogens have very significant side effects in men. Personally, I am using estriol, which is a weaker form of estrogen. I think you should try weaker therapies with less chance of sides before moving on to the strong stuff. Fixing male pattern baldness takes a long time, you won't see changes overnight.

Just to be clear, I really think you should slow down and use less extreme therapies - and rule out the possibility of other causes of hair loss - but if you insist on going balls-to-the-walls (or lack of balls, I guess), I'm giving you information for harm reduction purposes

Gergely

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Surgeons usually don't remove the entire gland, since if they do it bad it can lead to an indentation afaik.
Haven't looked into it too much

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

If I were you, I'd want to get off of bicalutamide and CPA due to potential liver issues. Or at least reduce the dosage. If you want to nuke your systematic T levels, antigonadotropins are the way to go ("chemical castration") instead of just blocking. Progesterone can be used as an antigonadotropin, also lupron. If you use estrogens, the goal is to use the estrogens to suppress androgen production to the point that you don't need additional AAs. The idea is to get your FSH and LH levels to hit close to zero. This will cause testicular shrinkage and possibly permanent infertility. Personally, if I were in your situation, I would get off all of those AAs since you're still very young. Permanent infertility and aborting puberty is a lot to deal with at age 17.

I’m actually 19, my hair loss started at 17 but your point still stands, 19 is quite young. Unfortunately I have pictures, videos, as well as evidence with how my hair behaves and I’m confident that my condition has continued to regress although I have no idea how. I’ve thought that maybe the issue isn’t male pattern baldness but I had a scalp biopsy when I first started balding and my dermatologist said it was. Maybe the scalp biopsy could be wrong? I also have miniaturized hairs which as fair as I’m aware is unique to male pattern baldness. My hair loss is more diffuse than anything, but I’ve lost a significant amount and I don’t have much time left to tangle with treatments that don’t work. I’m going to come off of CPA when I start estrogen because it has never really done much for me. When I was taking CPA alone it felt like I was on nothing and the only reason I’m taking it now is to prevent further gyno growth from the estrogen excess that the T increase from Bicalutamide causes. The idea was to reduce my T back to within normal levels while blocking it androgenically and at least from the perspective of preventing gyno growth it’s been successful. Obviously if I’m taking estrogen there’s no reason for that though.

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Surgeons usually don't remove the entire gland, since if they do it bad it can lead to an indentation afaik.
Man that’s what I thought as well. I even had a consultation with one surgeon who told me he couldn’t remove the whole gland, but this guy is at the top of his field and he’s quite assured that he can take out the entire thing and that it will never grow back although I’m still dubious. Some of the top surgeons actually specialize in bodybuilders who got gyno from steroids and intend to continue using steroids but don’t want it to grow back. Again I’m not entirely confident it will work, but I think it’s worth a shot.

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Man that’s what I thought as well. I even had a consultation with one surgeon who told me he couldn’t remove the whole gland, but this guy is at the top of his field and he’s quite assured that he can take out the entire thing and that it will never grow back although I’m still dubious. Some of the top surgeons actually specialize in bodybuilders who got gyno from steroids and intend to continue using steroids but don’t want it to grow back. Again I’m not entirely confident it will work, but I think it’s worth a shot.
And I’ve heard about worse than an indentation, I initially thought if you removed the whole gland your nipple would die. When I think removal of the whole gland I think mastectomy, and you can look up the photos for what those look like.

Gergely

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m actually 19, my hair loss started at 17 but your point still stands, 19 is quite young. Unfortunately I have pictures, videos, as well as evidence with how my hair behaves and I’m confident that my condition has continued to regress although I have no idea how. I’ve thought that maybe the issue isn’t male pattern baldness but I had a scalp biopsy when I first started balding and my dermatologist said it was. Maybe the scalp biopsy could be wrong? I also have miniaturized hairs which as fair as I’m aware is unique to male pattern baldness. My hair loss is more diffuse than anything, but I’ve lost a significant amount and I don’t have much time left to tangle with treatments that don’t work. I’m going to come off of CPA when I start estrogen because it has never really done much for me. When I was taking CPA alone it felt like I was on nothing and the only reason I’m taking it now is to prevent further gyno growth from the estrogen excess that the T increase from Bicalutamide causes. The idea was to reduce my T back to within normal levels while blocking it androgenically and at least from the perspective of preventing gyno growth it’s been successful. Obviously if I’m taking estrogen there’s no reason for that though.
Have you checked your thyroid function?

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you checked your thyroid function?
That was what my family doctor recommended. I dragged my feet for awhile because I didn’t believe it was a possibility since I assumed the scalp biopsy was conclusive. When I buzzed my head though I saw how strange my balding pattern was (lots of loss around the sideburns) so I took a TSH test and it was a 2.1, completely normal. I have a very strong family history on my moms side. All her brothers went completely bald very young, but I don’t think they took any steps to try to stop it.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you using two AA's and that seems like a lot of bicalutamide and a lot of CPA. I would have expected it to halt your hair loss but not reverse it perhaps so that is puzzling but virtually no one uses two AA's and not so much. In my experience, spironolactone causes way more tiredness and weakness than using just estrogen so that the only HRT med that I am depending on now. Estrogen is a natural substance almost identical to testosterone in structure while these AA's are non-natural and can be jarring to the system and cause sheds when adding them and lowering them. So that's why I am doing this without an AA and so far, really good. Today might be the first day that I can't see thinning in the crown in over thirty-six years.

Are you remaining strength on that much of those AA's? Because I was on only 200mg, sort of a standard dose of spironolactone and I was weak as a kitten until I went off it.

Last edited:

mushroom

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Did you get blood tests? I’m in the same situation, 50mg CPA and 4mg Estrogel plus 100mcg patch. Unfortunately my free testosterone is 9.7pg/ml(normal range 9-28), total T is 300ng/dL. Hair is still falling out. It could be a tumor in the testicles or adrenals.You should check it. Also check your insulin.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is gold. Even after becoming a woman the Guy couldn't get his original hairline back.

We're fucked mates.
He's no woman without estrogen. I don't think that cosmetically significant regrowth is possible without estrogen and I also pretty much think that estradiol is the only thing needed but yes, screwed because it takes at least a couple of years to get up to target levels so this isn't something quick in terms of in and out or you need at least 4 mg oral and 6 mg oral is probably better in the short-run. The AA's are only needed if someone can't hit targets with estrogen. All that stuff that @bridgeburn was taking, probably superfluous so why be taking a lot of unneeded meds?

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are you using two AA's and that seems like a lot of bicalutamide and a lot of CPA. I would have expected it to halt your hair loss but not reverse it perhaps so that is puzzling but virtually no one uses two AA's and not so much. In my experience, spironolactone causes way more tiredness and weakness than using just estrogen so that the only HRT med that I am depending on now. Estrogen is a natural substance almost identical to testosterone in structure while these AA's are non-natural and can be jarring to the system and cause sheds when adding them and lowering them. So that's why I am doing this without an AA and so far, really good. Today might be the first day that I can't see thinning in the crown in over thirty-six years.

Are you remaining strength on that much of those AA's? Because I was on only 200mg, sort of a standard dose of spironolactone and I was weak as a kitten until I went off it.
Yeah I’ve not only retained strength but I’ve actually put on about 20 pounds of muscle while on AA’s. I’ve seen a significant amount of strength gain and there’s really no outward signs of my drug use besides the gyno, some reduction in body hair, and a slight sexual dysfunction. The anti androgens have not reduced my strength at all which I’d expect from Bicalutamide since it actually increases T and does not block it anabolically, but at one point in time I was on 50mg of CPA and I felt like I was taking nothing. Makes no sense. I’m taking CPA with Bicalutamide to counteract the rise in T. My dose of CPA is high because I seem to be quite insensitive to it.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve not only retained strength but I’ve actually put on about 20 pounds of muscle while on AA’s. I’ve seen a significant amount of strength gain and there’s really no outward signs of my drug use besides the gyno, some reduction in body hair, and a slight sexual dysfunction. The anti androgens have not reduced my strength at all which I’d expect from Bicalutamide since it actually increases T and does not block it anabolically, but at one point in time I was on 50mg of CPA and I felt like I was taking nothing. Makes no sense. I’m taking CPA with Bicalutamide to counteract the rise in T. My dose of CPA is high because I seem to be quite insensitive to it.
Have you had a blood test for T and DHT?

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Did you get blood tests? I’m in the same situation, 50mg CPA and 4mg Estrogel plus 100mcg patch. Unfortunately my free testosterone is 9.7pg/ml(normal range 9-28), total T is 300ng/dL. Hair is still falling out. It could be a tumor in the testicles or adrenals.You should check it. Also check your insulin.
Man that’s crazy. I have not been getting blood tests just because it’s so expensive and inconvenient and I’m not even sure what I should be testing for. Clearly something funky is going on. I understand how a tumor could cause hair loss, but what do insulin levels have to do with it?

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you had a blood test for T and DHT?
I have not but I guess I probably should. I’ve avoided it to this point because I didn’t think it would tell me any actionable information. I know Bicalutamide raised my T levels because of the side effects I got. I know CPA has reduced my T levels to some degree because I’ve seen a cessation of those side effects when I combined the 2. A DHT test might be interesting, I’ve been on dutasteride for 2+ years but I’ve never been able to tell that it’s actually doing anything. The only drug that I can actually notice a difference shed wise when I come on or off is minoxidil and Bicalutamide. The one thing that I have not tried is a true reduction of serum T. CPA is the only attempt I’ve made at decreasing my T as opposed to just blocking it and it was pretty clearly ineffective. Could be that I’m just resistant to 5a-reductase inhibitors. I think Bicalutamide slows down my hairloss, just not nearly enough. At my dose it should be able to handle my T levels, but DHT has a significantly greater binding affinity than Bicalutamide so even if Bicalutamide exists well in excess of DHT it could still be doing damage if dutasteride isn’t doing what it’s supposed to.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have not but I guess I probably should. I’ve avoided it to this point because I didn’t think it would tell me any actionable information. I know Bicalutamide raised my T levels because of the side effects I got. I know CPA has reduced my T levels to some degree because I’ve seen a cessation of those side effects when I combined the 2. A DHT test might be interesting, I’ve been on dutasteride for 2+ years but I’ve never been able to tell that it’s actually doing anything. The only drug that I can actually notice a difference shed wise when I come on or off is minoxidil and Bicalutamide. The one thing that I have not tried is a true reduction of serum T. CPA is the only attempt I’ve made at decreasing my T as opposed to just blocking it and it was pretty clearly ineffective. Could be that I’m just resistant to 5a-reductase inhibitors. I think Bicalutamide slows down my hairloss, just not nearly enough. At my dose it should be able to handle my T levels, but DHT has a significantly greater binding affinity than Bicalutamide so even if Bicalutamide exists well in excess of DHT it could still be doing damage if dutasteride isn’t doing what it’s supposed to.
I think a T and DHT test would be useful. If they aren't suppressed, then a LHRH agonist might be an option.

Jacob Williams

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think a T and DHT test would be useful. If they aren't suppressed, then a LHRH agonist might be an option.
The problem is I only know of one affordable source for LHRH/GnRH agonists, and with how often these type of pharmacies pop up, disappear, and run out of stock, I’m confident I’d lose my access to supply at some point, and the second I’m off irreversible damage is occurring to my hair. A couple benefits of estrogen as far as I’m aware is that it’s available and affordable from multiple sources and it gives you more wiggle room since it can actually revive miniaturized hair follicles so it’s not the end of the world if I end up without access to drugs for a short period of time.

franzliszt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is I only know of one affordable source for LHRH/GnRH agonists, and with how often these type of pharmacies pop up, disappear, and run out of stock, I’m confident I’d lose my access to supply at some point, and the second I’m off irreversible damage is occurring to my hair. A couple benefits of estrogen as far as I’m aware is that it’s available and affordable from multiple sources and it gives you more wiggle room since it can actually revive miniaturized hair follicles so it’s not the end of the world if I end up without access to drugs for a short period of time.
This is where I get mine from, £60 a month isn't cheap, but if you have a job it's not so bad. I'm on the 10.8 version, which works out to be more, but it's more convenient to do it every 3 months instead of every month. it's only been 6 days since starting, so not much to report yet